Miss California's Gay Marriage Fuss

Tyke

Miss california's anti-gay marriage stance  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know it's a bit late now, but I think it is still pertinent.

Do you think Miss California should have been criticised by one of the judges and some gay organisations for saying that she disagreed with gay marriage? Although it is arguable that she did, should she have lost the chance of becoming Miss USA because of her answer?

Beside your comment, I have also set up a questionnaire.

Edited by Tyke

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think Miss California should have been criticised by one of the judges and some gay organisations for saying that she disagreed with gay marriage? Although it is arguable that she did, should she have lost the chance of becoming Miss USA because of her answer?

not interested in voting but if she believes that who are you to criticise,just because you are gay.Everybody has a right to comment on any topic and if you disagree,UP TO YOU.

I think she was very honest and brave to answer the question and not worry about the pc brigade jumping on her.

I would have give her the title for her honesty,as not all people accept gays in the community,thats a fact.Maybe you would feel sick to see a hetro couple kissing or fondling in public,thats how i feel when i see 2 gays together.

She was just expressing her opinion.. If some people disagree that's their perogative.. Just as it is hers to state her views. If a Miss World contestant stated that she was in favour of gay marriage (just as controversial ) Would she have been castigated by the right wing Christian lot ? Probably... Having an opinion should not be treated as a crime... However airing that opinion in public may have been a bit of a social gaffe... There are lots of things I'm against.. but I've realised it's better to keep quiet these days..

Why do people get so bent (no pun intendeded) out of shape about this sort of thing.. Plenty of people think marriage should only be between a man and woman.. Likewise plenty of others thing same sex couples should be able live together too.. Why not call their partnership by another name and grant them the same rights as marriage. Maybe that would preserve the 'sanctity' of marriage for those who are offended by 'gays' and also give the gays the rights and legal backup they want. Or is that too simple...

"Quiet frankly, my Dear, I don't give a dam_n" (Clark Gable in Gone with the Wind) :)

The world has gone crazy with all these black rights movements and gay rights movements and muslim rights movements.Lets have a hetro movement and vote for our rights not to listen to minority protesting.Yes it would be wrong to do this,but nobody cares for us hetros, boohoo boohoo boohoo.

Yes it's kinda hard being part of a minority.. Being a straight, white, bloke with a good job and no debts I know how they feel.... :)

I was thinking of starting a campaign to protest about the lack of white people on the BBC.. Seems that as a group we are being under represented and I'm starting to feel second class.. :D

The world has gone crazy with all these black rights movements and gay rights movements and muslim rights movements.Lets have a hetro movement and vote for our rights not to listen to minority protesting.Yes it would be wrong to do this,but nobody cares for us hetros, boohoo boohoo boohoo.

Get used to it boys. Being straight, white, male and in the majority is no longer enough. You have to bring some benefits to the party. Scraping your knuckles and grunting at women doesn't cut it any more.

Yes it's kinda hard being part of a minority.. Being a straight, white, bloke with a good job and no debts I know how they feel.... :)

How would you know? Being a straight white bloke in a Caucasian dominated country would put you in the top ~47% of the male population yet you feel hard done by enough to come and whine in a sub-forum set up specifically for gay folks. How sad is that?

What is it with straight white men that they have to bleat like sheep when a small minority ask for the same rights that they (the straight white men) have enjoyed throughout history? We're not depriving you of anything. We're not taking away any of your rights or privileges. We'd just like to have those same rights and privileges that you enjoy. What are you scared of? Do you think you'll be somehow diminished if you're expected to take your place alongside the rest of humanity?

Edited by endure

I always thought the contestants were not the brightest lights in the city anyway and her response and subsequent justification proof this point. Don't get me wrong, whilst I think she is terribly mis-guided, I do think she has the right to broadcast her ignorance and self-serving agenda. Equally, if she was castigated, ridiculed and critisised, well serves her bloody well right. It's not about political correctness, it's about being able to hold a rational view and to be able to rationally justify those views when challenged. And she failed on all counts.

I think the critical judge was way out of order - he said her answer was very divisive - well, if he didn't want an honest answer why did he ask the question? I think he knew what she would say so asked the question intentionally so that she would lose the contest. Her answer was actually quite gentle - she said that's what's she feels and no offence was meant - that answer is Ok with me even though I am gay and fully agree with gay marriage. The judge is something else - his attitude is typical of our 'opposition's'.

How would you know? Being a straight white bloke in a Caucasian dominated country would put you in the top ~47% of the male population yet you feel hard done by enough to come and whine in a sub-forum set up specifically for gay folks. How sad is that?

What is it with straight white men that they have to bleat like sheep when a small minority ask for the same rights that they (the straight white men) have enjoyed throughout history? We're not depriving you of anything. We're not taking away any of your rights or privileges. We'd just like to have those same rights and privileges that you enjoy. What are you scared of? Do you think you'll be somehow diminished if you're expected to take your place alongside the rest of humanity?

No intention of flaming but your comment highlighted above.

The only bleating I have ever noticed (maybe I am blind) is from the minorities that want to join the club (Majority) and once in re-write the rule book.

i.e. Women wanting to join all male clubs for one.

An example. At my rugby club wifes and GF's were always guest's since it was a male sporting club. Some women pushed to be members, won and became full members, some women were voted onto the committee and in the blink of an eye, Rugby tours changed along with the social events.

Club went downhill and the women complained that the club was no longer the same (Since they joined)

I do not want to belong to a minority club, will not want them to close or change their rules to suit me. Believe in "Quid Pro Quo".

Have a number of Lesbian friends in solid relationships but they believe in seperate equality. Wish some gay men would do/believe the same and leave me to bleat (555 555) in my own club?

i would give her a few extra points for being honest.

but subtract more points for having a dumb reason. she said "thats the way i was brought up" .... well it would be better if she formed an opinion by herself.

however after reading tykes response, i can understand why she may have softened and shortened her reply/reason.

and i would have fired the person who asked the inappropriate question.

Edited by mc2

I believe she said that gays have the choice to have same sex marriage in America.They do not have that choice, so she is is an idiot, and should have lost for being a total ditz, not her political opinions.
i would give her a few extra points for being honest.

but subtract more points for having a dumb reason. she said "thats the way i was brought up" .... well it would be better if she formed an opinion by herself.

Amen. There is a hel_l of a deference between a legitimate opinion and an offensive knee jerk musing. Miss California's statements and subsequent utter lack of justification or reasons for her "opinion" you other posters so dearly defend, clearly fall into the latter category. Conversely, if another contestant said something like "gays should be able to marry just because it's fair and that's what I believe in" then I'd just as quickly knock off just as many points- Miss USA's are supposed to be thoughtful and uniting... if you don't have the intelligence to avoid a sensitive issue, give any credence to the opposing side, and just blurt out a spew of tired, partisan mantras then you don't deserve to be taken seriously.

God forbid that someone ask a difficult question. In this case, I heard her response (I didn't hear the judges comment). She lacked insight and diplomacy and she has the right to her opinion--and to be denied the title. Brains and beauty are not mutually exclusive.

I am gay and I am not exactly pro 'gay marriage.' I am fine with civil unions and other assurances of rights to people who chose to spend their life together. The constitution guarantees equality and as such I would never vote against a marriage bill. The sanctity of marriage has largely been trashed by straight folks, Californians in particular who are running a 50% divorce rate, or thereabouts. Whether Churches wish to bless these unions or not is up to them.

Had she used her head, she could have easily and diplomatically been less offensive and more insigntful. God, I am glad they didn't ask about waterboarding or whether a black person should be president!

Tolerance is a 2 way street!

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and she should not have suffered for her answer. :D

Damned stupid question for a beauty contest anyway ? :)

Not only a really bad question, but why do they allow a gutter-mouth celebrity blogger with a political agenda like Perez Hilton judge the contest? On his blog, he posts very disparaging items about celebs, gets sued a lot, and acts like a wank*r. Moreover, he posts videos of beauty contestant bloopers and falls on stage. I think he put the contest into a bad light, not only by asking that question, but his rude video-blog following the pageant (btw - he admits he does his video-blogs while drunk).

I am from California, straight, and pro-same sex marriage. In fact, I'm from L.A. and had never even heard of Perez Hilton before this pageant. He seems like a talentless gossiper who got famous by buddying up with Paris Hilton. Wasn't Michael Musto available?

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

No intention of flaming but your comment highlighted above.

The only bleating I have ever noticed (maybe I am blind) is from the minorities that want to join the club (Majority) and once in re-write the rule book.

i.e. Women wanting to join all male clubs for one.

An example. At my rugby club wifes and GF's were always guest's since it was a male sporting club. Some women pushed to be members, won and became full members, some women were voted onto the committee and in the blink of an eye, Rugby tours changed along with the social events.

Club went downhill and the women complained that the club was no longer the same (Since they joined)

I do not want to belong to a minority club, will not want them to close or change their rules to suit me. Believe in "Quid Pro Quo".

Have a number of Lesbian friends in solid relationships but they believe in seperate equality. Wish some gay men would do/believe the same and leave me to bleat (555 555) in my own club?

:D

I think that equality under the law is rather more important than the fact that you blokes can't cope with a few girlies joining your sporty club and taking control of it. How butch are you? :D

She is now doing anti-gay television commercials. Sore loser! Frankly, I hate her.

I'm sorry but this is all too typical of the type of attack she suffered by Perez Hilton. Exactly which programs has she been on that are anti gay ??????????????

Yes she is doing the rounds at the moment defending her position. Why shouldn't she ? I saw her on TV this morning. As she said she was faced with the choice of lying and giving a reply the the judge would like or sticking to her convictions and answering honestly. Well done to her for that!

It is the very people who HATE her for daring to differ from their own strict, intolerant views, like Perez Hilton, that causes all the trouble. WHY ?????? People have different opinions to me every day but I don't hate them for it??

People should be allowed to have an opinion. If not we are no longer living in a free society any longer and that would be a sad day indeed.

Sadly in the UK it is going that way now.

When it comes down to it, it was a " Beauty contest " not a politically correct thinking competition ! And nobody can take it away from her that she certainly is beautiful !

No, you don't get it, she volunteered now to do a specific anti-gay tv commercial with a notorious organization that exists to stir up hatred and fear of homosexuals. I can't hate back my oppressors? Sorry, I am not a believer of any turn the other cheek religion. I don't care if she marries or whether she marries or the sex of the person she marries, and I certainly wouldn't lift one finger to stop heterosexuals from having equal rights. Yet she does, against gays.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/...commercial.html

These radical right wing American fundamentalist Christians, people like her, openly talk about being in a culture WAR against people like me. So we can't hate them? I agree it is not spiritually advanced to have any hate, but what about against your ENEMIES who ACTIVELY work to hurt you?

Edited by Jingthing

Oppressed. Wow. That must suck.

Do you expect her to change her mind, her spiritual and religious views, to acommodate your lifestyle?

I wouldn't put too much stock into what a beauty pagent contestant believes.

Edited by Texpat

Do you expect her to change her mind, her spiritual and religious views, to acommodate your lifestyle?

No. But I expect equal rights under the law and support the fight against bigots like her who wish to perpetuate treating American homosexuals as second class citizens. We will win and in future the history books will teach that people like her were the moral equivalent of Gov. George Wallace blocking blacks from entering white segregated schools. How do you like them apples, Texy? Church and state: SEPARATE.

Edited by Jingthing

Church and state?

Is this a religious issue? Perhaps it is with her, but not everyone who opposes gay marriage is religious. And many that oppose it who are religious, don't view it as an issue of morality or a mandate from some silly book.

Roughtly 3/4 of Americans support gay rights yet more than half oppose gay marriage.

Should this contestant be lambasted for being open and honest?

Why are you so quick to hate?

Look buster, I have made it crystal clear about my position. Its OK for her to have an opinion but if she is going to go so far as to volunteer to work for hate groups opposing equal civil rights for gays (doing tv commercials), I hate her back. I don't care if that is not OK with you, and I also understand it is unhealthy to hate anyone for any reason, but I am only human.

This is some info about the heinous group she is now working with:

Edited by Jingthing