An Elephant Trip With A Difference.

rubik101

First of all, I have no financial connection to Patara apart from the money I spent there recently!

I have added a link to Trip Advisor to save me writing another rave review about the place, see for yourself.

If you live close to CM, have visitors or are just travelling there, then this is a must do day out.

It is not cheap but the trip is limited to a maximum of twelve people. You get your own elephant for the day, and I mean you get it! You get introduced, you clean it, inspect it, wash it, feed it and then ride it, bareback on it's neck, no pansy seats, through the jungle. Ninety minutes later you are at an idyillic waterfall where you swim with the elephants, no, actually they play with you. Then lunch and another ninety minutes back to the farm.

One of our group cried when she said goodbye to her elephant, so attached do you become in one short day.

To see these animals up close, feed them, ride them and communicate with them is a truly magical experience.

Don't miss it.

btw, ignore the first review in trip advisor, the plonker obviously has no idea what he was doing.

Patara Elephant farm

post-44097-1240914656_thumb.jpg

post-44097-1240914630_thumb.jpg

post-44097-1240914607_thumb.jpg

post-44097-1240914573_thumb.jpg

post-44097-1240914535_thumb.jpg

Magical beasties, aren't they! I worked with them for 15 years in UK (10 years as Head Elephant Honcho at John Aspinalls Port Lympne where I had a breeding group of 2 bulls & 6 cows) and they are what brought me to Thailand (contrary to popular belief :) ), all those moons ago! (I worked with Phairat Chaiyakham at the original Pattaya Elephant Village)

Can you please post exactly where the Patara Elephant Farm is, and costs? (And more pics!)

Oh and the Thai "ankus" or hook is fairly blunt but still capabale of breaking skin....... unfortunately it does happen. When your beastie is well enough trained you can get away with using something as simple as a ball point pen cap to direct the animal, because it's what it represents. Fortunately, with an animal that is as intelligent, and as easy to train as a dog, vocal commands and tone of voice work very well.

http://www.pataraelephantfarm.com

If you look on the website, all your questions will be answered! Apart from the price. As mentioned in the first post and by most of the reviews in Trip advisor, (you did look at Trip advisor I trust? The link is on the website.) it is not cheap but then with a max. of 12 guests and as many elephants and trainers to keep, the price of 5000 baht that we paid seemed very good value for such an intimate and powerful experience. I can't emaphasise how very different this trip is from the 'circus' type day trips you may well have been on already. The elephant is yours for the day. No chains, no clubs, no sticks, no footballs, no paintbrushes, no rolling logs, just bananas and a whole day of joy and fun! If you talk to the elephant, unbelievably, it will do what you ask! (you get the phrases printed on your arm but soon learn them) I'm a 58 year old airline pilot so it takes something a bit special to impress me. I was mightly impressed! Spending a day with the elephants will help Pat and his family to preserve these wonderful animals in the habitat where they belong, and that don't come cheap. Are you cheap?

It is 25 k SWest from Chiangmai. You will be picked up from downtown in an aircon luxury minibus. See the website for details. Talk or write to Pat, his English is excellent, and make a booking. Mention where you heard about it and tell him that Simon and Robin from Corfu sent you!