Needed Documents For Thai Driver´s License? Tdl W/o Wp? :)

atelko

What do you need to certify your present residential address at the embassy or the IO? A Bill that shows you paid rent for a month or do they need more?

Where and how do I get a medical certificate? Do I just go to a hospital and say that I need it for my TDL-Application and they make a short check?

What is the check all about? And how much does it cost?

I read that somebody with an international DL doesn´t need to pass the practical test, but still has to make the written test.

Is it possible not to do both of them?

I did also read that by showing your Thai ID at some parks and other places you get discount or don´t have to pay Farang prices.

It is not a big deal for me if that is not right, but if it is correct, it´s good to know :o

What do you need to certify your present residential address at the embassy or the IO? A Bill that shows you paid rent for a month or do they need more?

At immigration - I can't remember what I took, definitely passport, and photograph (4 cm x 5 cm), maybe rental agreement. Go and ask them about "Certificate of Residence". They didn't charge anything for it.

Where and how do I get a medical certificate? Do I just go to a hospital and say that I need it for my TDL-Application and they make a short check?

Yes.

Any doctor or clinic will do it. About 80 baht. If he's thorough, he may even get his his stethoscope out and have a listen. One time, I didn't even see the doc as he was my regular doc and knew I was still breathing. Still charged 80 baht though.

I read that somebody with an international DL doesn´t need to pass the practical test, but still has to make the written test.

Yes. I had an IDP - International Driving Permit. Just had to do a "colour blindness test" - looking at pages in a book and identifying the number "hidden" amongst all the coloured spots. Things may have changed recently - some people have had to do a "reaction test". Sounds fun.

I did also read that by showing your Thai ID at some parks and other places you get discount or don´t have to pay Farang prices.

It is not a big deal for me if that is not right, but if it is correct, it´s good to know :o

I've read that too, but never tried it. I don't go to National Parks anymore as a point of principle!

@ atelko

So did you manage to get the ellusive certificate?

Please give details to help us all obtain one, i know that in other provinces recent posts have said they are not available any more...

So please enlighten us on your experiences?

@ atelko

So did you manage to get the ellusive certificate?

Please give details to help us all obtain one, i know that in other provinces recent posts have said they are not available any more...

So please enlighten us on your experiences?

will post the informations after having it done :o

hopefully get the stuff w/o any probs...

Not sure about the German embassy, but at the US embassy: I told the very nice Thai lady that was helping me that I needed a statement of proof of residential address for a Thai Driver's License. She handed me a simple one page form that I filled out. 15 minutes later I had the requisite document. Of course, I brought a copy of my rental contract with me. Easy, easy. They obviously get this request very often.

Yes. It is that simple. How thorough the check is and how much it costs depends on the hospital you go to. When I got my 1- year temp license (all first time applicants get only a 1-year temp) I went to the nearest hospital and received a cursory check. A couple hundred baht later I was out the door with the required document. When I extended my 1-year to a 5-year, I went to my now regular hospital (BNH) and was subjected to a more rigorous (but sensible) exam and I paid about B1500.

In my case, I had the IDL and had to take 4 practical tests including the the color vision test and reaction test. Easy. Very practical and easy tests that simply tested the ability to react to normal driving situations, i.e. can you tell the difference between a green light and a red light? I just watched how the Thai applicants took the test first and then followed their example. Don't worry about the tests and quite honestly, and if you can't pass these simple tests you really should not be behind the wheel of a car :D

o read that by showing your Thai ID at some parks and other places you get discount or don´t have to pay Farang prices.

Yes! It works. I have already recuperated the costs of obtaining the Thai DL. Just don't be shy about showing your Thai DL in those situations.

One additional benefit: When asked for my passport in a bank, hotel, etc., I can usually just produce my Thai DL (which has the passport number on it) and be granted clearance. Irrationally or not, I am deathly afraid of losing my passport. Having a Thai DL reduces those events when I MUST carry my passport with me.

Remember your IDL is only good for 1 year. If you wait until your IDL expires then you will have to take the written test (in Thai) and pass a driving test. Better do it now and "get while the getting is good!"

Good luck. Follow the rules and it is a relatively painless process.

not sure if its still applicable, but read another story about IDL here...

Waited about 20 minutes to see the woman at desk 17. Despite it being the desk for 'foreigners,' she spoke no English whatsoever. I can speak basic Thai, so could manage on my own. If you don't speak any Thai and you're applying for a licence and don't have to do any kinds of tests (since you're exempt by way of producing your home country's licence) and your paperwork is entirely correct, you should be okay. However, anything more complicated than this and I would definitely say bring someone along who can speak Thai, since after this things quickly get quite confusing and in my experience no-one there speaks a word of English.

She went through my documents and told me I was fine (with my full UK licence - I didn't produce an IDP or any kind of International Driving Licence and my licence had in no way been 'certified from embassy') for the car licence (no tests required). As I suspected, and as others have mentioned in this thread, she told me I'd have to go through the whole test procedure for the motorbike licence from scratch.