Opening A New Bank Account In Thailand

#630 sum it up.I will be very surprised if you can open a Bangkok Bank account ,without a official sponsor.I was told by 4 BKK Banks that I needed

this along with the passport and verification of where I was residing in Thailand .I eventually got disgusted in trying different locations, then went to Kasikornbank to open a savings .I didn't need a sponsor there. Its seems to be getting more difficult more recently because the USA, IMOP are trying to influence banks abroad to adhere to there policies.

that being "Money Laundering".Its a trickle down effect.

Edited by riclag

#630 sum it up.I will be very surprised if you can open a Bangkok Bank account ,without a official sponsor.I was told by 4 BKK Banks that I needed

this along with the passport and verification of where I was residing in Thailand .I eventually got disgusted in trying different locations, then went to Kasikornbank to open a savings .I didn't need a sponsor there. Its seems to be getting more difficult more recently because the USA, IMOP are trying to influence banks abroad to adhere to there policies.

that being "Money Laundering".Its a trickle down effect.

If you look at the BKK Bank website link that I've posted above in #629, you'll see that they list exactly what the bank requires...and it's not much... just passport and a government photo ID.

And while it's not surprising that some bank staff there don't know their own requirements (considering that this is Thailand), you could always bring along a printout of their own website listing of the requirements...and...if necessary, either ask to speak to the manager, and/or, call the main BKK Bank support phone number and have them talk with the branch staff while you're there.

I've opened new accounts in the last year or two at both BKK Bank Siam Paragon and Standard Chartered at CentralWorld, and I don't have and have never had a work permit.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

only bank that has refused me was thai gov.savings bank when trying to open a fixed term.the wife made a quick call to head office sorted.

land and house opened a fixed acc.for me this yr.but they did need passport,proof of residence,drivers licence and I took along my tax id.card they did manage to work out why I don't have a work permit when I pointed out my extension stamp in my passport

RETIRED.

Thanks meatboy. Unfortunately Korat is a bit too far from Bangkok, where I live. I'll try once again locally.

Does not really help you either but I opened one in Pattaya last week with no issues - passport with extension of stay and driving licence, signed multiple bits of paper and it was done.

Thanks meatboy for the heads up.

Poster# 634. Its very difficult to give advise here when the rules of the same bank change according to the banks location in Thailand.Its been

my experience that each Provence has different criteria .When I tried to explain to them up here in Sakon Nakhon the account opening criteria

of the Bangkok Bank Web site they said I can open a account in Bangkok only. To open a savings account in Sakon I needed

a passport,address of where I was staying and most importantly some one who could vouch for me preferably a government employee.

Fortunately my GF's uncle is a teacher so I ended up using them as a guarantor.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in BKK in the last week of January and tried to open an account in at least 15 different branches of all the commonly seen banks all around BKK. None would allow it without a work permit or a thai resident as sponsor. At the last bank I finally conceded to using my partners BKK address as sponsorship but was then informed I could only open a local account which would not be internet enabled so was basically useless to me.

It seems that it can no longer be done.

I was in BKK in the last week of January and tried to open an account in at least 15 different branches of all the commonly seen banks all around BKK. None would allow it without a work permit or a thai resident as sponsor. At the last bank I finally conceded to using my partners BKK address as sponsorship but was then informed I could only open a local account which would not be internet enabled so was basically useless to me.

It seems that it can no longer be done.

All bank's should make it hard to open account's for every Tom, Dick and Harry. In Australia you need 100 point's built up by having a passport, driver's licence and some other stuff. So it would make sense to weed out the scum cheater's in Thailand to make it harder to open an account.

• 2 weeks later...

I open a saving account today at krungsri in central festival pattaya. Was very simple, I show my student visa and a copy of the immigration residence certificate. After 10 min I was out with a new account. After I go to Bangkok bank in central festival as well, and they told me that they need the original residence certificate and cannot open with a copy.... So I left....

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I am on an O-A visa and opened a savings account at Bangkok Bank Sukhumvit 11 a few weeks ago. All I was asked to provide was my passport (from which they copied the photo page and the visa), an address (which I had only scribbled down on a piece of paper!) and a mobile phone number. I wasn't asked for my licence, a sponsor or any other documentation.

In and out in fifteen minutes with a passbook, activated debit card and internet banking access.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A friend went to The Government savings bank in Rayong to open an account, he was told no way, one must be residing in Thailand for at least one year. They said this is a new law brought in by the Government and it applies to all banks.

First time I have heard of this excuse.

A friend went to The Government savings bank in Rayong to open an account, he was told no way, one must be residing in Thailand for at least one year. They said this is a new law brought in by the Government and it applies to all banks.

tell your friend to phone head office,i had the deputy manager refuse me,it just took one call to head office,he now calls me by my surname and sawadee me every time I see him.but I did have proof of residence[4yrs] tax id and drivers licence.

this was also the case at land and house bank.

tell your friend to phone head office,i had the deputy manager refuse me,it just took one call to head office,he now calls me by my surname and sawadee me every time I see him.but I did have proof of residence[4yrs] tax id and drivers licence.

,he now calls me by my surname and sawadee me every time I see him.

That's because he hates you now biggrin.png

I will pass this message onto him. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried every bank (various branches) on Samui and got told I needed a work permit at all of them (new regulations), tried a different Krungthai Bank today and and they opened one for me, only took an hour and 4 bank employees all helping and they still got the account name wrong (no surname) TiT

I tried every bank (various branches) on Samui and got told I needed a work permit at all of them (new regulations), tried a different Krungthai Bank today and and they opened one for me, only took an hour and 4 bank employees all helping and they still got the account name wrong (no surname) TiT

Asking for a work permit is nothing new, Usually telling them it is not needed since you are retired or other good reason is enough. I have three different bank accounts here and each time I opened the account I was asked for a work permit. Pointed out I was on a Non O visa for retirement got the account opened,

Edited by pmarlin
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Visited Standard Chartered's main Sathorn Branch today near the Chong Nonsi BTS station.

They have a couple of very helpful English speaking reps who sit at desks #21 and #22 beyond the main teller counter there.

According to the rep I spoke with today, they're fine to open new accounts for those with retirement visas or retirement extensions of stay, and no hassle about work permits. They just want your passport and a copy of some type of utility bill in your name showing your Thailand address.

I should add, I'm an American, and earlier this year, Standard Chartered asked their American account holders to supply their Social Security and related info for compliance with the U.S. FATCA reporting requirements. If an American was starting entirely new with Standard Chartered, they'd probably be required to submit that information/documentation as well.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know a bank (any) in Bangkok that lets you open a joint account? Tried to do this with the gf yesterday at BKK Bank and Krungsi at Central Bangna and was told I needed a WP for both.

If your gf is a Thai then try opening a joint account at the bank she already banks with. SCB should allow you to do it.

I got one years ago with the gf at SCB and when they asked for a work permit I just told them and insisted on the internet it says don't need one, keep on insisting and they might relent. But it's all a bit hit and miss in Thailand, one bank will let you open a joint or individual account, another bank won't, one bank will exchange you USD and another bank won't. That's Thailand I'm afraid.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are an American big brother has now found you. I am on a retirement extension and have two fixed deposit accounts at Siam Commercial Bank. Yesterday I wanted to open a savings acccount to be used for the interest on the fixed deposits. Required was a copy of my passport, a marriage certificate, and filling out a US government form giving my address and social security number. I fill out the annual form for deposits of $10,000 or more by listing all my foreign bank accounts. I even include the interest earned on these accounts on my annual 1040 filing. I do not see how the IRS can possibly have the manpower to pursue this current adventure.

We went to Kasikorn Bank in Phuket last week and showed them our passports with the retirement visa in it and we had an account 1 hour later. This is our second Thai bank account. The lady was very sweet and spoke wonderful English. It is easier to open an account in Thailand than Australia. Transferring money however is a different story. They are happy when you deposit it, but if you want to transfer it off shore they make it hard.

• 4 weeks later...

So I am married to a Thai national but I only get 30 day stamps because of work commitments at home.

I have rented an apartment in Thai for a year now so all good with the Thai address isue and have a marriage cert but can I open a Thai account with only that?

I do not have a (non-O) or any other type of visa.

We went to Kasikorn Bank in Phuket last week and showed them our passports with the retirement visa in it and we had an account 1 hour later. This is our second Thai bank account. The lady was very sweet and spoke wonderful English. It is easier to open an account in Thailand than Australia. Transferring money however is a different story. They are happy when you deposit it, but if you want to transfer it off shore they make it hard.

go and read my posting fri.1st.as we already have 3accs.with them me and mrs meat wanted to invest our interest from fixed accs.in their 3yr.savings accs.max.600,000bht each 16,500bht each every month.if you read the posts you will find out what happened next at land and house bank.

Recently opened an account with UOB Thailand. Required docs for foreigner: passport, work permit and proof of foreign (country of passport?) address. Proof of foreign address includes international license, utility bill, bank statement, ID card with residential address (other than passport), etc., and is necessary for foreign or non-taxable status to the US, according to them. First time for me to be required it.

• 2 weeks later...