Soi Skaew Beach Is Dying....

junki3korean

In a recent trip back to Pattaya, I stayed in a friends room in Soi Skaew beach....I couldn`t believe how dead it is now...

I remember 2005 it was so busy Accomodating alot of European tourists, it has dropped to the point I hardly see any...it was song kran I expected it to be way busier......

Its sad theres no more business :o

What will happen.....

In a recent trip back to Pattaya, I stayed in a friends room in Soi Skaew beach....I couldn`t believe how dead it is now...

I remember 2005 it was so busy Accomodating alot of European tourists, it has dropped to the point I hardly see any...it was song kran I expected it to be way busier......

What will happen.....

Who cares. the less tourists, the better it is for the expats that live in Thailand.

Barry

where is soi skaew beach?Is it the name for the beach along beach road?

Just on the other side of Soi 10 on Second road.....Soi Skaew Beach has alot off guest houses and a Hotel Name Skaew Beach...

Used to be filled with euros.....I MEAN FILLED!!

where is soi skaew beach?Is it the name for the beach along beach road?

Just on the other side of Soi 10 on Second road.....Soi Skaew Beach has alot off guest houses and a Hotel Name Skaew Beach...

Used to be filled with euros.....I MEAN FILLED!!

I'm confused,so your talking of a hotel of that name,not a beach per se?Have been told pattaya is dead right now,but so too is Samui,staff are being laid off etc,there just are n't any tourists here right now.On top of all this now there's the flu crisis to stop people traveling unless essential.

What will happen.....

When you saw it busy that was the exception, If I ever had a mental picture of soi skaew beach then dead would fit it nicely. :D

I have spelt the name wrong , actually is Skaw Beach. There is no beach there though :o

4664610.jpg

Hummmmmm:

1) Crazy visa rules running off low to middle income tourists (really need to stop that 15 day thing)

2) Crazy visa rules running off expats (no security)

3) Crazy visa rules making a non problem (long stay tourists) into a "problem" (perpetual tourists)

4) Crazy business rules discouraging small scale foreign investment

5) Crazy banking rules (.e.,g charging 150 baht per transaction at an ATM machine for foreign accounts)

6) TOXIN'S crazy economic decisions catching up to the country (it normally takes years for decisions made at the top to impact the country as a whole.....that is normal.........and Thailand is paying the price now)

7) Global economic downturn because those in power, worldwide, failed to act in the interest of the masses......globalization has failed, centralization has failed.......not doing enough to curb the human population (maybe the swine flu will take care of that).....not doing anything to create a new energy system for the 21st century

8) Xenophobia rising and nobody stopping it

9) Real estate hounds convincing those in power that Pattaya can become Monaco (totally nuts!)

10) Tourists being shot to death in their seaside beach chairs (rare, yes, but it has happened)

11) Reds vs Yellows in the streets

12) Chasing off presidents of foreign countries with demonstrations

13) International airport closure

Lucky 13. What do you expect? This will be a low season like no other.

ok i got it,its the bottom end of 2nd road before going to jomtien

No, it's the soi before the Made in Thailand market heading towards Pattaya Klang on number 2 road, very close to Central actually, opposite side of the road of course.

I lived in that Soi many years ago, I was there when it was 3 feet underwater whenever there was heavy rain, now they have raised the road level. :D

Memories..... :o

Yes, just a few weeks ago I was thinking about how dead Soi Skaew Beach had become. It is the Soi on 2nd Road before Soi Honey.

I think the main problem was they shut down the big bar beer complex at the end of the Soi which was a direct short cut onto Soi Bukhaw. Many times I would walk back and forth through Soi Skaew Beach, so I was passing trade.

I used to go to some of the cafes and bars on the Soi and I only ever heard good reports from people staying at the Skaew Beach hotel (reasonable rates). Now it is very quiet down there which is a pity, but that is the story of Pattaya: Continuous changes.

14) Potential tourists seeking information online stumble across Thai Visa and are immediately put off by all the negative posts from unhappy expats.

Forgot that one. :o There are a lot of expats who are upset at what has happened to the country over the past decade. But, in terms of first time tourists, the images on TV are likely having a greater impact along with the decline in the global economy.

I have an idea.......lets use ThaiVisa to promote tourism.........ignore all of the negative things that are happening.........focus on anything positive we can find......and if we can't find it, just make things up. That might bring them in.

But, what will they think of us after they realize there is a great divide between myth and reality? :D

ok i got it,its the bottom end of 2nd road before going to jomtien

No, it's the soi before the Made in Thailand market heading towards Pattaya Klang on number 2 road, very close to Central actually, opposite side of the road of course.

I lived in that Soi many years ago, I was there when it was 3 feet underwater whenever there was heavy rain, now they have raised the road level. :D

Memories..... :o

ok gotcha,its a hotel not a beach!used to live in pattaya 2 years ago near carrefour,bad memory should know where it is but obviously never went there.Its going to be a tough year for everyone i think.

I think JR Texas got it right with each of his points.

I love Thailand and spend my winters there. And, I'll continue to do so for as long as I can, but when I now mention Thailand to people in Canada they all say the same thing... "I'd never go there because of all the problems I read about in the papers". Thailand now has a terrible reputation.

EVERYONE in ALL the ruling parties shot Thailand in the private parts with all the stupid stuff that went on this past winter. Once you get a bad reputation it is 10 times as difficult to get the tourist's confidence back. Add that to the terrible global economy and the results are obvious.

What will happen.....

When you saw it busy that was the exception, If I ever had a mental picture of soi skaew beach then dead would fit it nicely. :D

I'd agree with that. Had a TGF in one of the bars opposite the hotel, and I always wondered how they got enough customers to survive.

This Soi in all its years of existence? has probably had one? maybe 2 good years, people talk as if it has been a going concern for years, its just another greedy Soi in Pattaya with no class and a lot of greedy owners who made no effort to promote sustainable tourists! :o Som nom Na

This is where the AA meetings are held - so obviously they have been a success :)

Interesting point, but the Soi has lost more than just bars, the place really had died.

As I said in a previous post, I am sure that this is due to the back passage being blocked, which allowed easy access from Soi Buckhaw.

the Soi is opposite Siam Bayview hotel

some business's like Tong Bar & Guesthouse have been there a long time, and are actually expanding. They now rent the unit next door as well, mainly for the rooms upstairs.

Other business's fold the same year, it seems to be a fickle SOI !