Europe's Best Stoppers

bkkjames

Europe's top ten goalkeepers

Times Online

Gabriele Marcotti, in his latest column, argues that the established truism that excellent goalkeeping is essential in knockout competitions has been somewhat undermined this season by some notably ordinary performances from the likes of Petr Cech and Pepe Reina. However, he offers Barcelona's Victor Valdés as his prime example. "It is safe to say that few would place him among a hypothetical global top ten of goalkeepers," he writes.

He's right, we haven't included him in our list of the best stoppers in Europe:

1. Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)

2. Iker Casillas (Real Madrid)

3. Julio Cesar (Inter)

4. Hugo Lloris (Lyons)

5. Petr Cech (Chelsea)

6. Igor Akinfeev (CSKA Moscow)

7. Diego Alves (Almeria)

8. Pepe Reina (Liverpool)

9. Steve Mandanda (Marseilles)

10. Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United)

I would think Shay Given would be on the list. Not sure how EVS is bottom considering the number of clean sheets. I think Cesar should be #1 or #2.

I think that PC and EVdS are way to low, the REal Madrid keeper is past his best now IMHO, cant say I have heard of many of the others except Buffoon...what a name for a Golie LOL

I am a bit surprised Gomes is not on the list. :o The Guy from West Brom should get a medal of honour for all the attempts he has faced this year.

don't think cech's been right since stephen hunt booted him in the head, and van der sar is pretty much past it. his clean sheets record this season is almost entirely down to vidic and ferdinand. lloris isnt' all that and mandanda's over-rated, neither of them have really been tested as they play in a second-rate league. think buffon's been the best in the world for about ten years now.

I was watching something this week, maybe football focus and they were discussing Cech accident and the whole rugby skull cap wearing. They made a point saying is it still needed or is it just a comfort thing and has he now become a little scared. His form has not been the same since the accident, but wearing a skull cap if its not needed just for comfort will not make him the best goalkeeper in the world again.

don't think cech's been right since stephen hunt booted him in the head, and van der sar is pretty much past it. his clean sheets record this season is almost entirely down to vidic and ferdinand. lloris isnt' all that and mandanda's over-rated, neither of them have really been tested as they play in a second-rate league. think buffon's been the best in the world for about ten years now.

down to vidic and ferdinand - true but considering during the 3 month streak - VDS played with 8-9 different defense combinations in front of him.

I think that PC and EVdS are way to low, the REal Madrid keeper is past his best now IMHO, cant say I have heard of many of the others except Buffoon...what a name for a Golie LOL

????????????? :o

He's 28 ???????????

I think what the list shows is the lack of real quality keepers around. Other than the top 2, IMO the rest aren't exactly pulling up trees. EVS is in his twighlight, Chech has looked pretty ordinary this season, and Reina is the most over rated keeper in the premiership. Buffon has been doing the Biz for a number of years now, and I think it's fair to say he is a far better all round keeper than Casillias, who is an excellent shot stopper, but is not a penalty box dominator. Isn't it sad that there isn't one English keeper in that list? Go back 25 years ago and there would have been at least two in there.

I think what the list shows is the lack of real quality keepers around. Other than the top 2, IMO the rest aren't exactly pulling up trees. EVS is in his twighlight, Chech has looked pretty ordinary this season, and Reina is the most over rated keeper in the premiership. Buffon has been doing the Biz for a number of years now, and I think it's fair to say he is a far better all round keeper than Casillias, who is an excellent shot stopper, but is not a penalty box dominator. Isn't it sad that there isn't one English keeper in that list? Go back 25 years ago and there would have been at least two in there.

reina's fuc_king superb and i wouldn't swap him for anyone. under-rated if anything rather than over-rated.

I would think Shay Given would be on the list. Not sure how EVS is bottom considering the number of clean sheets. I think Cesar should be #1 or #2.

Oh my Buddha. Me and James agree on something :D

:o Well, Given IMO is the best keeper in the Premiership.

reina's fuc_king superb and i wouldn't swap him for anyone. under-rated if anything rather than over-rated.

Are you sure, if you had these for a weekend?

Girly_Berry.bmp

:o

We've agreed on many things in the past Toady. And today is no exception :D

Girly_Berry.bmp

heh. neville southall was on the radio last week saying that he thinks reina is the most under-rated 'keeper in the world. and the binman knew a thing or two about keeping goal.

One might say that was a Given?! :D

Seriously though, if we are considering recent form, ie this season, i don't actually think there have been any performances that really stand out in the Premiership. Some good goalies yes, but none i would call greats or giants of the game right now. Of course Cech once was a great but just a shadow of himself these days.

Good Shot Stopper but in the modern day Game you need to have more than that to be a top keeper, his Kicking is atrocious & so is his commaning of the Box...

Tenner says BJ wouldn't have agreed with Jimbo if Given wasn't a City Player ?? :o

heh. neville southall was on the radio last week saying that he thinks reina is the most under-rated 'keeper in the world. and the binman knew a thing or two about keeping goal.

He was a top, top keeper, and he even played for Torquay United. :o

Girly_Berry.bmp

You and I have the same taste toady - my mrs was given me hel_l for making some funny noises when they popped up on the TV the other day.

reina is good, not superb - last games against Chelsea and Arsenal demonstrated that.

Good Shot Stopper but in the modern day Game you need to have more than that to be a top keeper, his Kicking is atrocious & so is his commaning of the Box...

Tenner says BJ wouldn't have agreed with Jimbo if Given wasn't a City Player ?? :o

Nah Singhy. I always rated Given and was chuffed to bits when we signed him. :D

I thought Given was better at Newcastle - if there is one team where a goalie can shine - it's there. Look at Harper now - spends more time in the tanning booth than on the practice field.

reina is good, not superb - last games against Chelsea and Arsenal demonstrated that.

two games where the defence went AWOL james. still, nothing like short-termism to try and make a point is there?

i'll give you golden gloves winner in each of the last three seasons. reina is top, top class.

I wish to join the Shay Given apprectiation society.

I always thought he was the best in the world and now seeing Harper in goal who isnt a bad keeper you notice how in comparison his positional play was outstanding aswell. Plus he's as good a professional as there is.

7 million for him is the best buy ManCity will ever make with this new money.

two games where the defence went AWOL james. still, nothing like short-termism to try and make a point is there?

i'll give you golden gloves winner in each of the last three seasons. reina is top, top class.

nice thing about golden gloves is that they can get a bit heavy when the money games are on the line :o

Hey Mr BJ - have a favour to ask.

Any chance your Mrs (is in the UK correct?) can run out to Old Trafford before coming and picking up some red devil newborn wear. The lil one is due mid may and I want to be sure he is properly attired for the final of the Champs League. :D

Any chance your Mrs (is in the UK correct?) can run out to Old Trafford before coming and picking up some red devil newborn wear. The lil one is due mid may and I want to be sure he is properly attired for the final of the Champs League. :o

Poor kid!icon4.gif

Any chance your Mrs (is in the UK correct?) can run out to Old Trafford before coming and picking up some red devil newborn wear. The lil one is due mid may and I want to be sure he is properly attired for the final of the Champs League. :o

Poor kid!icon4.gif

Would be classed as Child Abuse where i come from... :D

Any chance your Mrs (is in the UK correct?) can run out to Old Trafford before coming and picking up some red devil newborn wear. The lil one is due mid may and I want to be sure he is properly attired for the final of the Champs League. :D

Poor kid!icon4.gif

Would be classed as Child Abuse where i come from... :D

Perhaps Singer, but unlike where you come from, my lil one will at least have some :o