Opening A New Bank Account In Thailand

Sounds from one of the above posts like the MBK branch for Kasikorn would be a good choice, as would their branches at places like Siam Paragon.

I tried MBK branch on prev week — no success. No WP — no account. I explained that I'm a student :) and I have ED visa etc., etc... «No sir, I'm sorry ... No WP — no account».

Few days ago I tried to open savings account in KBank in 2 offices on Sathorn Rd. Fail. They want work permit. I just a student with ED visa, and I don't have work permit.

Does anyone know witch KBank branch open an accounts without work permit?

Try the Kasikorn branches on Sukhumvit or Silom where there's a lot of tourist traffic, you just have to keep trying different branches until you find one that's not staffed with flat earth types.

I checked out one branch on Sukh. near Asok BTS — fail.

People, maybe, someone opened account in KBank recently without WP? Can you point «right» branch for this? :)

Sounds from one of the above posts like the MBK branch for Kasikorn would be a good choice, as would their branches at places like Siam Paragon.

I tried MBK branch on prev week — no success. No WP — no account. I explained that I'm a student smile.png and I have ED visa etc., etc... «No sir, I'm sorry ... No WP — no account».

>

Few days ago I tried to open savings account in KBank in 2 offices on Sathorn Rd. Fail. They want work permit. I just a student with ED visa, and I don't have work permit.

Does anyone know witch KBank branch open an accounts without work permit?

Try the Kasikorn branches on Sukhumvit or Silom where there's a lot of tourist traffic, you just have to keep trying different branches until you find one that's not staffed with flat earth types.

I checked out one branch on Sukh. near Asok BTS — fail.

People, maybe, someone opened account in KBank recently without WP? Can you point «right» branch for this? smile.png

There is no such thing as the right branch, you just have to keep trying different branches but be aware that what works for one person may not work for another. This problem has been reported here hundreds of times over the years and from different locations in Thailand and the answer is always the same, keep trying different branches. I've been here for 10 years and have opened accounts at all the major banks (except TMB) in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai and frequently I have been refused (as recently as last year) and I don't have a work permit either (long stay O-A visa), People who have reported this problem (and from my own personal experience) the odds are better if you go to a tourist area where the bank is used to seeing lots of similar requests, if you had no sucess at Asoke, why not try lower Sukky or Silom.

Also without wishing to discourage you, it is not even a matter of trying different branches sometimes, but different days. Approximately 2.5 years ago I opened a savings account at the Kasikorn Bank Branch at Sukhumvit Soi 33, acting on advice from this forum that they were familiar with foreigners and knew that a work permit wasn't necessary. At that time I had a simple multi-entry non-Imm O visa, and no work permit. I opened the account without problems, instantly.

About five days after I did this, someone posted here that they had just gone to the same branch, and despite having a non-Imm O visa, was refused an account, because "you need a work permit". It is simply impossible to understand this sort of thing , but it is true.

My advice, for what it's worth, is, only completely current advice is worth following. So the experience of someone who opened an account "easily" 5 or 10 years ago isn't relevant to anything ( and nor is my 2 year old story!)

As has been posted earlier, Bangkok Bank has on its website information for foreigners wishing to open an account. It says directly that a work permit is not necessary, but you need to have a support letter. If you read and fulfill these conditions, and take a print out of the pages to the branch to prove to them that their own website says a work permit is unnecessary, and go to a Branch in a tourist area you may succeed.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

Edited by partington
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After dealing with Thanachart Bank for over a year I cannot recommend them for ONE REASON:

They can't be bothered to translate their fees and rates from Thai to English. On their website or in their branches.

As they are 49% owned by a Canadian bank called ScotiaBank, one might have thought they could provide this courtesy. A courtesy which is basic, essential information for non-Thai speakers.

Mind you, the decision from the bank manager is when he is laying his eyes squarely on you. Dressing decent wont hurt. Ha. To be honest, I have laughed over the years seeing situations where farang want something that is borderline and walking in looking like a bum. Just go in looking nice and respectable, and smile and you will probably get it. The bank manager doesn't want to see a scruffy farang in there every week.

Anyway, people will do as they please, but if you want to increase your chances the aforementioned is a no brainer.

Edited by utalkin2me

Hello to everybody!

Finally we (I and my wife) opened bank accounts in KBank!

We spent about 30 minutes and ( 800 + 500 ) * 2 THB in Exchange Tower (BTS Asok) branch.

We had a little communication problem, because managers hardly speak english :( Also this branch didn't have (or have, but not for us biggrin.png ) any debit cars except SME Debit Card for 800 THB for 1 year :( SME card isn't described in EN section of KBank website :) Kbank actually have more cheaper cards like "KBank debit card" for 200 THB for 1 year.

It was strange, but in that branch nobody asked me about WP after I have told that I'm a student with ED visa :) Just... «Oh, you are student... OK, please your passport and apartment rental agreement or papers from your school or university».

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just opened a savings account at K-Bank Sukhumvit 101 Branch. Here on a T-Visa. No WP needed. Just PP. Could not add an additional card holder (spouse) to primary account, but can do on second acc. Wait time = 15 minutes, time to get account =30 minutes. Time to get ATM card = Immediately, time to get PIN = 24hrs via email. Staff didn't speak good English, but let me speak to English rep from sister branch via cellphone.

Hello,

I have a question,

May I have some troubles (with bank or government) if my thai bank account gets regularly some incoming wire transfers?

Say 80 000thb/month, coming from Seychelles (I take an obvious example), ...?

And if it was a one time 1, 2M, would it be a problem?
Thanks

Hello,

I have a question,

May I have some troubles (with bank or government) if my thai bank account gets regularly some incoming wire transfers?

Say 80 000thb/month, coming from Seychelles (I take an obvious example), ...?

And if it was a one time 1, 2M, would it be a problem?

Thanks

Never had a problem, and been banking here at least 7 years.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know of an international bank in chiang mai that will accept Australian Checks after opening an account ?

Almost any bank in Thailand will collect on an Australian check, Bangkok Bank is an international bank having branches in London and New York. CIMB is Malaysian and UOB is Singaporean, all will take your check. But the real question is the cost and the timeframe involved, clearing an overseas check can take many many weeks, am unsure about the cost.

Seems Kasikorn offers Foreign Currency Deposit account, but conditions are quite restrictive.

I also need an account in another currency (EURO) but for now I wasn't able to find a good solution. Please let me know if you have any.

• Like 1

I think it is difficult

People in bank (at least where I am) have bad english.

Hard for them to explain to you how it works.

Also, Foreign Customer Deposits (At Kasikorn) accounts are very restrictive, need min deposit of 10 000usd, with monthly balance over 5000...

I think it is difficult

People in bank (at least where I am) have bad english.

Hard for them to explain to you how it works.

Also, Foreign Customer Deposits (At Kasikorn) accounts are very restrictive, need min deposit of 10 000usd, with monthly balance over 5000...

It's only restrictive if you don't want to pay any charges:

Initial Deposit

USD10,000 or equivalent at the market rate in case of other currencies.

Minimum Balance

The Monthly Average Daily Balance not less than USD5,000 or equivalent at the market rate in case of other currencies.

If the amount is less than USD5,000, it will be subject to an account maintaining fee of USD10 or equivalent at the market rate in case of other currencies.

The Kasikorn website is in English and pretty comprehensive and self explanatory;

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/BankAccounts/FCD/Pages/ForNonResidentAccount.aspx

• Like 1

Just went to the Chiang Mai K-Bank branch in Airport Central Plaza today trying to open an account. I was told that the law has changed. Foreigners are not allowed to open an account unless he/she has a work permit. Is this true?

No it's not true, try a different branch.

Alternatively you can try and force the issue, if you have aThai drivers license then you'll be accepted straight away regardless of your visa. What visa do you hold?

If anyone wants to open an account with Kassikorn Bank in Chiang Mai, the branch on the moat (East side), just up from Mike's hamburgerand the Tex Mex restaurant is farang freindly and the staff there seem to understand the rules better than most.

The branches of BAY, CIMB and UOB at the airport mall are also farang freindly and open accounts there will not be a problem.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1