Thai Marriage

Sparkles

Is a Thai Buddhist marriage recognised as a legal and binding contract in other countries eg Australia, England ? Or does one have to re marry in the country of origin ?

Should the marriage be registered with the country in question Bangkok embassy ?

Any constructive advice would be most welcome.

A traditional marriage is not recognised as offical in either Thailand or other countries. For it to be legally binding it has to be registered at an amphur. The marriage would then be legal in most countries and you would not necessarily have to record it at your embassy but can do so if you wish. The foregoing is correct as it applies to the UK but, if you are from Australia check with the Oz embassy.

Cheers,

Scouse.

As this is "hypothetical" will also point out (just in case) that being married does allow visa free entry to either UK or OZ so that would be the next step if plans were to live outside of Thailand. The Thai marriage certificate could be the first step however.

As this is "hypothetical" will also point out (just in case) that being married does allow visa free entry to either UK or OZ so that would be the next step if plans were to live outside of Thailand.  The Thai marriage certificate could be the first step however.

Lopburi3,

Are you sure that being married allows visa free entry to Australia? The last I heard there was a two or three year queue at the Australian Embassy just to get an interview to start the application for Australian residency for a Thai spouse?

As this is "hypothetical" will also point out (just in case) that being married does allow visa free entry to either UK or OZ so that would be the next step if plans were to live outside of Thailand.  The Thai marriage certificate could be the first step however.

Lopburi3,

Are you sure that being married allows visa free entry to Australia? The last I heard there was a two or three year queue at the Australian Embassy just to get an interview to start the application for Australian residency for a Thai spouse?

I missed the "not" it seems and someone has moved post so unable to edit. My post should read "being married does not allow visa free entry".

Thanks much for catching that. Hope we haven't had a dozen new marriages today.

It seems u are interested in Australian and UK emabssy situations........well I can tell you with confidence that the two cases are different.

The UK Embassy definitely has paperwork to complete and to have translated and a nice fee to pay too.......your translator should take the paperwork back to the embassy and then they can lodeg it with the GRO in London. When it is at the GRO, it is not actually registered as such in the UK but the documnents are kept there.......so its as good as being registered.

The Australian case is similar but with one main difference........they do not send your documents back to Australia.......you must lodge them in Austrlaia yourself, at 'Births, Deaths and Marriages', to be registered in Australia.

Their websites outline what u need to do. If you want more info pm me and I may be able to point you in the right direction.