Large Taxis

One of my problems on arriving at the aiport is that I usually have three big bags, which won't fit in a standard taxi. I see that the system for getting a larger taxi at the public taxi desk is more institutionalised and expensive than it was in the past. Where a year or two ago it was possible to wait until a big taxi arrived and use the meter, the system for a while has been that you have to ask for a larger vehicle and pay off meter at a standard rate (I am not talking about limos - which is yet another option). I couldn't help noticing recently that the charge off meter to Bang Na has gone up from B400 late last year to B600 now (meter would be about B200). Sukhumvit is B700. If you know a taxi driver's mobile number it is possible to cut a better deal. Perhaps I am a meanie but this doesn't seem to mesh with stuff on other threads about deep discounts in response to the recession.

One of my problems on arriving at the aiport is that I usually have three big bags, which won't fit in a standard taxi. I see that the system for getting a larger taxi at the public taxi desk is more institutionalised and expensive than it was in the past. Where a year or two ago it was possible to wait until a big taxi arrived and use the meter, the system for a while has been that you have to ask for a larger vehicle and pay off meter at a standard rate (I am not talking about limos - which is yet another option). I couldn't help noticing recently that the charge off meter to Bang Na has gone up from B400 late last year to B600 now (meter would be about B200). Sukhumvit is B700. If you know a taxi driver's mobile number it is possible to cut a better deal. Perhaps I am a meanie but this doesn't seem to mesh with stuff on other threads about deep discounts in response to the recession.

Why not take an Airport Limousine Service? Unless you are a very frequent traveller the extra baht might be worth it. Alternatively pre-arrange a pick-up.

I think I am right in saying the rapid overhead light railway link to Bangkok begins in August 2009. Anyone?

Why not take an Airport Limousine Service? Unless you are a very frequent traveller the extra baht might be worth it. Alternatively pre-arrange a pick-up.

I think I am right in saying the rapid overhead light railway link to Bangkok begins in August 2009. Anyone?

I have my regular driver get me every time I come home, he waits for me in the terminal and takes the baggage trolly up to hi Isuzu SUV (plenty big). He has been doing so for 7 years. I pay him 500 Baht to take me home to Ram Intra area, he is worth every penny. Suggest you find a driver you like and trust and hold on to him, if it means paying a few baht above meter rate so be it the peace of mind is well worth it.

Edited by Sakeopete

Perhaps I am a meanie but this doesn't seem to mesh with stuff on other threads about deep discounts in response to the recession.

Why would taxi give a discount? They have fewer customers so now have to charge more to make the same income. Fewer sales = higher prices. But they will call them 'discounts' if you like. They could be charging 1,000 baht. :o

The simple answer re limousines is because they are even more expensive (some are real rip offs) and don't all have big boots (trunks) in any case. Usually the touts will try to sell you a mini van if you have a lot of luggage. You don't have to wait for the big taxi that I described above at the public desk and this is usually an estate car or 'people carrier'. My point was just about how the price has gone up rapidly so that this isn't as good a deal as it was. On the last couple of return journeys (i.e. hotel to airport) I have telephoned the driver I'd just used and got a cheaper price than I paid airport to hotel. The only problem is that there seems quite a high turnover of drivers year to year - so that numbers on business cards that I had no longer worked

Re Lopburi's discount point, what I am saying in my post is that instead of going down or staying the same, the price on these (non-meter) taxis seems to have gone up by about a third from last year.

Edited by citizen33

Perhaps I am a meanie but this doesn't seem to mesh with stuff on other threads about deep discounts in response to the recession.

Why would taxi give a discount? They have fewer customers so now have to charge more to make the same income. Fewer sales = higher prices. But they will call them 'discounts' if you like. They could be charging 1,000 baht. :o

Not necessarily true. For Pattaya and BKK based transport companies, most of us have a sufficient number of customers coming in, so our prices are able to stay fixed at a competitive rate. I cannot speak for individual drivers, but many of these guys are doing the same thing the meter taxis are, they are waiting in the airport arrival area, trying to give you a flat rate when they are slow. Of course most of these drivers, and meter taxis will shoot you a highball price, but you can easily find a driver for smaller money if you take the time to look.

The simple answer re limousines is because they are even more expensive (some are real rip offs) and don't all have big boots (trunks) in any case. Usually the touts will try to sell you a mini van if you have a lot of luggage. You don't have to wait for the big taxi that I described above at the public desk and this is usually an estate car or 'people carrier'. My point was just about how the price has gone up rapidly so that this isn't as good a deal as it was. On the last couple of return journeys (i.e. hotel to airport) I have telephoned the driver I'd just used and got a cheaper price than I paid airport to hotel. The only problem is that there seems quite a high turnover of drivers year to year - so that numbers on business cards that I had no longer worked

Re Lopburi's discount point, what I am saying in my post is that instead of going down or staying the same, the price on these (non-meter) taxis seems to have gone up by about a third from last year.

There are some companies out there, who have SUV's and minivans, and offer them at the same prices as their standard cars. Its just a matter of pre-arranging the pickups and specifying that you have a large amount of luggage. Transport companies all over BKK and Pattaya, run the rates pretty much the same. Find a company, that has larger vehicles, get a price, and then book them.