Mob Closes Road In Surin Beach

doverinphuket

Just went for my run and noticed all the traffic jams. Called my girlfriend who cant drive the car back from Kamala to Surin because of the backlog of cars, making the route by car difficult since about 3:30pm.

It is only a handful of guys from what I saw and 3-4 cars and some bikes blocking the small intersection between Surin Beach road and leading to Bang Tao.

I was told it is the renewal of the protests that where held in Kamala recently about the non action or action of the Kamala Police over a local youth that was attacked form the area.

The rain is really coming down heavy in Surin since 4:30pm so maybe they may shift?

Never a dull moment here is there...

Just been back down on the bike. Had to help about 5 cars reverse around on this tight road to avoid getting stuck further on where the barricade is. Seems the drivers Thai and Foreigners I spoke to had no idea there was a road block and were thinking it was just a road accident going to clear.

Also spoke to one of the protesters who had just moved some objects into the road. He wasn't saying much but confirmed it was about Kamala Police incident. They have reinforced the road block now with large concrete slabs across the road.

Not a policeman in sight.... I presume fearing a face off with the small crowd of protesters. Its all very quite with no shouting or unrest as yet.

Looks as if this may go on all night!

Yes thats the thread... thanks Jetset. One guy told me it was related to the Kamala protest. I saw him involved in placing objects in the road to black cars and move a bike in the way.

It could be something else though! as I can only go of what he said, but was only a handful of people involved but look like they are not moving.

Edited by LivinginKata

Information I was just told is that it is not related to the Kamala incident. Apparently a fresh shooting today in Surin of an 11 year old boy by a neighbour has caused the protest. But with the jungle drums beating around who really knows?

Some lady who was standing near her car said to me she had heard it was about some shootings also. Thanks for the update and correction. Very sad to hear about a young boy involved or shot if that's the case... To many guns getting on the Island now.

Edited by Devil

More info at PH Wan Link

from the link above, to Phuketwan (ironic name!) they are saying the blockade is in response to ANOTHER incident.

The shooting of a youth today.

The cops have to wait for an arrest warrant apparently and the locals think the cops should be acting a bit quicker.

I understand feelings run high but this really is Mobocracy.

Can't get your own way? Get a load of people together and block the public highway!

I'm all for freedom of speech etc but this really is just mob mentality.

They should arrest the lot of them.

And then obviously arrest the shooter too.

This is not doing the tourist industry any good AGAIN !

I was just there, the only way through is by going around through the village down onto Surin beach and up through the carpark on the other side. I did this and got back to Patong. The cops were setting up a road block at Kamala when I passed. A young boy was shot by the son of the motorcycle repair shop owner in Bang Tao, it seems the older guy played with the kid all the time. Seems he was cleaning his gun or something and he pointed it at the kid and pulled the trigger 3 times. On the third time the gun went off and killed the kid.

I was also told the guy had fled with the kids body and this is why things have got real ugly. I did see the suspects motorbike by the side of the road, it had been smashed up real bad by a mob. From what I saw and have been told this guy better hope the cops get him before the locals do. They know who he is and I was told he is married with kids of his own.

More info at PH Wan Link

from the link above, to Phuketwan (ironic name!) they are saying the blockade is in response to ANOTHER incident.

The shooting of a youth today.

The cops have to wait for an arrest warrant apparently and the locals think the cops should be acting a bit quicker.

I understand feelings run high but this really is Mobocracy.

Can't get your own way? Get a load of people together and block the public highway!

I'm all for freedom of speech etc but this really is just mob mentality.

They should arrest the lot of them.

And then obviously arrest the shooter too.

This is not doing the tourist industry any good AGAIN !

strange, the affect on tourism was my first thought also :o

I was just there, the only way through is by going around through the village down onto Surin beach and up through the carpark on the other side. I did this and got back to Patong. The cops were setting up a road block at Kamala when I passed. A young boy was shot by the son of the motorcycle repair shop owner in Bang Tao, it seems the older guy played with the kid all the time. Seems he was cleaning his gun or something and he pointed it at the kid and pulled the trigger 3 times. On the third time the gun went off and killed the kid.

I was also told the guy had fled with the kids body and this is why things have got real ugly. I did see the suspects motorbike by the side of the road, it had been smashed up real bad by a mob. From what I saw and have been told this guy better hope the cops get him before the locals do. They know who he is and I was told he is married with kids of his own.

I heard the same story as this last night....

supposedly the shoter has already fled phuket!...

It would help if someone at the local level spoke with the protestors. I can understand the anger.

When rumours fly and variations of the story are;

.....the shooting of a youth before noon at a games shop not far from Bang Tao temple.

.... some reports said the boy had died in the incident.

....Police told Phuketwan that the young victim was in a satisfactory condition

No wonder they take to the streets.

Island resort managers and tourism industry leaders are meeting in Surin at the Chedi resort tomorrow night to consider a marketing strategy to attract more tourists to Phuket.

No amount of marketing is going to counter a valid comment in another part of the article that says it all;

''Every day, Thais seem to blacken the tourism industry with no regard to right or wrong,'' one expat businessman said.

One hel_l of a time to be running a hotel................

item --2-- VDO on http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...php?news_id=107

or

An accident shooting, which claimed a boy’s life in Cherng Thale, led to villagers protesting last night.

Phuket police recovered and examined the body of 12 years old boy identified as Amornthep Panyasirikul who was shot dead and had his body dumped in a tall grass area near Phuket Airport yesterday. Deputy Commander of the provincial police, Pol.Col. Komol Watarakorn, said witnesses reported that the boy used the internet service at Dr. Com Electronic Centre in Cherng Thale of Thalang district. The owner of the shop, Eakawut Pipatratana, then played with his gun, presuming that there was no bullet in it, but he was unfortunately wrong. He fired it and the bullet accidentally hit the boy’s head and the boy died instantly. The man was afraid so he took the boy’s body to hide in a bush before fleeing away. Police are working on bring the man into legal action. The incident led villagers in Cherng Thale to gather in front of Ban Bangtao School (near Surin beach) to protest and block a road to pressurize police to make sure that the victim receives justice and that the wrong doer be caught as soon as possible. (The blockade continued this morning).

Andaman News NBT (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 3.30pm, 7pm & 1am, a new channel on KPP cable TV, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & maybe Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, Thursday 23 April 2009 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/ & www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews.com

Edited by NBT TV Phuket

http://www.phuketgazette.net/'>jNLfOmKbull4232009-7266-1.jpgPhuket schoolboy, 12-year-old Amornthep Panya-sirikul, was the victim of gun play gone wrong at an internet and games shop yesterday afternoon.

PHUKET, CHERNG TALAY: A 12-year-old boy was shot and killed following a gun play accident at an internet and games shop in Baan Bang Tao, Cherng Talay at about noon yesterday.

The shooting occurred at Dr Com Electronic Center, located opposite Baan Bang Tao School on Srisoonthorn Road, when the owner of the cafe, Ekawood Pipatratana, 34, was showing off his .38 pistol to a group of children playing computer games there.

According to witnesses, Ekawood "playfully" pointed what he thought was an unloaded gun at Amornthep "Gaga" Panya-sirikul’s left temple.

Three friends of Gaga told the Gazette that Ekawood had been repeatedly loading and unloading bullets from the gun.

He then went and sat next to Gaga and jokingly said, "I’m going to shoot you".

The friends said that Ekawood pulled the trigger twice without incident. However, when Ekawood pulled the trigger the third time, the gun went off, seriously injuring the boy.

According to the victim’s three friends, Gaga did not die immediately from the head wound, but was losing a lot of blood and having convulsions as Ekawood closed the cafe and put Gaga in his car, telling Gaga’s friends that he would take the boy to Vachira Hospital.

However, when the victim’s parents found out about the shooting and called the hospital, they were told that Gaga had not been admitted.

By 3pm, a crowd of about 500 angry villagers had gathered at the scene of the shooting, about two kilometers from Cherng Talay Police Station.

The villagers blocked the road with make-shift barricades and demanded that police take swift action to apprehend Ekawood.

Gaga’s body was later discovered in marshland at the side of a lane near Sala Daeng Junction in the Nai Yang area at about 5:30pm.

Ekawood remains at large with his five-year-old son.

An arrest warrant has been issued for Ekawood, who police believe is still somewhere in Phuket province.

– Atchaa Khamlo

When you have a police force that does nothing in regards to enforcing the laws, well, what do you expect the locals to do?

These road closings seem to work, or at least get some satisfaction.

Until the police start doing their job properly, i expect these things will continue.

When you have a police force that does nothing in regards to enforcing the laws, well, what do you expect the locals to do?

These road closings seem to work, or at least get some satisfaction.

Until the police start doing their job properly, i expect these things will continue.

I totally agree "....Police told Phuketwan that the young victim was in a satisfactory condition " :o:D :D whereas the boy's dead body was taken by the shooter and dumped...

As a parent myself I too would demand the police get their act together and unfortunately roadblocks are becoming the only way to voices heard.

"Ekawood closed the cafe and put Gaga in his car, telling Gaga’s friends that he would take the boy to Vachira Hospital. (...)

Gaga’s body was later discovered in marshland at the side of a lane near Sala Daeng Junction in the Nai Yang area at about 5:30pm."

UTTERLY DISGUSTING! As a parent I really feel for the Boys parents. I hope they catch the Rat-bastard that did this!

(absolutely fuming, i have more words to say about this but don't want to get penalized for profanity) :o

For those proposing "mob justice" of such then surely blockading the police station would be more effective than blocking a road that inconveniences a large amount of people that have had nothing to do with this tragedy?

The problem with guns here is obviously a major problem, and should be eradicated (but won't), however the shutting of roads whenever a mob is unhappy with something is not assisting this place in a time of economic crisis.

Hopefully the police can catch this killer and remand him in custody as soon as possible and also remove this unlawful blockade to allow access for all tax payers and tourists that require the use of this public road.

...Police told Phuketwan that the young victim was in a satisfactory condition " :o:D :D whereas the boy's dead body was taken by the shooter and dumped...

OMG! Is that what PhuketWan said? I know the Phuket Gazette is not the quickest to report the news, but they usually get the facts straight.

Something to remember the next time PhuketWan comes out with some "breaking news".

...Police told Phuketwan that the young victim was in a satisfactory condition " :o:D:D whereas the boy's dead body was taken by the shooter and dumped...

OMG! Is that what PhuketWan said? I know the Phuket Gazette is not the quickest to report the news, but they usually get the facts straight.

Something to remember the next time PhuketWan comes out with some "breaking news".

I believe they were just reporting what the police had told them

A mob has closed the road in Surin beach from both directions. Make alternate arrangements if needing to drive through here.

Yes, and i understand it's likely to go on for some time. It's about the shooting death of a 12 year old boy in an internet cafe in Bangtao. There's a story on it on the Gazette website. They even had to cancel a meeting tonight in Surin set up to help promote tourism. But how can you promote tourism with mob after mob after mob creating such a bad image for Thailand?

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Boy killed in gun play gone wrong

Phuket schoolboy, 12-year-old Amornthep Panya-sirikul, was the victim of gun play gone wrong at an internet and games shop yesterday afternoon.

First I am deeply saddened, then astonished that there is such a thing as "gun play". It makes it sound like it's o.k. to have a gun out around children ("play").

What type of complete idiot 1. shows off a weapon to kids 2. pulls the trigger while it's aimed at someone.....(?)

I don't care if you KNOW the gun is not loaded, you still don't do that !

Here the kid is just playing computer games and ends up dead..........

I'm terribly sorry for the family

First I am deeply saddened, then astonished that there is such a thing as "gun play". It makes it sound like it's o.k. to have a gun out around children ("play").

What type of complete idiot 1. shows off a weapon to kids 2. pulls the trigger while it's aimed at someone.....(?)

I don't care if you KNOW the gun is not loaded, you still don't do that !

Here the kid is just playing computer games and ends up dead..........

I'm terribly sorry for the family

Well said Huggy. My exact thought.....