Hua Hin Hospital?

Garret

This past Sunday, my 76 year old mother suffered a stroke. We were in Pranburi and the local small hospital called Hua Hin hospital, They sent an ambulance and within 5 min of arrival she was having a CT scan...At this point in time I thought we were in good hands...WOW....was I wrong, 6 hours later and after having the director of the hospital on the phone they had a doctor see my Mom.This doctor was so stupid that I thought I would have been better off bringing her to Pizza Hut for care, to make matters worse she administered a medication that caused another stroke, She then informed me that my mothers only hope was to be sent to Bangkok. We arrived in Bangkok at 4 am and the Doctors there were able to take care of her and give her the proper medication..Thankfuly she recovered and will soon head back to the States for surgerey.

What makes matters worse in this story is that 5 days prior the Thai formen who builds all of the homes in our development had an accident and broke his leg on the job site and had to undergo an operation at Hua Hin Hospital.....They had to transfer him as well since he had no doctor look after him and he develped an infection that was about to cost him his leg....

In both cases at two diffent hospitals the doctors and staff were blown away at the standard of care at the Hua Hin Hospital.

Idon't want any money for this botched care but I have contacted a lawyer so that some attention will be called to this hospital and maybe they will wake up.

This past Sunday, my 76 year old mother suffered a stroke. We were in Pranburi and the local small hospital called Hua Hin hospital, They sent an ambulance and within 5 min of arrival she was having a CT scan...At this point in time I thought we were in good hands...WOW....was I wrong, 6 hours later and after having the director of the hospital on the phone they had a doctor see my Mom.This doctor was so stupid that I thought I would have been better off bringing her to Pizza Hut for care, to make matters worse she administered a medication that caused another stroke, She then informed me that my mothers only hope was to be sent to Bangkok. We arrived in Bangkok at 4 am and the Doctors there were able to take care of her and give her the proper medication..Thankfuly she recovered and will soon head back to the States for surgerey.

What makes matters worse in this story is that 5 days prior the Thai formen who builds all of the homes in our development had an accident and broke his leg on the job site and had to undergo an operation at Hua Hin Hospital.....They had to transfer him as well since he had no doctor look after him and he develped an infection that was about to cost him his leg....

In both cases at two diffent hospitals the doctors and staff were blown away at the standard of care at the Hua Hin Hospital.

Idon't want any money for this botched care but I have contacted a lawyer so that some attention will be called to this hospital and maybe they will wake up.

I hope your mother recovers fully.

That's one of the things I hate about living in Hua Hin...there is no competent medical care here!

Maybe he might be able to stop her from hurting anyone else.....The guy with the broken leg was tranfered to another hospital as well with an infection......Not worried about money...just would hope that the witch-doctor that I can lay blame on might not hurt anyone else...Sure a shot in the dark....been here 17 years, have the time and the patience to see it through....My posting was not sent out to discuss...It was meant to be a heads up for people......nuff said

• 2 weeks later...
Sao Paolo - a Portuguese phrase - is no saint in Hua Hin, and no stranger to this forum. More of a curse word. My #1 cause for leaving Hua Hin.

Actually I find the public hospital in HH better. Nothing compared to BKK hospital in Phuket, but not as bad as most public hospitals in LOS.

• 4 weeks later...

I am sure you mean Sao Paulo Hospital in Hua Hin?? We have all had terrible experiences there.

The Large Hua Hin Hospital is not too bad. But Petcharat Hospital in Petchburi is very good and well equipped

Hua Hin Hospital and Sao Paolo are both phenomenally good hospitals for a town in Thailand with a population of 50,000 - 100,000 people. I can't think of another town in Thailand with this population that has this standard of medical care available. That said, rural Thailand is no place to seek medical care when the care in Bangkok is world-class. If you have a chance of surviving the two hour ride to Bangkok you are far better off.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pecharat Hospital (Petchaburi) is very good. I used to go to Bumrungrod and BGH in Bangkok but Pecharat is only 30 minutes from Hua Hin and just as good and one third the price. Rooms are nice and most staff speak English. They havee all the most modern equipment too.

Hua Hin Hospital is OK for minor problems but very long waiting periods. Sao Paulo is a disgrace

and very incompetent. Should be closed down.

Pecharat Hospital (Petchaburi) is very good. I used to go to Bumrungrod and BGH in Bangkok but Pecharat is only 30 minutes from Hua Hin and just as good and one third the price. Rooms are nice and most staff speak English. They havee all the most modern equipment too.

Hua Hin Hospital is OK for minor problems but very long waiting periods. Sao Paulo is a disgrace

I know things like this can happen at any hospital, but a few years ago I went to Petcharat Hospital for a health checkup. Service and prices were good, but when I went for the results, I was told that I had a serious heart condition and was shown an x-ray that contained a dangerously enlarged heart. They told me there was little I could do and that it was probably caused by lifestyle and years of high blood pressure. The doctor just told me to lose some weight and exercise if I wanted to live anywhere to a normal age with this condition.

I was in my mid 50's and didn't think I was in bad shape as I was a bit overweight and drink a bit too much, but I exercised regularly, ate pretty healthy, and had had my blood pressure under control for twenty years with medication (I check it daily at home myself) so I was stunned by the result since about three years before I had been through a complete heart exam including a treadmill test in the U.S. and my heart was pronounced healthy.

After stressing over it for about six months, I went to Bumrungrad and had their executive health checkup which also includes a complete heart check with treadmill test (and x-ray).

My heart was pronounced completely healthy and normal sized and I saw the x-ray (my heart was half the size seen on the Petcharat x-ray).

I can only assume that Petcharat mixed up the x-ray with someone elses causing me six months of stress thinking I was going to die any day. Plus, there is/was some poor guy out there that had a serious heart condition and was probably told his heart was fine!

I haven't been back and will only go there again if I have something serious enough that I don't trust Hua Hin Hospital and don't have time to make it to Bangkok.

Wow!! things must have changed drastically on the hospital scene in Huahin, my wife developed a lung infectionresulting in brobhial pneumonia and a collapsed lung, while we were staying in Cha Am in 1995, she was rushed to Hua hin public hospital , where she was treated promptly and well, at that time my wife was 51 years old, a relative novice in everything thai, after 10days I was allowed to take her home to Cha Am, where a nurse from thehospital came daily to check on her progress, after 14 days she was pronounced fit to travel , all this wonderful treatment and care cost just over 4000$ australian, when we are in thailand she always sings the praises of the hospital and recomends it to everyone, really sorry tohear the serviceshave gone down hill :)

Ok I do not realy understand the complaines here.

I have a SSO Card and I am registered at Hua Hin Hospital.

All treatment is free for me and the service is very good.

Only some of the docotrs speak english but this is not a problem because there is one girl from customer service with perfect english, and she translate.

There is also one nurse who speak german.

I am happy there !

Ok I do not realy understand the complaines here.

I have a SSO Card and I am registered at Hua Hin Hospital.

All treatment is free for me and the service is very good.

Only some of the docotrs speak english but this is not a problem because there is one girl from customer service with perfect english, and she translate.

There is also one nurse who speak german.

I am happy there !

What's an SSO Card?

Yes, since the rebuild or addition to Hua Hin Hospital I've been hearing some better things about it. I would certainly choose it over San Paulo! Having said that, I would still go to Bangkok in a non-emergency... and there are excellent hospitals in Bangkok that are not as expensive as Bumrungrad or Bkk Hospital. St. Louis for one is a private non-profit hospital there run by the Catholic church. It is excellent and half the price of the other good private hospitals.

An SSO Card is actualy nearly the same as the "30 Bath Card" only difference is you do not pay 30 THB.

Everbody who work and pay for Social Security (If you have a WP you do pay the SSO),

get this card.

With this card and your Passport and your WP you register at the next Goverment Hospital,

and after this every medical treatment is free for you .

OK - I got a decent annual physical there once, and some decent lab tests. The staff is cute. I got my earwax cleaned out by the nice nurse.

Dermatologist mis-diagnosed deep surgical infection as contact dermatitis. GP was honest enough to admit he didn't have a clue. My neighbors had incredibly horrific experiences.

Search this sub-forum for Sao Paolo.

I have been treated at Sao Paolo twice now and my Mother once and have always been amazed at the high level of service, it is not cheap but then I was insured.

I can't believe people are slagging it off !

I was personally misdiagnosed there (and way overcharged for the bad diagnosis) and their incompetence could have had serious consequences for me had I not gone to the International Polyclinic (Hua Hin branch of Petcharat Hospital in Petchaburi) as soon as it opened a few hours later for the correct diagnosis and medications.

Horror stories abound locally about San Paulo including unnecessary deaths and dismemberments. I have instructed my wife to make sure I am taken to Hua Hin hospital if I have a problem and can't make it to Bangkok. I went to SP the first time because it was the middle of the night, I was seriously ill, and they are close to my home. I knew by the diagnosis and the way the doctor talked and acted that he was incompetent. That's why I went to the Polyclinic as soon as it opened the following day. Thank God I did. As soon as the doctor there heard my symptoms he got it right, gave me the correct meds, and charged me less than a third of what I had paid a few hours earlier at SP for the incorrect diagnosis. I would never intentionally go to San Paulo again.

• 2 months later...
I have been treated at Sao Paolo twice now and my Mother once and have always been amazed at the high level of service, it is not cheap but then I was insured.

I can't believe people are slagging it off !

I was personally misdiagnosed there (and way overcharged for the bad diagnosis) and their incompetence could have had serious consequences for me had I not gone to the International Polyclinic (Hua Hin branch of Petcharat Hospital in Petchaburi) as soon as it opened a few hours later for the correct diagnosis and medications.

Horror stories abound locally about San Paulo including unnecessary deaths and dismemberments. I have instructed my wife to make sure I am taken to Hua Hin hospital if I have a problem and can't make it to Bangkok. I went to SP the first time because it was the middle of the night, I was seriously ill, and they are close to my home. I knew by the diagnosis and the way the doctor talked and acted that he was incompetent. That's why I went to the Polyclinic as soon as it opened the following day. Thank God I did. As soon as the doctor there heard my symptoms he got it right, gave me the correct meds, and charged me less than a third of what I had paid a few hours earlier at SP for the incorrect diagnosis. I would never intentionally go to San Paulo again.

They did not even have a doctor on duty when I went there, I had to wait 3 hours, 5 staff tried to take my blood then they bought someone in from outside. This hospital is a disgrace, The Hua Hin government hospital is much improved and good now

• Like 1

Hua Hin Hospital and Sao Paolo are both phenomenally good hospitals for a town in Thailand with a population of 50,000 - 100,000 people. I can't think of another town in Thailand with this population that has this standard of medical care available. That said, rural Thailand is no place to seek medical care when the care in Bangkok is world-class. If you have a chance of surviving the two hour ride to Bangkok you are far better off.

koh samui has a public hospital, 2 sudo international hospitals, and bkk hospital with full time brain surgeon and many more specalist.

For basic treatment it seems fine and we've always been happy with treatment there. What you have to realise is that when things start getting a little more serious, they simply don't have the facilities, laboratories, range of doctors and hence one could argue the expertise needed for more serious things.

It would be most useful if I had the telephone #'s of the Pecharat and Hua-Hin hospitals to hand, can anybody provide these please. Which hospital(s) does the 'Polyclinic' use?

The Poly Clinic is a branch of Phetcharat Hospital. You will get their number there.

Anyway half an hour drive seems a bit optimistic for 70 km distance. Maybe Michael Schumacher driven ignoring the red lights in Cha Am.

Agree with the reports about San Paolo. This hospital actually should be closed down by authorities. Incredible!

When I started this thread I just wanted to make people think about what they could be getting into if they went to the HH hospital. As it turns out my poor Mother was set to return to the States and had another TIA.....this time we went to the other Hospital. Here after 4 hours I had to leave the room for about 20 min and the ONLY doctor in the whole place picked that time to dose her with an anti-coagulant....She is a vegetable now.....After her first TIA she wa sent to St Louis and saw a sroke Dr. He thought she would be fine to head to the states. The Dr that saw her in HuaHin should have made a call to the Dr at St Loius had he she most likley would have been been OK. At Bumrungrad, where she spen almost 3 months they were mortified at what they did to her here in Hua Hin....Her doctors in the States were as well.......If you just need band aid care fine both HH hospital and Sp hospital shoud to the trick.......But I would not take my Dog there for anything else. Period........I guess a lot of people need to convince themselves that there is a place that can take care of them in emergencies.....Good Luck with that.

The Poly Clinic is a branch of Phetcharat Hospital. You will get their number there.

Anyway half an hour drive seems a bit optimistic for 70 km distance. Maybe Michael Schumacher driven ignoring the red lights in Cha Am.

Agree with the reports about San Paolo. This hospital actually should be closed down by authorities. Incredible!

Re the 'Poly clinic' and Phetcharat Hospital; which would appear to be the best option for anybody needing treatment from Hua-Hin or surrounding area. What is the situation if somebody is taken ill during the evening or night. I understand that the Poly clinic has a small ambulance operating but is this available 'out of hours' and will it take the patient straight to the Hospital in Phetcharat. This would be useful information for all of us I think; particularly if one of our partners does not drive.

Does the Phetcharat hospital have doctors on duty 24 hours? Better to be informed, so that we can at least have some info to hand if the worst happened.

Re the 'Poly clinic' and Phetcharat Hospital; which would appear to be the best option for anybody needing treatment from Hua-Hin or surrounding area. What is the situation if somebody is taken ill during the evening or night. I understand that the Poly clinic has a small ambulance operating but is this available 'out of hours' and will it take the patient straight to the Hospital in Phetcharat. This would be useful information for all of us I think; particularly if one of our partners does not drive.

Does the Phetcharat hospital have doctors on duty 24 hours? Better to be informed, so that we can at least have some info to hand if the worst happened.

Yes, they have an ambulance service 24/7 to Petcharat Hospital. I am not sure if the Poly Clinic opens 24/7 but you can call them 24/7. Better go and ask the phone number directly from them.

However Petcharat Hospital is a good one for the first treatment. If you got something serious and complicated go to Bangkok. Bumrungrad or Bangkok Hospital.

Poly Clinic ambulance will bring you there as well.

• 3 weeks later...