Thai Hotels Step Up Discounts And Promotion Packages

george

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay.. :D I'm lost...Let me get this straight... Thailand is in a tourist slump.. they want more tourists to visit Thailand...Soooo. they offer and exclusive discount to Thai residents only.. and it's valid until 31 October 2008 ... does this make any sense to anybody else?? :o

the confusion is all a part of their trippy new promotion...

"12 months, 7 Stars, 9 Suns, 2 LSD's" :D

great TAT campaign slogan...

Edited by sriracha john

As always, articles quoted from the Thai press are notorious unreliable and Thai journalists have no trouble twisting facts or reporting according the wishes of the political masters of the moment.

We have a government who is constantly using a crystal ball, looking there is easier than making policy. If there is already a cause that there are less travellers it is because of the airport occupation and the fact that bookings made by tourists were simply paid for till the end of the high season which has no ended.

Fresh bookings have not replaced the old stock fully. Secondly, air travel worldwide is down this year so far with 15% because of the recession. Almost all countries are hit by dwindling visitors. The political upheaval and the mismanagement of it by the government who loved the sound of guns instead of bringing in riot police will absolutely have an effect, but this cannot be measured yet.

The hotelbranche however is good in extorting taxpayers money from the government. After the airport occupation the Abhisit government decided to pay their interest on loans (how silly) and since government help always taste good, hoteliers see another great opportunity to ask for a bailout.

Just let the market do the job, the big hotels are underpaying their staff for a very long time, so it is much better for the government to help these poor people instead of the fat cat Indian and Chinese who own most properties anyhow.

well all i can say in reply to this post is you have no idea whatsoever what you are on about -- and no idea about the operations involved in hotel operations and the associated costs involved in running properties - guess you would be happy if they all cut back on staffing like they did when the SARS outbreak occured - sending 1000's of thai staff into forced unpaid holidays or worse -- even now some hotels are laying off some staff - the most recent employees - this includes foreign staff who help boost the quality of service standards here - training local staff - i can speak with authority with regards to the hotel and tourism industry having spend most of my life in this industry and having worked with TAT for over 5 years - the remainder here in thai in training -- teaching in this field -- and Chinese and Indian fat cats -- really -- think u will find that most of the 4-5 star hotels here are infact owned and operated by overseas companies - But the fact is that the quality of the hotels here is one of the main reasons that Thailand has a well earned reputation in providing world class accommodation thanks to the dedication of local and expat staff -- the salaries paid here are comperable to overseas wages -- and you seldom hear staff complaining about this - considering the other benefits provided to them by the hotels concerned --

Just let the market do the job, the big hotels are underpaying their staff for a very long time, so it is much better for the government to help these poor people instead of the fat cat Indian and Chinese who own most properties anyhow.

Underpaying? Have you run a hotel or business in Thailand? Do you know why the staff ratio in Thailand is 1:4 or 5 compared to western businesses? Before you come with statements like this, look into hard facts of average attendance, loyalty and punctuality of Thai workers. There is a very good reason why salaries are what they are in Thailand..................

I have no idea why a Thai receptionist or cashier, (with prior experience), at a 4 star hotel in Hua Hin commanding room rates of 2,500 bt per night and upwards (50 GBP), earns 5,000 baht per month (100 GBP), whereas similar hotels in Europe and US, for example Holiday Inn chain would pay at the very least 50,000 baht per month (!,000 GBP). Why don't you tell us..?!! :o

spending thousands of baht each weekend, just on restaurants and other things... now struggeling for my visa extention because my wife's tax papers superisingly need a stamp since one month... my visa extention demand being cancelled because we got 2 working days to provide the stamp proof to immigration, while it takes more than one day to get the stamp and my wife has a fulltime job and cannot just drop everything ...

i would say... good thailand... i'm sure you will scare of some more people spending money here

maybe they can import the swine flue.. make it attractive to come here

It's classic Thai mish-mash - the illusion of giving with one hand and then taking with the other. No concerted effort just a load of platitudes by TAT and the govt to give the illusion someone is doing something.

Regardless of the amount I think it is outrageous that the banks think it's OK to place this charge. Every time someone goes to an ATM with a foreign card, they are injecting a little more money into the Thai economy - do we get a "thank you"? - NO! - just a 150 baht charge - scandalous!

As always, articles quoted from the Thai press are notorious unreliable and Thai journalists have no trouble twisting facts or reporting according the wishes of the political masters of the moment.

We have a government who is constantly using a crystal ball, looking there is easier than making policy. If there is already a cause that there are less travellers it is because of the airport occupation and the fact that bookings made by tourists were simply paid for till the end of the high season which has no ended.

Fresh bookings have not replaced the old stock fully. Secondly, air travel worldwide is down this year so far with 15% because of the recession. Almost all countries are hit by dwindling visitors. The political upheaval and the mismanagement of it by the government who loved the sound of guns instead of bringing in riot police will absolutely have an effect, but this cannot be measured yet.

The hotelbranche however is good in extorting taxpayers money from the government. After the airport occupation the Abhisit government decided to pay their interest on loans (how silly) and since government help always taste good, hoteliers see another great opportunity to ask for a bailout.

well all i can say in reply to this post is you have no idea whatsoever what you are on about -- and no idea about the operations involved in hotel operations and the associated costs involved in running properties - guess you would be happy if they all cut back on staffing like they did when the SARS outbreak occured - sending 1000's of thai staff into forced unpaid holidays or worse -- even now some hotels are laying off some staff - the most recent employees - this includes foreign staff who help boost the quality of service standards here - training local staff - i can speak with authority with regards to the hotel and tourism industry having spend most of my life in this industry and having worked with TAT for over 5 years - the remainder here in thai in training -- teaching in this field -- and Chinese and Indian fat cats -- really -- think u will find that most of the 4-5 star hotels here are infact owned and operated by overseas companies - But the fact is that the quality of the hotels here is one of the main reasons that Thailand has a well earned reputation in providing world class accommodation thanks to the dedication of local and expat staff -- the salaries paid here are comperable to overseas wages -- and you seldom hear staff complaining about this - considering the other benefits provided to them by the hotels concerned --

May as well allow the Banks to throw EXTRA SERVICE CHARGES on Foreign Cash Withdrawals..

Never do I cease to be surprised by the behavior here .

AMAZING THAILAND

Yet another stealth tax imposed on us...150 baht to make an ATM withdrawal from my UK account + what the bank in the UK will charge. I guess someone has to bail out the Thai economy. Why pick on me?

You have to be kidding me. If you are worried about a 150 baht bank charge that allows you to withdraw money from your home country while on vacation you shouldn't be on vacation. I am sure you spend hundreds of baht if not thousands on drinks each and every day and yet you complain about a 150 baht charge. I would have to say the bank in your home country are bigger thieves than the Thai banks here. I know for certain that my bank back in Canada charges me more on just about every single bank ATM transaction than is typically charged here. I can withdraw money from almost any bank's ATM (not my bank's ATM) without a fee unless I am outside of Bangkok. Try that in your home country. I can take out up to 20,000 baht from my home country account and only pay 150 baht. Seems like a deal to me. You obviously just like to complain. Next time you order a drink at the expensive hotel make sure and complain to them how awful they are in making a profit. Remember you can get it from 7-11 for less than 40 baht rather than the 300 or more you are paying them. Who are the real crooks?

Seriously the Thai Bank ATM fees are exceptionally cheap.

You pay the 150 ON TOP of all the other charges!

one of the reasons for using an ATM is that you don't have to carryu loads of cash, and it's quicker than TT's.

If you use your card every day for 2 weeks that puts over 2000 baht on the cost of your stay. - in some places that's 4 nights' hotel rooms.

"comperable to overseas wages -- and you seldom hear staff complaining about this - considering the other benefits provided to them by the hotels concerned..." ?????????!!

Claptrap

I have friends and family (on my wife's side) who work in a number of hotels in Hua Hin.

I have no idea why a Thai receptionist or cashier, (with prior experience), at a 4 star hotel in Hua Hin commanding room rates of 2,500 bt per night and upwards (50 GBP), earns 5,000 baht per month (100 GBP), whereas similar hotels in Europe and US, for example Holiday Inn chain would pay at the very least 50,000 baht per month (!,000 GBP). Why don't you tell us..?!!

I heard from someone in the know at a big Bangkok 5* hotel that the figures are a LOT worse than those stated above... :o

Hi TopDogger,

They are. I will try and pull the latest stats from the actual properties in the Greater BKK area. (don't trust the THA or TAT stats...)

May as well allow the Banks to throw EXTRA SERVICE CHARGES on Foreign Cash Withdrawals..

AMAZING THAILAND

Yet another stealth tax imposed on us...150 baht to make an ATM withdrawal from my UK account + what the bank in the UK will charge. I guess someone has to bail out the Thai economy. Why pick on me?

You have to be kidding me. If you are worried about a 150 baht bank charge that allows you to withdraw money from your home country while on vacation you shouldn't be on vacation. I am sure you spend hundreds of baht if not thousands on drinks each and every day and yet you complain about a 150 baht charge. I would have to say the bank in your home country are bigger thieves than the Thai banks here. I know for certain that my bank back in Canada charges me more on just about every single bank ATM transaction than is typically charged here. I can withdraw money from almost any bank's ATM (not my bank's ATM) without a fee unless I am outside of Bangkok. Try that in your home country. I can take out up to 20,000 baht from my home country account and only pay 150 baht. Seems like a deal to me. You obviously just like to complain. Next time you order a drink at the expensive hotel make sure and complain to them how awful they are in making a profit. Remember you can get it from 7-11 for less than 40 baht rather than the 300 or more you are paying them. Who are the real crooks?

one of the reasons for using an ATM is that you don't have to carryu loads of cash, and it's quicker than TT's.

If you use your card every day for 2 weeks that puts over 2000 baht on the cost of your stay. - in some places that's 4 nights' hotel rooms.

Consider you likely can manage to open a Thai bankaccount and you just move money in one go and after that its free...

Take what you need and when going back, leave the rest for next visit.

Just ask and you very likely will find a place giving it to you...

"comperable to overseas wages -- and you seldom hear staff complaining about this - considering the other benefits provided to them by the hotels concerned..." ?????????!!

Claptrap

I have friends and family (on my wife's side) who work in a number of hotels in Hua Hin.

I have no idea why a Thai receptionist or cashier, (with prior experience), at a 4 star hotel in Hua Hin commanding room rates of 2,500 bt per night and upwards (50 GBP), earns 5,000 baht per month (100 GBP), whereas similar hotels in Europe and US, for example Holiday Inn chain would pay at the very least 50,000 baht per month (!,000 GBP). Why don't you tell us..?!!

another one with no idea !!!!--- how can u quote salaries here and compare them those paid in europe or the Uk and with english pounds - come on get real -- but if u dont know i think it just might have something to do with the cost of living in thai compared to england which on my last visit there was bloody expensive - even a packet of crumpets at tesco was about 150 bt = the only ones who earn high salaries here are the expat experts -- they are paid high salaries to attract them here to work in the first place -- so forget about comparing apples with apples - try apples with bananas --- and if she is getting only 5,000 a month perhaps she should look elsewhere -- if she can find work that is in a hotel -- maybe time she opened a noodle shop -=- but i am sure she is quite happy working in a respected profession and comfortable surrounding - everytime a positon is advertised in a hotel there is a flood of applicants = so it cant be all that bad na

Underpaying? Have you run a hotel or business in Thailand? Do you know why the staff ratio in Thailand is 1:4 or 5 compared to western businesses? Before you come with statements like this, look into hard facts of average attendance, loyalty and punctuality of Thai workers. There is a very good reason why salaries are what they are in Thailand..................

Hahaha -- and who do you think is to blame for that !? Not those Thai workers as NOBODY ever educated them about attendance, loyalty and punctuality ! And that's the fault of the government ! But do they care ? NO WAY ! the're only interested in filling their own pockets... And this is a problem that NEVER will be resolved in this beautiful country ! What a shame....

AMAZING THAILAND

I think in any business a company is allowed to make a profit. You even point out they are providing you with the convenience of easy access to your money which happens to be in another country so you don't have to worry about losing it. Sounds like a good service. I guess according to you this service should be free. Mind you I doubt you would like to have to pay for travelers checks, or hunt for a money changer to exchange them (ATMs are open 24/7 and are everywhere) or your time to go to the bank and pick them up. According to you these things should be provided free. Obviously you don't own a business and never will.

Why in the world would I be using my ATM card every day. When I know my Canadian bank is going to charge me 150 baht and the Thai bank will charge me 150 baht to get money? Are you telling me you take out only a few 1000 baht each time? I would simply withdraw the maximum amount that I can to save on the service charges. Otherwise I would use a credit card to pay for bigger ticket items. I must say when I consider all the expenses of traveling this 150 baht seems so trivial for what they provide.

In Canada if I withdraw money from my account from any bank's ATM other than the one I have the account with I will pay fees of at least $3. So the idea of paying $5 to withdraw money when I am on vacation is relatively cheap in my mind.

wages are cheap as there is more supply than demand. millions of burmese poor into thailand and soak up all the bottom end jobs leaving even more thai labour for jobs like hotel work. i am no socialist but thai employers have a utopia here for hiring labour. problems with attendance and time keeping? ... most have sytems in place to make sure that workers come in time or they deduct fines. Loyalty? you don't get loyalty when you pay peanuts... there is a massive disparity of income in thailand....you can't just say that thai labour deserve the peanuts they get.. that sort of stuff led to the red shirts... there is social injustice in this country which is the basis of unrest which can only get worse....but i agree, it isn't an easy issue to resolve.

Claptrap

another one with no idea !!!!--- how can u quote salaries here and compare them those paid in europe or the Uk and with english pounds - come on get real -- but if u dont know i think it just might have something to do with the cost of living in thai compared to england which on my last visit there was bloody expensive - even a packet of crumpets at tesco was about 150 bt = the only ones who earn high salaries here are the expat experts -- they are paid high salaries to attract them here to work in the first place -- so forget about comparing apples with apples - try apples with bananas --- and if she is getting only 5,000 a month perhaps she should look elsewhere -- if she can find work that is in a hotel -- maybe time she opened a noodle shop -=- but i am sure she is quite happy working in a respected profession and comfortable surrounding - everytime a positon is advertised in a hotel there is a flood of applicants = so it cant be all that bad na

Haa bloody Haa..!!

On your first point, prices here in Tescos are not unsimilar to prices in Tescos Uk. In fact here two litres of cow's milk is 80 baht (1 pound 60 pence) in the Uk two litres will set you back 75 pence at the most in tesco's. The price of household cleaner's, baby formula milk, potatoes, broccolli and even rice (god forbid!) are all on a par with UK prices. Women's cosmetics here are also no cheaper than those in the UK. - so what of your bananas and apples?!

I was in London last may and crumpets do not cost 3 pounds they cost 58 pence. The only thing cheaper here of any validity is rent. And you should try sharing a sh*thole with your mates for any length of time..!!

My wife's sister is over-qualified for her job educationally and also with alot of experience managing in property agencies and massage parlours. She neither has the funds, nor would like to take the risk of starting her own business (which in the current climate would almost certainly fail). Of course she realises that she is in a dead end job but then of course she is not the only one. Who can blame the multitude of young women in a similar position for believing that their only hope of a good life is to find a good boyfriend or husband.

A much weaker Baht would bring tourists back in their droves and all the houses and condominiums that are being built and remain unsold would sell!! Obvious really.

completely agree! i don't think it's nothing to do with the fact we had a few people running round with sticks in bkk! it's like that in most area's of the uk anyways for gods sake! it's all to do with the baht being so strong, i had all the family over for my wedding not to o long ago and they could'nt beleive how exspensive it was they were telling me they heard everything was so cheap here, so i explained it is nothing has changed pricewise its just because the baht is so strong and the pound is weak, of course their reply was well why should we come half way round the world on a 14hr flight with screaming children when it's just as cheap on a 3hr flight to spain or the canary islands? to which i had no answer, also my mum and dad came for 2months travelling around and spent more money than travelling round europe for 3 months last year!

Okay.. :D I'm lost...Let me get this straight... Thailand is in a tourist slump.. they want more tourists to visit Thailand...Soooo. they offer and exclusive discount to Thai residents only.. and it's valid until 31 October 2008 ... does this make any sense to anybody else?? :o

Expecting hand outs is an unfortunate part of Thai culture. It's really demeaning to Thai's actually for people to say, well Thai's are different they can't afford these rates but foreigners can. It creates a mentality of helplessness, inferiority and expecting Farangs to carry the financial weight. Many have seen this from our Thai relatives all the way up to the highest levels of the government. Blame the Farang, charge the Farang double and complain when the Farang doesn't show up for more.

My wife is Laos and I don't know if this is common but all my in laws have pride and never will ask me for hand outs and definitely don't have this weird sense that they are entitled to one. They like to show they are self sufficient just as I do. I really admire them and always try to help them anyway BECAUSE they never ask. It's very refreshing.

Edited by wasabi

There's another point to keep in mind in regard to 'deep discounts' offered by Thai hotels.

Hotels in many other countries (also hit by the global economic downturn) are also offering deep discounts.

One example: My regular 4 star hotel in Shanghai has gone from US$180 a night down to US$43 a night.

Lowering hotel rates in Thailand is obviously needed to try to get people here, but it will take a lot more than just hotel rates.

Does anyone know what the goal of TAT at this point in time? Are they looking to preserve tourism numbers or looking to grow tourist numbers? Are they looking to gather return visitors or are they looking to target a new market? Are TAT looking to protect or "streamline"the industry to become more competitive on the international stage against its neighbors in the Phillipines, Malaysia and China?

These questions (and others too) would determine which would be a 'best course of action' for the Thai Tourism industry. Different types of visitors would respond to different offers (e.g. tour groups would not respond so much to the idea of cheaper accommodation, but would respond to a better exchange rate, whereas a mid range traveller may respond better to cheaper accommodation).

Take for example my country, New Zealand. In the past year our currency has devalued against the baht from a high in July last year of 27b to the dollar to 20 where it sits now, with the low hitting last month at 17. That is a considerable devaluation of 10b per New Zealand Dollar spent, or a 37% drop in buying power for every New Zealand dollar spent in Thailand. This effectively means, a New Zealander can only enjoy 63% of the luxuries that s/he could last year before the crunch. Effectively, TAT would need to either pre-empt the move back towards last year’s buying power by discounting products and services in Thailand to stimulate purchasing of goods and services within Thailand by tourists, or simply wait for the crunch to pass and let it be 'survival of the fittest', with the strongest businesses coming out leaner and meaner than before (yes, that means your mom and pop hotels would not be as common as before, and services in the bigger hotels may suffer).

There is also the fact that the Thai government appears to be making constant attempts to stop many people’s ability (not our right) to reside in Th in the long term, and to work legally which I have heard a few of my good friends complain about.

Combine this with political instability, and foreigners seeing terrorist type scenarios of people in Yellow shirts blocking access to air ports in major tourist hubs with vehicles and attacking Police officers with force, and people in Red Shirts threatening to blow up petrol tankers if the state advances on them, and you have a recipe for something worse than a hangover and more painful than the spiciest tom yum kung the morning after.

I sincerely love Thailand (for the right reasons) and will be returning in June. I will be living more thrifty than I normally would, but simply have to watch my expenses a little better than normal (no more falling asleep on foot paths in Udon Thani after a good night out with my Thai friends at the Karaoke Bar singing to Baowee etc). Yes, I had lots and lots of beers in Udon Thani, where beers are still 40b in the bar.

Edited by TheGhostWithin

There's another point to keep in mind in regard to 'deep discounts' offered by Thai hotels.

Hotels in many other countries (also hit by the global economic downturn) are also offering deep discounts.

One example: My regular 4 star hotel in Shanghai has gone from US$180 a night down to US$43 a night.

Lowering hotel rates in Thailand is obviously needed to try to get people here, but it will take a lot more than just hotel rates.

i.e. put a "3 month permission to stay" stamp on arrival into your passport, as Malaysia does... and get rid off these crazy visa restrictions.

Give the "backpackers" 30 or 40 days when arriving at a "land border". They will tell their rich parents back home how bad they were treated with 15days only!!!

Edited by webfact

I would like to comment on this 150 baht ATM charge.

Personally i think its an annoying but very bearable charge. One poster put it well when he said (summing up in my own words here ) people don't mind spending thousands of baht a night on overpriced drinks but begrudge paying ANYTHING on an ATM charge . If the charge were 50 baht you would all still be whingeing. Its the fact that you don't want to pay anything at all thats the issue , not the 150 baht.

However a possible solution to minimise this is if you stop taking trivial amounts out and take one whacking lump out , then surely the 150 baht becomes trivial?

Part of the problem , and it applies here in the UK especially i've noticed, is that people walk around with almost nothing on them in cash. For Christs sake why?

In the UK, I always have a couple of hundred pounds in my wallet and feel naked if that drops to below 50. In Thailand i usually think between 10-20, 000 baht is about right , never letting it drop below this .So when i take money from a ATM its usually about 100,000 worth so a 150 baht charge , whilst annoying in principle , is nothing at all. But if you are amounst those who go to the ATM 25 times a week and take out 200 baht (just like the thousands who queue in the UK at ATM's for 10 minutes to withdraw a tenner and then do the same thing the next day) then i think you are overcomplicating your lives and costing yourselves unneccessarily.

Part of the problems in this modern day life is that people have been brought up to rely on credit / debit cards and lazily don't carry cash. I am the opposite , i carry cash , buy almost everything in cash , and whilst i have loads of credit cards i rarely use them even for big bills. I am driven to distraction queueing in a shop behind someone who buys £3 of goods and whips out the credit card . No wonder people have so many money problems.

To summarise ... my solution to getting round this 150 baht insignificant charge is ... carry loads of cash , withdraw rarely and in big amounts .

Problem solved ... No??

Does anyone know what the goal of TAT at this point in time?

The goal of the TAT is the same at this point in time as it is at any other point in time: preserve their own jobs, get as much gov't budget allocated to the TAT as is possible. Bringing actual tourists to Thailand is at best a tertiary concern.

I've said it on the forum before devalue the Baht by 25/30%.This will bring tourists back quickly forgetting the problems here.It will make imports more expensive but the average thai will not be affected as they do not buy imported goods.yes fuel will cost more but hey its the cheapest its been for a long while..They will be able to sell their goods/products abroad again and so will have a viable economy..BUT WHO WILL COME HERE IF THEY FIND OUT IF THEY GET THE SWINE FLU HERE THEY COULD DIE AS THEY DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH STOCK PIES OF THE ANTI VIRRAL DRUGS WHICH ARE PROVEN TO WORK!.Yes the States are ok, they don't care as they have not closed their borders with Mexico.Why because they do not want their trade affected...Why do I say there is not enough Anti virrals because I live in Chiang rai and have been to the hospital here this morning( Scribrin) asked if they have Tamiflu and they said no! I asaked if they could source it as I would like to keep some at home( family in mind) no cannot source it...So what will you do I asked? Well we have been told to refer patients to The thai 30 baht hospital but he also said he knew they had only very very limited supplies not enough for a pandemic!!!

So I would suspect that when Mr. Toxin said Bird Flu would not be a problem here as we have things under control then that did not include having tamiflu and relenza...So go check with your local hospital and ask if they have stocks? If they have'nt may be best to stay in bangkok, Pattaya or phuket where supplies can be quickly shipped in....

If anyone knows that I'am wrong please tell me..

best of luck to everyone.............

Yes let's forget the worldwide recession, the loss of jobs etc etc, let's all go to Thailand for a cheap holiday.

A lot of people cannot afford to come to Thailand however cheap, much as they would like to.

There are many of us will still come, regardless.

However, we are not going to be spending much here as long as the exchange rate is so high, and hotels and transport etc. remain high priced, regardless of what some govt. spokesman may say

Im going to BKK next week and there are no major discounts on hotels in central locations, other then the usual seasonal adjusted one, please you have the chance to prove me wrong on this one.

Flights with Thai airlines are 50% more expensive then Emirates which i dont usually mind paying as i hate stopping over, but the Thai airways flight was for 1 month only with a 100gbp fee to change the ticket, the Emirates one is 75GBP to change the ticket and is open for 12 months. Surely Thailands national carrier should be doing a loss leader to get us here people able to buy .....

As for a weak BHT selling property what do you want it at 80 to the dollar and 100 to the GBP, its still weak against the Euro, thats 400 million people with a strong currency. Property in Thailand and globally is the most overvalued asset there is, if you buy youre either extremely rich or extremely stupid.

Edited by sanmiguel