Miss California's Gay Marriage Fuss

Tyke

Miss california's anti-gay marriage stance  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the question was inappropriate. Let's try to keep divisive topics like abortion and same-sex marriage out of beauty contests.
I agree completely. I don't know or pay much attention to that kind of thing. Are the questions pre-screened? If they're not, it was a cheap shot, bullsh*t question that she could never have answered adequately enough to appease both sides of this ridiculous subject. Jerked the rug right out from under the poor 19 year old girl. And the remarkes afterward...come on!! :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She will probably now be stripped of her Miss Cali title as well. Why? Morality issues. Semi-nud_e photos in her past that she did not disclose. She broke the rules of the Cali pageant. Also, doing a commercial attacking gay marriage rights is not the kind of thing Californians want to see in a role model. In fact, such political activism without the permission of the pageant is against the rules. The question could have been answered diplomatically and intelligently regardless of her political position, but she failed to do that. In a contest, you are judged and there are winners and losers. She is a loser.

Edited by Jingthing

1. For those guys who criticised Miss California for mouthing her opposition to gay marriage, I say that I would rather she gave us an honest answer than hide her views. I want my opponents (yes, opponents, not enemies) to shout their views from the rooftops, to be clear where they stand, as long as their views are not accompanied by violence. Only that way do we know how to counter their argument. Concealed prejudice is the worst form of opposition.

2. To those guys who say that she deserved to lose her chance to be Miss USA because she has gone on to take part in anti-gay marriage adverts etc, I say that is a red herring. What happened after the fact has nothing to do with answering the questions posed. We are not talking retrospective action here.

3. Finally, for those guys who criticised Miss California for her 'stupid, insensitive, divisive' answer or whatever words have been used, I ask what honest answer would be acceptable to you, given that she opposes gay marriage. I have not seen one yet.

I am gay and very pro gay marriage, by the way, but consider free speech, not only more important than gay marriage, but is a pre-requisite for it. Without it, we wouldn't get anyway with just reforms.

Thanks, Tyke, but your opinion and invitation notwithstanding, the position of this forum is not tolerant of bigotry or vocal support of its sponsors. As previously explained, this subforum is a place for gay members to relax, hang out, and let their hair down. There are plenty of places where homophobes can have their say; this is not one of them.

I'd say your post is a succinct wrapup of the paucity of the 'opposing' position, and as the opponents are not really allowed their say here, I'm closing the thread.