Farang Somtam Seller

Setanta159

Have noticed a farang driving around on a motorbike with somtam/bbq sidecar attached. He does the driving whilst some Thai lady does the cooking. I think he might be English. Looks bizarre to say the least. I certainly don't believe immigration is giving out business visas for such an activity :o . I've never seen them sell anything and think the locals are somewhat put off by the sight of this pasty farang driving about with a few bottles of Chang in his front basket. Just curious as to whether anyone else has seen this guy. He's been doing this for at least 8 months now. It's one of the stranger sights I have seen here to date.

Yes years back the Soi7/8 kebab lady had a guy of 'Middle Eastern' appearance helping her with the kebabs.. he had an apron and a big knife to cut the doner kebab with.. The locals must have dobbed him in cos one evening the immigration police arrived and took him away.. dunno what happened but the kebab lady is still there.. and making a fortune too..

Funny subject though.. I often joke with my girlfriend. Saying that if they relaxed the work visa situation and farangs could start a small business themselves. There would be dozens of stalls/carts with farangs selling sausages, pies, kebabs and dozens of other foreign 'delicacies' Not to mention a dearth of farang builders, plumbers and sparkies all vying for business.. No wonder the Thais keep a lid on the work market.. They'd have to buck up their standards in very short order to compete... Might be good for them in the long run.

Edited by Pdaz

there must be some limit to the laws against taking work from a Thai. Can you be charged for violating the rule if you take your BG to work on your motorbike? After all you are taking business away from the motorcycle taxi driver.

Have noticed a farang driving around on a motorbike with somtam/bbq sidecar attached. He does the driving whilst some Thai lady does the cooking. I think he might be English. Looks bizarre to say the least. I certainly don't believe immigration is giving out business visas for such an activity :o . I've never seen them sell anything and think the locals are somewhat put off by the sight of this pasty farang driving about with a few bottles of Chang in his front basket. Just curious as to whether anyone else has seen this guy. He's been doing this for at least 8 months now. It's one of the stranger sights I have seen here to date.

SO? Why is this any of your concern? Is he harming you?

Then it's really none of your <snip> business...

Edited by soundman
Removed profanity.

SO? Why is this any of your concern? Is he harming you?

Then it's really none of your <snip> business...

you must be him :0 ......so how much do you make in a day?? i`m interested setting one up too.....

last night while sitting on walking street i watched a farang selling perfume to the sign girls while his thai girlfriend assisted. the girls actually brought some so maybe he is saying it is farang perfume. cant imagine they wouldnt buy it in the market but it seems to be working and the sellers never appeared to be looking for the police or our fearless volunteers

Have noticed a farang driving around on a motorbike with somtam/bbq sidecar attached. He does the driving whilst some Thai lady does the cooking. I think he might be English. Looks bizarre to say the least. I certainly don't believe immigration is giving out business visas for such an activity :D . I've never seen them sell anything and think the locals are somewhat put off by the sight of this pasty farang driving about with a few bottles of Chang in his front basket. Just curious as to whether anyone else has seen this guy. He's been doing this for at least 8 months now. It's one of the stranger sights I have seen here to date.

He's driving a friend around, so what. Rats like you make life difficult :o

Have noticed a farang driving around on a motorbike with somtam/bbq sidecar attached. He does the driving whilst some Thai lady does the cooking. I think he might be English. Looks bizarre to say the least. I certainly don't believe immigration is giving out business visas for such an activity :D . I've never seen them sell anything and think the locals are somewhat put off by the sight of this pasty farang driving about with a few bottles of Chang in his front basket. Just curious as to whether anyone else has seen this guy. He's been doing this for at least 8 months now. It's one of the stranger sights I have seen here to date.

He's driving a friend around, so what. Rats like you make life difficult :o

maybe you didn't see the :D ?

hypersensitive much?

Yes years back the Soi7/8 kebab lady had a guy of 'Middle Eastern' appearance helping her with the kebabs.. he had an apron and a big knife to cut the doner kebab with.. The locals must have dobbed him in cos one evening the immigration police arrived and took him away.. dunno what happened but the kebab lady is still there.. and making a fortune too..

Funny subject though.. I often joke with my girlfriend. Saying that if they relaxed the work visa situation and farangs could start a small business themselves. There would be dozens of stalls/carts with farangs selling sausages, pies, kebabs and dozens of other foreign 'delicacies' Not to mention a dearth of farang builders, plumbers and sparkies all vying for business.. No wonder the Thais keep a lid on the work market.. They'd have to buck up their standards in very short order to compete... Might be good for them in the long run.

That's exactly why they don't allow farangs to do work that Thai people can do, otherwise farangs would put Thai people out of work.

The Kabob lady, has two carts, and makes in access of six million Baht a year. The people that work for her are all family.

Barry

That's exactly why they don't allow farangs to do work that Thai people can do, otherwise farangs would put Thai people out of work.

The Kabob lady, has two carts, and makes in access of six million Baht a year. The people that work for her are all family.

Barry

if he has citizenship he would be allowed to do this work

I miss those kebabs, best I ever tasted.