Is It Illegal To Drive Without Thai License?

Green19

my reason is i dont work here.. i just live and i got my 1 year NON - O visa.. when i asked the people who taught me to drive they said i must have thai Work Permit or residenceship... so how on earth i am eligible for this?

What they told you was incorrect. A 1 yr non-o visa is more than adequate.

You need a certificate of residence from your local immi office and a medical cert, that's it.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my reason is i dont work here.. i just live and i got my 1 year NON - O visa.. when i asked the people who taught me to drive they said i must have thai Work Permit or residenceship... so how on earth i am eligible for this?

What you have been told is wrong, you have a 1 year Non-O, all you need to get is a certificate of residence and a medical certificate and you can do your 1 year Thai DL

• 2 weeks later...
I can tell you from personal experience that certain insurance companies operating here in Thailand will not except even the International DL.

I was involved in a single vehicle accident some years back and when the insurance guy turned up the very first thing he asked for was my Thai DL, he was quite adamant that if I did not have one, then the insurance would not pay up, as it happens I did have one, so all was well.

I then checked on my insurance and sure enough there was a clause (in Thai) that states all drivers must be in possession of a valid Thai DL for the vehicle, as I did not read Thai, then I'd have been blissfully unaware of this!

So to sum up, get yourself a Thai license and do things legally, you just don't know what is around the next corner and it could get very expensive if you do not have this license.

An IDL is valid for a period of six months in any one country. So, if you live in one country for more than six months, you have to get a local licence. That is in the treaty about the IDL, not a local Thai idea.

So, if you have lived here for less than six months and you have an IDL (which is only valid in conjuntion with your home country's local driving licence), then the insurance company will have to accept it. I don't think the clause was a "valid Thai DL" but rather a "a DL valid in Thailand". Thai clerks are often not well-trained, send me the relevant paragraph in Thai language and I'll translate it for you.

To summarise, you have to have a valid drivers licence. If you live here, by all means have your home country's local licence transfered into a Thai licence, or make a new Thai licence. It's really not that difficult or expensive, and you'll get it done within a day, which is really fast for Thai authorities.

If you get caught once and 'fined' expect your card to be marked and you will be stopped each time as they know you are good for X baht 'tax' each time you go out.

I've never seen any "marking" when paying the tea money on the spot, but if you go the other route and the policeman takes your licence back to the station for collection when you go there to pay, they will staple your licence to the ticket. Subsequent policemen will notice the staple holes, and more importantly the amount of them, and know all about you!

Ms. bino's lifetime licence looks like swiss cheese!

I got a sticker on the back of my pinky one. This says that I got officially fined before (for speeding). Not only the staple mark.

I don't pay tea money. If I do something wrong, I'll certainly have to pay up, but I want a receipt. It's a matter of principle...

I talk to a lot of thai's driving around who can't be bothered to obtain a driving licence, and just prefer to pay the "tea-money" when they get stopped.

I'm so glad I don't meet these people in traffic, but then I live in Bangkok. What you are saying is horrifying, and I would have thought this to be true 20 years ago, but now? But then, and I may have mentioned it, I live in Bangkok. People just get their DL, it's really not a big issue and saves you from being stopped and fined (with or without receipt).

What you have been told is wrong, you have a 1 year Non-O, all you need to get is a certificate of residence and a medical certificate and you can do your 1 year Thai DL

Correct, you need a non-imm (never mind which class), but a work permit is not required.

Certificate of Residence is only required when you apply for the first time, or when you change addresses. This document will be issued by your embassy. The medical cert is only necessary for the first application.

It is not legal to drive on a foreign license in Thailand without an international license at all. Temporary visitors may drive on an international license. Thailand is only a signatory of the original convention on international licenses and your international license is only valid in Thailand for 3 months from the date of issue, whatever it says on the front. People on longer term visas must get a Thai license. Insurance companies can legally refuse to honour your insurance policy if you are living here and don't have a Thai driving license because you are driving illegally.

If you don't like staple marks put in a Thai license by police, report your license as lost and get a new one in a few minutes for 100 baht.

In the old days, it was possible to hand over expired international licenses to Thai police and let them keep them but unfortunately they are now more savvy and know which way to hold them up and how to read the expiry date! I must have donated about half a dozen of them to various police stations.

Driving without a valid licence is a crime and should be treated as such. Whether in Thailand or another country.

It all comes down having an accident and someone being hurt.

Shame on you you if you do drive without a valid licence.

Edited by newcomer01

I've been here in Thailand a month now. I have a British driving license but no international permit. Is this legal or not? Some countries allow you to drive for 3 months on a foreign license before getting a local one. I will apply for a Thai license just as soon as my work permit is sent to me. Just concerned about the regular checks I see the BiB doing in my area.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but you might have had too much beer? Why did they named it an International license? No Intern., no Thai license and you'll be in deep shit if something happens. No insurance will pay for any damage. Or lives.

Some countries they dont allow two feet for auto car..

And rightly so....this practice is dangerous, should be right foot only driving an auto...

Think of it this way...driving a manual, you only use your left foot for the clutch ?, right foot for the gas and brake...so why should driving an auto be any different.??

i dont understand the danger in it.. if the driver can control the vehicle. even a manual they use two so in auto they are keeping one rested. if the right foot have physical disorder or the driver feels difficult to move it within two padles will it be allowed to use two feet then?

i dont understand the danger in it.. if the driver can control the vehicle. even a manual they use two so in auto they are keeping one rested. if the right foot have physical disorder or the driver feels difficult to move it within two padles will it be allowed to use two feet then?

To me the danger is a person has a foot on the pedal which makes you go forward or backward and another on the pedal which is suppose to stop you...there a case of co-ordination between the two pedals, so to me there is a definite danger in trying to drive in this manner, if as suggested the driver has a problem moving between the two pedals with one foot, then I would suggest that may be, he shouldnt be driving...

I remember my driving lessons back in the mists of time and still remember the instructor to this day.....Manual driving...left foot for clutch..nothing else.....Right foot only automatics...

>I've been here in Thailand a month now. I have a British driving license but no international permit. Is this legal or not?

It is illegal.

To drive in Thailand you must have a Thai licence for the class of vehicle you are driving or an International Driving Permit which is supported by a valid licence from another country, the IDP is generally valid for one year from date of issue - at point of issue the IDP may be forward dated for up to six months.

An IDP in Thailand is vaild for three months. If you remain in Thailand longer than three months you should/must get a Thai driving licence - not a hard task.

You will probably be able to pass most police check points with an IDP for longer than the technical three month limit, however knowing what the law states means when you are fined by a policemen that wants to make a point you understand what's happening.

I have seen police check points accept a national licence from a foriegn country without the IDP that should be carried and presented - the 'fine' for failure to have an IDP will be 200/400 Baht, typically.

>Some countries allow you to drive for 3 months on a foreign license before getting a local one.

Really? Which ones?

> I will apply for a Thai license just as soon as my work permit is sent to me.

Only need: IDP, proof of address, one year visa stamp. The WP4 makes life easier as with that the LTO know the rest of the paperwork is correct.

When you apply for Thai licence take two copies of everything with you and sign each copy.

> Just concerned about the regular checks I see the BiB doing in my area.

If you get caught once and 'fined' expect your card to be marked and you will be stopped each time as they know you are good for X baht 'tax' each time you go out.

-------------------------------

Come from Sweden, live permantently here in Thailand and my International driving license (issued in Sweden) valid for ONE year. and it doesn´t allow me to drive in the country I live in (Thailand).

Take Thai driving license ASAP, very handy. remember that they want from you copy of your passport stamped and confirmed by immigration as well.

Glegolo

• 2 weeks later...

To me the danger is a person has a foot on the pedal which makes you go forward or backward and another on the pedal which is suppose to stop you...there a case of co-ordination between the two pedals, so to me there is a definite danger in trying to drive in this manner, if as suggested the driver has a problem moving between the two pedals with one foot, then I would suggest that may be, he shouldnt be driving...

I remember my driving lessons back in the mists of time and still remember the instructor to this day.....Manual driving...left foot for clutch..nothing else.....Right foot only automatics...

I recently went to Pantip and when i came out to go home i got a taxi in which the driver was using hand for drive. he dont use leg. his car was modified for him to drive so as you have suggested if someone have foot problem then why he drive taxi? you would tell him to go home and sleep?

I recently went to Pantip and when i came out to go home i got a taxi in which the driver was using hand for drive. he dont use leg. his car was modified for him to drive so as you have suggested if someone have foot problem then why he drive taxi? you would tell him to go home and sleep?

:D ....No I am not suggesting he shouldnt be driving, as you have pointed out his car was modified to drive with his hands...

I am not talking about people who have a modifed car because of a specific disability....I am talking about some one who has two perfectly good feet and cant seem to manage the "technical complexity" of coordinating one of their feet between two pedals.....would suggest to me they would a problem of walking and chewing gum at the same time... :)

Edited by Soutpeel