What Do You Think Is The Best Way?

This is my situation. I got here a month ago with the intention to work. I lived here for 3 years before but went to work in other countries. I used my last passport page entering the country. I went to the Embassy to bye another. I was a bit slow and it took a few days to get it done. Then Songkran started and everything shut. My visa ran out during this time and with no passort I couldn't go anywhere anyway.

Had a few positve interveiws, got offered a job to start 1st of May

Had few other good offers :o

Now I have GOT to get a visa asap. Long enough to get through the process of my employer getting me a work permit.

I was told I can get a 3 month Visa from Cambodia at the border "Arun-ya-pra-ted".

I have NO return ticket, I didnt know it was such a big deal as it never used to be, I dont know why my text has changed colour either!

If I get on a bus From Ekkamai tomorrow morning and got to Arun-ya-pra-ted, will I get a 3 month visa????????

Confused!!

Please enlighten where you read that you can get a visa at the border.Without a return ticket you will even not be allowed back into Thailand.

Load of crap.. I got back into Thailand from Laos with absolutely no problems on a 15 day stamp, then flew into Thailand from Malaysia without return ticket.

Stop giving lousy advice.

Please enlighten where you read that you can get a visa at the border.Without a return ticket you will even not be allowed back into Thailand.

Load of crap.. I got back into Thailand from Laos with absolutely no problems on a 15 day stamp, then flew into Thailand from Malaysia without return ticket.

Requirement to show onwards travel

Monday, 14 May 2007

Requirement to show onwards travel.

In the last month there has been reports that certain immigration checkpoints have made it a requirement that anyone wishing to enter Thailand under the visa exemption must show travel documents proving onward travel from Thailand within 30 days.

Immigration at these checkpoints have placed signs, and notes in passports advising -

THE ALIENS ENTERING KINGDOM WITH NO VISA MUST PRESENT TICKET OR TRAVEL DOCUMENTS THAT HAVE BEEN PAID ALREADY OR CONFIRMED TO EXIT THE KINGDOM AND MUST NOT EXCEED 30 DAYS UPON THE DATE OF ENTRANCE TO THE KINGDOM

ImageSo far this only seems to be a requirement at checkpoints on the Cambodian border, with travellers reporting no such signs or notes at other popular checkpoints such as Mae Sai and Ranong.

However, there are signs that this could become policy throughout all checkpoints. The Thai embassy in the UK has the following conditions with regards to tourist visa exemptions listed on it's website -

* Their purpose of visit is only for tourism

* They have the nationality of the countries issuing their passports or travel documents in lieu of passports which must be authentic and valid (this excludes all certificates of identity)

* They arrive in and depart Thailand by any means of transport (air, land or sea) through immigration checkpoints, any confirmed tickets to leave Thailand within 30 days from the arrival date at the port of entry in Thailand must be obtained.

* Confirmed tickets to leave Thailand within 30 days from the arrival date at the port of entry in Thailand must be obtained.

In addition to that the Delta Airlines website has recently been updated, and states clearly that " Return/onward ticket is required" when entering Thailand for touristic purposes (using the visa exemption ).

Recently a well known tour company that provides a "visa run" tour has announced on their website that their customers will have to show an air ticket outbound from Thailand when attending their visa run to Ban Laem (Thai/Cambodian border).

This regulation, which only seems to be enforced at Thai/Cambodian checkpoints , only affects those entering Thailand using the Visa Exemption , and not to those who already have tourist visas or Non Immigrant visas .

Our best advice for anyone wishing to stay in Thailand for longer than 30 days is to get the appropriate visa before travelling.

Taken from the Thaivisa forum.

Edited by basjke

Requirement to show onwards travel

Monday, 14 May 2007

Requirement to show onwards travel.

In the last month there has been reports that certain immigration checkpoints have made it a requirement that anyone wishing to enter Thailand under the visa exemption must show travel documents proving onward travel from Thailand within 30 days.

Immigration at these checkpoints have placed signs, and notes in passports advising -

THE ALIENS ENTERING KINGDOM WITH NO VISA MUST PRESENT TICKET OR TRAVEL DOCUMENTS THAT HAVE BEEN PAID ALREADY OR CONFIRMED TO EXIT THE KINGDOM AND MUST NOT EXCEED 30 DAYS UPON THE DATE OF ENTRANCE TO THE KINGDOM

ImageSo far this only seems to be a requirement at checkpoints on the Cambodian border, with travellers reporting no such signs or notes at other popular checkpoints such as Mae Sai and Ranong.

However, there are signs that this could become policy throughout all checkpoints. The Thai embassy in the UK has the following conditions with regards to tourist visa exemptions listed on it's website -

* Their purpose of visit is only for tourism

* They have the nationality of the countries issuing their passports or travel documents in lieu of passports which must be authentic and valid (this excludes all certificates of identity)

* They arrive in and depart Thailand by any means of transport (air, land or sea) through immigration checkpoints, any confirmed tickets to leave Thailand within 30 days from the arrival date at the port of entry in Thailand must be obtained.

* Confirmed tickets to leave Thailand within 30 days from the arrival date at the port of entry in Thailand must be obtained.

In addition to that the Delta Airlines website has recently been updated, and states clearly that " Return/onward ticket is required" when entering Thailand for touristic purposes (using the visa exemption ).

Recently a well known tour company that provides a "visa run" tour has announced on their website that their customers will have to show an air ticket outbound from Thailand when attending their visa run to Ban Laem (Thai/Cambodian border).

This regulation, which only seems to be enforced at Thai/Cambodian checkpoints , only affects those entering Thailand using the Visa Exemption , and not to those who already have tourist visas or Non Immigrant visas .

Our best advice for anyone wishing to stay in Thailand for longer than 30 days is to get the appropriate visa before travelling.

Taken from the Thaivisa forum.

Why are you quoting something from 2007?

I have never been asked to present such a document and as I can understand there are plenty who have done the run recently who hasnt either!

I have never been asked to present such a document and as I can understand there are plenty who have done the run recently who hasnt either!

I am quoting something from 2007 because that was when the law came effective and it stays effective until there is a new order.They don't have to re announce it every week I guess.

If you can show me a quote that states that the law is changed I will happily take back my words.I can confirm that I did a bordertrip to Cambodia last year and was asked for my ongoing ticket before they allowed me back into thailand.And if you use a visa company to do the trip and have no visa they will charge you extra for the ticket confirmation.

I am quoting something from 2007 because that was when the law came effective and it stays effective until there is a new order.They don't have to re announce it every week I guess.

If you can show me a quote that states that the law is changed I will happily take back my words.I can confirm that I did a bordertrip to Cambodia last year and was asked for my ongoing ticket before they allowed me back into thailand.And if you use a visa company to do the trip and have no visa they will charge you extra for the ticket confirmation.

There was a tread in here not long ago where a guy called Bishop stated they didnt ask for tickets. Anyway if they do, you can get the fake Cambodjan bus ticket.

I am going tomorrow so I can keep people updated. Maybe I will post next time stranded in Poi Pet. We will see.

...Now I have GOT to get a visa asap. Long enough to get through the process of my employer getting me a work permit...

There are two vital time factors here:

1. What is the expiration of your current permission to stay, ie the “until” date on your arrival stamp?
  2. How long does it take your employer to submit your application for the work permit?

If the employer can make the work permit application before the expiration of your permission to stay and give you the receipt for the application and the company documents required for a non-B visa, you can go to a nearby Thai consulate and get the non-B visa. After your return to Thailand, you can then pick up the work permit when it is ready.

Otherwise, depending on how long your employer needs for the paperwork, you can either do a border run and get a 15-day visa-exempt entry or go to a Thai consulate and get a tourist visa.

No need for a return ticket for any of these trips.

--

Maestro

...Now I have GOT to get a visa asap. Long enough to get through the process of my employer getting me a work permit...

There are two vital time factors here:

1. What is the expiration of your current permission to stay, ie the “until” date on your arrival stamp?
  2. How long does it take your employer to submit your application for the work permit?

If the employer can make the work permit application before the expiration of your permission to stay and give you the receipt for the application and the company documents required for a non-B visa, you can go to a nearby Thai consulate and get the non-B visa. After your return to Thailand, you can then pick up the work permit when it is ready.

Otherwise, depending on how long your employer needs for the paperwork, you can either do a border run and get a 15-day visa-exempt entry or go to a Thai consulate and get a tourist visa.

No need for a return ticket for any of these trips.

--

Maestro

Maestro,I don't put your post in doubt but can you please inform when the ticket requirement was canceled.

...If you can show me a quote that states that the law is changed...

There is no such law. At one time in the past some immigration checkpoints at land borders started asking for return tickets but according to latest reports posted by members they no longer do so.

For travel by air, it is the airlines that sometimes will refuse to give a passenger a boarding pass if he has no visa and no onward flight ticket within 30 days from arrival in Thailand.

Some Thai consulates ask to see a travel itinerary or a return or onward flight ticket before issuing a visa. Latest report was that the consulate in Singapore asked for it with an application for a tourist visa, which is free for a short period. When it was not free, the consulate did not ask for it.

--

Maestro

There seems to be some confusion between visa exemption and a visa as applicable to the OP.

As I understand it he has got to leave the country and get a visa to ultimately support his work permit. If he gets a visa there is no requirement for an onward or return ticket at all. This requirement is in place for those seeking a visa exempt entry into Thailand and the application of it has been patchy and mainly at land crossings. In any case he cannot enter on a visa exempt stamp and take up employment and you cannot convert an exemption into a visa in country (AFAIK).

He can apply for a work permit after entering visa-exempt or with a tourist visa. To pick up the work permit, he must have a non-immigrant visa, in his case a non-B visa.

--

Maestro

My visa ran out during this time and with no passort I couldn't go anywhere anyway.

I was told I can get a 3 month Visa from Cambodia at the border "Arun-ya-pra-ted".

If I get on a bus From Ekkamai tomorrow morning and got to Arun-ya-pra-ted, will I get a 3 month visa????????

Confused!!

What do you mean when you say your visa ran out? Do you mean the visa or your permit to stay? If it is your permit to stay you are now on an overstay and will have to pay a fine of 500 baht per day when you leave.

If it is only your visa that ran out. What is your permit to stay date? If you have time your new employer can start the work permit process and get a WP3 (work permit application receipt). Then with all the other company documents required you can go to a nearby embassy/consulate and get a single entry non-b visa.

You will not get a 3 month visa at the border. You will only get 15 days.

If your permit to stay has run out I suggest you make a trip to a nearby embassy/conuslate and get a single entry Tourist visa (free). You might even think about making the trip out of the country today and apply for the visa first thing Monday.

Then when your new employer has the WP3 go out and get a non-b visa.

We do not have the information to give any valid advise to OP.

1. He has not stated nationality so we do not know if even eligible for visa exempt entry.

2. He says visa ran out but does not say if this was his permitted to stay time or not. If it was and he is on overstay he may end up in jail on a border run. Unlikely; but a possibility.

3. Where he got the information on a three month visa at border? No visa is available at borders other than visa on arrival (which would not be available to a visa exempt national).

4. Cash/tickets are not being checked at any border crossings currently - but if you appear destitute it could be. It is, and has been, the law for many, many years.

5. It is well past Songkran so if you are on overstay do not expect that to cut much water.

6. Without a work permit application receipt a non immigrant B visa is unlikely to be issued anywhere in the area.

7. We don't know there work or if it may allow immediate extension of stay. So not sure if he would be able to convert a tourist/visa exempt entry.

8. A new passport requires transfer of permitted to stay stamps. I suspect that has not been done?

Edited by lopburi3