Cat Cdma Download Interruptions

nikster

CAT CDMA used to work great for a pretty long time, but for the last 2 weeks or so I keep getting mini interruptions. These are so short that you wouldn't neccessarily notice them - except if you download.

Symptoms: Download a larger file. Goes very fast, until about 10MB or 20MB or 40MB, then it stops completely.

I wonder if I am the only one seeing this - if not then it would have to do either with my modem, or the local tower.

I am, for example, unable to download the VMWare Fusion update. I bought the software, so I want to download it from the official site. But the package is 180MB and their servers have a security feature which doesn't allow one to continue a download. Once the connection breaks off, you have to start over again. I tried about 20 times, but never got more than 40MB...

Anyone else noticed this?

I have not noticed this, but will try out some performance tests.

You local machine may be at fault, I would try and find a solution that involves ruling it out as the problem.

Also try another browser.

It could be the equipment in the tower, -have you contacted CAT's support folks?

CAT CDMA used to work great for a pretty long time, but for the last 2 weeks or so I keep getting mini interruptions. These are so short that you wouldn't neccessarily notice them - except if you download.

Symptoms: Download a larger file. Goes very fast, until about 10MB or 20MB or 40MB, then it stops completely.

I wonder if I am the only one seeing this - if not then it would have to do either with my modem, or the local tower.

I am, for example, unable to download the VMWare Fusion update. I bought the software, so I want to download it from the official site. But the package is 180MB and their servers have a security feature which doesn't allow one to continue a download. Once the connection breaks off, you have to start over again. I tried about 20 times, but never got more than 40MB...

Hi, not sure if this will help, ive just been downloading a lot of software ( large files ) using my ASUS N10J running Windows XP and my MC727 USB modem , I use an application called .. Internet Download manager ( IDM ) and never had a problem with a large files.

http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/

just done a Tv speed test and it seems ok. :o

post-37178-1240836413_thumb.jpg

I get this a lot with ToT.  Most downloads with a download manager can restart, but if its a site that requires a serial numbered download like virtualbox sometime does or won't support restart then the interuption means you have to start over.  My cut out can last from 1 to 2 min sometimes several times a hour on weekdays.  The fastest way to get reconnected is to keep opening anything google until the connection starts working again.  With AIS the problem was real bad local as the towers are space A for data and heavy load of calls gets you bumped, but with ToT I think its just overloaded routers, and only more equipment is going to solve it.

I have had that. Quite often with for example youtube videos. But then again I have had the MC727 only for couple of weeks and thought that it has been some of my settings.

Yes! I forgot to mention that. Any longer YouTube video will stream in at 70KB/s and then suddenly stop halfway through. So I am not the only one! Thanks! The fact that you have a different modem (I have the CCU-680) makes this more likely a network issue. Are you using Mac or Windows?

Just checked, not using OpenDNS.

Will try on a different computer. I have a spare WinXP laptop. Currently using a CCU-680 on the Mac.

@RKASA - well my TOT line is so bad that it's disconnected more than it's connected. But that's another story...:o

@ThaiLife: I have a download manager, it's just for those websites that have added protection so that the d/l manager won't work. Example, VMWare, and iPhone development kit (which is > 1GB, and doesn't work with a d/l manager, I usually have to wait for the torrent).

I've not had CAT for long and last week Cat techs installed an antenna and I'm very happy with it overall.

I was able to watch Utube videos in real time with no stops for buffering for a few days, not now though. Video starts to play but will not complete. The only way that I can watch it is by downloading it to my PC. I use

http://download.cnet.com/YouTube-Downloade....html?tag=mncol

When downloading files with my download manager, everything is going fine and then it stops completely for a short time, so the same as OP. Not a problem unless there is no resume support from the download site.

When doing a Thaivisa speedtest the ball does not run smoothly across the bottom of the screen, it jerks and sometimes will stop completely and refuse to budge and I have to refresh the browser.

Guessing that we do not all come from the same area and experiencing the same problems it must be a nationwide thing.

I've also noticed that speeds drop quite dramatically at 3AM, you'd think that this would be the best time as fewer people online, but it's most definitely not. Maybe this is when they shut down part of the system for maintenance?

The best time seems to be 7 or 8 oclock in the morning, so maybe you'd be lucky with your download at that time.

This is typical, I heard nearly nothing but good things about CAT, but as soon as I subscribe the service gets worse. Mind you it's still a helluva lot better than my old Ipstar connection.

When I first got the CDMA EVDO, I was VERY impressed. It has deteriorated over the last couple of months and is now a piece of shit that reminds me of Ipstar. It disconnects, stalls and is slow most of the time. Talking to the service people irritated me even more. They just shrugged and said that sometimes it is good and sometimes it is bad. The service seems to be just like the rest of the government services, non existent.

Yes! I forgot to mention that. Any longer YouTube video will stream in at 70KB/s and then suddenly stop halfway through. So I am not the only one! Thanks! The fact that you have a different modem (I have the CCU-680) makes this more likely a network issue. Are you using Mac or Windows?

I'm using WLAN router (running openwrt-linux) which is connected to the usb-modem. The computers are running Linux. Pretty different system overall :D

-Pekka

Yeah that should rule the crappy Mac drivers out as a source of the problem :o

CAT service has been pretty good around here, no complaints...

Thanks for the responses, I'll have a chat with CAT customer service, and will show the problem to the local CAT guys, let's see what they say.

Did you had a chat with them? At least my connection experiences constant cuts at the moment. At least international connection (ssh/irc) seems to break very often.

I am in the process. Reported to the CAT service phone two times, and demoed to local technician once. He had no idea and professed the theory that my modem might be running too hot on a long download. Tested out at home with a huge fan blowing on the modem, determined that that's not the problem.

I'll try again, maybe I catch the chief tech. Trying to find a simple test case. Last time I demoed it with a 2GB download, and the tech was a bit shocked I'd download such a big file ... :)

This is an off topic question, but I'm curious as to what you consider "very fast". I'm thinking about getting CAT to replace my EDGE connection. I currently get about 5k/s with DTAC and 9k/s (sometimes spikes up to 20k/s) with AIS when downloading files.

If its faster than those I'll definatly jump on it. Although I like to game online (EVE being my MMO of choice, which is almost beareble on EDGE) its not a issue for me for an occasional dropped connection when downloading as I use bittorrent for that (slow on EDGE, but everything is resumable).

And speaking of BT, you can most likely find your updates on torrent sites... if not, PM me. I have access to a few private trackers that specialize in 'enterprise apps'. :)

Edited by FarangLaoInter

This is an off topic question, but I'm curious as to what you consider "very fast". I'm thinking about getting CAT to replace my EDGE connection. I currently get about 5k/s with DTAC and 9k/s (sometimes spikes up to 20k/s) with AIS when downloading files.

If its faster than those I'll definatly jump on it. Although I like to game online (EVE being my MMO of choice, which is almost beareble on EDGE) its not a issue for me for an occasional dropped connection when downloading as I use bittorrent for that (slow on EDGE, but everything is resumable).

And speaking of BT, you can most likely find your updates on torrent sites... if not, PM me. I have access to a few private trackers that specialize in 'enterprise apps'. :)

I currently get about 5k/s with DTAC and 9k/s (sometimes spikes up to 20k/s)

What exactly does that mean kilobits or kilobytes?

Assuming kilobytes that means you are getting 40kbps , 72kbps and sometimes 160kbps.

I would think that you would probably do better than that with CAT EV-DO

I've not had CAT long and had to have an antenna fitted, so total; cost with the modem about 13,000 Baht to set up. 790 Baht per month plus tax

Last week I was getting average speed of around 1mbps, but is now down to about 600Kbps.

More people are discovering CAT and I hope that they will increase the available bandwidth accordingly

By fast I mean anything over 100KB/s (1000Kbit / sec). Usually no problem with CAT CDMA, though it does depend on where you are, there are some spots where it's a lot slower. Samui and Phuket for example.

Yea I was refering to KB/s, sorry about that. 100KB/s would be great. Anything over 40KB/s would be great! :) At least that way it wouldn't take me 20hrs to d/l anything over 200MB (I test various OS's, so my d/l's tend to be large).

I'm sure location would probably be an issue, as i'm way out in the sticks, AND down in a valley... Look as though I'll be contacting CAT this comming monday.

Thx for the info!

ive topped at 190k/s download on torrents and 65k/s upload with CAT evdo.

but regular download just crash midway 100% of the time

Yeah I have seen similar maximum speeds. That's KB/s not Kbit, mind you. Ev-DO Rev. A could theoretically do 3Mbit/s down but CAT promises only 1.4Mbit down.

However, the interruptions make it pretty useless at the moment.

CAT customer service can be reached at 1322, then type 1 - 2 - 0 at the various prompts. Please call them and complain.

Update: Called CAT again, this time the service told me they have sent the problem report to the technicians but have not received an answer.

So if you see this, please call in at 1322, and report that your download is interrupted after about 5 minutes or 20 - 30MB (that's what I am seeing after testing this about 500 times :) ).

If we get many reports from all over Thailand together, they'll maybe see the pattern.

I have reported to them that this happened to me in Chiang Mai as well as in Pai, so it should be obvious that it's not a problem with a particular base station, but rather a network thing. But these things are very hard to debug so I figure the more reports they get the better. Also the more reports they get, the more serious they'll take it.

It's not a reception problem, I don't think. I demoed the issue to the guys in the CAT head office in Pai, which is pretty close to the antenna... also people with the other modem have the same issue, so it's not an issue with either the CCU-680 or the Mac drivers....

was able to successfully demo the issue to the chief technician in Pai. he's a cool guy - he got it. demoed nice download interruptions for him on their own thinkpad using my CDMA modem as well, just to rule out it's something on my machine. he promised to look into it by wednesday (tomorrow's a holiday). so if nothing else at least i have somebody to bother about this.

CAT is supposed to call today..... but I bet they are not going to be able to resolve today and then they all have to take the day off tues...

I have been having this issue for awhile, I think I started the first thread on this matter.

Anyway, it seems to have mostly cleared up for me. I still get some hanging downloads from websites, and youtube, but the newsgroups are running smoothly.

I never called CAT, but I did install some software named Internet Connection Keeper, and it seems to help. Basically, it queries websites every minute to try and keep your connection alive.

Yeah, anything where you have a "continue" option on downloads - such as download managers - will work. It will get interrupted, then reconnect, and it's all OK

The problem is just with protected downloads where that doesn't work, and with services that we like to use, like VPN. Impact on a normal web-surfing person wouldn't be too bad. The VPN interruptions are killing me though.

Get the new HUAWEI ec226 Modem I'm on it right now AND I MAY NOT PUNT TONIGHT!

Just noticed there is some Windows Virus on my CDMA modem now. So the CAT laptops are full of viruses and spyware. Great.

PS: The virus was on the Flash disk that's integrated into the CCU-680. I knew as soon as I saw the autorun.inf file that wasn't there before I gave the modem to CAT to test... sigh.