Thai Tailgaters

... pulll up the handbrake a little so the brake lights come on, ...
I doubt that your brake lights will come on when you pull the handbrake, I have seen no car until now (driving since 1970) which would do this.

I have many times, although you are quite correct with regard to my current vehicle(unfortunately). I just checked!

DAVE

Are you quite sure about this? Not just saving face, perhaps?

Saving Face?[/b]

I don't believe in all that B@llocks. I say it as it is, whether its to agree or disagree with something.

Many of my (UK)cars in the past, most definitely activated the rear lights when the hand brake is put on, but to be quite honest with the poster questioning my statement, my current ride (D Max) doesn't.

:)

Dave

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm.

I don't know about the UK however in Germany i have worked on cars of all makes, from Trabant to Ferrari (!) and NONE of them activated the brake lights when using the e-brake (hand brake). Why should they? That brake is used to park the car, or for an emergency.

However it is entirely possible to MAKE them activate the brake lights - there is a switch which activates the signal lamp in the dash to alert the driver of the closed hand brake - simply hook that switch parallel to the one in the brake pedal and you got the desired effect.

Best regards.....

Thanh

... pulll up the handbrake a little so the brake lights come on, ...
I doubt that your brake lights will come on when you pull the handbrake, I have seen no car until now (driving since 1970) which would do this.

I have many times, although you are quite correct with regard to my current vehicle(unfortunately). I just checked!

DAVE

Are you quite sure about this? Not just saving face, perhaps?

How could it come on? In most vehicles the brake light is operated by a switch attached to the brake pedal. _(I'm wodering what happens on Citroens)

........and how would you check? Did you put the haandbrake on and climb out whilst driving and look over the back of the car???

If it came on when parked, wouildnt your battery life would be impared?

Actually the more I think about tailgating in Thailand the less it seems to b a problem -

I've been in countries where the habit is FAR worse and more prevalent than here. there are many quirks associated with driving in Thailand, but it seems to me that those who complain are usually at fault themselves and are contributing to a situation that they don't realise exists.

In short if you have problem with other drivers driving, it probably down to you.

Seems the same as the USA to me. When someone creeps up on my behind or comes out of nowhere I simply move over and let them pass when it is safe. On the other hand I can't say how many times I want to run someone off the road for not moving on the super highway 60-70 even 80 KPH is to slow to be in the fast lane. As I understand the speed limit on the super highway is 120 KPH unless otherwise posted (correct me if you know different). I have a car capable of traveling at 120 KPH with ease and and I like to do so unhindered by sight seers.

"Overtaking is only allowed in the right hand lane and 'undertaking' ie. on the left is only allowed when a car in the right lane is slowing down or stopped in order to turn right."

.....and where did you get THAT idea?

Obviously you've never read the HIghway Code.

The funniest part of this entire thread now is that there are 2 groups of posters:

1) Posters arguing violently with each other about "which rule is correct"; and

2) Posters saying that there ARE no rules at all. :D

Are you referring to mine and Pattayparent's posts? :D

We are not arguing, just trying to clarify things.

Pattaya parent is 100% correct when he says that a driver should keep to the left where possible.

Motorcyclists will sometimes get fined for overtaking to the right - very strange.

It would be nice if there was an up to date version of the rules, so at least when the BiB accuse you of doing something wrong, you have a chance to know if they are right or not.

There are definitely rules, but unfortunately most pay them little attention , if they are even aware of them. :)

Then think of the logic of it (I know logic is not applied in Thailand but..).

If traffic should stay to the left (becasue they are slower vehicles) then how would you overtake them on the left? On the hard shoulder as the Thais do?

Then think of the logic of it (I know logic is not applied in Thailand but..).

If traffic should stay to the left (becasue they are slower vehicles) then how would you overtake them on the left? On the hard shoulder as the Thais do?

Actually this is one instance where a bit of logic does apply.

The slower traffic SHOULD move to the left, but unfortunately it often doesn't.

In the UK, on a 3 lane carriageway, you will often note that the nearside lane is empty as people hog the middle and outside lanes. Because you are not allowed to overtake on the left, this effectively turns a 3 lane carriageway into one with only 2 usable lanes.

When I lived in the Uk, I was quite close to a ferry port and you often saw foreign drivers in their left hand drive cars, driving nervously at 30 MPH in the outside lane, oblivious to all the honking and flashing lights. Now according to the law, as it is impossible to overtake this car on the right, everybody has to stay behind it and this will of course eventually lead to a traffic jam. Now that is really stupid

On the other hand...........

Thai law, it seems may have logically made allowances for the fact that a lot of drivers will NOT keep to the left and so it is perfectly legal to overtake to the left when there are at least 3 lanes. The person who refuses to budge from the outside lane is the one who is breaking the law, not the driver that is forced to overtake on the left.

You keep repeating that overtaking on the left is illegal, in the UK this is true. In Thailand, apparently not.

I have already included a diagram and quote taken from the Department of Land and Transport's website and I have found nothing to suggest that this law has been superseded.

Can you please let us know how you can categorically state that it is illegal to overtake either side on a carriageway with 3 lanes. What is your source? The UK Highway Code does not apply in Thailand.

"Because you are not allowed to overtake on the left, this effectively turns a 3 lane carriageway into one with only 2 usable lanes." - Yes - this happens and it is infuriating - BUT in UK there is no law that is specifically against undertaking.Try it!

Hi.

THAT is even worse in Germany.... you know, Autobahn, no speed limit blah blah. Overtaking there (left hand steering!) is ONLY on the left lane, and if the Autobahn has two or more lanes one is to use the right-most one at all times, middle only to overtake slow traffic (trucks usually) in the right lane and left-most (on three-lane Autobahn) only (!!) if there is slower traffic both far right and middle. No problem at "no speed limit", if there are trucks going 80 (speed limit for those) far right and and cars going 120-150 in the middle you can fly by at 250 if you can on the left.

BUT if someone hogs that left-most lane at 100 km/h and all other lanes are free, you are under no circumstances allowed to pass that car! And if you tailgate you are getting rid of our driver's license rather quickly, too.

It was always my opinion to introduce the American system of "keep your lane" regardless - overtake where ever you feel like it, as long as you don't endanger someone what's the <deleted>' problem..? But Germany not only has some of the fastest roads in the world, it also has some of the most stupid and, at the same time, most rigorously enforced traffic laws in the world.

Best regards.....

Thanh

I think that most Thai drivers focus about 10 feet in front of their car and don't look ahead . I have noticed on numerous occasions when turning right , indicating well in advance , slowing down etc - that the driver behind me still gets very close before realising that he/she can pass on the left hand side . Once a concrete lorry coming way too fast only just missed me - i had nowhere to go as there was oncoming traffic - My daughter was in the back and looking at the lorry fast approaching was quite frightening .

When I see a car indicating right I will position my car well in advance so as to pass on the left - more than often if there is another car between me and the car turning right , he will not notice and then have to indicate to pass on the left at the last momment meaning all the traffic has to break and slow down .

They are also unaware of the width of their cars - Many times with roadworks and plenty of room for 2 cars to pass they will just sit there and wait for the other car to pass , even though there is a clear road in front of them before moving ahead .

One just has to be patient and very aware .

I think that most Thai drivers focus about 10 feet in front of their car and don't look ahead . I have noticed on numerous occasions when turning right , indicating well in advance , slowing down etc - that the driver behind me still gets very close before realising that he/she can pass on the left hand side ....

I look 2 or 3 cars ahead and often see a car indicating right, so I move to the left ready to pass. But the 1 or 2 cars in front of me - and behind the car that is indicating - stay out in the right lane and then break sharply when they notice the car turning right. Then they indicate left and try to move over. Stupid people!

If I can do it safely, I'll pass them and the guy indicating right. Serves 'em right for not paying attention.

Only over taking is by far the safest rules to have & as mentioned it's a major part of allowing 'safe' no limit driving of 200kph++ in places like Germany & other 'super highways' in Europe.

USA may have undertaking, but who cares when speed limits are so ridiculous low that 'expressways' would be misguiding!

So if LOS rules allow undertaking on 3 or more lane roads/motorways then that's quite useful as clearly many drivers do not yield left as intended for efficient traffic flow :)

I disagree with the width thing... I haven't seen more cars passing each other with the narrowest of margins here than anywhere else I've driven. And both parties seem to always be following the unwritten rule that they don't think it's a big deal (often without even looking at the other car).

:)

The inside lane of the road between Phuket and Bangkok used to be in such a state that nearly all vehicles stayed in the outside lane. So to overtake, you'd have to pass on the left - but you'd take your life in your hands with all the bumps and pot-holes.

• 4 weeks later...
If its one thing thats needs a topic its the drivers who drive in the fast lane at 60 to 90 kmh slowing all the traffic down just cos he just did a u turn and forgot to move out of the way of faster moving vehicles.

You problay didnt see the honda flash you to get you to move out of the way.

This is thailand drive with the flow, dont act like a farang with a rulebook on his shoulder.

The last thing you should do is touch your brakes!

If you did that to me i would see it as a confrontational action, its stupid and dangerous at best, it could result in a nasty accident, all for what?

Dont forget your going slower, the car behind is showing you he is there and wants to get past thats all, show some maturity and class and get out of the way, no need to go looking for trouble , you will find it if you drive like that.

reading your post, and it makes sense, but sometimes I am tailgated when we are in heavy traffic and I am keeping up with traffic. there is no need to tailgate then to let someone know you are coming through because there is no room for anyone. and tailgating in heavy traffic that is moving at 110 KPH with all three or so lanes full is down right stupid and they will see my brake lights. i very rarly get tailgated though as I look in my mirrors alot and see them coming, and move out the way, or stay ahead of them. but if someone is driving up my butt and there is nowhere anyone can go then that makes my blood boil.

Onnut,

Don't mean to be rude to you, but you are in Thailand now! Traffic density is probably a lot higher than what you are used to. What you think is tail-gaiting is simply another person's view of not taking anymore room than they need to. Bear with me and think about how bad the traffic jams would be if everybody took more room than what is absolutely needed? If one assumes a car length of 3m with 2m separation, 200 cars can fit into a 1 km lane. Increase that separation to 5m and only 125 cars can fit into the same lane.

By increasing the separation, between cars, from 2m to 5m, a 5 km traffic jam becomes 8 km traffic jam. Its all about using the available space as efficiently as possible.

I have driven a lot in big cities and in rural areas. When traffic densities increase people automatically decrease the space they use and decrease their expectation on what they believe to be the appropriate space for others to use. They don't calculate the differences, they just know its the right thing to do. Talking to friends and acquaintances, I find that most conflicts about tail-gating result from different expectations of people used to city driving versus rural driving.

I would suggest that the absolutely last thing you want to do is get into a fight (to the death) over the appropriate length of traffic separation between vehicles. IMHO rule #1 of driving in Thailand, and many other countries in the world, is to cooperate, not compete, with other drivers. When in Rome.....

If all else fails and you know that you are not obstructing traffic due to you driving slower than the prevailing traffic speed in your lane - then just don't look in the rearview mirror :)

you're a thai driving instucter , right ?

I would either move over or pulll up the handbrake a little so the brake lights come on, at the same time as accelerating away. Been doing that for years in all sorts of countries

Dave

Hmmm, I think my handbrake would not make the brake lights come on..... :)

I don't buy all the compaining about tailgating.

First of all it happens for a reason, and the reason is most often you yourself. Usually tailgating is just a reminder that you are a slow driver who fell asleep behind the wheel, or sometimes it's a message that you have slow reflexes and leave too much space in front of you. Either way, some people accept this reality and move over. Some people spot fast approaching cars from far away and leave the lane clear for them to pass. But then there are people who feel offended, probably because they realise that the reason is perfectly valid. Then they try to prove that they are unrecognised Shumachers and start speeding all over the place. Another way they try to validate their perception of their driving skills is by quoting rule books or seeking consollatioin on discussion boards. Some even devise various ways to create unpredictable and dangerous situations on the road!

Completely self-absorbed, narcissistic individuals.

Tailgaters will eventually overtake you one way or another, in the meantime you will think that you are making the roads safer by forcing them to weave through two-three lanes of traffic on the left, and you will feel like you are in total control of how fast other people should be driving.

One poster earlier made a very important point - driving is about cooperating, not competing.

Outside of Bangkok, it's helpful to remember most drivers were only driving water buffaloes 10-15 years ago. They now carry with them the same rules of the road as back in those days in the field. (Example: size matters).

Having grown up and learned to drive in rural Texas (mostly rural anyway) I found that slowing down and letting them pass is the best. Just hope they don't crash head on into an oncoming vehicle as they pass you!. I can't count the number of times I had been driving 80 mph on a lonely stretch of road (in Texas) and a pickup truck suddenly appeared tailgating me. Seems that no matter how fast you drive, there is someone that can stand to see a vehicle ahead of them and therefore drive even faster so they can pass you up. The ones that hack me the most are those that then turn off the road withing a 1/4 mile or so of passing. This happens in Thailand a lot it seems.

Anyway, relax and let them pass, you can't change them and they might do something drastic if you try.

Some people enjoy a relaxed, steady drive that also saves gas.

Some enjoy driving fast and care less about fuel expenses or whether they save any time.

Cooperation is about letting everyone enjoy whatever they want.

Psychologically everyone driving faster than you is a suicidal maniac and everyone driving slower is a retarded moron but you should grow out of this ego-centric view of society.

Most of the time they want you to give way. I just hit my lights and move to the next lane, if you don't want to switch lanes, then drive faster. If you drive faster and they are still tail gating, that means you need to let the car pass. No need to play the cat and mouse game and try to piss each other off. I think stepping on the brakes to piss them off is a foolish thing to do. Pissing them off will make them drive even more aggressive, and they will cut right infront of you at a close distance if they get a chance to overtake. If they want to overtake, they will overtake at all cost, they don't care about the safety of driver around them. This makes you another fool driving on the road, putting yourself at more risk then its necessary because you don't like the way people drive here. So adapt to the way people drive here, it will make you a safer and happier driver!

Edited by sykdevil