After Death ?

FATNAPPY

On a sombre note, some info please. Was told last night ( maybe bar-room bullsh*t ) that even if you are a long term resident here, if you die here without being married you cannot be cremated here and the British Embassy steps in, takes over and your body is shipped back to UK. Is this the case ? Any info please....not that I am planning on shuffling off just yet !!!

On a sombre note, some info please. Was told last night ( maybe bar-room bullsh*t ) that even if you are a long term resident here, if you die here without being married you cannot be cremated here and the British Embassy steps in, takes over and your body is shipped back to UK. Is this the case ? Any info please....not that I am planning on shuffling off just yet !!!

It is complete Bullsh*t, a friend of mine fell from his balcony and died at view Talay last year, he was seperated from his wife in the UK, but she was still his next of kin, the embassy in Bangkok gave her a list of undertakers in the UK who deal with companies in Thailand, she contacted one who arranged his cremation here and offered to ship the remains back to the UK, so unless things have changed just make sure that your wishes are known to your family back home, another option maybe leaving your body to medical research, I knew a Thai man who died before Christmas who did this and saved his family the cost of a funeral, don't know if they want Farang bodies though?

OP did state that the rumor was no wife. Separated is not the same thing as divorced.

Perhaps its only if you have no next of kin to make a decision?

My friend who passed away some 5 years ago in Northern Thailand was cremated with the British Embassy approval in Thailand.

So I would say the above statement is not true.

Regards

JOHN

You can have a thai funeral at the local temple or you can have a western style funeral at one of the churches, couple of points, burial is extremely expensive, cremation at thai temple relatively cheap. Shipping home very expensive as you go as hold cargo and its charged as per weight.

The bottom line is you need to make your wishes known to someone close and in writing, a will is a good idea so your nominated executor can show it to the appropriate authorities, your embassy, thai authorities etc. Being married to a thai has no bearing on the disposal of your remains unless of course you nominate your partner as your executor then they follow the procedure above. Their is a company in Pattaya that will do a farang style funeral here at a cost of about 35000 baht, not sure whether thats cremation or burial. Cremation at temple is 5000 baht.

So you could have a cremation at a thai temple followed at some point with a memorial service in a christian church, this is common in Pattaya.

Hope this buries the myths.