Open New Bank Account

NBigalke

Hello all,

I want to open a new bank account in Thailand.

I am married with a Thai, however, I have no visa and no work permit.

Is it possible to open my own bank account? What is the condition?

Thanks for the reply

Yeah, something doesn't sound right about the no visa thing. You should have at minimum, a visa on entry good for 30 days. You do not want to risk a serious overstay as those fines get hefty and can lead to jail. No visa, if that is the case, you would be looking at jail as soon as someone reported you, assuming they didn't try and blackmail you first.

For the bank account, you need your passport with a valid visa. Even a tourist visa is fine. And then you just need a letter from where you are staying, saying that they are your current address. You can even talk to your landlord and the bank can call them while you are there to verify that information, but need a letter at minimum. Kasikorn Bank is the easiest one to go through, as you can get a foreigner's account with the info and documents I had just stated.

GET YOUR PASSPORT AND VISA CHECKED ASAP!!!!

Yeah, something doesn't sound right about the no visa thing. You should have at minimum, a visa on entry good for 30 days. You do not want to risk a serious overstay as those fines get hefty and can lead to jail. No visa, if that is the case, you would be looking at jail as soon as someone reported you, assuming they didn't try and blackmail you first.

For the bank account, you need your passport with a valid visa. Even a tourist visa is fine. And then you just need a letter from where you are staying, saying that they are your current address. You can even talk to your landlord and the bank can call them while you are there to verify that information, but need a letter at minimum. Kasikorn Bank is the easiest one to go through, as you can get a foreigner's account with the info and documents I had just stated.

GET YOUR PASSPORT AND VISA CHECKED ASAP!!!!

You are wrong. Most nationalities don't need a Visa to enter Thailand. When you enter on 30 days, its NOT a Visa, its a Visa exemption.

Hello again all,

Thank you so much for all advises.

I am sorry that i did not give a clear information. I and my wife are living in Germany. We visit thailand once a year and stay never longer than 30days. I dont need a visa to enter Thailand in this case.

Anyhow, I want to open a bank account on our next trip to Thailand. Some more advises would be very appreciated.

:):D

Yes hi I tryed to open an account last time in Thailand but they told me that you either had to have a work visa or be on a permanent visa a short stay you can not but you can open an account in your wifes name.

Hello again all,

Thank you so much for all advises.

I am sorry that i did not give a clear information. I and my wife are living in Germany. We visit thailand once a year and stay never longer than 30days. I dont need a visa to enter Thailand in this case.

Anyhow, I want to open a bank account on our next trip to Thailand. Some more advises would be very appreciated.

:):D

I opened a bank account at the Siam branch in Nakhon Phanom with no visa or WP but my wife had to produce her I.D card and her family's house book (Not sure why the house book?)

Brigante7.

You have to just have to try different banks and branches until you find one the will let you open an account.

As mentioned above your wife going with you and presenting her ID and house book will be a help. The house book is is used as proof of residence and is often asked for when a Thai wants to open a bank account or anything similar.

The work permit is asked for because it has your address on it.

Proof of address is what they want the most. A letter from your embassy proving your address will work.

This is a letter that Bangkok bank has as one of it's requirements if you are a tourist. You can use iit as an example for a letter that should work at any bank. Link: http://www.bangkokbank.com/download/Certified_Letter.pdf

Not endorsing Bangkok Bank but they have the best info online that I have fournd concerning what is needed to open an account. It should be the same for any bank.

See this webpage for info: http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...+Accounts.htm#1

Hello all,

I want to open a new bank account in Thailand.

I am married with a Thai, however, I have no visa and no work permit.

Is it possible to open my own bank account? What is the condition?

Thanks for the reply

NO Prosblem to get a savings account and bankcard. I have two of them and only on holliday's twice a year. you need your pasport and bring your woman with you because she has to sign aswell. As an adress you give her's, or moms/dads/sister/brothers house.Yoy will get a bankbook and visa bankcard in 30 minutes. You may make your own pincode.I am with The bangkok bank, and no worry's at all. Only if you want to do internetbanking you need a workpemirt.

Choc dee,

K.C Amsterdam Holland.

Kasikorn is the most "farang friendy" bank out of the whole lot of them

I opened an account with them in 20 minutes, and came away with passbook, Visa debit/ATM card and internet banking facility

All i needed to provide was my passport which had only the 30 day exemption stamp in it (which they took in a room to photocopy) and an address in Thailand. That was my hotel room.which was accepted with no problems whatsoever

Why some people make such a drama and fuss about such a simple task as this i fail to see :)

Penkoprod

Kasikorn is the most "farang friendy" bank out of the whole lot of them

I opened an account with them in 20 minutes, and came away with passbook, Visa debit/ATM card and internet banking facility

All i needed to provide was my passport which had only the 30 day exemption stamp in it (which they took in a room to photocopy) and an address in Thailand. That was my hotel room.which was accepted with no problems whatsoever

Why some people make such a drama and fuss about such a simple task as this i fail to see :)

Penkoprod

Was this in Pattaya or anywhere in Isaan?