Ask Me Anything About Golf In Thailand!

thailandgolf

Hi everybody, just thought I'd introduce myself since we have taken the opportunity to sponsor this Golf in Thailand forum.  Thailandgolfers.com is a new site that offers you the cheapest green fees at some of Thailand's best golf courses, including member-ony courses like Thai Country Club and Alpine Golf & Sports Club.

There are no golf cards (thank god!), just visit the site, choose the course, pay online via credit card and tee it up!

The site is still in BETA but go ahead and try it out, if you come across any bugs or problems, just send us an email, or PM me here and I will try to help you personally.

Interested to hear your thoughts and comments, both positive and negative.

If you have any other questions about golf in Thailand, please also feel free to contact me personally or as usual via posting.

Thanks to thaivisa.com for making this easy, one of the better websites in Thailand to deal with!

Great golfing!

Thailand Golf Team

here's my question: "what makes grown up people running around in the heat, wearing one glove, trying to put little balls in little holes?" :o

Glad to see you back.

You'd have to have played a long time to fully appreciate it. I've been playing since I was 12. Grew up next to a public course, and we would sneak on and play all day. Sort of like the Thais do here. Golf has saved my life more than once. It gives you something to focus your brain on, instead of all the "oblivion" going on around you. Mark Twain said it ruins a nice walk in the park. I don't think he was much of a golfer. If you're in the right company, it can be a totally enjoyable 3 or 4 hours. It's a beautiful environment, except for the poison ivy, and you're secluded from the world outside. Sort of like the beach. No cares or woes allowed past this point. I have a ball when I play. Good or bad.

I wish you luck with your web site, but if you play late in the day, fees are less than half what you would pay otherwise, and you can easily play 18 before dark. It's also not as hot, and it's beautiful to finish at dark. Great time to be out there as the sun sets.

NIce website; it's well done and chock full of excellent graphics and course information.

My only real substantive comment is that your site reflects 'walk-in' rates that are not accurate...they are higher than their actual costs. For example, I play regularly at Royal Chiang Mai and their current walk-in rate for weekdays is THB 1,000. I know...I just played there and paid THB 1,000 including the caddy fee (but not her tip). I am not a member and have no special pricing deals...I simply asked the gal in the pro shop how much a round of golf would cost me and she told me THB 1,000. Last year, RCM offered booklets of 10 coupons for greens fees during the off-season, priced at THB 10,000; this year they will simply sell each game at THB 1,000 through 31 Oct. Your site pegs that 'walk-in" rate as THB 1,400 and then you offer to save golfers money by charging them THB 1,300 as a reduced rate. Your displayed walk-in rate is 40 percent higher than it really is, but naturally you are free to charge what ever your market will bear for your site's services. It seems a bit like false advertising though to portray the course pricing in such a way to make your potential clients pay THB 300 more than necessary.

This makes me wary of your site's pricing for all other golf courses in Thailand as well...could I get a better deal by doing my own booking? I suspect so. Please bear in mind that you are offering service for expats who already live here (by and large) who are quite able to do their own price comparisons and in many cases have articulate Thai wives to do this for them.

The low season brings with it some tremendous deals in golf and you are doing a disservice to expats by failing to show the true costs this time of year.

Better do some serious updating or you will lose credibility fast and be quickly be dismissed as an on-line scalper.

Nice looking site, and good luck with the venture.

I would be careful with your price guarantee however, several societies in Pattaya have negotiated lower rates than you at local courses. One that I checked I could pay their green fee plus annual membership for less than your quoted green fee.

So,

Tiger woods is in Ireland(I'm Irish so I'm allowed tell this joke) and he's on his way to the K Club to play some Golf and stops in a brand new top of the range Mercedes at this tiny little garage to get petrol and oil,

the little Irish mechanic is well impressed with the merc and asks what the little machine on the dash is,so Tiger goes "thats my GPS so I dont get lost",the mechanic then asks about the reverse camera and screen and Tiger explains that,finally as he is looking in the front of the car the mechanic spots a couple of golf tee's sitting on the dash and asks "and now,tell us Toiger,what are they for?"

and Tiger says, "oh,they're just to put my balls on when I'm driving"...

to which the Mechanic replies "Jaysus,them fella's at mercedes think of EVERYTHING" :o

Best of luck with your effort, there are many companies offering golf in thailand and for a fact i know that it is not easy to bring golfers around.

However your quotations are obviously for overseas visitors as local residents get preferential rates (mainly during hot summer and rainy season)

Will watch your site from time to time for eventual promotions

Chock Dee

The low season brings with it some tremendous deals in golf and you are doing a disservice to expats by failing to show the true costs this time of year.

That is a good point... many have sports days with green fees as low as 600 baht.

The website looks good and has some good course information. However it does quote:

Guaranteed lowest cost Thailand green fees. Why pay walk-in prices when you can save up to 50% off the public green fees with us? Moreover, if you find any green fee cheaper will refund you 2x the difference!!!!

I played at Nichigo in Kanchanaburi and the green fee was only 300 baht for unlimited golf on their sport's day(Wednesday). On the website their quoted weekday fee is 1000 baht. It might get quite costly in refunds if they follow through on this offer.

here's my question: "what makes grown up people running around in the heat, wearing one glove, trying to put little balls in little holes?" :o

Glad to see you back.

You'd have to have played a long time to fully appreciate it. I've been playing since I was 12. Grew up next to a public course, and we would sneak on and play all day. Sort of like the Thais do here. Golf has saved my life more than once. It gives you something to focus your brain on, instead of all the "oblivion" going on around you. Mark Twain said it ruins a nice walk in the park. I don't think he was much of a golfer. If you're in the right company, it can be a totally enjoyable 3 or 4 hours. It's a beautiful environment, except for the poison ivy, and you're secluded from the world outside. Sort of like the beach. No cares or woes allowed past this point. I have a ball when I play. Good or bad.

I wish you luck with your web site, but if you play late in the day, fees are less than half what you would pay otherwise, and you can easily play 18 before dark. It's also not as hot, and it's beautiful to finish at dark. Great time to be out there as the sun sets.

Thanks for the note, and great reply! Yes, you can get some deals playing late afternoon, we'll be addressing all these issues as soon as we can.

Thanks also for your comments - much appreciated.

You are correct and make some excellent points. Most of the green fees on the site are standard walk-in rates, and as the site is still new, we'll be trying to address the issues you mention, however, as you mentioned, it's an almost impossible task trying to keep up with what the golf courses are offering, but we certainly will be looking into this and seeing if there is another way we can "advertise".

FYI, the site is really targeting golfers who want to play the better courses, and in particular, courses such as Thai Country Club and Alpine, although realize this doesnt apply to yourself so much.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment and be assured we are not a "fly-by-night" outfit!

Great golfing!

NIce website; it's well done and chock full of excellent graphics and course information.

My only real substantive comment is that your site reflects 'walk-in' rates that are not accurate...they are higher than their actual costs. For example, I play regularly at Royal Chiang Mai and their current walk-in rate for weekdays is THB 1,000. I know...I just played there and paid THB 1,000 including the caddy fee (but not her tip). I am not a member and have no special pricing deals...I simply asked the gal in the pro shop how much a round of golf would cost me and she told me THB 1,000. Last year, RCM offered booklets of 10 coupons for greens fees during the off-season, priced at THB 10,000; this year they will simply sell each game at THB 1,000 through 31 Oct. Your site pegs that 'walk-in" rate as THB 1,400 and then you offer to save golfers money by charging them THB 1,300 as a reduced rate. Your displayed walk-in rate is 40 percent higher than it really is, but naturally you are free to charge what ever your market will bear for your site's services. It seems a bit like false advertising though to portray the course pricing in such a way to make your potential clients pay THB 300 more than necessary.

This makes me wary of your site's pricing for all other golf courses in Thailand as well...could I get a better deal by doing my own booking? I suspect so. Please bear in mind that you are offering service for expats who already live here (by and large) who are quite able to do their own price comparisons and in many cases have articulate Thai wives to do this for them.

Better do some serious updating or you will lose credibility fast and be quickly be dismissed as an on-line scalper.

The website looks good and has some good course information. However it does quote:
Guaranteed lowest cost Thailand green fees. Why pay walk-in prices when you can save up to 50% off the public green fees with us? Moreover, if you find any green fee cheaper will refund you 2x the difference!!!!

I played at Nichigo in Kanchanaburi and the green fee was only 300 baht for unlimited golf on their sport's day(Wednesday). On the website their quoted weekday fee is 1000 baht. It might get quite costly in refunds if they follow through on this offer.

Cheers for your input too, I've addressed a similar comment in another post, basically we'll try to keep updated on what specials are happening,but as the site is new we've missed some issues such as yours and others in here, but will be working on updating some text and fees over the next week and a bit. Thanks again.

Hit it Long!

Have read all your comments so far and if I havent replied directly, then thanks for your comments. We've taken them all onboard and will look at addressing them in the next week or so.

I do want to mention, many of the courses offering big discounts are the lower end courses. Our focus on the site is to attract people wanting to play the better golf courses that are usually members only, such as Thai Country Club, Alpine and Blue Canyon. As you can imagine, it's quite a hard job trying to keep up with the golf courses latest rates, especially during low season such as now. However, hopefully the site will become much more useful to more expat golfers during high season, and as mentioned, those that are wanting to play the better courses.

Keep your comments good and bad coming - most appreciated.

Great golfing!

Have read all your comments so far and if I havent replied directly, then thanks for your comments. We've taken them all onboard and will look at addressing them in the next week or so.

I do want to mention, many of the courses offering big discounts are the lower end courses. Our focus on the site is to attract people wanting to play the better golf courses that are usually members only, such as Thai Country Club, Alpine and Blue Canyon. As you can imagine, it's quite a hard job trying to keep up with the golf courses latest rates, especially during low season such as now. However, hopefully the site will become much more useful to more expat golfers during high season, and as mentioned, those that are wanting to play the better courses.

Keep your comments good and bad coming - most appreciated.

Great golfing!

From this aspect you are doing us a great service...as I have often wanted to try a few upmarket courses as these are all well away from my locality. I came across a a bit harsh in my original post and certainly didn't mean to be. I think you can find a good niche in this oversubscribed market if you can keep up with your course research and consistently bring good deals on those high-end courses we all would like to play.

Cheers for your input too, I've addressed a similar comment in another post, basically we'll try to keep updated on what specials are happening,but as the site is new we've missed some issues such as yours and others in here, but will be working on updating some text and fees over the next week and a bit. Thanks again.

Hit it Long!

I can understand why you are looking towards the higher end of the tree as far as golf courses in Thailand go. Most overseas visitors and golfers with money in Thailand are obviously going to play the better courses. For me personally playing the upmarket courses on a regular basis is unfortunately out of my budget. I more used to playing the low-mid price courses. However, every once in a while I get the urge to play one of the top courses such as Black Mountain, Blue Canyon etc. Hopefully by checking out your website, I will be able to find some top deals. Good luck with the research and the site.

Me and some friends played Highlands in Chiang Mai 4 weeks ago. We paid 1060 baht incl caddiefee.

That is the price every day rest of the lowseason.

According to your website is the price 2000 baht weekdays and 3000 baht weekends.

I have played Highlands 3 times every year last 3 year and never payed more than 1000 baht plus caddyfee on weekdays.

I cannot see if your price 1700 baht for weekdays is incl caddy.

I suppose your company must have a good relation with all the golfclubs that are within your website so it would not be too complicated to ask them to tell you when they are changing their prices depending on season etc.

If you are interested in giving the right information to your customers.

If your customers find out they pay much more booking through you then for normal walkin your reputation will go down quickly.

:D:o:D

Again thanks for all your comments, good and bad, and as mentioned we'll hopefully be addressing some of these issues pretty soon. If anybody has any other comments outside what seems to be the main issue (courses offering discounted rates during low season), hope we can hear those also. Maybe there's some courses that aren't on the site that you want to see? Other services like golf equipment sales? Lessons?

Hi everybody, just thought I'd introduce myself since we have taken the opportunity to sponsor this Golf in Thailand forum. Thailandgolfers.com is a new site that offers you the cheapest green fees at some of Thailand's best golf courses, including member-ony courses like Thai Country Club and Alpine Golf & Sports Club.

There are no golf cards (thank god!), just visit the site, choose the course, pay online via credit card and tee it up!

The site is still in BETA but go ahead and try it out, if you come across any bugs or problems, just send us an email, or PM me here and I will try to help you personally.

Interested to hear your thoughts and comments, both positive and negative.

If you have any other questions about golf in Thailand, please also feel free to contact me personally or as usual via posting.

Thanks to thaivisa.com for making this easy, one of the better websites in Thailand to deal with!

Great golfing!

Thailand Golf Team

Why are most golf courses double priced Frang and then Thai prices way lower? :)

Hi,

I had a look through your site and it is indeed a well designed, easy to navigate site. When you refer to the money back offer, how is that supposed to work? A customer books through you at your rate, then instead of using that green fee, they buy a regular green fee from the course, bring that receipt to you for refund and the difference?

I'm just curious as to make your validity stronger, it should be a simple, open process.

I would think you might want to put in caveats about special deals the courses run that might counter your offer, and I am not referring to 'lower end' courses either. Places like Green Valley, Lotus, Lam Lukka and Royal, if you call in, you can get member guest rates versus visitor rates.

I'm just curious is all, as I think you have a great model, but the variability of rates and information could create issues for you with local expatriates that know how to work the system for the best deals. Just as an example, I looked on your site for the rate at Royal Golf out by the airport, 1800 baht, which when you compare it to their site, looks like a great deal. However, a call to them just now got me 1,100 baht for tomorrow. It's this random way of doing business the Thais' have that seems like your worst issue.

Best of luck and I look forward to being able to support an expatriate business once the quirks are worked out.

Regards,

Soi224

Edited by Soi224

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers, still working on a few changes - Thai time of course!

Hi,

I had a look through your site and it is indeed a well designed, easy to navigate site. When you refer to the money back offer, how is that supposed to work? A customer books through you at your rate, then instead of using that green fee, they buy a regular green fee from the course, bring that receipt to you for refund and the difference?

I'm just curious as to make your validity stronger, it should be a simple, open process.

I would think you might want to put in caveats about special deals the courses run that might counter your offer, and I am not referring to 'lower end' courses either. Places like Green Valley, Lotus, Lam Lukka and Royal, if you call in, you can get member guest rates versus visitor rates.

I'm just curious is all, as I think you have a great model, but the variability of rates and information could create issues for you with local expatriates that know how to work the system for the best deals. Just as an example, I looked on your site for the rate at Royal Golf out by the airport, 1800 baht, which when you compare it to their site, looks like a great deal. However, a call to them just now got me 1,100 baht for tomorrow. It's this random way of doing business the Thais' have that seems like your worst issue.

Best of luck and I look forward to being able to support an expatriate business once the quirks are worked out.

Regards,

Soi224

ok thanks for the comments, over the last few weeks we've tried to come up with different solutions to several of your guys suggestions and in particular address the issue of the lowest price.

Cut a long story short, we'll remove that.

We'd like to offer some kind of promotion to you guys who gave us some feedback, so if you have any ideas let me know - specials on golf equipment? Lessons?

As mentioned the site is still new so hopefully with the help of some golfers like yourselves we can continue to improve it and make it of some value.

Great golfing!

• 3 weeks later...
what can you expect to pay for a pro or a caddy

The caddy fee is 200 baht at most courses, plus a tip paid direct to the caddy of about 200+ baht.

To play an 18 hole game with a pro can be quite expensive, around 5,000 baht I have seen quoted. However, a one hour lesson at the driving range would be about 1,500 baht.