What's Your Opinion To Chosse Ubc Vs Local Cable

meyori

We have UBC for quite some time now and annual renew time is coming. And found local cable is much , much cheaper.

If you only want to have English channels to watch, which one would you think better or more expensive UBC is worth paying ?

Don't watch a lot of TV, just a brief tune in for local NEWS in the evening and for breaking World News during the day, For us it is local cable TV 100 percent UBC is overprice with sorry sorry service we this a BYE BYE years ago. :D:D:D Thank goodness for cable. :):D:D

We have UBC for quite some time now and annual renew time is coming. And found local cable is much , much cheaper.

If you only want to have English channels to watch, which one would you think better or more expensive UBC is worth paying ?

There are different cabel companies and they dont have the same channels. So check out which company is in your area and get a list of channels from them. In Kata I miss Bloombergnews. If your cabelcompany provides what you want to watch, save 1.100 baht or more a month. If the cabel signal is of lousy quality, install a booster. Can be purchased in HomePro at approx 500 baht.

UBC is way over priced.. But cable is piss poor..

I resent the 'value' but no way I wouldnt have UBC.

Agreed. True is overpriced for sure, but at least the quality (both picture and content) is way above that of local cable (I have both). Local cable is just a poor man's version of the South African company, DSTV, though if it equalled the quality and range of channels that they enjoy in South Africa, it would be very much worth having.

I noticed that my Gf's cable has Fox news from the US. My UBC doesn't. Only CNN world, Bloomberg and BBC. It's nice to get the news from home, even though I don't like biased Fox news compared to American CNN, MSNBC, etc, but it's better than nothing.

UBC/Truevisions overpriced, and signal goes in the rain(as does my overpriced and unreliable Maxnet Priemer4mb internet connection) but when compared to local cable, I think it's more or less the only game in town if you want wider English programming.

I have True & cable but will downgrade True soon. I get annoyed with cable's 3 sports channels as at times they show the same thing on two channels, have one channel just displaying a Supersport logo, the other night halrway through a 20/20 cricket match they switched to a boxing match which was already in round 5 & then did not even go to the end of the boxing but switched over to VW car racing. Normally on weekends they have been showing Super 14s rugby but when I called to ask them why they were not showing it they responded immediately by switching over to a South African schoolboy game. In my opinion cable only has one decent news channel which is BBC.

If you want to watch all the English football games then you must have UBC. I don't watch footy so I don't think UBC is worth the money, so I don't have it at home. Cable TV carries most of the other sports live, and without commercial breaks. I prefer Formula 1 on cable as no breaks, and they show the practices and qualy interviews live.

Cable picture quality in Kata (we have Karon cable) is excellent, while in Patong we have Patong Cable where the picture quality is poor, often terrible.

Yes, UBC is over-priced, but, having the BBC Entertainment channel, History channel NGC, a bunch of movie channels is so much better than any cable.

If you pay a lump sum for the year, you get one month free.

I have always found their service very good.

Yes, UBC is over-priced, but, having the BBC Entertainment channel...

Oh dear!

"BBC Entertainment" channel will no longer be available from 1st June, according to the ticker message at the top of the screen.

Time to start seriously looking at cable.

Truevisions have shot themselves in the foot over this. I hope they lose their customers and go bust. What a bunch of :jerk:s.

I will be careful how I say this.. But the UBC's own install guy had to come and put a new LNB in for us.. While here he had (expensive) alternative payment plans :) for UBC which was UBC plat + all the additional discovery + disney + everything.. Basically every channel that UBC can supply.

Everyone (I assume) knows you can cardshare UBC for a couple of grand a year but that has its drawbacks, this however was a drawback free alternative.. Kinda pricey tho.

I finally managed to get through to True Visions in Bangkok. It seems many are calling in about the upcoming cancellation of BBC Entertainment. I was informed the contract is expiring & they are currently in negotiations to renew whcih seems odd considering the message which flashes across the screen. I look forward to many of the programmes on BBC E & to have it cancelled will make me look for alternatives. I undertsand it can be part of a satellite package.

No cable available here, so I'm stuck with UBC.

Don't care for kickball and the other sports available are laughable. (airplane racing, skateboarding, karate board breaking, pro-wrestling? <deleted> ??)

CNN and BBC are equally biased. I'd love to get NHK, but Platinum Package would require selling one of my kidneys. I need them both.

Are Nat Geo, Discovery and Cartoon Channel worth 1,500 a month? Not really.

Yes, UBC is over-priced, but, having the BBC Entertainment channel...

Oh dear!

"BBC Entertainment" channel will no longer be available from 1st June, according to the ticker message at the top of the screen.

Time to start seriously looking at cable.

Truevisions have shot themselves in the foot over this. I hope they lose their customers and go bust. What a bunch of :) s.

Have they said what they are replacing BBC Entertainment with?

I will be careful how I say this.. But the UBC's own install guy had to come and put a new LNB in for us.. While here he had (expensive) alternative payment plans :D for UBC which was UBC plat + all the additional discovery + disney + everything.. Basically every channel that UBC can supply.

Everyone (I assume) knows you can cardshare UBC for a couple of grand a year but that has its drawbacks, this however was a drawback free alternative.. Kinda pricey tho.

Cardshare....sounds interesting. What's that?

No cable available here, so I'm stuck with UBC.

Don't care for kickball and the other sports available are laughable. (airplane racing, skateboarding, karate board breaking, pro-wrestling? <deleted> ??)

CNN and BBC are equally biased. I'd love to get NHK, but Platinum Package would require selling one of my kidneys. I need them both.

Are Nat Geo, Discovery and Cartoon Channel worth 1,500 a month? Not really.

The Nat Geo, Discovery, History and sometimes Animal Planet are worth it IMHO. And the movie channels too.

Some complaints: I don't know if cable does this, but in UBS/True they oddly blur out cigarettes, but only when in the smokers mouth, and guns, but only when pointed at peoples heads. It is very distracting, and ironically draws more attention to them than if they just left it alone, defeating the purpose of the blurring entirely.

There is also way to much branding on the screens. E.G. Nat Geo Logo in one corner, TrueVisions logo in another corner, and then with the Thai subtitles along the bottom it makes it very hard to focus, and at times impossible to read captions and such that are part of whatever program is on.

Although i dont have either of the services mentioned it seems to me that 1500 a month is good value for a TV service that provides movies and sports.

In the UK sports channels alone are over £20 (1000 baht) then the movie channels are about the same again....(although i strongly expect they are of better quality HD etc)

If i remember correctly UBC actually broadcast far more premiership football games then SKY sports in the UK which i believe are probably the most expensive rights to buy. On that basis it seems quite good value....if you watch football that is!

If i remember correctly UBC actually broadcast far more premiership football games then SKY sports in the UK which i believe are probably the most expensive rights to buy. On that basis it seems quite good value....if you watch football that is!

But then you need to pay for Platinum service = 2,000 baht + tax.

But then you need to pay for Platinum service = 2,000 baht + tax.

From looking at the truevisionstv website it would seem the Gold and Platinum packages offer the same sports including the true sports extra channels. The Platinum package does include 11 extra channels though...i just cant seem to work out what they are!

From looking at the truevisionstv website it would seem the Gold and Platinum packages offer the same sports including the true sports extra channels. The Platinum package does include 11 extra channels though...i just cant seem to work out what they are!

Gold only has Star Sports and ESPN. You need Platinium for all the live English football. (about 10 extra channels ?). Platinum also has BBCE, Turner Classic Movies, and some thing like MGM Movies.

Gold only has Star Sports and ESPN. You need Platinium for all the live English football. (about 10 extra channels ?). Platinum also has BBCE, Turner Classic Movies, and some thing like MGM Movies.

It seems as though other websites confirm what you say but the truevisions website says the gold package gives you it all...

http://www.truevisionstv.com/package.aspx?id=38 (i assume i can post the link on here?)

Seems messed up...i could imagine being pretty annoyed if i thought i was going to get all the sports then only recieved eurosport! lol

I just changed my package from Platinum to Silver along with the Discovery package that Hirider mentioned but I lost a couple of movie channels, History, NG & Discovery but still have BBC E & Star World although I will be really annoyed if they drop BBC E at the end of this month like they have advertised as there are some great shows on it. Losing the sports channels does not bother as I am not interested in football & I can get plenty of rugby union from the cable service which is my preferred sport.

I'm going to have to weigh up the cost difference of paying for the platinum service and watching the premiership games in my apartment and the cost of not having it and going to a local bar watching it for free but buying beer. I expect the first option will be cheaper and healthier!

The only one I would miss is nat geo adventure.. The BBC E is pretty pathetic (now if they had a BBC natural history / horizon / etc I would be a subscriber.. But just to 'MV group' for that :)) and while star world does have the odd outdated simpsons, the E channel is a plastic fantastic nightmare..

I have platinum but I think its time to downgrade and use the surplus to get the same channels via alternative means.

My UBC Gold package has six sports channels (but way too much soccer) including a good amount of MMA fights as well as boxing, K-1 and kickboxing. Plus they give you all the major boxing events for free which are pay per view everywhere else. This included the Pacquiao vs Hatton slaughter yesterday. For me this makes it worth the cost.