Is Nicaragua Right To Give Thaksin A Passport?

thailandlover

I see alot of criticism on this board for it, but don't you feel that as a sovereign nation its their choice who they give passports to? Or do you feel that this kind of thing should not be allowed?

I don't believe this is a case of sovereignty, I think people are speculating on what was done to obtain the passport, and whether that should be allowed. If someone can buy their way into a passport, is it then okay that people can buy a degree or TEFL in Khao San? Which crosses the line into illegality? Which should?

I think this says novels about the priorities that certain countries have (understandably in many cases), but assisting a criminal in an obvious manner makes them look bad on the world stage.

LOL.. they're a souvereign nation and have effectively granted Dr. Thaksin asylum. What you plan to do about it? That's what sovereign nations can do and (in my opinion) must do. Thaksin is being prosecuted on largely trumpted up politically motivated charges by the military/feudal rulers who first committed in an illegal coup, then threw out the constitution to make the coup 'legal', then enacted laws that suited them, and then prosecuted Thaksin under those new laws.. It's utterly disgraceful. So quite obvious that some more liberal/leftist leaning countries want to help out. Kudos to Mr. Ortega!

:o .....Yeah right....Taksin is the innocent party, he has been hard done by !!!...all he has done is cared about Thailand and the Thai people....<deleted>....Taksin has blood on his hands as well

.Yeah right....Taksin is the innocent party, he has been hard done by !!!...all he has done is cared about Thailand and the Thai people....<deleted>....Taksin has blood on his hands as well

Hey, hey, I'm not saying that! Easy to put words into my mouth. Thaksin had many failings, so much so that I wouldn't have voted for him if I could. But objectively he represented a lot of people who continue to support him to this day. The way he was deposed and then prosecuted is simply not proper, so in the context of getting political asylum or not I think he's entitled to it.

He's also entitled to have the coup plotters locked up and tried for treason, having the '97 People's Constitution reinstated, having TRT and its leadership reinstated, and having proper elections under UN supervision. THEN under a legal system that's not a puppet theater it would be good if some of the legal proceedings commenced so he can have a fair day in court.

Edited by Mario2008
name edited in quoted text

LOL.. they're a souvereign nation and have effectively granted Dr. Thaksin asylum. What you plan to do about it? That's what sovereign nations can do and (in my opinion) must do. Thaksin is being prosecuted on largely trumpted up politically motivated charges by the military/feudal rulers who first committed in an illegal coup, then threw out the constitution to make the coup 'legal', then enacted laws that suited them, and then prosecuted Thaksin under those new laws.. It's utterly disgraceful. So quite obvious that some more liberal/leftist leaning countries want to help out. Kudos to Mr. Ortega!

Poor Thaksin :o why does it not surprise me that you are from Chang Mai....

So quite obvious that some more liberal/leftist leaning countries want to help out. Kudos to Mr. Ortega!
Some liberal.

Nicaragua is a close ally of IRAN. Ortega can do what he wants, but coddling criminal Thaksin is yet another strain on Nicaragua's international reputation.

Edited by Jingthing

It's strange how some 'liberal' people in a Western sense support a feudal regime in Thailand that very much tries to keep the poor down and uneducated and without real political power. I sincerely don't even understand how that works in people's heads. Jingthing for example always struck me as a liberal kind of person when the topic is something other than Thailand. Even Sriracha John I think favored the liberal/left wing side of things when the topic was the USA.

It's strange how some 'liberal' people in a Western sense support a feudal regime in Thailand that very much tries to keep the poor down and uneducated and without real political power. I sincerely don't even understand how that works in people's heads. Jingthing for example always struck me as a liberal kind of person when the topic is something other than Thailand. Even Sriracha John I think favored the liberal/left wing side of things when the topic was the USA.

Simple. Because on the left and the right and everywhere else there are leaders who are dangerous and unacceptably corrupt. There is no way in hel_l I would call Thaksin left wing or liberal anyway, you cannot characterize Thai politics that way. If you actually think Thaksin is a man of the people or a Thai Che Gueverra, you aren't paying attention. Chavez is another example of a "left wing" leader who is dangerous and undemocratic, while the President of Iran, Ortega's buddy, is an unclassifiable madman.

Edited by Jingthing

The word 'Right' is perhaps not the most appropriate. Nicaragua will give ANYBODY citizenship. It costs about $8000 US, and as they are not interested a jot in Thai politics then why not. Take the money and his investment I say. But if Thaksin tries to play amongst the elite there, he will see just how ruthless and nasty humans can be, and he will lose all. Maybe it is a blessing he is going there. When he ends up in a Thai jail or maybe even a Nicaraguan jail...ouch! in 10 years time as a pauper, that will be far sweeter than him going now for a couple of years and then coming out to billions.

Well just read these forums and look at all the crazies thailand gives visa to, now that is a crime against humanity.

LOL......... :o

Thanks you made me spit coffee on my monitor.

Dang that was funny

Actually I am very glad Thaksin has been admitted into Nicaragua. Imagine living there, it is probably worse than luxury Jain in Thailand. Besides, he can not really do anything more anyways since his creditability as Red Shirt leader is also has been demolished. So viva Nicaragua for Thaksin

I hope the whole family go there to have a family reunion :o

So, other than the usual political pro and anti-thaksin posts, its interesting to hear some opinions on this. Meridian2007 has a good point regarding how this passport was obtained and it would be interesting to hear if it is actually legal to buy a Nicaraguan passport? If it is allowed by their laws, then I guess that is their choice and anyone with money, regardless of who they are, would be allowed to purchase one. Or perhaps there is some kind of vetting process?

Simple. Because on the left and the right and everywhere else there are leaders who are dangerous and unacceptably corrupt. There is no way in hel_l I would call Thaksin left wing or liberal anyway, you cannot characterize Thai politics that way. If you actually think Thaksin is a man of the people or a Thai Che Gueverra, you aren't paying attention. Chavez is another example of a "left wing" leader who is dangerous and undemocratic, while the President of Iran, Ortega's buddy, is an unclassifiable madman.

You are right winnie (the pooh?)

All these people you are labelling as madman etc are those who attacked:

1. Vietnam

2. Afghanistan (first time throgh neighbour countries)

3. Iraq (with the help of Kuwait)

4. Afghanistan (direct attack)

5. Iraq (for having WMD)

and therefore these mad presidents have no right to live with the civilian, human friendly world, including countries such as USA and UK :o

Nicaragua is a close ally of IRAN. Ortega can do what he wants, but coddling criminal Thaksin is yet another strain on Nicaragua's international reputation.

Not sure how close little Nicaragua is to Iran. But only sheep of the controlled media without the ability to think critically, or strict devotees of the diabolical government of Israel, would consider Iran a threat. Iran is a strategic country rich in resources, with a sophisticated and decent people, being ruthlessly manipulated by certain powerful global interests. Being an ally of Iran is like being an ally of any decent country, in my opinion. Scratch the surface and look into the history of the region, and learn the perspective of the people, from the people. You will likely agree.

But only sheep of the controlled media

Controlled by who? Don't stop, I know your kind.

Iran is a fundamentalist Islamic state where gay people are murdered, where women are oppressed, where the president denies the holocaust and threatens the stability of the entire middle east (not only Israel) with their nuke program and is a specific threat to Israel which it intends to wipe off the map (their words) for their hoped for second holocaust. And Ortega is close with Iran. As is Chavez. Got it now? There are many wonderful Iranian people, I can vouch for that personally, but their leadership is a major threat to the world.

I do understand many people in the world would like to see the Jewish state of Israel annihilated (by contrast, the only real democracy in the middle east), but trust me, they will not suffer that fate again without a serious fight. If the Israel haters merely accepted Israel's right to exist, the peace process could begin in earnest.

Edited by Jingthing