Yamaha Fino Accident - Help And Advice Please.

ahernsv

My girlfriend fell off a friends Yamaha Fino. She got away with a few cuts and bruises and the Motorbike had a few scratches and scraps. The owner of the bike has given me a hand written receipt saying the repairs costs 5000 baht which seems excessive. How do I go about confirming the price is correct ?

For instance, does anyone know where I can find the prices for spare part replacement for the motorbikes. ?

Also, any other advise on the situation appreaciated...

i knocked a guy (motorbike taxi, and it really wasn't my fault) off his Yamaha last year. we sat on the curb and i apologized for driving a bit silly and for not seeing him come up on my left hand side (while i was trying to pull over to park). his front fender was scraped up, two turn signal lenses were cracked and a number of other scruffs on the side of the bike from front to back. i told him i would fix his bike up and let's head over to a shop and see what it's gonna cost. mechanic came up with a price of 2500baht. i said 2000 (because it wasn't all my fault that this idiot tried to overtake me on the left while i'm trying to pull over to the left) and everyone was happy with the deal. i was shocked at how cheap all the different parts and pieces were. i assumed 2000baht was a deal and i didn't mind it so much. i also assume he took the 2000baht and walked away, but who knows, maybe he used it to fix the bike up, i dunno.

anyway, if you've cracked any pieces that need to be replaced, without seeing the damage i would say 5000 might be a bit high, but then again, in reality, it's not a ton of money for banging up this person's bike.

fwiw, this also happened to me a few months ago:

Image006.jpg

i picked up the bike and drove away after all the particulars were in place. i never bothered to fix the bike and it rides just fine...

Edited by anothertorres

How do I go about confirming the price is correct ?

For instance, does anyone know where I can find the prices for spare part replacement for the motorbikes. ?

What an odd question- why can't you or the gf go ask for a quote at any Yamaha scooter shop? :o

How do I go about confirming the price is correct ?

What an odd question- why can't you or the gf go ask for a quote at any Yamaha scooter shop? :o

i agree

5000 baht, pay it and get on with your life.

She screwed up.. You didnt check before the work.. A cheap lesson learnt.. Pay the 5k and be done with it..

And depending on how badly it was damaged 5k may or may not be reasonable.. Just a front and side panel using genuine yamaha bits on my missus'es rentals runs about 1000 and 1400 for the panels IIRC.. Then they need stickers (another 350) and fitting.. Theres 3k if only those are scratched.. Replace a grip, or a footpeg, or a grab bar, or a seat, or some other issues and its easy to have a 5k bill. It does sound a bit high but I doubt your overpaying more than a grand or two..

Considering she crashed someone elses bike you dont have much of a leg to stand on. Pay and smile.