Home Office A Bunch Of Retarded Monkeys

Being a civil servant myself and having worked on 3 seperate departments over the years i can honestly state that for the staff on the ground the training is pitiful in comparison to what it used to be.

Add to this the constant changes in legislation and it is a wonder that ANY of the staff get anything right at all.

I know in my job i will often get 5 seperate emails on one subject in a single day. Each of those emails will be giving a different message and outlining different and sometimes directly opposite procedural guidance.

Whilst i do not claim to know the people at the top, i can honestly state it is constant confusion for most of the staff who do the actual work in the offices and who make most of the decisions on individual cases, no matter what department you work in.

Much of the time it is down to political promises being forced through with little aforethought as to how it can be implemented. Immediately followed up by a change in political stance and much (but not all) of the changes being altered or removed entirely. This i presume, is happening in trhe UKBA with the changes to how Visa applications are dealt with.

It is frustrating but the people involved on the ground are doing the best job they can, with almost comical ( If it were not for the repercussions to families and indivuals lives) management and guidance.

The UKBA, previously UK BIA, previously UKIS, was swamped with money at the end of the comprehensive spending review, started by the Tories in 1997 and concluded in 2000, when the Labour government finally realised that the car accident known as bogus asylum claims had torn a gaping wound in the 1971 Immigration Act and it had to address what other countries had understood years previously i.e.that to do nothing was simply not an option.

The upshot was an exponential increase in staff, budget and investment in technology. Unfortunately, the then management structure, whilst being wise to immigration issues, was unused to management of capital projects and into the vacuum a host of fellow travelling opportunist deadbeat civil servants and ' consultants ' flooded, eager to advance their own careers and agenda which were guaranteed by a Minister, Liam Byrne, so anally retentive that Brown actually thought the prick was talented.

And what has this influx, derived from such august organisations as the DWP, Prison Service and Birmingham City Council, achieved? A simpleton organisation staffed by shiney arsed clerks supervised by superannuated self serving managers chosen out of social need, cronyism and nepotism, rather than anything approximating to talent or experience, who have constructed a bureaucracy in which the only imperative is to ensure ' all the boxes are ticked ', as if anything so complex as immigration law could be

condensed to something as simplistic as that.

Nothing new in this in civil service terms but the extent of corruption, graft and sheer abuse of public funds by a Labour government is.

Never in 30 years of employment as a civil servant in 4 departments have I ever encountered such malfeasance as that perpetrated by this wretched Labour government. What is even more dispiriting is observing the utter rubbish, unemployable practically anywhere else in the world, posing as public servants who are currently benefiting from their patronage.

Shooting one in ten could only be a start.

Absolutely bang on accurate. Unfortunately the one in ten who will get shot, as will undoubtedly happen when the full force of Gordon Brown's profligacy hits government budgets, will be those who actually deal with the public and do the work. If you don't like the waiting times now, you ain't seen nothing yet

Interesting that you consider the Civil Service to be staffed by monkeys.

As OG pointed out, it was I who said that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys. Please pay attention.

You seem to be unaware that this is a well known adage concerning the relationship between the quality of staff and the remuneration offered.

It also ties in, I think, with the title of this thread, although I wonder why you have not seen fit to comment on the OP's use of the word.

Still, as you have called lower ranked civil servants

utter rubbish, unemployable practically anywhere else in the world
others using the word 'monkeys' to describe them is not worthy of your sarcasm. Edited by 7by7

Dear 49,

Oldgit fully endorsed your comments as evidenced by his post, hence my reply. Quite clear, I would have thought.

Your implication that remuneration was responsible for the current malaise in the UKBA is as inaccurate as it was distasteful. My posts have made it quite plain that the fault lies with senior mangement and it was to them that I was so obviously referring when I concluded they were ' utter rubbish etc.' but if you are too stupid to comprehend that then it is a matter for you and not as a consequence of any lack of attention on my part.