How Far Do Thai's Travel On A Small Bike

During the trip from Bangkok to our rural country house, I was looking around to all the little bikes that where traveling up-country. I was especially impressed by two teenagers who started out the trip from Din Deang on a little yellow Yamaha Fino.

I started talking with them after we meet at several stops on the way up-country, after talking to them I saw more and more little bikes which originated from Bangkok. Even near my destination, almost 500 kilometers from Bangkok I saw somebody with backpack riding a Honda Click....

So what is the record where did we see Bangkok "little" motorcycles during the Songkran holiday? My record is 500 kilometers from Bangkok...

So what is the record where did we see Bangkok "little" motorcycles during the Songkran holiday? My record is 500 kilometers from Bangkok...

After having riden the equivalent of a FIno in Australia for 350km in a day I would say the rider would have to have a backside made of leather.l

There was an article in the BP the other week:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/leisure/leisure...venture-and-art

Which lead me to: http://dhammapark.com/insonwongsambio.aspx -

Inson became an Icon for succeeding generations when, after graduating from Silpakorn University of Fine Arts in 1961, he traveled alone from Thailand to Italy on a Lambretta Scooter. His goal was to reach the city of Florence, the birthplace of his revered teacher, Professor Corado Ferocci, the Father of Modern Thai Art & founder of Silpakorn University.

I used to ride a Sonic from Chumphon to Ranong and back for visa runs back when I used to do them. Then one time I turned south and went all the way to Phuket, hung around for a week, then went back via the Surat route. All together it was just over 1000 km. I loved it and as long as you have the time to take breaks, your ass doesn't take much of a pounding either. (Pun intended :o ).

The best part of it for me is getting away from the tourist areas (I live in Koh Tao) and receiving all that "Farang" attention that lately is so absent in the tourist spots. People come running out to the road just to wave at you!! If I had the time it's the only way I'd travel around the Kingdom.

It is unusual to see thais riding small bikes even just from fang to Chiangmai...150km....they usually put them on top of a songtheaw.

I used to ride a Honda Steed from Chiangmai to pattaya quite often....but i made my own seat...with an inner tube inside. Everyone used to squeeze it and admire it....but nobody copied the idea.