Is It Illegal To Drive Without Thai License?

Green19

I've been here in Thailand a month now. I have a British driving license but no international permit. Is this legal or not? Some countries allow you to drive for 3 months on a foreign license before getting a local one. I will apply for a Thai license just as soon as my work permit is sent to me. Just concerned about the regular checks I see the BiB doing in my area.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>I've been here in Thailand a month now. I have a British driving license but no international permit. Is this legal or not?

It is illegal.

To drive in Thailand you must have a Thai licence for the class of vehicle you are driving or an International Driving Permit which is supported by a valid licence from another country, the IDP is generally valid for one year from date of issue - at point of issue the IDP may be forward dated for up to six months.

An IDP in Thailand is vaild for three months. If you remain in Thailand longer than three months you should/must get a Thai driving licence - not a hard task.

You will probably be able to pass most police check points with an IDP for longer than the technical three month limit, however knowing what the law states means when you are fined by a policemen that wants to make a point you understand what's happening.

I have seen police check points accept a national licence from a foriegn country without the IDP that should be carried and presented - the 'fine' for failure to have an IDP will be 200/400 Baht, typically.

>Some countries allow you to drive for 3 months on a foreign license before getting a local one.

Really? Which ones?

> I will apply for a Thai license just as soon as my work permit is sent to me.

Only need: IDP, proof of address, one year visa stamp. The WP4 makes life easier as with that the LTO know the rest of the paperwork is correct.

When you apply for Thai licence take two copies of everything with you and sign each copy.

> Just concerned about the regular checks I see the BiB doing in my area.

If you get caught once and 'fined' expect your card to be marked and you will be stopped each time as they know you are good for X baht 'tax' each time you go out.

I've been here in Thailand a month now. I have a British driving license but no international permit. Is this legal or not? Some countries allow you to drive for 3 months on a foreign license before getting a local one. I will apply for a Thai license just as soon as my work permit is sent to me. Just concerned about the regular checks I see the BiB doing in my area.

Thanks in advance.

It's illegal until you pay a 200 baht fine if pulled over and asked for it :D

As my Germanic touring brother learned to his cost! :o

Cuban is technically correct, but the reality is somewhat different.

I drove here for a year on just a UK license. Got stopped 3 times for various 'offences' for which I would have had to pay the mandatory tea money anyway. No mention was ever made of my UK license, nor was the tea money increased because of it (200 baht each time).

My biggest concern was what would happen if I had an accident insurance wise, so I eventually got around to getting a license - which Cuban said is easy enough, just allow the best part of a day to do.

As for them 'marking your card', I don't believe they are sophisticated enough for this, they are merely opportunists. If you met the same copper at the same place he might remember you, but unlikely IMO.

> As for them 'marking your card', I don't believe they are sophisticated enough for this, they are merely opportunists.

> If you met the same copper at the same place he might remember you, but unlikely IMO.

I know of various police units that do share information between them relating to vehicles and drivers that are open to an easy 'fine'.

I agree that the common practice is different from the law - but having seen situations where non-Thai drivers were attempting to pay a 'fine' to policemen that wanted the driver to pay an offical fine and was close to being arrested for attempted bribery - it is worth knowing what the law is - and then how to handle police check points as they arise.

The issue with Thai motoring insurance is a different one and can be complex depending if the company risks a large pay out - or are seeking to direct the claim towards the non-Thai's travel insurance (if they are a tourist). "Generally" Thai motoring insurance covers a driver if they hold a valid driving licence. The detail and meaning of 'valid' might be debated during a claim.

With the open ended risk that can come from driving un-insured it's not worth the uncertainty that winging it without a Thai driving licence considering how easy it is to get one.

I have a friend that has driven his motorbike without a licence or helmet here for four years, yet still complains about 'police bandits' when he is fined.

There are few road laws enforced as it is so allow them a few. (as I recall driving down the wrong side of a highway - as it was quicker than the 'legal' route - when in Thailand....? )

Edited by Cuban

If you get caught once and 'fined' expect your card to be marked and you will be stopped each time as they know you are good for X baht 'tax' each time you go out.

I've never seen any "marking" when paying the tea money on the spot, but if you go the other route and the policeman takes your licence back to the station for collection when you go there to pay, they will staple your licence to the ticket. Subsequent policemen will notice the staple holes, and more importantly the amount of them, and know all about you!

Ms. bino's lifetime licence looks like swiss cheese!

>'With the open ended risk that can come from driving un-insured it's not worth the uncertainty that winging it without a Thai driving licence considering how easy it is to get one. '

Agreed - as I said this was the main motivation for me doing it, I wouldn't recommend anyone wait as long as I did, I delayed it as I thought it would be too much hassle which it really wasn't.

To the OP - there are several added benefits of having a Thai driver's license, such as you can use it to get Thai prices at alot of tourist attractions/ parks etc, and also use it as ID when checking into hotels and for internal flights. Also Thai law states that you should have at least a copy of your passport on you at all times (although I don't know anyone that does), but the license has your passport details on it so nullifies this requirement.

I can tell you from personal experience that certain insurance companies operating here in Thailand will not except even the International DL.

I was involved in a single vehicle accident some years back and when the insurance guy turned up the very first thing he asked for was my Thai DL, he was quite adamant that if I did not have one, then the insurance would not pay up, as it happens I did have one, so all was well.

I then checked on my insurance and sure enough there was a clause (in Thai) that states all drivers must be in possession of a valid Thai DL for the vehicle, as I did not read Thai, then I'd have been blissfully unaware of this!

So to sum up, get yourself a Thai license and do things legally, you just don't know what is around the next corner and it could get very expensive if you do not have this license.

Edited by Mattd

>'With the open ended risk that can come from driving un-insured it's not worth the uncertainty that winging it without a Thai driving licence considering how easy it is to get one. '

Agreed - as I said this was the main motivation for me doing it, I wouldn't recommend anyone wait as long as I did, I delayed it as I thought it would be too much hassle which it really wasn't.

To the OP - there are several added benefits of having a Thai driver's license, such as you can use it to get Thai prices at alot of tourist attractions/ parks etc, and also use it as ID when checking into hotels and for internal flights. Also Thai law states that you should have at least a copy of your passport on you at all times (although I don't know anyone that does), but the license has your passport details on it so nullifies this requirement.

Please enlighten me as to where my Passport details are on my Thai driving license.

It clearly shows, Thai ID Number. Issue date, Expiry date name, where it was Issued and on the reverse my address.

Please enlighten me as to where my Passport details are on my Thai driving license.

It clearly shows, Thai ID Number. Issue date, Expiry date name, where it was Issued and on the reverse my address.

Sounds like you have the "old-fashioned" type, i.e. paper with your picture glued on it, which is then laminated by some independent entrepreneur. The newfangled plastic ones (credit card-like) do have your passport number (it says "ID no", but never mind) but no address on the reverse side.

At least the above is true about my license.

/ Priceless

Sounds like you have the "old-fashioned" type, i.e. paper with your picture glued on it, which is then laminated by some independent entrepreneur.

I've got one of these - the old-style pink paper licence, and my passport number is on the second line from the bottom, where Thai people have their ID number.

You didn't mention birthdate. Does your licence have one of those on it?

Weird that your address is on the reverse side. Every Thai licence I have ever seen has them on the front.

Are you sure that you didn't get it out of a cereal box?

Well just to blow all that has been written out of the water. My American friend went to the transport office in Nakhom Pathom and was told that all he needed was a translation of his Texas driving licence, He did not need a Thai one. Mind you they were about to close (so i think just telling him something to get him out)

Allan

Thanks in advance.

Good question, from my experience(prior to getting my Thai License) I was stop three time, routine road check/stop each time the officer looked a bit confuse but send me on my way with a suggestion to get a Thai License, the fourth time, I park my old car in a red zone, :o:D license accepted again along with my Bt200 fine and the Desk Sgt(officer of the day) merely ask me and the wife WHY I didn't have a Thai Driver License, so from this my guess is it acceptable (legal )but highly recommend you get a Thai License, which I have now and believe you me it is a heck of a lot smoother if you are stop for any reason and can show the officers your Thai Driver License. Maybe will cut a bee line to my Thai Lawyer friends with this question, just to be sure.

Edited by BigSnake

Weird that your address is on the reverse side. Every Thai licence I have ever seen has them on the front.

I have the new credit card style License, and yes the DOB is on there, and the address is on the back under the black plastic strip. I got this license in Nonthaburi on 25 December 2008, and before anyone comments "Yes I know that was Christmas Day, but Government offices were open on that day".

My Passport number does not appear anywhere, I have a Yellow book and as I am registered at this address by Nonthaburi Government offices, the number is in their databases, so this number appears on my license

Edited by beano2274

Sounds like you have the "old-fashioned" type, i.e. paper with your picture glued on it, which is then laminated by some independent entrepreneur. The newfangled plastic ones (credit card-like) do have your passport number (it says "ID no", but never mind) but no address on the reverse side.

/ Priceless

as stated I have the new plastic one, issued at the end of last year

/ Priceless

as stated I have the new plastic one, issued at the end of last year

Faire enough- and if you have the Yellow Book, it makes sense that should be the ID number used. Those of us who don't have the Yellow Book (majority by my estimation) have our passport number on our driving licences instead.

Faire enough- and if you have the Yellow Book, it makes sense that should be the ID number used. Those of us who don't have the Yellow Book (majority by my estimation) have our passport number on our driving licences instead.

The documents required for a license include permanent residence certified by Immigration or the Embassy, this is easier with a yellow book, which I thought most people would have. How do people get around this?

Taken from this site:

The following are required to make the application :

1. Passport with valid Non-immigrant Visa. (Individuals with a Tourist Visa don't qualify)

2. Present residence address certified by embassy or Immigration Bureau

3. Medical certificate stating good health

4. 2 photographs Driving License of the respective country Application in person.

Fee : 105 baht for cars and 55 baht for motorcycle. Applications for driving licenses for other forms of vehicle may not be granted.

Edited by beano2274

If you have a Work Permit you have a Tax Number, I am sure that if you have a tax number you automatically receive a Thai ID Number. Unless of course you don't pay tax.

But I believe that instead of a document from Immigration or the Embassy you can use a copy of your

WP instead to gain a license. So no need to actually prove Present Residence as in No.2 of my previous

Still got the old 5 year Pinko lic and birthday is is on 3rd line from the bottom (in Thai ...2549) which makes me about 21 ..yeah :o

Wiffee just mentioned that they.. Transport sunshine boys and girls have re -introduced a new CC type lifetime license ..she already has the old paper one but want a new yin....anyone confirm.?

In my experience anything "less" than a Thai licence is likely to result in a fine if you are stopped.

I waited ages before I bothered and I only got "fined" once, but a week after I got it (them) a m/bike side swiped me and I was into a 4 month saga. I was told by the police that without a Thai licence I would have been fined B500.

When I went to collect the car from the repairer they insisted I had to produce my Thai Car Licence. Why? - because if I don't have one my insurance is invalid!!!!

That can't be true right? I've been driving "insured" here for 2 years but only got my licence 4+ months ago so.........

Nah, can't be true eh?

Still got the old 5 year Pinko lic and birthday is is on 3rd line from the bottom (in Thai ...2549) which makes me about 21 ..yeah :o

Wiffee just mentioned that they.. Transport sunshine boys and girls have re -introduced a new CC type lifetime license ..she already has the old paper one but want a new yin....anyone confirm.?

If that is your Birthday then you are too young to be on this site and too young to be married, 2549 was 3 years ago!!!!!!!

I have the new type got from Nonthaburi, it was the only one they were issuing, should not be

difficult to change it.

Edited by beano2274

I can tell you from personal experience that certain insurance companies operating here in Thailand will not except even the International DL.

I was involved in a single vehicle accident some years back and when the insurance guy turned up the very first thing he asked for was my Thai DL, he was quite adamant that if I did not have one, then the insurance would not pay up, as it happens I did have one, so all was well.

I then checked on my insurance and sure enough there was a clause (in Thai) that states all drivers must be in possession of a valid Thai DL for the vehicle, as I did not read Thai, then I'd have been blissfully unaware of this!

So to sum up, get yourself a Thai license and do things legally, you just don't know what is around the next corner and it could get very expensive if you do not have this license.

Can you say which don't accept IDL? AXA and Viriyha do.

Can you say which don't accept IDL? AXA and Viriyha do.

As per my post above, this was the inference in my case. I can't say whether an IDL would have been accepted or not. The repair shop, Pattaya Garage, only asked for a Thai licence and my GF said they wouldn't have released the car without it.

It sounds like you know better but I'm glad I didn't have to argue the point. The insurance company is Viriyha and I think Pattaya Garage is a subsidiary.

The point remains the same throughout though - get one and then you don't have to wonder who's right..

Hi :o

I've been involved in two accidents with my car, both not my fault eve though the second one was blamed on me (i was coming out of a soi onto a main road - the fact that the motorbike which disintegrated into my left front side was not road-legal in any way, not insured, without license plate, without lights at night, traveling on the wrong side of the road at much too high a speed and it's driver was drunk and didn't have a license wasn't important) and my first-class insurance paid all the damage without even asking if i HAD a license at all. Also the cops were perfectly happy with my German license (i did have an international one, however not with me).

Germany, by the way, is one of the countries where you can drive legally on a foreign country's license for three months, but then you have to get a German one - which is VERY expensive however you can have all necessary papers/tests/etc in any language you desire, including Thai.

Best regards....

Thanh

The documents required for a license include permanent residence certified by Immigration or the Embassy, this is easier with a yellow book, which I thought most people would have. How do people get around this?

Taken from this site:

The following are required to make the application :

1. Passport with valid Non-immigrant Visa. (Individuals with a Tourist Visa don't qualify)

2. Present residence address certified by embassy or Immigration Bureau

3. Medical certificate stating good health

4. 2 photographs Driving License of the respective country Application in person.

Fee : 105 baht for cars and 55 baht for motorcycle. Applications for driving licenses for other forms of vehicle may not be granted.

I think we have a serious mix-up of terminology here. Permanent Residence is something very few foreigners in Thailand have, supposedly only a couple of hundred PRs are granted each year. There are several reasons for this, two being:

1/ The process of obtaining one takes a minimum of 3-4 years (you have to prove you have been paying taxes here for a minimum of three years before you can even apply, if I remember correctly).

2/ The cost for a Permanent Residency is 191,400 baht + any lawyers fees (optional).

Anybody who is interested can take a look at the pinned thread at the top of the Visa Forum.

As in the the requirements you posted, the LTD want an "address certificate" from your embassy or consulate (my consulate calls it a "Certificate of Existence"!). My consulate wanted to see my lease agreement to issue the certificate, some other countries' consulates work with sworn affidavits.

I would guess that quite few foreigners here would have a "yellow book", but I may be wrong. I am almost sure that I personally don't know anybody with such a document, but again I may be wrong.

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

Please enlighten us where you can get a lifetime license in Thailand.I always thought that 5 years was the maximum validity.At least for foreigner not sure about Thai citizens but think the same as I always see Thais renewing there license.

Please enlighten us where you can get a lifetime license in Thailand.I always thought that 5 years was the maximum validity.At least for foreigner not sure about Thai citizens but think the same as I always see Thais renewing there license.

I would guess Ms Bino is Thai (wife, g/f etc) :o