Where Are All The Birds?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my quest is over,i know where all the birds have gone.They are in Ayuthaya.

Thousands and thousands of birds large and small.I kept thinking Dave Attenborough would jump out from behind a bush and start a whispering commentary.Might have to buy a plot and build a holiday hide.

i 'm delighted and nice to be glad service you

As for you impossible_me,there are many lovely ancient bridges in Ayuthaya. :o

One thing i was suprised about was the number of birds of prey in central Yangon. Even now we have a pair of kites nesting in our comms tower behind me (one fledgling fell, and i believe was subsequently eaten :o ). Normally you can look up and see these huge birds being mobbed by crows just before sunset..

Other than that we have a large number of water fowl - grebes of some sort i think. White egrets cover mostly any golf course you play on (if you're so inclined). Common mynahs, doves, some real musical black bird with a "split Y shaped tail" to name a few. Saw a flock of parrots overhead a few months ago too, but they are not common too much incity,

On a sadder note. After i came back from Bangkok for songkran break, i found some tosser had stolen "Terry" ....mucho pissed off as he was a nice friendly bird i kept :D

Seeing this thread reminds me that just one or two days ago I realized something.. I never see Seagulls here ?!?!

Every coast and fishing place I have been to before in Europe the Americas Africa etc I have seen gulls, I thought they were a pretty universal adaptation to the shore life...

None in Thailand ??

Seeing this thread reminds me that just one or two days ago I realized something.. I never see Seagulls here ?!?!

Every coast and fishing place I have been to before in Europe the Americas Africa etc I have seen gulls, I thought they were a pretty universal adaptation to the shore life...

None in Thailand ??

Bangpoo is famous for them at the right time of year (can't remember when that is though). You can even feed them as they fly alongside the pier.

< i found some tosser had stolen "Terry" ....mucho pissed off as he was a nice friendly bird i kept >

Hi Phazey

What were the circumstances?

What species?

Was the bird caged?

Sorry to read of theft of a pet. :o

He was just a regular "garden goose" - seems like some people from the military camp across the lake swam over and knabbed him for the pot....June is pining like mad at the minute - she's been getting some TLC whenever i can.

R.I.P Terry :D

• 1 month later...
Speaking of birds of prey, are there eagles in Thailand?  What kinds of eagles, and in which provinces?

I've seen many white sea eagles on the inaccessable limestone islands in Phang Nga Bay. Unfortunately, I've also seen far too many in Soi Bangla posing for photos on tourists shoulders!

I think i may have swallows nesting in the sugar palms in my garden

I would say they were asian palm swifts rather than swallows.Build their nests made of saliva on the under side of palm leaves.Swallows nest in Europe and migrate to Africa in the winter.You can tell by the length of tail,swallows long and swifts short.

With all this talk on bird watching, I am surprised that so far, nobody has mentioned the most famous bird watching point in Thailand. This small strip of land with several watering holes, is the year round home to one of Thailand most beautiful birds. Every year, thousands of bird watchers visit Thailand and stake out this veritable plethora of native bird display. Situated in the province of Chonburi, this wild life sanctuary is home to one of the most beautiful birds in South East Asia – the Siam Brown Tit.

The Siam Brown Tit is generally much smaller than the European and English varieties. However, they are small exquisite birds with gorgeous plumage and insatiable mating habits. They are excellent nest builders and usually produce two chicks for the doting male of the species. It is the mating and breeding habits of these tropical Brown Tits that captivates Hornythologists from all around the world. At dusk, just on the edge of the village of Pattaya, bird fanciers gather around the sanctuary ~ affectionately known by the locals as ‘Walking Street.’ Pretty soon the whole area is full of Siamese Brown Tits, chattering away and grooming and preening themselves ready for the courtship process.

Like clock work, as soon as the sun sets, the male tits appear on the strip. However, before the courting commences, the male tits go through a strange ritual of filling themselves up with liquid from the surrounding water holes. Once their stomachs become bloated, they puff out their chests and commence the search to find a mate for the night. Some males have been known to mate more than once in the same evening ! some males fight with other males for the affection of the prettiest brown-tits. Some male tits just fall over and regurgitate the liquid they have filled up with. After several years study, scientists have concluded that it is the liquid that causes the male tits to fall over and walk wobbly, not their over excited sexual state as first speculated.

Once the brown tits have chosen a mating partner they fly to the nest and proceed to engage in a frantic, vigorous thrashing and long lasting mating session. Unlike European and British white tits, the Siam brown tits like to mate all night long…..sometimes hopping from nest to nest to experience different mating styles. The Siam Brown Tits have been observed mating with North American tits, English and European tits and occasionally large African tits. Being a migratory bird, the Siam Brown Tits have been know to settle in the Uk, USA and across Europe. It seems though that they never quite get used to the cold climate, and will often prepare for the long flight back to Thailand by clearing out the nest before a quick departure.

So next time you are near ‘Walking Street’ take a moment to observe the fascinating Siam Brown Tit in its natural habitat. :o

Edited by afalang

With all this talk on bird watching, I am surprised that so far, nobody has mentioned the most famous bird watching point in Thailand.  This small strip of land with several watering holes, is the year round home to one of Thailand most beautiful birds.  Every year, thousands of bird watchers visit Thailand and stake out this veritable plethora of native bird display.  Situated in the province of Chonburi, this wild life sanctuary is home to one of the most beautiful birds in South East  Asia – the Siam Brown Tit.

The Siam Brown Tit is generally much smaller than the European and English varieties.  However, they are small exquisite birds with gorgeous plumage and insatiable mating habits.  They are excellent nest builders and usually produce two chicks for the doting male of the species.  It is the mating and breeding habits of these tropical Brown Tits that captivates Hornythologists from all around the world.  At dusk, just on the edge of the village of Pattaya, bird fanciers gather around the sanctuary ~ affectionately known by the locals as ‘Walking Street.’  Pretty soon the whole area is full of Siamese Brown Tits, chattering away and grooming and preening themselves ready for the courtship process. 

Like clock work, as soon as the sun sets, the male tits appear on the strip.  However, before the courting commences, the male tits go through a strange ritual of filling themselves up with liquid from the surrounding water holes.  Once their stomachs become bloated, they puff out their chests and commence the search to find a mate for the night.  Some males have been known to mate more than once in the same evening !  some males fight with other males for the affection of the prettiest brown-tits.  Some male tits just fall over and regurgitate the liquid they have filled up with.  After several years study, scientists have concluded that it is the liquid that causes the male tits to fall over and walk wobbly, not their over excited sexual state as first speculated. 

Once the brown tits have chosen a mating partner they fly to the nest and proceed to engage in a frantic, vigorous thrashing and long lasting mating session.  Unlike European and British white tits, the Siam brown tits like to mate all night long…..sometimes hopping from nest to nest to experience different mating styles.  The Siam Brown Tits have been observed mating with North American tits, English and European tits and occasionally large African tits.  Being a migratory bird, the Siam Brown Tits have been know to settle in the Uk, USA and across Europe.  It seems though that they never quite get used to the cold climate, and will often prepare for the long flight back to Thailand by clearing out the nest before a quick departure.

So next time you are near ‘Walking Street’ take a moment to observe the fascinating Siam Brown Tit in its natural habitat.  :o

Are these "Siam Brown Tits" at all related to a common variety of bearded mollusc I once observed in the same vicinity, in which case I am confused as to the taxonomy of said species? :D

Are these "Siam Brown Tits" at all related to a common variety of bearded mollusc I once observed in the same vicinity, in which case I am confused as to the taxonomy of said species?  :D

absolutely taxonomoly correct sir. The 'Barfinus Totakeus'

commonly called the Siam Brown Tit :o

• 3 weeks later...
With all this talk on bird watching, I am surprised that so far, nobody has mentioned the most famous bird watching point in Thailand. This small strip of land with several watering holes, is the year round home to one of Thailand most beautiful birds. Every year, thousands of bird watchers visit Thailand and stake out this veritable plethora of native bird display. Situated in the province of Chonburi, this wild life sanctuary is home to one of the most beautiful birds in South East Asia – the Siam Brown Tit.

On every forum there is always someone who loves to come along and hammer the average IQ of contributors to a thread,coming as they do at the bottom end of the IQ continuum,way,way from the peak of the Bell curve. Most people cluster around the average (IQ 100) but some like to inhabit the lower quartile,often it seems living in a place such as Pattaya.

Is there a bird that makes a sound like a howler monkey as something in the local brush makes a right racket.

It's probably a bird calleds the Common Coucal, or "Nok Doo Waow" in Thai (can't type Thai on this computer) because the call is an oft repeated "Doo Waow". Quite an attractive bird the size of an English Jackdaw, all black but with beautiful Chestnut wings and a bright red eye.

Patrick

I think Patrick is spot on with a Coucal,makes a whooping sound from dense undergrowth.

On every forum there is always someone who loves to come along and hammer the average IQ of contributors

Do not worry.It comes with the territory.If you are going to post to a forum there will always be those whose mental age stuck at single digits and think it's funny to post idiotic ramblings.It takes very little to amuse such a small brain so just filter it out.In My Controls down on the left hand side is a manage ignored users button which can,if you wish, rid you of moronic scousers.

Edited by aletta

My wife was telling me there are no hummingbirds in Thailand. I've seen plenty back in Canada and am familiar with the way they zip around and hover.

Yet, today, a few hours after we were done planting new flower trees and plants, I was amazed to see the smallest humming bird ever... It was about 3/4 of an inch ( 1 1/2cm) in lenght and of a brownish colour. We actually thought it was a large wasp at first but could clearly see it a few feet away from us, feeding on the flowers we had just sprayed minutes ago.

One website I've found was saying there are no hummingbirds here but mentionned a moth that strangely behaves like a hummingbird.

I'm 99% positive it was not a moth.

Has anyone else ever seen hummingbirds here in Thailand?

There are no Hummingbirds in Thailand.

What you see here are Sunbirds, Nectariniidae, there are approximately 20 species in Thailand ranging is size from 4” to 6” from bill to tail (size is notoriously difficult to estimate in the field and many birds look much smaller than they actually are). Males of most species have brilliant metallic coloured plumage with elongated central tail-feathers – the females have much duller polumage - and slender curved bills. They eat nectar and insects and are usually seen hovering in front of flowering trees or shrubs, which makes many people mistake them for Hummingbirds (although the wingbeats of the Sunbirds is significantly slower than that of Hummingbirds).

Patrick

There are no Hummingbirds in Thailand.

What you see here are Sunbirds, Nectariniidae, there are approximately 20 species in Thailand ranging is size from 4” to 6” from bill to tail (size is notoriously difficult to estimate in the field and many birds look much smaller than they actually are). Males of most species have brilliant metallic coloured plumage with elongated central tail-feathers – the females have much duller polumage - and slender curved bills. They eat nectar and insects and are usually seen hovering in front of flowering trees or shrubs, which makes many people mistake them for Hummingbirds (although the wingbeats of the Sunbirds is significantly slower than that of Hummingbirds).

Patrick

Brownie, I believe you.

I would never argue with a twitcher :o

How many species are there in LoS?

They are fascinating birds to watch when feeding.

What could you use to attract them to a garden? (the food)

Thanks for the info.

Edited by udon