Thai Tailgaters

Onnut,

Don't mean to be rude to you, but you are in Thailand now! Traffic density is probably a lot higher than what you are used to. What you think is tail-gaiting is simply another person's view of not taking anymore room than they need to. Bear with me and think about how bad the traffic jams would be if everybody took more room than what is absolutely needed? If one assumes a car length of 3m with 2m separation, 200 cars can fit into a 1 km lane. Increase that separation to 5m and only 125 cars can fit into the same lane.

By increasing the separation, between cars, from 2m to 5m, a 5 km traffic jam becomes 8 km traffic jam. Its all about using the available space as efficiently as possible.

I have driven a lot in big cities and in rural areas. When traffic densities increase people automatically decrease the space they use and decrease their expectation on what they believe to be the appropriate space for others to use. They don't calculate the differences, they just know its the right thing to do. Talking to friends and acquaintances, I find that most conflicts about tail-gating result from different expectations of people used to city driving versus rural driving.

I would suggest that the absolutely last thing you want to do is get into a fight (to the death) over the appropriate length of traffic separation between vehicles. IMHO rule #1 of driving in Thailand, and many other countries in the world, is to cooperate, not compete, with other drivers. When in Rome.....

If all else fails and you know that you are not obstructing traffic due to you driving slower than the prevailing traffic speed in your lane - then just don't look in the rearview mirror :)

Hi mate, I know what you are saying and I think you are 100% right. I also except people driving close to me when in heavy traffic in town, 20-50KPH or around that. but at 110kph is a bit daft you have to admit. when I say that I show the brake lights, I do not just brake to scare them for no reason, I normaly try to make out that its the car in front making me brake or whatever if you get what I mean! i do not look for a fight, normally just want them to know that they are too close and could be heading for an accident. I drive to Pattaya from Bangkok very often and it is usualy on the one of the main roads once you come of the end of the elevated tollway where there is traffic in every lane.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If its one thing thats needs a topic its the drivers who drive in the fast lane at 60 to 90 kmh slowing all the traffic down just cos he just did a u turn and forgot to move out of the way of faster moving vehicles.

You problay didnt see the honda flash you to get you to move out of the way.

This is thailand drive with the flow, dont act like a farang with a rulebook on his shoulder.

The last thing you should do is touch your brakes!

If you did that to me i would see it as a confrontational action, its stupid and dangerous at best, it could result in a nasty accident, all for what?

Dont forget your going slower, the car behind is showing you he is there and wants to get past thats all, show some maturity and class and get out of the way, no need to go looking for trouble , you will find it if you drive like that.

reading your post, and it makes sense, but sometimes I am tailgated when we are in heavy traffic and I am keeping up with traffic. there is no need to tailgate then to let someone know you are coming through because there is no room for anyone. and tailgating in heavy traffic that is moving at 110 KPH with all three or so lanes full is down right stupid and they will see my brake lights. i very rarly get tailgated though as I look in my mirrors alot and see them coming, and move out the way, or stay ahead of them. but if someone is driving up my butt and there is nowhere anyone can go then that makes my blood boil.

Onnut,

Don't mean to be rude to you, but you are in Thailand now! Traffic density is probably a lot higher than what you are used to. What you think is tail-gaiting is simply another person's view of not taking anymore room than they need to. Bear with me and think about how bad the traffic jams would be if everybody took more room than what is absolutely needed? If one assumes a car length of 3m with 2m separation, 200 cars can fit into a 1 km lane. Increase that separation to 5m and only 125 cars can fit into the same lane.

By increasing the separation, between cars, from 2m to 5m, a 5 km traffic jam becomes 8 km traffic jam. Its all about using the available space as efficiently as possible.

I have driven a lot in big cities and in rural areas. When traffic densities increase people automatically decrease the space they use and decrease their expectation on what they believe to be the appropriate space for others to use. They don't calculate the differences, they just know its the right thing to do. Talking to friends and acquaintances, I find that most conflicts about tail-gating result from different expectations of people used to city driving versus rural driving.

I would suggest that the absolutely last thing you want to do is get into a fight (to the death) over the appropriate length of traffic separation between vehicles. IMHO rule #1 of driving in Thailand, and many other countries in the world, is to cooperate, not compete, with other drivers. When in Rome.....

If all else fails and you know that you are not obstructing traffic due to you driving slower than the prevailing traffic speed in your lane - then just don't look in the rearview mirror :)

Remember this "only a fool breaks the 2 second rule"

Speed is irrelevant u need a 2 second gap between vehicles measuring it on length is useless.

There's no such thing as 'slow lanes' or 'fast lanes', the right hand lanes are for overtaking only.

When being tailgated just lift your foot off the accelerator and let the car slow down until the idiot behind you moves away.

Can you please clarify for me, I understood that if there are at least 3 lanes, overtaking is allowed in ALL lanes.

Overtaking is only allowed in the right hand lane and 'undertaking' ie. on the left is only allowed when a car in the right lane is slowing down or stopped in order to turn right.

Hence when there are 3 lanes the car in the middle lane can overtake the car in the inside lane but not the car in the outside lane, and the car in the outside lane can overtake the car in the middle lane.

In either case they must both move to the far left (inside) lane in order not to obstruct the traffic flow.

I found the file with some of the Thai highway code book translated to English with the usual quirks.

post-12326-1241079641_thumb.jpg

The picture (number 2) speaks for itself, but I think the wording should be "when there are 2 or more other lanes travelling in the same direction"

I would either move over or pulll up the handbrake a little so the brake lights come on, at the same time as accelerating away. Been doing that for years in all sorts of countries

Dave

sorry to disappoint you but no car is made or has been made where putting the hand brake on activates the brake lights except for the little warning light in the dash all you doing is wearing your brakes

if you want to know the way to do this then very gently touch your brake pedal to activate the switch but not the brakes and then accelerate at the same time

On the Chonburi Bangkok Expressway they now have dots painted on one of the lanes and signs stating that there should be a minimum of 2 dots separating cars so you can see how far ahead the car in front should be.

Yep I have seen that last Saturday whilst driving back from Pattaya, similar thing on M-11 heading from London- Cambridge, Except two white painted arrows and loads of signs telling you.

Of course everybody obeying it!!.

After reading recently of how an articulated lorry had shed its container and sort of toppled over onto a pickup and killing two occupants of that vehicle. I was more concerned with giving such vehicles a wide berth. That was on the 7 I think, read about it in the Pattaya Mail-online.

There's no such thing as 'slow lanes' or 'fast lanes', the right hand lanes are for overtaking only.

When being tailgated just lift your foot off the accelerator and let the car slow down until the idiot behind you moves away.

Can you please clarify for me, I understood that if there are at least 3 lanes, overtaking is allowed in ALL lanes.

Overtaking is only allowed in the right hand lane and 'undertaking' ie. on the left is only allowed when a car in the right lane is slowing down or stopped in order to turn right.

Hence when there are 3 lanes the car in the middle lane can overtake the car in the inside lane but not the car in the outside lane, and the car in the outside lane can overtake the car in the middle lane.

In either case they must both move to the far left (inside) lane in order not to obstruct the traffic flow.

I found the file with some of the Thai highway code book translated to English with the usual quirks.

The picture (number 2) speaks for itself, but I think the wording should be "when there are 2 or more other lanes travelling in the same direction"

Defintitely some quirks in that picture.

So they advocate pulling into the right lane directly in front of that red car coming up fast?

And the yellow car shouldn't be in the middle lane of the left lane is empty.

"Overtaking is only allowed in the right hand lane and 'undertaking' ie. on the left is only allowed when a car in the right lane is slowing down or stopped in order to turn right."

.....and where did you get THAT idea?

To the car in front..........when not in your car, if I was trying toget through a door and you were standing in my way, you would see me coming and step out of the way - why is that so hard when you are in a car??

To the "brakers" - just think of a scenario that might follow on - (one of many)

he is tailgating because you are pissing him off because you are in his wayp; you "stamp' on or "gently apply" your brakes...

the car behind then collides with you......- now your car is smashed up his car is smashed up.

you have whiplash and he is angerier than ever!

You persuade him not to beat you to a pulp and the police are called - he explains that you were in the outside lane refusing to budge and then applied your brakes - you say he was too near so you got angry - the police take threaten to you down the station unless you pay for his car and in tell you future don't drive in the outside lane. Not that your car will ever get into the outside lane again.

.............do you seriously think that any police officer in THailand will listen to your pleas of "he was tailgating! he was tailgating!"?

Just GET OUT OF THE WAY!

Something else I do if I'm in a situation where somebody is tailgating and there's nothing I can do - adjust the rear view mirror (even if it doesn't need adjusting).

It simply says to the driver behind that I've seen him/her and will respond when I'm good and ready. Suprisingly effective.

Defintitely some quirks in that picture.

So they advocate pulling into the right lane directly in front of that red car coming up fast?

And the yellow car shouldn't be in the middle lane of the left lane is empty

post-12326-1241146266_thumb.jpg

It depends on how you look at the picture. If overtaking is allowed in any lane, then why assume that the red car is coming up fast?

I would assume that the 2 cars in the middle lane are driving faster and have just overtaken the slower red car. Also that the car in the left lane is travelling faster and just overtaken the 2 cars in the middle lane. That would mean that if the yellow car had moved over to the left lane, it would have moved directly into the path of the overtaking car.

This illustration was on the Department of Transport's website, which doesn't seem to be functioning now. I haven't been able to find any links that suggest the Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522 (1979) has been superceeded.

Your right slower traffic should be in the left hand lane, but as we know this is not always the case.

That would suggest to me that on a road of 3 lanes travelling in the same direction, a driver travelling slower than the main traffic flow in the middle or outside lane is breaking the law, the other driver who overtakes on the left is not.

Some excerpts from the Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522 (1979)

Section 34

[if the road is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction, the driver shall keep to the outermost left-hand side lane. If the outermost left-hand side lane is a bus lane, the driver shall keep close to the bus lane. Except following situations:

a. there is obstruction on the road

b. the road is prescribed as one-way

c. it is necessary to enter the correct lane upon approaching a junction

d. when overtaking another vehicle

e. when driving faster than vehicles in the left-hand side lane.

Section 35

The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle, vehicle of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction, shall keep to the curbside of the roadway as close as possible.

If such a roadway is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction or has a bus lane specifically arranged on the left-hand side, the driver shall drive the vehicle in the outermost left-hand side lane or close to the bus lane, as the case may be.

Section 45

[No driver shall overtake another vehicle from the left-side unless:

a. the vehicle to be overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal that he is going to make a right turn

b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction.]

"Overtaking is only allowed in the right hand lane and 'undertaking' ie. on the left is only allowed when a car in the right lane is slowing down or stopped in order to turn right."

To the car in front..........when not in your car, if I was trying toget through a door and you were standing in my way, you would see me coming and step out of the way - why is that so hard when you are in a car??

To the "brakers" - just think of a scenario that might follow on - (one of many)

he is tailgating because you are pissing him off because you are in his wayp; you "stamp' on or "gently apply" your brakes...

the car behind then collides with you......- now your car is smashed up his car is smashed up.

You persuade him not to beat you to a pulp and the police are called - he explains that you were in the outside lane refusing to budge and then applied your brakes - you say he was too near so you got angry - the police take threaten to you down the station unless you pay for his car and in tell you future don't drive in the outside lane. Not that your car will ever get into the outside lane again.

.............do you seriously think that any police officer in THailand will listen to your pleas of "he was tailgating! he was tailgating!"?

Just GET OUT OF THE WAY!

and to say this one more time for those of you who do not seem to understand. it is not always possible to move out of the way as the first second and third lane can be full of traffic going at lets just say 110KPH and some idiot is tailgating you 1 meter from behind.

so then MR TVMONITOR, just how do you suppose I should get out of the way? I have a <deleted> up my arse, cars to the left and some one in front.

please explain???? I would love to know how to get out of that.

The funniest part of this entire thread now is that there are 2 groups of posters:

1) Posters arguing violently with each other about "which rule is correct"; and

2) Posters saying that there ARE no rules at all. :D

Are you referring to mine and Pattayparent's posts? :D

We are not arguing, just trying to clarify things.

Pattaya parent is 100% correct when he says that a driver should keep to the left where possible.

Motorcyclists will sometimes get fined for overtaking to the right - very strange.

It would be nice if there was an up to date version of the rules, so at least when the BiB accuse you of doing something wrong, you have a chance to know if they are right or not.

There are definitely rules, but unfortunately most pay them little attention , if they are even aware of them. :)

Just GET OUT OF THE WAY!

and to say this one more time for those of you who do not seem to understand. it is not always possible to move out of the way as the first second and third lane can be full of traffic going at lets just say 110KPH and some idiot is tailgating you 1 meter from behind.

so then MR TVMONITOR, just how do you suppose I should get out of the way? I have a <deleted> up my arse, cars to the left and some one in front.

I would love to know how you got yourself in that situation in the first place as we all seem to agree that the outside lane is either for those going FASTER or OVERTAKING - so what are you doing there in the first place?

I've experienced around 3 occasions where I've been tailgated pretty closely.

A few things:

1) What is their common objective to tailgate? Is it to try to "push" me to go faster or get out of the way, or to show that they're "faster" than me? (I wasn't exactly 'slow' by the way, around 60 to 90 kph; and there were other available lanes to easily overtake)

60-90km is insanely slow.

2) How do you deal with them?

What I did was to piss them off by gently stepping on my brakes... it usually results in an "aggressive" honk but then they change lane immediately and look for someone else to tailgate.

Immature and could cause an accident. Well Done.

How about you?

I don't let other people bother me.

As a new driver, the thing I get honked at by the locals for is taking too long to turn into a busy street. I am still inexperienced with driving with motorcycles. I think the locals just let the motorcyclists worry about not getting in the way! Its been 5 years since I was behind the wheel, and I just did the conversion from kph to mph and I am kind of surprised that my last trip on a Thai highway saw me going 160 kph, as I thought this felt like 75 mph, but was instead much more than that.

In the USA you will get a four hundred dollar ticket for that. I am definitely going to take advantage of Thailand's lawlessness in this regard. Stay in the left lane with the ladies OP.

Edited by TonySoprano

Yeah, the motorcycles will get out of your way. Don't worry about them.

Of course, don't blatantly pull out in front of them (and perhaps allow for elderly riders, and those with infants/children), but if they have 'escape' (in aviation terms) in the next lane, by all means go ahead and merge in already.

:)

Toss one of those Rai-batons out the window into the path of your tailgater. Nothing slows them down better than running over a tube of steel while going 140+.

Foreign drivers in Thailand may have noticed that hooting (amongst car/motorcycle drivers) is actually very rare - if you are experiencing a lot of hooting then you must be getting other motorists extremely angry and frustrated.

Also I can honestly say that in all my years of driving - I have never been in a situation where I couldn't get out of the way of a tailgater in a reasonable period of time to avoid any ill feelings.

Of course, don't blatantly pull out in front of them (and perhaps allow for elderly riders, and those with infants/children), but if they have 'escape' (in aviation terms) in the next lane, by all means go ahead and merge in already.

Hi.

This is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS advice. Because motorbikes will NOT always get out of the way! Specially the drunk riders who are speeding at night, without lights and in the wrong direction. And you, being in a car, automatically take the responsibility. Happened to me, coming out of a soi onto a main road - despite being careful i was hit by a motorbike in the mentioned circumstances (came from the wrong side, drunk, no lights, speeding, bike not insured and driver without driving license) and the police decided it was MY fault - because after all i was coming out of a soi and the motorbike was on a main road.

Here in Thailand the operator of a larger vehicle always has to take care for smaller vehicles, which is why motorbikes often show ridiculous behaviour - they know if you hit them you will be at fault regardless.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Here in Thailand the operator of a larger vehicle always has to take care for smaller vehicles, which is why motorbikes often show ridiculous behaviour - they know if you hit them you will be at fault regardless.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Maybe often the case but not always true. I have known of a few occasions when the m/bike rider has been held at fault and paid the cost of repairs to a pickup.

Mind you both parties in these cases have been Thais - no Farang involved

Edited by loong

Just GET OUT OF THE WAY!

I would love to know how you got yourself in that situation in the first place as we all seem to agree that the outside lane is either for those going FASTER or OVERTAKING - so what are you doing there in the first place?

trying to over take, but some prick is in front of me in the way. what did you think?

Very strange to read this thread coming from westerners, but guess you've 'assimilated well' :) . As for me i was NEVER really tailgated in Thailand ! Usually i am on the offencive side, but i do Pay Attention to the traffic around me, and if i see the vehicle approaching on the higher speed > & you do notice it in advance (they don't appear from nowhere!) i do accelerate until there's clear passing space & let them pass. The reasons of congestion here is that cars going slow & not keeping to the lanes do take up more time & space on the roads, creating traffic jams! Get where you need to fast & leave the road for others- is the best advise i've read on the german motoring forum . Now driven in a lot of countries, i must admit German roads are paradise on earth, so oppositee of LOS ! Guess good policing + the compulsory 'idiotentest'>that's not letting the idiots on the roads work miracles.

Only somene not considerate of other road users, can complain of tailgaters.. & what's up with you & Fortuners ?!?

i do drive small sedan & did noticed that fortuners do have a nice size-road presence.. If That Intimidates You, probably You shouldn't be driving in the first place !! Theres already thousands of traffic-frightened thais crawling on these roads !

Hi.

This is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS advice. Because motorbikes will NOT always get out of the way! Specially the drunk riders who are speeding at night, without lights and in the wrong direction. And you, being in a car, automatically take the responsibility. Happened to me, coming out of a soi onto a main road - despite being careful i was hit by a motorbike in the mentioned circumstances (came from the wrong side, drunk, no lights, speeding, bike not insured and driver without driving license) and the police decided it was MY fault - because after all i was coming out of a soi and the motorbike was on a main road.

Best regards.....

Thanh

All tongue and cheek advice, as this thread is clearly no longer about anything serious.

:D

& what's up with you & Fortuners ?!?

i do drive small sedan & did noticed that fortuners do have a nice size-road presence.. If That Intimidates You, probably You shouldn't be driving in the first place !! Theres already thousands of traffic-frightened thais crawling on these roads !

Hi :)

I personally know no less than three foreigners who drive Fortuners. I have driven one myself as well, i borrowed one of theirs. So i have nothing against the Fortuner per se. However somehow Fortuner drivers seem to assume that the road on which they are traveling was built for them alone and everyone else has to use the grass beside said road. Because no matter at what speed i am going (i am not exactly a snail either) they always come right up to my rear bumper, getting a tennis elbow on their light signals and think such stupid behaviour could magically activate the "helicopter mode" in my truck, lifting me out of their way (or alternatively making me slip under that truck that i am in the process of passing).

In Chiang Mai, while riding a motorbike, i had a number of close encounters, one time being literally run off the road - and each and every one involved Bangkok-registered (!) Fortuners. Also on my trip to Mae Sai, that long and snaky road, a number of times i had to throw the anchors to allow a Fortuner to complete his reckless maneuver, alternative him, me or both ending up in the woods beside the road.

Note to Fortuner-drivers: An Isuzu D-Max which has this little tag "3.0 Ddi i-TEQ" is pretty much equal in power, acceleration and top speed to a Fortuner, so if it does go slower then that is because the driver tries to stay within the law or simply wants to reach home alive. And if you need to kiss my rear bumper then be aware that i might, at any time, use my e-brake and let you smack right into me. Your insurance will pay my truck's damage and my doctor will find something really expensive that you will pay out of your own pocket, because i can always use some extra cash. Remember - he who crashes from behind is at fault regardless.

Best regards.....

Thanh

I not only move over to let them pass but I also monitor my rear view mirror for quickly approaching cars and get over when its safe before they tailgate. It makes no sense to make someone in a hurry tailgate you before you will move out of the way.

... pulll up the handbrake a little so the brake lights come on, ...
I doubt that your brake lights will come on when you pull the handbrake, I have seen no car until now (driving since 1970) which would do this.

I have many times, although you are quite correct with regard to my current vehicle(unfortunately). I just checked!

DAVE

Are you quite sure about this? Not just saving face, perhaps?