Syphilis Test Mandatory For Wp?

Despite the more or less important discussion going on here, it is still unclear whether a real test is now required or not.

I did mine (neg), paid 200 Baht for it.

My law office in BKK, which is taking care of muy WP told me, that now indeed a real test is required. True or not, I was sick of waiting and I've done it.

So can somebody summarize or clarify (for all newbie WP applicants), whether the test is now mandatory or not????

That would be very helpful!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds to me the issue is if the clinic will give the medical certificate without having a blood test or not. Certainly Thailand is one of the most lenient countries around as far as medical requirements for long term/work visas. From my experience, China requires a syphilis test once, but no HIV. Singapore requires yearly HIV test, but not syphilis.

TH

• 2 weeks later...

I found this thread simply because I just finished getting my blood taken for my WP medical check. I was surprised as this didn't happen last year. It is required now. And yes, it is new. Why is everyone only talking about the test being for syph? I'm mostly concerned about the thc in my veins.

I got a work permit a month ago and no syphillis or blood test was required. It depends which hospital or clinic you go, when you want a physician certificate. Last year for my previous work permit physical I went to the Police Hospital first. They wanted blood test, urine test, make an appointment with a psychiatrist etc. After 10 minutes I left. I went to Deja Hospital. After 10 minutes there I got the certificate for 150 baht. This year for my new work permit did the same.

My company sent me to Chulalongkorn Hospital for a full physical anyway. They checked for HIV, syphillis, Hep A,B,C, lung x-ray, urine, blood, blood sugar, EKG - I have paid about 1500baht for all. Spent there 8:30-11am for check ups and went back for the results a week later for 30 minutes. I work as Business Development Manager in a factory.

well, yes the new requirement now for new work permit is to have a syphilis test too. Its a mandatory i think coz i do already have a medical certificate submitted at the labour department but they said need that syphilis test too. so no choice went back to hospital for that test...result negative... :):D:D

I know of two teachers in my area that have already undertaken blood testing for syphillis to acquire their work permits. I know one other teacher that has been told that a syphillis test will be required. All three are getting new work permits rather than extending a previous one.

• 2 months later...

Now I can confirm that the syphillis test is a new requirement for a new work permit. I am changing jobs and got my standard medical certificate covering the 5 diseases (leprosy, TB, drug addiction/alcoholism, elephantiasis and insanity) after a nurse had confirmed I had none of them with a blood pressure test. I went along to the Department of Employment myself to learn of any problems from the horse's mouth, as I am fed up with getting garbled accounts from lawyers or HR people. They rejected my medical certificate and gave me a piece of paper in Thai describing the requirement to be confirmed free of stage 3 syphillis which I suppose is consistent with the requirement to check for insanity. However, a blood pressure test somehow won't do for this new requirement and you have to get a blood test, even though this might inadvertently detect stage 1 or 2 syphillis which are in fact allowed. No need to get a new medical certificate as they will accept the paper with the results of your syph test if it has the stamp and signature of the clinic and your name as in your passport on it.

Either the Employment Department has not bothered to inform hospitals and clinics of this new requirement or the latter have ignored the announcement. It is still not required for WP renewals which don't require a medical certificate.

The good news is that I will get a 2 year WP this time for an extra 3,000 baht in line with the new foreign labour law that came in last year. The officer confirmed that 2 year permits are only given to people working in large companies and is virtually automatic for public companies. Another new thing that came in last year is that you get your old WP back after they have cancelled it. Best to make sure to get it back as you may need it later for something, e.g. to apply for PR or something like that.

Edited by Arkady

I saw the medical certificate today that our lawyer is providing for my work permit and it shows the syphilis test on there, I am negative according to the certificate, the certificate was an eye opener for me as I am yet to even go for the medical, it appears my medical exam was done in my absence :D

on another note, remember the joke about the old couple at the Doctors, the dr said to the wife "i need a urine, sample, an excrement sample and a blood sample, and I will need a sperm sample from your husband", the wife was a bit deaf so she asked her husband what the Dr said, the husband replied "he said he wants a pair of your knickers"

:)