Power Surge

LBall

Two days ago there was a power surge in the Huai Yai area. Blew up the neighbors transformer. I lost my computer, fridge, 3 aircon's, fans, etc. This happens, on average, every 3-4 months. The question is, what can I contact with the power company to find out why this keeps happening. Or, is it even worth my time?

Two days ago there was a power surge in the Huai Yai area. Blew up the neighbors transformer. I lost my computer, fridge, 3 aircon's, fans, etc. This happens, on average, every 3-4 months. The question is, what can I contact with the power company to find out why this keeps happening. Or, is it even worth my time?

That's scary... If I were you, I would invest in a proper surge protector to protect my goods. Not one of those cheapos, but a real good one.

I live in Jomtien, and when we had the first rain of the year a while back there were lots of short, sharp power cuts for about an hour. I was on my PC, and feeling smug about the UPS and surge protector. (I had only invested in that after a surge cost me 20K Baht of damage to the a few years before :) .) So I was pretty miffed to find that the surges/cuts had blown the thermostat on the fridge.

Would you buy a surge protector for each individual appliance, or is there an industrial strength protector available that you can have fitted to safeguard your entire mains supply? What is the approximate cost? Thanks for any info.

I live in Jomtien, and when we had the first rain of the year a while back there were lots of short, sharp power cuts for about an hour. I was on my PC, and feeling smug about the UPS and surge protector. (I had only invested in that after a surge cost me 20K Baht of damage to the a few years before :) .) So I was pretty miffed to find that the surges/cuts had blown the thermostat on the fridge.

Would you buy a surge protector for each individual appliance, or is there an industrial strength protector available that you can have fitted to safeguard your entire mains supply? What is the approximate cost? Thanks for any info.

To pick a number I will say that this has happened 8 times in the last 6 years. Every time it has happened I have had another / different electrician come and tell me the same thing, surge protectors just can't work. The reason being that by the time the protector trips, the damage has already been done. Anyway this leads to the next question, if I am allowed, are there any retired electricians around Pattaya than can give me advice on what to do?

Speak to the people in the "Safe T Cut" shop on Sukhumvit road, they have systems to protect whole houses as well as individual protectors, dont know how good they are or costs?

Thanks, whereabouts on Suk is that shop, and which side?

Speak to the people in the "Safe T Cut" shop on Sukhumvit road, they have systems to protect whole houses as well as individual protectors, dont know how good they are or costs?

Thanks, whereabouts on Suk is that shop, and which side?

It was on the northbound side just after the Esso station, (between Klang and Nua) , somebody told me it moved to the opposite side though?? have not looked recently?

http://safe-t-cut-pattaya.com/en/contact.html

Edited by LennyW

O.K. I checked their website on Google. It's in Thai and when I hit the translate button there was pretty much nothing there.

I'm back on Wednesday, I'll give them a check.

Thanks,

O.K. I checked their website on Google. It's in Thai and when I hit the translate button there was pretty much nothing there.

I'm back on Wednesday, I'll give them a check.

Thanks,

If you click on the link i gave you above, everything comes up in English, full product specs too....^^