Why Do Thais Gossip So Much?

Geekfreaklover

Over the years living in Thailand I've noticed more and more the amount of gossiping that occurrs amongst Thai people, normally between members of the female gender and usually those of an advanced age. There is nothing it seems that delights some of these people more than to spread rumours which can cause harm in the shape of family break-ups, loss of employment etc

I do realise that Thai Visa is basically a website where mostly Farang people gossip with each other about the country, but nobody for the most part knows who each other is, so no real harm done. But it seems that Thai people gossip much more than people back in my home country do. They seem to gossip with the intent purpose to lower each others social standing and by default hightening their own.

To Thais gossip alot? Or is just me? Lets gossip about gossiping!

Over the years living in Thailand I've noticed more and more the amount of gossiping that occurrs amongst Thai people, normally between members of the female gender and usually those of an advanced age. There is nothing it seems that delights some of these people more than to spread rumours which can cause harm in the shape of family break-ups, loss of employment etc

I do realise that Thai Visa is basically a website where mostly Farang people gossip with each other about the country, but nobody for the most part knows who each other is, so no real harm done. But it seems that Thai people gossip much more than people back in my home country do. They seem to gossip with the intent purpose to lower each others social standing and by default hightening their own.

I disagree! Every age every gender

Some sociology research about gossip named it cement of the society.In my experience i find it to be true.It's an international thing.So it can be said that gossip is fine except when they are gossiping about you. :) Let's have a little bit everyday,we need it!

ever seen ANY woman on a phone???? :)

Ever seen a woman off a phone.

I've seen them on the phone, in the shower.... literally "talking under water!"

and yes, I do realise that counts as gossip :D (sorry teerak)

Certain things that you can't say outright get spread through gossip. its in line with the whole, everyone knows whats going on, but pretend that they dont, everyone knows that everyone is pretending but pretends not to know.I love Thailand. for example, people talk about the lack of free speech, but nothing has to be written and printed to be spread through thai society. Its Kool.

My nephew dropped in to visit me......happened to coincide with a visit from my single good looking sister in law......we all went to a function which was next to a big farang house, reputed to be up for sale......so I took him for a walk around it...........

Gossip and rumours.........love 'em.....feed the hunger..... :)

Amongst a group of around twenty farangs that I know a certain old English gentleman's wife is obviously sleeping with another women (hot gossip), but none of us can tell him whats happening. Why? 1) He is very old and he loves her. 2) They have a family and home. Everybody knows about it apart from him. to tell him would be a terrible thing.

If you turn the situation around and he was playing away from home you can bet your wife she would know about it within seconds, through the old siam grape.

Hate to turn this into a them and us thing, but I think farangs know where to draw the line if gossiping can have a negative effect on someones life (i.e we don't let the one who is being gossied about find out). Thais go all the way and don't know when to keep quiet.

Perhaps we are just better at gossiping?

Edited by Geekfreaklover

I totally agree with you .

They dont exclude family either , which is stange really being so family orientated .

I had not been up country with my girlfriend very long before I encountered my first - but by no means last -

experience of the local gossip machine .

I was walking past the house where my girls Aunt lives and just happened to ask if anyone knew where my girl was .

Without hesitation , " she will be playing cards like she does every day " her Aunt replied .

No one is safe .

The jungle drums here spread news and gossip so fast it is hard to keep up.

Beggars belief sometimes that I am told what I have done almost before I have done it. Got to love that here :)

Some sociology research about gossip named it cement of the society.In my experience i find it to be true.It's an international thing.So it can be said that gossip is fine except when they are gossiping about you. :) Let's have a little bit everyday,we need it!

MauGR1,

I read just a little of that research finding, also, where it explained it had a useful function in helping to establish a position in society, where you stand in comparison with others. I have been planning on tracking down more of it as that overslimplified teaser was intriguing.

Why do they gossip because it is fun!

BTW, most of the posts here would rightly be construed as gossip.

A lot of valuable information interspersed with commentary, allegations, stirring, and ribald ripostes.

Good topic Geek. I've noticed it too. And not even lived here properly,yet. It seems people have to know your business. Must admit though us farangs do like a little also. Most of the time it makes me laugh because they have some cheek to ask/tell certain things. Got to love it mate.

Gossip is, of course, common everywhere, but it Thailand it is much more pervasive than most places. Other countries/regions I've lived in where gossip was a 'problem' , was because the people really didn't have a life and/or factual information wasn't available. Areas such as conflict zones are like this.

In Thailand it is everywhere and it is destructive. They gossip about people they don't know and the information changes so rapidly it's unbelievable. My best friend gets a call from his mother about once a week--she updates him on everything in the home village, including his own brothers and sisters--and she's not very kind when it comes to gossiping about her own children, either!

haha, those soaps are addictive.

gossips are everywhere, as a few had mentioned. The bad ones though that, I believe, are the results of local politic and class struggling in Thailand. It is not that easy to progress in your career, so jealousy plays a lot of parts.

But I have to say that the gossips I have heard at where I work in Australia are not any less juicy as ones you would hear in a common Thai street market. :)

Edited by agent69

Have you ever listened to Welsh women yap?

thanks op to start this topic,

OH YES they gossip a lot, its not just you,they will talk non stop with their so called phi-elder sister,younger sister,sister selling noodles,sister in bank etc etc.....sisters everywhere...............if you have noticed they also talk nonstop wth taxi driver,and before the destination the driver and pessenger will know everything about eachother.

and i wonder how the bike men knows my name and age,

must be my gossiping thai staff????????

Why do Thais eat so much Thai food? I mean, people back home don't eat this much Thai food! Someone please help me answer this fascinating question.

simple ALOY MAK KHA.............yes they can eat and gossip nonstop

and more kha and kha and kha and sisters and sisters.......................

<deleted>?

Certain things that you can't say outright get spread through gossip.

I guess in a society where it seems that it is unaccetable to confront people directly, the only option is to smile to their face, then gossip and scheme behind their backs.

I don't know if it is true or not, but I would venture that the acceptability of confrontation in a given society would be inversely related to the ammount of gossip in a society (purely anecdotal, without one iota of evidence to back this statement up).

Edited by CWMcMurray

Certain things that you can't say outright get spread through gossip.

I guess in a society where it seems that it is unaccetable to confront people directly, the only option is to smile to their face, then gossip and scheme behind their backs.

I don't know if it is true or not, but I would venture that the acceptability of confrontation in a given society would be inversely related to the ammount of gossip in a society (purely anecdotal, without one iota of evidence to back this statement up).

McMurray, I think that you have nailed it, right there. A society that can not face confrontation on a person to person basis resorts to verbal back-stabbing with the comfort that they are not directly addresing the imaginery problem.

I agree, and wish I had thought of it first.

cheers,

GFL

Why do Thais eat so much Thai food? I mean, people back home don't eat this much Thai food! Someone please help me answer this fascinating question.

Nice contribution.

Had a bad day?

BTW why is the sky blue?

Because if it was green the words of 2000 songs would have to be rewritten!!!

Did you know that I am having an affair with one of the local bar owners, came as a bit of a surprise to me, and her ...... thankfully I'm single at the moment so no real damage done to myself (it actually stopped the rumours that I am gay, which is nice)..... but it did cause a problem for her and her German husband.

Idle gossip about things that are true are one thing, making up malicious lies intending to hurt some people is another, and there are far to many people here that take great delight in that.