Thai Hotels Step Up Discounts And Promotion Packages

george

Thai hotels step up discounts and promotion packages

BANGKOK: -- Hotels at all major tourist destinations are advertising deep discounts and adding more packages to fill rooms after the latest political turbulence caused many travellers to skip Thailand.

"Many hotels have already extended their promotions introduced some months after the closing of the two airports in Bangkok late last year," Thai Hotel Association president Prakit Chinamourphong said yesterday.

Occupancy is heading down to 30 per cent this month - half of the 60-per-cent rate seen last April, he said.

Niramon Makornpruttipong, regional manager for administration and member-support services at Best Western International, said the hotel chain was offering 20-40-per-cent discounts at all of its properties in the Kingdom for the rest of the year.

Like other players, Best Western is also throwing in more amenities.

Erawan Group president and CEO Kasama Punyagupta said the impact of the recent riots was like that of the airport blockades last year.

"Hotels have been running 50-60-per-cent full, which is 10-15 percentage points off last year's level," he said. "Over the next four weeks, this most recent political unrest will no doubt put pressure on hotels' occupancy rates in a similar pattern as to what happened after the airport closures."

The recently opened Le Meridien Chiang Mai is reportedly cutting room rates more than 50 per cent in order to draw tourists.

The Le Meridien Khao Lak Beach & Spa Resort is selling a holiday package to locals and expat residents for Bt2,199 net per room per night.

The deal includes daily breakfast for two, a 20-per-cent discount on food, 30-per-cent off of spa treatments and 20-per-cent less for airport transfers. This offer also comes with various stimulating recreational activities.

The Ambassador Hotel Bangkok is offering three nights of accommodation for the cost of two until October, while the Zeavola Resort on Krabi's Koh Phi Phi is offering a complimentary choice of a 60-minute massage for one or two persons per stay until June.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) yesterday announced a new campaign called "12 months, 7 Stars, 9 Suns" to boost domestic tourism all year round.

TAT chairman Weerasak Kowsurat said the TAT's board was reviewing if it would change the advertising agency for foreign markets from McCann, as well as the marketing theme. He said some foreign tour operators had stopped selling packages to Thailand.

To allay possible concerns over the recent swine-flu scare in Mexico, 21 TAT offices worldwide have issued a statement on Thailand's precautionary measures, using this opportunity to buff up the Kingdom's tourism image.

Today, Tourism Minister Chumpol Silapa-archa will present a tourism rescue package that includes insurance coverage for foreign tourists and preventive measures against the flu.

Following the Songkran riots, 29 countries and territories issued travel alerts for Thailand. Only three - France, Italy and Hong Kong - have downgraded their warnings.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-04-28

Follow the Breaking News here:

--> Download our News Ticker Toolbar for IE and Firefox: http://toolbar.thaivisa.com

--> Subscribe to our Breaking Newsletter: http://www.thaivisa.com/353.0.html

--> Follow us: Breaking News on Twitter: http://twitter.com/georgebkk

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"12 months, 7 Stars, 9 Suns - Any details of exactly what this campaign will involve?

Thailand is in a serious slump at the moment and future does not look good, most of the world is suffering due to financial restraints, money is tight and people are not spending their savings. Top this lot off with the unrest in LOS over the last ten months you can't see it getting any better.

As always, articles quoted from the Thai press are notorious unreliable and Thai journalists have no trouble twisting facts or reporting according the wishes of the political masters of the moment.

We have a government who is constantly using a crystal ball, looking there is easier than making policy. If there is already a cause that there are less travellers it is because of the airport occupation and the fact that bookings made by tourists were simply paid for till the end of the high season which has no ended.

Fresh bookings have not replaced the old stock fully. Secondly, air travel worldwide is down this year so far with 15% because of the recession. Almost all countries are hit by dwindling visitors. The political upheaval and the mismanagement of it by the government who loved the sound of guns instead of bringing in riot police will absolutely have an effect, but this cannot be measured yet.

The hotelbranche however is good in extorting taxpayers money from the government. After the airport occupation the Abhisit government decided to pay their interest on loans (how silly) and since government help always taste good, hoteliers see another great opportunity to ask for a bailout.

Just let the market do the job, the big hotels are underpaying their staff for a very long time, so it is much better for the government to help these poor people instead of the fat cat Indian and Chinese who own most properties anyhow.

As always, articles quoted from the Thai press are notorious unreliable and Thai journalists have no trouble twisting facts or reporting according the wishes of the political masters of the moment.

We have a government who is constantly using a crystal ball, looking there is easier than making policy. If there is already a cause that there are less travellers it is because of the airport occupation and the fact that bookings made by tourists were simply paid for till the end of the high season which has no ended.

Fresh bookings have not replaced the old stock fully. Secondly, air travel worldwide is down this year so far with 15% because of the recession. Almost all countries are hit by dwindling visitors. The political upheaval and the mismanagement of it by the government who loved the sound of guns instead of bringing in riot police will absolutely have an effect, but this cannot be measured yet.

The hotelbranche however is good in extorting taxpayers money from the government. After the airport occupation the Abhisit government decided to pay their interest on loans (how silly) and since government help always taste good, hoteliers see another great opportunity to ask for a bailout.

Just let the market do the job, the big hotels are underpaying their staff for a very long time, so it is much better for the government to help these poor people instead of the fat cat Indian and Chinese who own most properties anyhow.

Excelent, at least we will have a good holiday.

cheap and enjoyable

Underpaying? Have you run a hotel or business in Thailand? Do you know why the staff ratio in Thailand is 1:4 or 5 compared to western businesses? Before you come with statements like this, look into hard facts of average attendance, loyalty and punctuality of Thai workers. There is a very good reason why salaries are what they are in Thailand..................

Excellent and true. Thank you

BANGKOK: -- Hotels at all major tourist destinations are advertising deep discounts and adding more packages to fill rooms after the latest political turbulence caused many travellers to skip Thailand.

"Many hotels have already extended their promotions introduced some months after the closing of the two airports in Bangkok late last year," Thai Hotel Association president Prakit Chinamourphong said yesterday.

--> Download our News Ticker Toolbar for IE and Firefox: http://toolbar.thaivisa.com

And once again Thailand is trying to fool the tourists, this country should enter into the Guiness World Record book for the number of misleading or totally fake advertisings. I just checked Le Meridien Chiang Mai and I cant find a room at the rate of 2.199 / night... Well I am not even surprised about it...

As far as the 20 % discount on airport transfers (while we all know the transfers offered by hotels are OUTRAGEOUSLY HIGH), is that a joke ???

Finally after evaluation of the "special discounts" (surely farang discounts like u get in every litle shop), I can conclude tourism is going very well in Thailand since most of businesses think they still have time (or reserves left) to fool the customers...

Good luck to you !

And once again Thailand is trying to fool the tourists, this country should enter into the Guiness World Record book for the number of misleading or totally fake advertisings. I just checked Le Meridien Chiang Mai and I cant find a room at the rate of 2.199 / night... Well I am not even surprised about it...

As far as the 20 % discount on airport transfers (while we all know the transfers offered by hotels are OUTRAGEOUSLY HIGH), is that a joke ???

Finally after evaluation of the "special discounts" (surely farang discounts like u get in every litle shop), I can conclude tourism is going very well in Thailand since most of businesses think they still have time (or reserves left) to fool the customers...

Good luck to you !

The Le Meridien Khao Lak Beach & Spa Resort is selling a holiday package to locals and expat residents for Bt2,199 net per room per night

Le Meridien Khao Lak Beach & Spa Resort located in Khao Lak launches PHANG NGA RETREAT special at Baht 2,199 Net per room per night with breakfast buffet for two, 20% discount for a round trip limousine airport – hotel transfer, 30% discount for spa treatments. Offer is exclusive to Thai residents only and valid until 31 October 2008. Guests can book direct and call tel. 076 427 500 or email [email protected].

What to say....?

If the TAT were serious about bringing tourists to Thailand then surely asking the airlines to reduce their prices would be a good start, they could supplement them for any loss they would make.

I usually travel twice a year to LOS but with the baht running at 50 / £1 it doesn't exactly make it cheap anymore.

Vietnam here I come....

Ahh well I can't afford to stay at places like le meridian even with the discounts, but it would be nice to have a bit of money off the the mid range hotels.

On a recent trip to Koh Tao many locals were complaining that visitor numbers were well down on a year ago and have been gradually declining for a few years.

From the people that I've spoken to back in the UK there is a genuine fear of polictical instability, I still get people telling me to be careful because of a Tsanami even though I'm no where near the Andaman coast. I can understand peoples concerns about the political situation, after all 3/4 days stuck in an airport terminal is a big slice out of a 2 week package holiday. Add to this the poor pound to baht exchange rate!!!

Thailand really needs to offer some big incentives if its going to bring back people in significant numbers, Thailand will always attract backpackers, but the tourists that bring the real money in are the two week package tours, and they in my opinion are the most likely to be put off coming here. There still seem to be new hotels and resorts are still springing up all over the shop in the tourist resorts just who do they think will fill them up?!

I predict some very dark economic times ahead for the Thai Tourism sector :o

May as well allow the Banks to throw EXTRA SERVICE CHARGES on Foreign Cash Withdrawals..

Never do I cease to be surprised by the behavior here .

AMAZING THAILAND

Yet another stealth tax imposed on us...150 baht to make an ATM withdrawal from my UK account + what the bank in the UK will charge. I guess someone has to bail out the Thai economy. Why pick on me?

From a related report also in Thailand's Comedy Newspaper today . . .

Among the wonders showcased by "12 Months, 7 Stars, 9 Suns" are herds of wild deer in Khao Yai in May; the swarming prawns of Ubon Ratchathani in August . . .

and thanks to Ubon Ratchathani's swarming prawns . . .

The new campaign will run during the low season period June to September - and is expected to bring a 5 percent growth in tourist revenues this year.

Google "12 Months, 7 Stars, 9 Suns" and you'll see the TAT still need to work on PR as the only two results are these two reports in The Nation today.

Ahh well I can't afford to stay at places like le meridian even with the discounts, but it would be nice to have a bit of money off the the mid range hotels.

On a recent trip to Koh Tao many locals were complaining that visitor numbers were well down on a year ago and have been gradually declining for a few years.

From the people that I've spoken to back in the UK there is a genuine fear of polictical instability, I still get people telling me to be careful because of a Tsanami even though I'm no where near the Andaman coast. I can understand peoples concerns about the political situation, after all 3/4 days stuck in an airport terminal is a big slice out of a 2 week package holiday. Add to this the poor pound to baht exchange rate!!!

Thailand really needs to offer some big incentives if its going to bring back people in significant numbers, Thailand will always attract backpackers, but the tourists that bring the real money in are the two week package tours, and they in my opinion are the most likely to be put off coming here. There still seem to be new hotels and resorts are still springing up all over the shop in the tourist resorts just who do they think will fill them up?!

I predict some very dark economic times ahead for the Thai Tourism sector :o

They could fill them with Thai people if they brought the prices of the rooms down. The TAT informed me that Thai people can't afford to stay in a lot of these touristy resorts as they are too expensive. This was their reasoning for charging foreigners that work and pay tax in Thailand a tourist rate while Thai's pay a fraction of that or get into places free. I think they were going for a swings and roundabouts approach...? Anyhow, I was told that Thai people cannot go to these places that I (apparently) can afford to visit.

So, TAT, make entrance fees to places equal for all and bring down the price of accommodation. Problem solved.

Edited by frogz

May as well allow the Banks to throw EXTRA SERVICE CHARGES on Foreign Cash Withdrawals..

Never do I cease to be surprised by the behavior here .

AMAZING THAILAND

Yet another stealth tax imposed on us...150 baht to make an ATM withdrawal from my UK account + what the bank in the UK will charge. I guess someone has to bail out the Thai economy. Why pick on me?

You have to be kidding me. If you are worried about a 150 baht bank charge that allows you to withdraw money from your home country while on vacation you shouldn't be on vacation. I am sure you spend hundreds of baht if not thousands on drinks each and every day and yet you complain about a 150 baht charge. I would have to say the bank in your home country are bigger thieves than the Thai banks here. I know for certain that my bank back in Canada charges me more on just about every single bank ATM transaction than is typically charged here. I can withdraw money from almost any bank's ATM (not my bank's ATM) without a fee unless I am outside of Bangkok. Try that in your home country. I can take out up to 20,000 baht from my home country account and only pay 150 baht. Seems like a deal to me. You obviously just like to complain. Next time you order a drink at the expensive hotel make sure and complain to them how awful they are in making a profit. Remember you can get it from 7-11 for less than 40 baht rather than the 300 or more you are paying them. Who are the real crooks?

Seriously the Thai Bank ATM fees are exceptionally cheap.

Good luck to you !

The Le Meridien Khao Lak Beach & Spa Resort is selling a holiday package to locals and expat residents for Bt2,199 net per room per night

Le Meridien Khao Lak Beach & Spa Resort located in Khao Lak launches PHANG NGA RETREAT special at Baht 2,199 Net per room per night with breakfast buffet for two, 20% discount for a round trip limousine airport – hotel transfer, 30% discount for spa treatments. Offer is exclusive to Thai residents only and valid until 31 October 2008. Guests can book direct and call tel. 076 427 500 or email [email protected].

What to say....?

Okay.. :D I'm lost...Let me get this straight... Thailand is in a tourist slump.. they want more tourists to visit Thailand...Soooo. they offer and exclusive discount to Thai residents only.. and it's valid until 31 October 2008 ... does this make any sense to anybody else?? :o

"12 months, 7 Stars, 9 Suns - Any details of exactly what this campaign will involve?

I don't know, but it sounds like something for Full Moon Party promotions..... "12 months, 7 Stars, 9 Suns, 2 LSD's" :o

great TAT campaign slogan... they never seem to run out.

Anyway, if someone knows any explanation would be nice.

Seriously the Thai Bank ATM fees are exceptionally cheap.

Seriously, THEY ARE NOT. GBP 3.00, CAN$ 5.50, US$ 4.50 is not 'exceptionally cheap'. Another idiot newbie view "It is only $5 so it is cheap". No. In Thailand they pay 25 Baht for a bank transaction, they pay 25 Baht for a meal and they tip 20 baht in Thai restaurants.