Mysterious Complaints

Something I posted awhile back on another forum, but still very topical in terms of teaching in Thailand:

I and many other teachers have had problems with the following type of situation at many schools in Bangkok.

Here are the symptoms:

1. A lower level staff member will be delegated to come to you one day out of the blue, and tell you that there are "problems in the class."

You: Oh, really- what kind of problems?

Staff: The students in class X are not happy.

You: What's the matter?

Staff: Some of them don't understand.

You: What is it they don't understand?

Staff: I'm not sure.

You: Ok, so is it just one or two students?

Staff: Oh, no, it's many of them.

You: Well, here are their grades on my homework and tests so far. They're doing fine!

Staff: Well, we have to solve this problem.

You: How can I find out more about the problem?

Staff: I don't know.

2. After this bizarre exchange, it's normally suggested by the Thai staff that you speak with the class. This results in getting a mix of responses, but quite often the class will not seem to know there is a problem at all- or if there is one, it's one that's clearly not under your control (not enough class time or no textbooks) and they understand this. Or the problem will be something that seems clearly unrelated to whatever the Thai staff vaguely hinted to you about.

3. The next parents meeting that follows this weirdness, you will find that ONE outspoken, arrogant parent will launch some kind of attack on your class or subject on behalf of a student who has a good grade and who has never complained.

4. At this point, one realizes that the staff who spoke to you was being passed incomplete information, probably by her boss, who was spoken to by the ONE parent, for reasons which will remain unclear.

Now, here's the question: what the heck can/should a teacher do in this kind of situation? It seems like one parent is sometimes enough to get a teacher canned- a subject worth discussion and derision in itself- but what should the poor teacher do next?

1. Ask the student directly what the heck does he/she want?

2. Make a cosmetic change that pre-empts the next attack?

3. Ask the boss who sent the staff member to you for more information?

4. Smile and promise you'll take care of it but make no actual changes?

Furthermore, is there any way to short-ciruit this inefficient process and get some real information about what/who the problem is before waiting to be publicly criticized by someone you didn't even know you were displeasing? Advice? Does this type of situation seem familiar?

"Steven"

That’s just Thai jumped up office staff with nothing better to do that try and make you lose face.

It most often happens when one or two students are unhappy with you for whatever reason (giving them bad marks in an exam they didn’t study for is a good example) and they approach that certain ‘staff’ member who knows everything about teaching of course and that person will relish at the chance to belittle you.

If the whole class were upset you as a competent teacher would realize this and rectify the problem.

Don’t ever listen to the ‘staff’ – if the situation warrants it that complaint would come from the DOS.

Edited by Sexy Beast

Well, I discussed some problems similar to this one on another thread, but not exactly the same.

But I'm almost positive that this will come up soon, because I just passed out their first tests where many of the students did not do well. Nevermind, that I taught the material and drilled it in class with participation, games, and workbooks; or that I gave them all a review the day before the test of the exact material and answers on the test; Or that I gave huge hints on the oral part of the test for all of them; or the fact that half of the 50+ kids do not listen in class, or during the review, even after repeated admonitions. It doesn't matter, because when they get the test scores that they deserve, it's going to all be my fault.

But there are kids that did quite well: the kids that listen and do their workbooks, and the cheaters sitting near them :o

Well, naturally I wish a method could address this, but it falls into to the YOU vs THEM..and that is the way the parents see it.. They pay excellent fees, for exellent teachers, and want excellent students..speaking Excellen English, but .. we all know the rock does not yield water. Listen to the parents..... :o transmit. .because they will not and are not ready to listen.. having dealt with parents it is truly.. and no brainer.. smile and say we shall do our best..

Remember it is a game , and they change the rules.. to win..

BEST wishes..