Street Grilled Fish - Rarely Seen

hermespan

Of course there are storage problems (should be on ice) and maybe Thais aren't really big on Atkin's diet slabs of 100% fish, but I have yet to see the following, as extracted from a non Thai-Visa forum on Bangkok...

"Last night I headed to a wide boulevard between the Siam and Pratunam districts, where a series of vendors had set up sidewalk tables offering huge, perfectly grilled fish for 120 baht (about five bucks). That’s a fortune by street-food standards but these are some big fish."

Instead, I see rather pricey seafood at set-up-the-folding-chairs-within-earshot-of-the-street outdoor aiffairs off Silom that serve decent grilled and steamed shellfish and fish at night only. Then there are the upscale fresh out of the tank seafood palaces of Chinese-Thai food. But I have as yet to find any affordable fish on a stick in the same way I can easily find sticky rice and eggs near Panthip Plaza, or noodle soup on Sukhumvit. I am not looking for sit-down luxury service, just very basic fish bits on bamboo skewers that I can walk away with. Maybe I have to move on to Kota Kinabalu in Borneo!

What I usually end up doing in Bangkok is going to a supermarket and buying grilled Saba (makerel?)