Retirement Extention

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I've had difficulty thinking of the right keywords to do a forum search.

I'm currently on a retirement 1 year extension that finishes at the end of May.

Because of the poor exchange rate for the UK pound, I was reluctant to transfer the money to top up my account to the 800,000. I figured that the money would do better staying invested (and i was right).

I had intended to return to the UK at the end of May and visit family etc and get a Non O with a view to applying for a new year extension.

Now because of my son's work commitments he will not be in the UK at the same time as me at the end of May, so a change of plans.

At the moment I have 350,000 Baht in my account at the Kasikorn. I've just sold some shares and can transfer the money out of my dealing account next week and post a swift form to the Nationwide Bank in the UK. This would probably mean that my Thai bank account will be credited about 2 weeks before I would need to apply for the extension renewal.

The full 800,000 Baht will not have been in my account for the necessary 3 months and I'm unable to prove an income.

Has anybody else been through this? I'm wondering if they will refuse the extension outright or will they maybe give me a 3 month under consideration stamp until the funds have been in the bank for 3 months.

I will have to make the application in Nong Khai.

thanks in advance for any advice.

You can always try, but I would assume it is very probable your application will be rejected. As you are near a border, you can easily start over, and for the first extension you only need the money to be seasoned TWO months. The question you should be asking now is if Nong Khai does the two step process, in other words, will they allow you to convert a 30 day stamp or tourist visa to an O in Thailand as the first step, and the extension as the second step. This is common in places like Pattaya and Bangkok. If not, you must get a new O outside Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

You can always try, but I would assume it is very probable your application will be rejected. As you are near a border, you can easily start over, and for the first extension you only need the money to be seasoned TWO months. The question you should be asking now is if Nong Khai does the two step process, in other words, will they allow you to convert a 30 day stamp or tourist visa to an O in Thailand as the first step, and the extension as the second step. This is common in places like Pattaya and Bangkok. If not, you must get a new O outside Thailand.

Any idea of the cost of this O visa in Thailand?

(sorry to divert a little)

Penkoprod

I have my 90 day report about 10 days before my extension expires, so I at least will be able to sound out the immigration.

Of course , I have the option to go to Vientaine and get a tourist visa, but would rather not do that. I will be visiting the Uk sometime this year, just not sure when, so a tourist visa would tide me over if necessary.

People who live in Pattaya have told me that they have continued to move money between friends accounts and got the extension with no problems without the money being in their accounts for the 3 months. Of course these are people who have at least 5 extensions under their belts and that's in Pattaya, not Nong Khai.

People who live in Pattaya have told me that they have continued to move money between friends accounts and got the extension with no problems without the money being in their accounts for the 3 months.

When??

Last year, Pattaya officially did not care about money seasoning for subsequent extensions (the day before OK!) but that changed late last year. Do you really have any reports THIS YEAR of people being allowed to get subsequent extensions with the 800K without the seasoning? Like you said, Pattaya ain't Nong Khai and Pattaya ain't what it used to be. Bite the bullet, Hello Laos!

It is called a change of visa status and costs 2000 baht. Then you have to pay 1900 baht for the extension.

So it costs less to do it that way, than to apply for a Non O-A in home country

Thanks for the info :o

You can also start this with a single entry O visa (not an O-A) obtained from any country that will give it to you. Should be possible in Penang with the proper documentation.

BTW, when doing the two step process, you MUST have at least 21 days left on your current permission to stay to do that. That is why a 15 day land stamp won't cut it.

You don't need any money in a Thai bank account for home country OA visa. If you obtain a multi entry it serves almost two full years.

True, but you also have to hassle with a criminal record report and health clearance form obtained in your home country not at a 100 baht clinic for the O-A.

The point was it is apple/orange. What some people save on not having the money in Thailand for two years would more than pay for the extra costs.

Especially if a young lady spots your bank book. :o

Edited by lopburi3

The point was it is apple/orange. What some people save on not having the money in Thailand for two years would more than pay for the extra costs.

Especially if a young lady spots your bank book. :o

Too true about 'any' yound lady....although over the past two years the £UK has depreciated against the baht by about 40% so you would have had to make a return on your investment of about 20% a year just to break even. Wish I have finished purchasing everything for the hous two years ago....

People who live in Pattaya have told me that they have continued to move money between friends accounts and got the extension with no problems without the money being in their accounts for the 3 months.

When??

Last year, Pattaya officially did not care about money seasoning for subsequent extensions (the day before OK!) but that changed late last year. Do you really have any reports THIS YEAR of people being allowed to get subsequent extensions with the 800K without the seasoning? Like you said, Pattaya ain't Nong Khai and Pattaya ain't what it used to be. Bite the bullet, Hello Laos!

Oh dear, sounds like some of my friends in Pattaya are going to have a few problems. One has to renew his at the same time as me and is just arranging to transfer the funds.

I know that I will not meet the requirements for the extension and that's why I asked if anybody had experience of not meeting the 3 month rule. I will check with Nong Khai immigration and if they say no way, I'll have to do the tourist visa run to Vientaine. Bite the bullet as you say. :o

I have my 90 day report about 10 days before my extension expires, so I at least will be able to sound out the immigration.

Of course , I have the option to go to Vientaine and get a tourist visa, but would rather not do that. I will be visiting the Uk sometime this year, just not sure when, so a tourist visa would tide me over if necessary.

People who live in Pattaya have told me that they have continued to move money between friends accounts and got the extension with no problems without the money being in their accounts for the 3 months. Of course these are people who have at least 5 extensions under their belts and that's in Pattaya, not Nong Khai.

From reports about Nong Khai immigration I doubt that they will do it. But ti's worth asking them.

You can get a single entry non-o in Vientiane without any problem because you are over 50. They do it all the time. A non-o would make it easy to get your extension again.

So it costs less to do it that way, than to apply for a Non O-A in home country

Not if you plan to travel........and factoring in that a multi entry Non Imm O-A is the equivalent of two one-year extensions, assuming a border run right before visa expiration.

Using the US figure of $175 for a multi entry Non Imm O-A, and 35 baht to the dollar:

Non Imm O-A:

1. Multi Entry Non Imm O-A: $175*35= 6125bt (allows multiple travels in year one).

2. Cost of multiple re-entry stamp for year two (after visa, but not permit to stay, has expired: 3800bt

Total: 9925bt

In-country extension:

1. Convert to Non Imm O: 2000bt

2. Two one-year extensions: 1900 +1900 = 3800bt

3. Two multipe re-entry permits: 3800 + 3800 = 7600bt

Total: 13,400bt

About a hundred bucks difference -- using only the mentioned itemization. But when you figure the added cost and time of medical and police checks for an O-A. Or the added cost of having to go to Immigration three times for the extension route, vice only once for the O-A (to get the re-entry permit), etc, etc ......... I would think convenience over cost difference would be the decision maker.

JimGant

You forgot to factor in the cost of a medical certificate for a non-oa and the police report. Plus costs to have documents notarized. If a mail in the cost for overnight mail to the consulate and back if you don't go in person. If you have to travel to get the visa then those costs also.

From reports about Nong Khai immigration I doubt that they will do it. But ti's worth asking them.

You can get a single entry non-o in Vientiane without any problem because you are over 50. They do it all the time. A non-o would make it easy to get your extension again.

Thanks Ubonjoe, now that IS good info, I didn't know that I could get a non O in Laos. Would save the additional hassle of getting an extension on a tourist Visa.

You forgot to factor in the cost of a medical certificate for a non-oa and the police report

Yeah I did:

But when you figure the added cost and time of medical and police checks for an O-A.

I even contrasted that off the cost of going to Immigration twice more than with an O-A.

Don't know where Penkoprod lives, i.e., how inconvenient it is to go to Immigration -- or if he's British and has to get his O-A in person in London vice via mail.... All kinds of costs here -- pro, con, and opportunity.

The tie breaker would seem to be ...... the cost of being inconvenienced the most.

.... retirement 1 year extension that finishes at the end of May.

.....350,000 Baht ..... 800,000 ....

ok....on behalf of my finnish friend, his english / thai is very limited and

now today he called me and told that pension / income which has been

65k / month, is changed to 80 000.

he has some savings, but not sure about 800k's, not my business.

is this true...

..and is it in cash or before tax ?

thanks in advance and i will tell him.

timi

Edited by timi2546

.... retirement 1 year extension that finishes at the end of May.

.....350,000 Baht ..... 800,000 ....

ok....on behalf of my finnish friend, his english / thai is very limited and

now today he called me and told that pension / income which has been

65k / month, is changed to 80 000.

he has some savings, but not sure about 800k's, not my business.

is this true...

..and is it in cash or before tax ?

thanks in advance and i will tell him.

timi

The requirement for an extension based on retirement is:

800,000 in a Thai bank account for 3 months prior to application

OR

an income of 65,000 a month (before tax)

OR

a combination of income and money in the bank, totaling 800,000.

Income from within Thailand must show tax records, income from abroad is proved by letter from his embassy.

..... finnish friend, .....

The requirement for an extension based on retirement is:

800,000 in a Thai bank account for 3 months prior to application

OR

an income of 65,000 a month (before tax)

OR

a combination of income and money in the bank, totaling 800,000.

Income from within Thailand must show tax records, income from abroad is proved by letter from his embassy.

thanks a lot !

i will inform him, so he doesnt have to

worry about things too much, like he usually does.

:D:D:D

:):D:D

• 3 weeks later...

When??

Oh dear, sounds like some of my friends in Pattaya are going to have a few problems. One has to renew his at the same time as me and is just arranging to transfer the funds.

I know that I will not meet the requirements for the extension and that's why I asked if anybody had experience of not meeting the 3 month rule. I will check with Nong Khai immigration and if they say no way, I'll have to do the tourist visa run to Vientaine. Bite the bullet as you say. :)

Just to update, my friend in Pattaya has just extended for another year, the full funds were not in the bank for 3 months and he had no problem. This was his 5th or 6th extension.

Normally they accept cash accounts (savings or fixed). You will have to ask as that would probably be determined on the bond (government?) stability and the position of the stars on the day you ask.