Hua Hin Hospital?

Garret

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add to the case building against Sao Paulo (as if any more evidence was needed)!

A mate fell and hit his head on a window. The window broke, cutting his head. He went to Sao Paulo to have it looked at and cleaned up. A month later, back in his homeland his head was still sore so he went to see his local hospital. They pulled out a shard of glass an inch long!

A few weeks ago I broke my little toe. I went to Sao Paulo believing it can't be as bad as all the stories I keep hearing, and my mate was probably just unlucky.

The young doctor and nurse splinted up my broken toe - leaving it sticking out at 45 degrees. I said "that can't be right, if it sets in that position then I will never be able to wear shoes again". The doctor said "come back in a week and if you have a problem you may require a small operation"!

I paid my 2000 baht for <deleted> @ll and as soon as I got home I googled for "broken little toe treatment" - 929,000 results! As described in 928,999 of them I removed the splint, taped up my little toe to the next one, and now the toe is perfect. Needless to say I didn't go back to SP for the follow-up!

Another mate's girlfriend just had a baby in Sao Paulo and he can't recommend them highly enough, but then again having babies is natural I suppose and not classified as "an illness" :D .

Will I go back to SP again? Morbid curiosity as to what they are going to <deleted> up next time is pulling me there, but I'll take my iphone and Google with me now that Hua Hin has 3G. I'll then not only be able to diagnose my problem but I'll be able to post my demise on ThaiVisa in real-time. :)

I had an okay experience with Sao Paulo hospital.

In the spring, around 4am a Saturday night I was dragged a feet or two nose first along our driveway by our dobberman. I was drunk out of this world and was hanging on to his collar stupid as I was. So the result was a shredded nose. My mates took me to Sao Paulo and we were the only people there, so had the "emergency room" for ourselves. They did a fine job patching my nose up and I think I paid less than 1000 baht including medicine for the following weeks.

They wanted me to come back every day for changing the patches, so I did. This also took place in the emergency room, so I had a ton of funny experiences in there that week. Was a guy that was shot in the neck, was a guy whose jaws seemed to have disappeared, was a Swedish woman which had stomach cramps so she kept shitting her pants, a woman gave birth, and a few other incidents. All in the same room :)

But I have been to a Hospital in Bangkok with a friend, and I must say those do look a "wee" bit better.

I had a physical exam at the Polyclinic yesterday. I went around 9 a.m. and was out by 10:30 a.m. It included all the standard blood tests as well as the other usual lab tests (human waste, both liquid and solid!) plus a session with a doctor and a chest x-ray, all for just over 1700 baht. They send the samples to Petcharat in Petchaburi so I wont know the results until Friday. Both the nurse (who checked me in and took the samples) and the doctor spoke good English.

For something more serious I would probably go to Bangkok if possible but for a routine annual physical, I think the Polyclinic is a good alternative, especially at the price they offer. I had what they call the "Classic" exam. They also offer a "Gold" (around 4100 baht) and "Diamond" (with options ranging from 4600 baht to around 5000). These two exams include more blood testing as well as an EKG. Those are the "male" prices by the way; the "female" prices are a little higher.

I had a physical exam at the Polyclinic yesterday. I went around 9 a.m. and was out by 10:30 a.m. It included all the standard blood tests as well as the other usual lab tests (human waste, both liquid and solid!) plus a session with a doctor and a chest x-ray, all for just over 1700 baht. They send the samples to Petcharat in Petchaburi so I wont know the results until Friday. Both the nurse (who checked me in and took the samples) and the doctor spoke good English.

For something more serious I would probably go to Bangkok if possible but for a routine annual physical, I think the Polyclinic is a good alternative, especially at the price they offer. I had what they call the "Classic" exam. They also offer a "Gold" (around 4100 baht) and "Diamond" (with options ranging from 4600 baht to around 5000). These two exams include more blood testing as well as an EKG. Those are the "male" prices by the way; the "female" prices are a little higher.

A couple of years ago I flew into Thailand from the UK and within 48 hrs developed DVT (deep vein thrombosis)I was treated at San Paolo and survived although when I went in the doctor told me it was 50/50 (Thai docs do NOT have a good bedside manner). I have no complaint about my two weeks in San Paolo back then.

I had kidney stones and was treated at Petcharat maybe 4 yrs ago. Again all good. Sadly I was again admitted to Petcharat just about ten days ago, what a difference. The hospital has deteriorated beyond belief. Its dirty, nothing works, the staff are useless and its pricey, very pricey. I was so disgusted that despite still being sick and in pain I checked out and went straight to Hua Hin hospital and got considerably better treatment and I am now home and well.

My point being that these hospitals seem to change. I got good treatment at San Paolo but most people run it down, I went into Petcharat some years ago and it was great - more recently I would say it needs demolishing and the staff completely retraining and/or replacing. The place is now terrible and right off my list. The shining new star seems to be Hua Hin hospital, if you get a private room up on the 8th floor (they're not always avail) at 1500 baht a night your in complete quiet and comfort with good clean facilities and attentive helpful staff. Even the food was OK now thats saying something for a gov hospital !

Next to soi 10

So excuse me, do you mean the old Hua-Hin hospital that was doing up the top floor for the King and Queen?

The new hospital complex that was built next to the old one. The whole building was new as far as I remember not only the top floor

Edited by jflundy

:) After two years living in Hua Hin and several visits to SP Hospital including some hours in the ICU, I too left Hua Hin as, in my humble opinion, there is inadequate medical care, thus the move to Bangkok.....some may agree others may not, up to the individual I guess, for me it was peace of mind which I have at BNH and Bangkok Christian Hospital. :D Dukkha

The new Hua Hin hospital is now open, anyone have any experience with treatment here and charges for having to stay a few nights?

These are some hospital prices quoted by my insurance agent for hospital room per day:

Sao Paulo 2,900

Hua Hin Hospital 1,800

Petcharad 2,470

Bangkok Hospital 6,750

Bunungrad 7,785

The new Hua Hin hospital is now open, anyone have any experience with treatment here and charges for having to stay a few nights?

These are some hospital prices quoted by my insurance agent for hospital room per day:

Sao Paulo 2,900

Hua Hin Hospital 1,800

Petcharad 2,470

Bangkok Hospital 6,750

Bunungrad 7,785

Well the g/f just spent 8 nights in HHH at 1,200 baht a night on the 7th floor, Excellent big room and was taken care of better than SP at less cost.

Edited by jflundy

They've broken ground on Bangkok Hospital in Hua Hin, just south of Market Village. A welcome addition.

You mean in the big intersection by the police station and the post office? Or not so much south?

I don't know exactly where awd is talking about, but south of Market Village would not be near the intersection where the police station and the post office are. That is the center of town. South of Market Village would begin at Soi 88/1 and go on (south) to higher numbered sois. The only large scale construction I've noticed in that area is on the corner of Soi 94, which is supposed to be a hotel/shopping complex being built by the owners of Geeuntin (sp?) super market.

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen the Bangkok Hospital building site now... It is between Sois 94 and 98. There is a sign there now saying that Bangkok Hospital is being built there.

I wonder how San Paulo will fare when the new Bangkok Hospital is up and running just down the road! :)