More foreigners 'under the radar'

if one were to move to malaysia under this program, one could always come to thailand for up to 3 month stays for additional sanook on a T visa.  man, what would that be like, coming to thailand as a real tourist...just think of that.  wouldn't that feel strange.

and you wouldn't have to be nicy-nicy to all the immigration officials.  if one gave you an attitude...you could just give them an attitute right back...in their face.  who cares, you now live in a country that really wants you...not in one where your are merely tolerated.

i am venting a little and i don't know why.  i have actually had pretty good experiences recently with the immigration folks.  just don't like the uncertainty of it all here.  in malay, once you qualify, you are set for at least 5 years provided you keep you nose clean.

as of now, i don't think i would leave thailand.  as long as they are okay with the multiple tourist visas then for now, i don't mind taking a vacation every 2-3 months.  if they say no more than x number of sequential tourist visas (like ken says no more than 2 30-day extensions from mai sai) and they don't revise the retirement extensions in some way allowing others of means to reside legally, it's nice to know that right next door, malaysia is waiting with open arms.

There is a new regulation being introduced into Hong Kong to attract people with money. If you invest HK$6.5 million (approx 33 million baht) into HK real estate, shares and/or nominated funds you would qualify for an extension of stay. If you stay for 7 years and your investments stay intact you would qualify to apply for "permanent residency".

Perhaps a similar regulation would work for Thailand? The figures may have to change tho'.

most se asian countries have programs to attrach either business investors or "retired" dot commers or anyone else with money regardless of age.  basically you can buy residency (if not actual citizenship) if you meet certain financial requirements and basically put the money in a local bank or invest it in local bonds, stocks, or business if you want. seems simple enough to me the asian wall street journal had the story about a year or so ago with the prices.  if i recall, like you report, the price in HKG was about a $M1 and sing was about a mil too.

i guess in malaysia it's only $40K for 50+ and maybe $300-400k if under.