Which Area Of Thailand?

steadfast

Thaivisa has a lot of traffic. Using the twelve local subforums as being representative of a general cross section of the expat population of each area. Which area of Thailand, would you find to be the most, and least, agreeable area to live in?

Thaivisa has a lot of traffic. Using the twelve local subforums as being representative of a general cross section of the expat population of each area. Which area of Thailand, would you find to be the most, and least, agreeable area to live in?

Most agreeable - Isaan Forum - can't beat those upcountry farangs - so relaxed and down to earth

Least agreeable - Bangkok Forum - we can't agree on anything except when and where to drink

Most fun - Farang Pub - insane tis thy name

Least fun - Pattaya - the colour of jade is what?

Most interesting - Travel Forum - Western Food

Least interesting - General / News Clipping - too much political debate

Anything else?

Most agreeable - Isaan Forum - can't beat those upcountry farangs - so relaxed and down to earth

Least agreeable - Bangkok Forum - we can't agree on anything except when and where to drink

Most fun - Farang Pub - insane tis thy name

Least fun - Pattaya - the colour of jade is what?

Most interesting - Travel Forum - Western Food

Least interesting - General / News Clipping - too much political debate

Anything else?

I agree! :o

Yes, I too find the upcountry forums, predictably I suppose, filled with those who are more down to earth. But having had a look around at the various forums from time to time, I think you can get a fair idea of the type of expat contingent of any given area, very different from location to location. For instance, I quite like the Bangkok forum for its diversity, although I don't have to live there :o Pattaya can be er, interesting. Bit like The Sun newspaper in England. The Phuket forum's by far the dullest, filled with colonel blimp types and too many people worrying about whether Central of Villa Market will have their favourite brand of cheese.

If you'd just arrived here and the first place you looked for guidance as to location on TV, where would you find most appealing in terms of living amongst your fellow expats? (Notwithstanding work/family restrictions). And where would you avoid like the plague.

I usually "view new posts".....and read the one which catches my interest.

But to select specific forums:

Least agreeable: I found the "general Topic" the ones i hardly look at because it's often just discussions that have little interest to me

Most agreeable: I find "bikes in thailand" , "linux in thailand" represents some of my interests.

Most useful: The forum about Thai Visa is great to have too...best advises are given there .

Interesting and useful: Western food is also something interesting to me being in the business before.

Least agreeable:I think the least needed forum maybe the airport forum & birdflu forum.

Very useful: "Software downloads" are sometimes visited and appreciated.

Agreeable but too quiet:Being from "central thailand" i find this forum actually a bit too quiet ...

Interesting but not agreeable:The "Jobs, economy, banking, business, investment in Thailand forum" is a good source of info and makes sure why not to do business in thailand, i find it often too negativ...but having said that i have business outside of thailand :-) 

mbox

The ne part where I am is very comfortable as I dont see many expats here in my daily life, they are around though, but mainly stay in the expat ghetto bar areas. I dont understand yet why so many come here and want to bring all their western ways and ideas with them and complain when things are different. If you do decide to come here no.1 stay away from the bars and women for 6 months at least, nobody likes a drunk whoremonger no matter what some may say about it being prevalent here. make some thai friends, learn some customs and a few words, counting numbers def. for money/spending. walk around, ride the bus, get to know your new home,nod your head and smile all the time. After awhile the people around you will think hey maybe this guy is okay. And yes there are lots of decent hard working beautiful women here to date and learn about thailand with that are not looking for you to support them or their families.

@thunder - I've lived here for over twelve years, fluent in Thai and have a Thai family. This was simply a postulation, an experiment using one's imagination, if you will.

The idea came to me after having occasionally perused the various local forums, and assuming each local forum is representative of the expats posting in each particular local forum, again, there are twelve local area forums on tv, which area you most/least like to locate to.

I appreciate that most people on this forum probably don't bother to look at forums outside their own area, but for those who do, which one would you think you might find the most agreeable, in terms of having to rub elbows in the local talad nat with, have as neighbours etc (I'm talking about farang, not Thais, Thais are everywhere, it's their country :o )

Edited by steadfast

@thunder - I've lived here for over twelve years, fluent in Thai and have a Thai family. This was simply a postulation, an experiment using one's imagination, if you will.

The idea came to me after having occasionally perused the various local forums, and assuming each local forum is representative of the expats posting in each particular local forum, again, there are twelve local area forums on tv, which area you most/least like to locate to.

I appreciate that most people on this forum probably don't bother to look at forums outside their own area, but for those who do, which one would you think you might find the most agreeable, in terms of having to rub elbows in the local talad nat with, have as neighbours etc (I'm talking about farang, not Thais, Thais are everywhere, it's their country :o )

well steady, I would like to relocate to Phuket - but certainly not because of the TV members. Hope that doesn't screw up your findings.

Well from a post like the above you would think you are asking for advice on where to live yourself, no offense but if you have been here 12 years and dont have any clue about other areas ? Please be more specific next time when doing an experiment because im not that good at guessing the content of a post. Im in thailand really ?