Visa for a dependant non-thai spouse

Apologies in advance for what may appear a repeated question...

I will be coming to Thailand in a few weeks to work. I will have a 3 month Non-Imm B, which will then be lengthened once my work permit is arranged...nothing unusual here...

However, what about my non-Thai dependant wife?

I understood she would simple obtain a Non Imm visa that is on same conditions as mine, maybe "O" category?

I have now received information that that is not possible until I have my work permit...ie. she will need to come in initially on a Tourist Visa and do a couple of runs, as my WP likely to take 2-3 months...

Can anyone clarify if this is the case? Or is my original understanding correct and she is "stapled" to my visa from the outset?

Any help greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers!

Hi,

my suggestion is to contact you local Thai embassy/consulate where you will get your Non-B visa for details.

The rules appear to be very 'fluent' at the moment and subject to interpretation of the officers issuing the visas.

If you have already an employment contract with a company in Thailand which will sponsor your workpermit, ask them to issue a letter to you to the effect that they will also sponsor your wife's stay in Thailand.

Regards

Rainer

I did this myself, albeit 11 years ago. The basic rules are unchanged. My wife my son and myself arrived on non-imm visas (2 different nationalities) While the application for the WP was under way, I had to do some explanation at the immigration, provide copies of the wedding certificate, which was issued in a third country. Everything clear, my wife got a handwritten remark in her passport that her stay is connected to mine. After the WP was granted just had to present all three passports annually and wife/sons visa was extented year by year following mine, theirs "O", mine "B". Got a warning, when our son was +17 "Next year your son no more, he will be 18 and need own visa"

• 2 weeks later...