Is There Something Wrong With Me?

thaimate

about a week ago i wrote a piece ,asking if there was something wrong with my wife ,because unlike all the other "horror" stories we read on here my wife is normal and behaves like any wife should.

now i seem to be reading posts where people are constantly getting ripped off ,bad service , and Thais being rude to them .well apart from a farang woman in buisness who stiched me up and 3 years ago the guy who emptied our cesspit overcharging ,people always seem to be polite ,i never get shortchanged and staff in stores are if anything overpolite and attentive.

so now i ask the question why am i picked out to be well treated ,is there something wrong with me? :o

thaimate, you are probably no different from the vast majority of expats living in Thailand. It's unfortunately the norm for a lot of people to focus on the occasional bad thing they encounter and post accordingly. Even when someone starts a positive thread here it's quickly taken over by the negative mob.

no

you probably are polite to shopkeepers, don't have an attitude about 'us' and 'them' , don't wear sandals, tshirt and shorts, or maybe no tshirt at all, smile, tip occasionally and treat people how you wish to be treated, respect the locals and don't look down at them

you are such a let down :o

you smug b@st@rd :D :D

Edited by ernest1966

no

you probably are polite to shopkeepers, don't have an attitude about 'us' and 'them' , don't wear sandals, tshirt and shorts, or maybe no tshirt at all, smile, tip occasionally and treat people how you wish to be treated, respect the locals and don't look down at them

you are such a let down :D

you smug b@st@rd :D :D

oh thats it,is it :o

It's a fair question, but in asking it you need to be open to all possible answers. One of which is that you may be oblivious to the reality around you.

An affliction as common in those who see nothing but the positive as it is in those who see nothing but negativity.

Only a fool would believe life is anything but a balance between the two.

Edited by GuestHouse

Are you Thai? Do you live in Thailand? If so, where?

I don't expect an honest answer so don't bother.

Maybe you're as oblivious to what's going on around you as they are.

Edit: Sorry GH for using the same word as you, but we posted at the same time

Edited by Shotime

Are you Thai? Do you live in Thailand? If so, where?

I don't expect an honest answer so don't bother.

Maybe you're as oblivious to what's going on around you as they are.

Edit: Sorry GH for using the same word as you, but we posted at the same time

no ime British,and if you looked at my avitar you would see that i live in Pattaya.

Standby for the I am always ripped off club......

Well as I suggest above, they're as divorced from reality as the "I'm never ripped off club".

Both seemed to have availed themselves of the opportunity to dump their frontal lobes at the airport on their way into Thailand.

It's a fair question, but in asking it you need to be open to all possible answers. One of which is that you may be oblivious to the reality around you.

An affliction as common in those who see nothing but the positive as it is in those who see nothing but negativity.

Only a fool would believe life is anything but a balance between the two.

I believe you reap what you sow. I have a friend, he likes nice suits. One day he followed us in a biker bar with his latest Armani suit. We were a bit worry. But the way he answered the first jokes ... within one hour he was everybody's best friend. As other posters said, he is nice, polite, stand his ground but doesn't look down on anybody ... And from the biker bar to the boardroom, it works, he is a very suceesful guy.

I'm not that good but I tried to learn from him. When you enter some new places smile, joke, and if you don't like it just walk away and forget about it. Life is what you make it.

I'm in the "middle of the road club" :o

I have most definately been ripped off, ignored, bad mouthed and generally badly treated by Thais on occasion.

But, in general I agree with the OP, 99.9% of the time there are absolutely no issues, nice is as nice does :D

Crossy If your in the 99.9% group, of acceptance with no issue, in This country or any other for that matter, you must be getting close to saint hood. Of course you realize that this can only take place after you have left this world and have improved it somewhat in your passage through it. I like a man who see the sunshine reflected from a puddle of shit.

Crossy If your in the 99.9% group, of acceptance with no issue, in This country or any other for that matter, you must be getting close to saint hood. Of course you realize that this can only take place after you have left this world and have improved it somewhat in your passage through it. I like a man who see the sunshine reflected from a puddle of shit.

OK, so maybe I was a bit keen with the 9's :o But certainly much more often without issue than with :D

You can get ripped of in any country in the world, not just in Thailand. I have been ripped off in better places than this and walked into it eyes wide open. If you look like a victim you are likely to be a victim. I find the small scams that they play here more amusing than annoying. Whereas in the West they play for bigger stakes. Just my experience.

Cheers, Rick

Hello Thaimate - I have to say my experience is about the same as yours. Overall I'd say I'm treated better here than in my home country in terms of customer service, politeness etc. We are not Thai, never will be, no matter how long we stay will never be fully "accepted" no matter how well we speak Thai, but frankly I don't care - my lifestyle here is superior to one I could get at home and in many other countries so, by choice, I stay. If it gets too much for me then I'll excercise my right to leave, in the meantime I am making the most of it.

Hello Thaimate - I have to say my experience is about the same as yours. Overall I'd say I'm treated better here than in my home country in terms of customer service, politeness etc. We are not Thai, never will be, no matter how long we stay will never be fully "accepted" no matter how well we speak Thai, but frankly I don't care - my lifestyle here is superior to one I could get at home and in many other countries so, by choice, I stay. If it gets too much for me then I'll excercise my right to leave, in the meantime I am making the most of it.

spot on. :o

about a week ago i wrote a piece ,asking if there was something wrong with my wife ,because unlike all the other "horror" stories we read on here my wife is normal and behaves like any wife should.

now i seem to be reading posts where people are constantly getting ripped off ,bad service , and Thais being rude to them .well apart from a farang woman in buisness who stiched me up and 3 years ago the guy who emptied our cesspit overcharging ,people always seem to be polite ,i never get shortchanged and staff in stores are if anything overpolite and attentive.

so now i ask the question why am i picked out to be well treated ,is there something wrong with me? :o

Ah nope nothing wrong with you , my experiences here have for the most part been very pleasant, there is the rare rude or cranky person. But much more friendly here than in the west. I guess its more telling of whom you choose to have around you, and the places you choose to spend your time in, the situations we create for ourselves influence our views on the world around us.. I choose to be happy and i am. Its too bad many forigners here arent, but its their own doing, :D

spot on. :o

double spot on :D

No you are the majority and remember bad news sells, who wants to hear good news especially on TV, NO one it appears, either that or you will be accused of being a liar. To be honest Tv is a bit of a joke in regards to any positive news.

Ah nope nothing wrong with you , my experiences here have for the most part been very pleasant, there is the rare rude or cranky person. But much more friendly here than in the west. I guess its more telling of whom you choose to have around you, and the places you choose to spend your time in, the situations we create for ourselves influence our views on the world around us.. I choose to be happy and i am. Its too bad many forigners here arent, but its their own doing,

Can't agree more. Use the same senses as you do back in the old country. Usually when you are in to trouble, they come from the"outside"

Really has to do with how much you expose yourself to possible situations and where you frequent. If you stay in your apartment most of the time and just walk to seven eleven or the pub occasionally then ya not much going to happen, but if youre out and about nonstop shit will find you. Also if you insist on doing the dirty market and tourist crap you are going to see a totally different world then if you refuse to go anywhere but paragon and other high end elite places.

It's amazing that in a country where the price of almost everything is largely flexible you have always managed to pay the exact correct price, without being overcharged (except 1 time).

In reality it's more likely that you do get overcharged sometimes, you are just not aware of it.

I'm sure that I unknowingly overpay for a few things per week, it would probably be foolish to think otherwise.

It's amazing that in a country where the price of almost everything is largely flexible you have always managed to pay the exact correct price, without being overcharged (except 1 time).

In reality it's more likely that you do get overcharged sometimes, you are just not aware of it.

I'm sure that I unknowingly overpay for a few things per week, it would probably be foolish to think otherwise.

I can't believe it. How long have you been living in Thailand? Two month ? Three ?

Most of the time the shop attendant is just an employee and doesn't care if you're a foreigner or from the planet Mars.

You probably never left the same tourist spots and you're talking of "a country where the price of almost everything is largely flexible" ... :o

If you really want to know a place, get out of the tourist spots :D

Edited by Pierrot

I think one of the problems with the 'I got ripped off," stuff is that this is a country with a lot of haggling over price. So, even if you get a fair deal, someone will tell you that you were ripped off because they got something for 10 baht cheaper.

It also depends on where you live. In the tourist areas it's fairly normal to charge more (and they do it to Thais as well), but in the more suburban and rural areas that's not the case. In more rural areas everyone knows, or everyone thinks everyone knows, how far it is and how much it should cost.

I can't believe it. How long have you been living in Thailand? Two month ? Three ?

Most of the time the shop attendant is just an employee and doesn't care if you're a foreigner or from the planet Mars.

You probably never left the same tourist spots and you're talking of "a country where the price of almost everything is largely flexible" ... :o

If you really want to know a place, get out of the tourist spots :D

Maybe you should get outside the supermarkets more. I'm talking about markets, stalls, shops (not Tesco where the price is fixed and marked).

How am i supposed to know the exact price (for example) a long pair of socks at a market stall. They might tell me 40baht, but how do i know the next person won't get them for 35?

Suppose i go to get my watch repaired, guy quotes 100baht, maybe the real price is 90baht.

You think the employees don't want to overcharge you? Yeah right, where do you think the extra 10 baht from above example will go? Straight in the employees pocket...

and so do i.

Says it all for me.........

Maybe you should get outside the supermarkets more. I'm talking about markets, stalls, shops (not Tesco where the price is fixed and marked).

How am i supposed to know the exact price (for example) a long pair of socks at a market stall. They might tell me 40baht, but how do i know the next person won't get them for 35?

Suppose i go to get my watch repaired, guy quotes 100baht, maybe the real price is 90baht.

You think the employees don't want to overcharge you? Yeah right, where do you think the extra 10 baht from above example will go? Straight in the employees pocket...

First I know the price of the soup noodle, the socks or everything else because it's the average price in my neighborhood. Does someone else get a cheaper price ? I don't know but if I start making my life a hel_l because of that, it's a medical condition called "paranoia"

that would be indeed terrible! :o