Should The Farang Pay

longstebe

The wifes father is poorly. This is due to hammering the sh!t out of the whisky and whatever else.

Sometimes he needs to stay overnight in hospital but its not a regular thing by all means.I have one brother-in-law(mechanic from home)and one sister-in law(hubby is workin in S'pore).All Thai.

My question is - who should pay the Hospital/medication bills and food for him every month?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wifes father is poorly. This is due to hammering the sh!t out of the whisky and whatever else.

Sometimes he needs to stay overnight in hospital but its not a regular thing by all means.I have one brother-in-law(mechanic from home)and one sister-in law(hubby is workin in S'pore).All Thai.

My question is - who should pay the Hospital/medication bills and food for him every month?

Who has the most spare money and is closest blood relative or share the cost equally or fairly..

most importantly, what do you think ?

I have to agree with Sanook2me.I'm all about being fair. Sharing the cost equal.

Who has the most spare money and is closest blood relative or share the cost equally or fairly..

Yes you're right, that's who SHOULD pay the Bill but who do you think WILL pay the Bill ??

I'd be amazed if it isn't the person who asked the question in the first place but i hope for his sake it isn't..

Local ditrict hospital, I hope, not Bumrunrat!

He should have the Thai baht 30 "Gold card" for medical service, need to check if this'll cover him.

Mac

In my experience:

Don't expect a Thai to come forward. Even a son or daughter or wife.

They'll sit on their hands and wait for you to offer something.

Several years ago, I begrudgingly paid for an entire funeral -- only to learn later that the dead guy left a few hundred thousand baht to the people who should have paid for the funeral -- but played poor.

It didn't break me and it wasn't much compared to a western funeral, but it's the principle. Snakes abound.

Live and learn. Never again.

Edited by Texpat

Who should pay & who will pay are 2 completely different things... :)

Edited for writing something i shouldn't have done..

M Singh you still haven't said who you think should foot the bill.

I did 2 Posts above yours... :D

I just hope it isn't you, for your sake..

Who should pay & who will pay are 2 completely different things... :)

Edited for writing something i shouldn't have done..

M Singh you still haven't said who you think should foot the bill.

I did 2 Posts above yours... :D

I just hope it isn't you, for your sake..

Thats sitting on the fence mate :D

Thanks all the same though.

I have to agree with Sanook2me.I'm all about being fair. Sharing the cost equal.

Unfortunately, that is Western thinking.

I am in a similar position and would suggest that you find out exactly what is free and what has to be paid for. I would even suggest asking a family member to draw up a budget forecast for papa's condition - you suggest that there is a regular monthly cost.

Nevertheless, you are the Falang and as suggsested earlier no one in the family is going to step forward first. Also, you have not mentioned the family finances - do they have income/savings etc.

If you are expected to cough up the least you can expect is the family doing some work on the financial projections.

Get the wife to have a chat with the others in the family - and everyone can contribute a bit. Don't let them think that because you;re a "farang" you can (or should) be expected to carry the bill.

...... in fact, I'd be more than a little concerned if they even thought they could do that and/or the wife just allowed it to happen.

I take it for granted the wife realises this? - nope? mmmmm.............

It should be shared equally, I feel.

If you feel inclined to help with the bill, tell the family you will help. That does not mean you will foot the whole bill See the bills yourself from the hospital. Check the dates to make sure they are current and not old bills produced from the depths of some hidey hole.

Him although it might be cheaper to supply him with free booze in the hope he'll over do it and end up "brown bread"

pay for the bills, and let the father and mother know that you will pay for their future medical problems and funerals, but they have to put your wife/children as the heir to their home and lands.

or better yet, buy these assets from them now, but do not give them a lump sum. give them a series of payments over X years.

Edited by TonySoprano

So I am an farang if I get sick from drinking or any other related sickness like smoking can I ask my Thai family to support me too?

I am sure those who are the same age as their wife and built a relationship on love and respect are more likely to have their care paid for, as opposed to those who are twice their wife's age and have a relationship built on payments.

q. How old are you?

a. 24.

q. Cool. I am 58. Do you want to get married?

a. OK.

q. But you promise that you are not only interested in my money and are marrying me because I am so handsome and good in bed and that you will take care of me if I get sick?

a. ...

Edited by TonySoprano

So I am an farang if I get sick from drinking or any other related sickness like smoking can I ask my Thai family to support me too?

I am sure those who are the same age as their wife and built a relationship on love and respect are more likely to have their care paid for, as opposed to those who are twice their wife's age and have a relationship built on payments.

q. How old are you?

a. 24.

q. Cool. I am 58. Do you want to get married?

a. OK.

q. But you promise that you are not only interested in my money and are marrying me because I am so handsome and good in bed and that you will take care of me if I get sick?

a. ...

Tony you missing the point, yes I am older then my wife, what that got to do with it? The point I am making is, would your Thai family pay for medical or what's so ever if you are a farang!

Very sad story indeed,and not unusual too.If i was very rich i would pay the bills,the problem is,if you do,instead of being grateful they will try to milk you more.Generalising?Maybe,but true in most of the cases so far. :)

Tony you missing the point, yes I am older then my wife, what that got to do with it? The point I am making is, would your Thai family pay for medical or what's so ever if you are a farang!

Of course they would, assuming they actually respect you and your relationship to their daughter.

If your relationship is built on you paying for companionship, then there is little motivation to pay for you.

Many farang are in relationships with girls and do not support her family.

i really dont think many of you understand thai culture.

what good is a farang for if he dont pay, he might as well be thai :):D:D .

if farang is sick from drinking he can ask family for help, they wont help but it wont affect daily living.

if farang dont give it WILL affect his daily living.

"I am sure those who are the same age as their wife"

does it have to be the exact same day, month and years? &-]

The 2 times their age minus 7 seems to be popular on Thai Visa.

Age is not the decisive factor, but one might reckon that its quite hard for a 25 year old to fall in love with a 45 year old, and more likely a financial arrangement. You also have to imagine that her family does not take the relationship seriously in this instance as well - hence, the daily "Thai Family" posts.

Of course they would, assuming they actually respect you and your relationship to their daughter.

If your relationship is built on you paying for companionship, then there is little motivation to pay for you.

Oh I see, well I must be stupid then I have paid for my wife and family for over 8 years but I don't think I get the same back am I missing some thing?

Oh I see, well I must be stupid then I have paid for my wife and family for over 8 years but I don't think I get the same back am I missing some thing?

Well, hopefully she is hot.

You need to ask why would a lovely 20 year old want to be with a 40/50 year old farang?

A.. easy, money. That is all, money. When you marry, YOU are expected to support the family. She is enduring you and will stay with you because of cash. The test is to cut the family off from all money and presents/gifts etc. and see how long the relationship lasts after that. I would bet my villa on not long until she goes and finds another.

Let me ask the question, why would a young Thai beauty marry a old man?

Answer - cash - he will live maybe 10 years, she has to put up with him and then she will have all he has, house, pension etc. and become very rich is Thai standards

Simple answer to a question asked so many times but unfortunately these older men won't accept the truth that their wife/gf is only there for financial support.

DO NOT PAY THE HOSPITAL BILL AND CUT EVERYONE OFF FROM FINANCIAL SUPPORT THEN SEE HWO LONG YOUR RELATIONSHIP LASTS. OPEN YOUR EYES AND START TO LIVE YOU LIFE IN A TRUTHFUL WAY.

A difficult question/situation.

My own thoughts - Everyone should pay according to their means. So for example, I don't think it is unreasonable for other family members to be paying a few hundred Baht, or more, if they can afford it.

On the other hand perhaps a family member is sleeping over at the hospital to help out, or doing all the running around - that while not a financial contribution is a contribution.

If you are expected to pay everything then you are getting ripped off - and if other family members are staying clear of the issue, ie not helping in anyway then you are definitely getting ripped off.

I'd be blunt about it, offer a contribution and let them come up with the rest.