Thai Banks Asked To Cut Foreigners Atm Transaction Fees

george

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I tried going into the bank and withdrawing money using my card and producing my passport and withdrew 50,000 baht and was not charged anything from the Siam bank and HSBC so from now on I will just go into the bank as it will save money."

( apologies for this cross-posting to those reading the other threads, but hopefully more information will eventually lead to more enlightenment :) )

From an example in another TV thread on this subject, SCB quoted a lower exchange rate for doing an over-the-counter transaction vs. using their ATM -- whether or not other Thai banks have the same variance in their rates is unclear -- below is an example and a summary of the pertinent issues as they currently stand:

1) If you go to SCB's ATM and use a Debit Card to withdraw 20,000 Baht from a foreign account, your account will be charged a 150 Baht fee ( US $4.25 )

2) If you go to the counter in the same bank and ask for 20,000 Baht, you'll be charged an additional US $21.65 due to the difference in the Exchange Rate between the ATM and the counter.

3) If you go to a Kasikorn or Ayudhya or GSB ATM and use the same Debit Card, there won't be ANY additional charge.

How long Kasikorn and Ayudhya will continue to NOT charge the 150 Baht fee is unknown, but there is reason to suspect that GSB will remain free of the 150 Baht charge because they don't appear to be a member of the cabal that is imposing the new fee. Additionally, GSB's ATM transaction limit is 30,000 Baht -- at Kasikorn and Ayudhya the limit is 20,000

This sounds helpful...Sorry but can you give the full name for GSB Eludes me at the moment..Must be having a elderly momement..Thanks in advance

Yes its Government Savings Bank their ATM'S are bright pink, here is their website to refresh your elderly moment :D

http://www.gsb.or.th/about/ceo/index_en.php

As recently as this past weekend, I can confirm that both Bangkok Bank and Bank of Ayuthaya are NOT charging any fees for foreign card ATM withdrawals, so best to use these - at least for the time being.

Nonsense, they were the ones who started with it !

No sorry but it is you that is wrong Bank of Ayuthyah are not making any charge, not for my card anyway which is with the Nationwide Bank in the UK.

Regards David

As a foreigner it,s not possible to have a internetbankaccount but for Thai people there are. I don´t understand this. When I am outside Thailand I can not look at my account on internet. I can´t make payment to people or company from my bankaccount when I am abroad. This is bad service from Thai Banks.

not true, I have internet banking at SCB and Kasikorn......

Kasikorn is better. I also have an online card (no tangible card, but all the details and no's to do online transactions), very handy.

Yep - I've got full internet banking in English, (easy navigation and better functionality than most UK or European banks), with Krung Thai Bank and Bangkok Bank - KT set-up in Phetchabun, BKK in Chiang Mai.

It helps if you have a Thai friend with you as in Phetchabun where no one speaks English and in CM there are many English speaking managers who deal with farangs every day and know the ropes.

It is easy to use, secure, and very fast on broadband.

I can pay bills, set-up standing orders and transfer money to the many different bank accounts my bf has - just like that! And he knows it, of course!!

The fees are minimal ranging from about 10 to 25 baht a throw.

As recently as this past weekend, I can confirm that both Bangkok Bank and Bank of Ayuthaya are NOT charging any fees for foreign card ATM withdrawals, so best to use these - at least for the time being.

Actually, in my experience this is 1/2 right. Bangkok Bank here in Pattaya prompted me for the fee. I've been using Krungsri (Ayuthaya) Bank's yellow ATMs in several locations around Pattaya since this fee went into effect, and have yet to be charged the 150 baht.

I actually tested several ATMs at the new mall on Beach Road in Pattaya this weekend on the "bank" floor (several banks next to each other)

Was prompted for 150 baht fee at: Siam Commercial Bank, Bangkok Bank, Thaichanart (sp) Bank.

Was not prompted - nor was I charged a fee at: Krungsri (Ayuthaya) or Kasikorn Bank. Cards used were an eTrade bank ATM card, and a WAMU (Washington Mutual) card. No fee charged on the back end so far (except for WAMU's standard 1% foreign exchange fee) according to my online statements.

Having said that, I have a friend who says he was charged the fee by a Krungsri ATM using his BofA ATM card. So it seems somewhat random so far.

"I tried going into the bank and withdrawing money using my card and producing my passport and withdrew 50,000 baht and was not charged anything from the Siam bank and HSBC so from now on I will just go into the bank as it will save money."

( apologies for this cross-posting to those reading the other threads, but hopefully more information will eventually lead to more enlightenment :) )

From an example in another TV thread on this subject, SCB quoted a lower exchange rate for doing an over-the-counter transaction vs. using their ATM -- whether or not other Thai banks have the same variance in their rates is unclear -- below is an example and a summary of the pertinent issues as they currently stand:

1) If you go to SCB's ATM and use a Debit Card to withdraw 20,000 Baht from a foreign account, your account will be charged a 150 Baht fee ( US $4.25 )

2) If you go to the counter in the same bank and ask for 20,000 Baht, you'll be charged an additional US $21.65 due to the difference in the Exchange Rate between the ATM and the counter.

3) If you go to a Kasikorn or Ayudhya or GSB ATM and use the same Debit Card, there won't be ANY additional charge.

How long Kasikorn and Ayudhya will continue to NOT charge the 150 Baht fee is unknown, but there is reason to suspect that GSB will remain free of the 150 Baht charge because they don't appear to be a member of the cabal that is imposing the new fee. Additionally, GSB's ATM transaction limit is 30,000 Baht -- at Kasikorn and Ayudhya the limit is 20,000

NEVER GOT CHARGED FROM SIAM OR THE HSBC HOPE THIS IS ENOUGHT ENLIGHTENMENT FOR YOU.

No sorry but it is you that is wrong Bank of Ayuthyah are not making any charge, not for my card anyway which is with the Nationwide Bank in the UK.

Regards David

Just been in to the Bangkok Bank branch in the main shopping centre here in Chiang Mai and at the Currency Exchange desk used my Barclays Visa Debit Card to take out 30,000 baht - it cost me nothing. Sure Barclays will charge me - usual UK bank rip-off amount but please leave the Thai banks out of it. They are either free or very, very cheap in comparison. What nonsense you guys post on here - get real.

"Wells Fargo in America charges a ATM fee, International Currency Fee and some other crap"

If you're from the U.S. and have a U.S. address, phone number, and driver's license ( or have a friend there who will allow you to use his ), one option for avoiding ANY and ALL charges in transferring funds, as well as receiving the best possible current Exchange Rate, is opening an E-Trade Checking Account with a free Visa Debit Card.

You can get the funds from any ATM anywhere in the world in the local currency. An Account can be opened on-line and also be managed on-line from anywhere in the world.

I've lived in Siam for almost 5 years-- I transfer funds about twice a month and have NEVER paid even one baht in fees of any type.

There are probably other banks or credit unions that offer no-fee transfers also.

https://us.etrade.com/e/t/welcome/maxratechecking

"can you give the full name for GSB Eludes me at the moment"

GOVERNMENT SAVINGS BANK

http://www.gsb.or.th/about/ceo/index_en.php

The three big Pariahs of the world are Lawyers, Insurance companies and Banks - we all deposit millions into these institutions - do they gratefully appreciate that we trust them to look after our money - giving them funds to play with - No way what they do is to look for any opportunity to charge us for lending THEM our money. Over the last 30 years the technology has seen a revolution - unfortunately the banking industry have simply looked at how it makes life easier for them rather than their customers. They like to keep all the inconveniences of the paper banking days just to convince us that we should still be charged. Thai banks are no different to any others and I would ask why UK banks

- Why does it take up to 5 working days for a payment made on line to reach the recipients bank - when in reality this could happen in as many minutes! They will say it is to prevent money laundering ahem I am sorry but when I send about 2-3 payments a week most of which are for less than £50, and when I have been their customer for 14 years- exactly what suggests that I might be money laundering.

- I send emails to Thailand which cost me no more than sending an email to my next door neighbour - therefore it shouldnt cost any MORE to send £200 to Thailand than it would to send it to someone in the UK and yet I am likely to be charged anything from £10 -£20 per transaction.

- Why arent things like direct debits, standing orders worldwide things so that you can set up regular payments to people abroad

- Why does it cost them £12 to send an automated notice that you are overdrawn (or missed a credit card payment) - why dont the send you an email free of charge instead - if I miss a payment or go overdrawn I already pay exhorbitant interest on it so what possible excuse is there for these kind of penalty charges

Frankly I dont single out Thai Banks because they charge a bit more than someone else - I accuse them all - American, British, European of finding any excuse they can to fleece their customers. The ironic thing is that they manage all OUR money so badly that they are the principal cause of the current recession!

Excellent POST true and to the point! Its about time the Banks realised we are not fools anymore but as individuasl we have no clout other than moving our business to another bank which has a slightly better offer... but we don't because we are too lazy and have been brainwashed into thinking its too hard..Its not I will be moving from HSBC to lloyds because they offer a better savings rate!! Well I think i will........................................maybe...Ok will have a beer and think about it...

NEVER GOT CHARGED FROM SIAM OR THE HSBC HOPE THIS IS ENOUGHT ENLIGHTENMENT FOR YOU.

Siam charged me 150 baht yesterday!!!! No the hSBC do not charged back in the UK if you pay them 12.95 GBP a month

Fok 'em the greedy bastards! It was just a matter of time before this bank scam came to Thailand. US banks started doing this to their customers years ago, charging anywhere from US$2-5 for 'out of network' ATM withdrawals that cost the banks pennies.

US banks already charge their customers international service fees for cash withdrawals from foreign ATM's so it would seem that now the Thai banks are double dipping... :)

I'm doing everything by international wire transfer until this bs is sorted out. Sure there's a wire fee, but it's a flat fee so if you send over large amounts it does save you money and you can avoid paying this ridiculous fee to the greedy Thai banks.

Just had my daughter wire me $US10,000 .They can shove that 150 baht where the sun never shines too.

Pay attention...I'll only say this once!

When you transfer your money from your country of official residence, transfer it in the original currency into your Thai account, where the bank will gladly change into Thai Baht. The money will arrive within 24 hours.....You only pay the initial transfer cost usually $20-$30 regardless of the amount! Then you can take the Thai Baht out of any ATM and only pay the ฿20 standard fee! On the upside, your money is changed at the T\T rate (which is the best you can get!). OK? :):D:D

I used at least six different ATMS around Bangkok last week and all of them charged the 150 baht and I could only take out 10,000 baht at a time ,on 1 machine it said it could only dispense 10 bills per transaction 10 x 1000 = 10,000

It doubled my atm fees because i usualy take out 20 000 at a time

Why are some members able to take out more then 10 000 at a time? I used to be able to last year but not now

Regards David

Just been in to the Bangkok Bank branch in the main shopping centre here in Chiang Mai and at the Currency Exchange desk used my Barclays Visa Debit Card to take out 30,000 baht - it cost me nothing. Sure Barclays will charge me - usual UK bank rip-off amount but please leave the Thai banks out of it. They are either free or very, very cheap in comparison. What nonsense you guys post on here - get real.

I'll second that as I stated earlier I done the same at the Siam in Pattaya and got charged 0 baht for my transfer with my HSBC card and my passport, if I was charged it must have been hiden but somehow don't think so. My exchange rate was 50.7 to the £ which was very close to the rate on that day.

A friend of mine works for VISA in the U.S. According to him, when a vendor has a VISA terminal in their store, it is a violation of contract to charge more for credit/debit card transactions than for cash. Everyone does it though in Asia, I guess the banks thought they would climb on board that gravy train too...

This is slightly off topic, BUT...

I can confirm (as an ex-retailer) that it is a crucial and seriously taken part of International Visa and MasterCards contracts.. actually ALL Credit Cards have this Crucial clause in ALL Contracts, with ALL dealers that are licensed to accept their cards... which is an obligation on the part of the retailer, hotel, restaurant, etc.

The Acceptance and USE of their (Visa M/C, AmEx, etc) cards are a Crucial part of their business model. IF people are not allowed to use their cards, then the card companies lose the opportunity to realize a part of the Transaction.. If that is allowed how can the Card company make any income.

In actual fact, ALL Contracts say that if the Card is refused, for any amount (including as little as 1 baht) and the fact is reported to them, the offending retailer WILL lose their right to take that card.

Cards charge variable rates to their customers to allow the Cards use. the rates are depended on BOTH Total transaction value, AND the AVERAGE Individual Transaction Value... meaning that if you only accept the card for a minimum purchase the average transaction value will be HIGHER, but a low transaction included in the mix will bring the average daily transactions DOWN and thereby... RAISE the Average Transaction Fee on all Transactions of that Day, ultimately leading to a higher fee charged to the Retailer by the Issuing card bank for that Day's sales. The fee charged by the Card company to the indivdual card holder/user is not effected by this. Therefore it is not in the Retailers interest to take any card for a small sale.... But it is Crucial to the Banks.

I now use only Thai issued Credit Cards and I can ASSURE you, that I use it for Transactions of ALL Sizes, even when under their (retailers) stated minimum... especially if that minimum is not prominantly posted on the cash AND Menu (another Consumer Protection Infraction).. and if they refuse to take it...

FIRST. stop talking to the Waiter/Salesperson and immediately demand a Manager....

Second, Let them know forcefully and with determination in your voice, but still Politely, that you WILL, absolutely, notify the Credit Card company that your card was refused because of a minimum purchase limit placed on it... Let the Manager know that you are 100% familiar with this clause in their Contract.

Third... HOLD FIRM against all their pleading, grovelling, etc... The Managers per standard Thai style under-training are not usually familiar with this contractual obligation, but when they call their Head Office they will be instructed to back off. They, of course, don't want to have to call Head Offfice about this ... and Lose 'Face'.... But You will have your card accepted in the end. (and, NO.. I have never had any subsequent charges tacked on in revenge.. I think they are too worried that I would check.)

Fourth, this is also true for smaller 'Mom & Pop' operations.

Getting ripped off by the people I do business with in this country is part of the Cost of Living here... But this is one place where I/YOU actually are in the right, and Hold the Power.

BTW.. back on Topic... 10 Years ago when I still lived in the USA, Fleet Bank used to tack on a $5.00 International ATM Fee. (only $1.50 for using an ATM from a Non-Fleet Bank in USA).. learned quickly not to use it for small withdrawals. My other bank ATM only charged $1.50 Internationaly.

Enjoy,

CS

Regards David

If your so smart & think all TV post's are nonsense then tell me why you bank with a shit bank like Barclay's whom charge the most for overseas use of a debit card in the whole of the UK.

Around £8 per £300 drawn :D

If you had read some interesting post's on here you would now be the proud owner of a Nationwide cash card/debit card which gives you total free access to your hard earned money, maybe you just like to keep the guys in Bowler hats a Barclay's well fed i'm happy for you to give so much charity money to an hard up British bank good on ya mate :)

"Just been in to the Bangkok Bank branch in the main shopping centre here in Chiang Mai and at the Currency Exchange desk used my Barclays Visa Debit Card to take out 30,000 baht - it cost me nothing. . . . please leave the Thai banks out of it. They are either free or very, very cheap in comparison. What nonsense you guys post on here - get real."

You should post the Exchange Rate that Bangkok Bank gave you -- you might find that you've been charged considerably more than you think, based on the rate difference between the counter and the ATM.

Based on all of the posting on this subject in three TV threads, it is still not clear whether all banks are using the two different Exchange Rates, but if you had done the transaction at SCB, you would have paid around an additional US$ 32.48 ( sorry, don't know the GBP conversion ) for the "privilege" of using SCB's counter vs. their ATM

Edited by SurfTrader

Regards David

Sounds like a good option,never had to think about this before because the ATM withdrawells were free...Do you do this all the time and do you check your statements? Sounds too good and easy to be true..Will give it a go tomorrow....

Just a note about getting money from the UK to Thailand as cheaply as possible, on a regular basis: I use Currencies Direct. They are a reputable, fully regulated money trading company. You have to set-up a monthly or quarterly direct debit from your UK current acct for any amount over £500 a month and it costs zilch. No hidden charges at all. They make their money by buying and selling currencies - that's their sole business. You will get the money market commercial RofE at the time they undertake the transaction. It is far better than any UK bank will give you and those banks will also charge you a fee of at least £25 a throw- what a rip-off!

I have been using them on recommendation of a an ex-workmate who was using it to remit money from UK to South Africa.

I have found them totally reliable and the money arrives in my Thai acct within 4 working days, without fail.

The Thai bank will make a charge when it is credited - mine charges me 165baht - still a lot cheaper than the other methods you guys talk about on here and saves the hassle of using ATM's or wire transfers, which are a lot more costly and inconvenient.

I have changed the direct debit amount several times using e-mails to Currencies Direct, with no problems.

You will need to tell them the Swift or IBAN code of your Thai acct, in addition to your name and account number, but your ever-friendly Thai bank manager will provide this for you at no extra cost!

Good luck - give it a whirl. David C. (No - I am not on commission!)

Pay attention...I'll only say this once!

When you transfer your money from your country of official residence, transfer it in the original currency into your Thai account, where the bank will gladly change into Thai Baht. The money will arrive within 24 hours.....You only pay the initial transfer cost usually $20-$30 regardless of the amount! Then you can take the Thai Baht out of any ATM and only pay the ฿20 standard fee! On the upside, your money is changed at the T\T rate (which is the best you can get!). OK? :):D:D

So your saying that I can't access the money for 24 hours if you transfer from country of residence? If you take the money out of the bank you transfer it into say the Siam bank, if you withdraw from there ATM's you DON'T pay the 20 baht charge only if withdrawn from another bank i.e. Kasakorn or am I wrong again :D

A friend of mine works for VISA in the U.S. According to him, when a vendor has a VISA terminal in their store, it is a violation of contract to charge more for credit/debit card transactions than for cash. Everyone does it though in Asia, I guess the banks thought they would climb on board that gravy train too...

This is slightly off topic, BUT...

I can confirm (as an ex-retailer) that it is a crucial and seriously taken part of International Visa and MasterCards contracts.. actually ALL Credit Cards have this Crucial clause in ALL Contracts, with ALL dealers that are licensed to accept their cards... which is an obligation on the part of the retailer, hotel, restaurant, etc.

The Acceptance and USE of their (Visa M/C, AmEx, etc) cards are a Crucial part of their business model. IF people are not allowed to use their cards, then the card companies lose the opportunity to realize a part of the Transaction.. If that is allowed how can the Card company make any income.

In actual fact, ALL Contracts say that if the Card is refused, for any amount (including as little as 1 baht) and the fact is reported to them, the offending retailer WILL lose their right to take that card.

Cards charge variable rates to their customers to allow the Cards use. the rates are depended on BOTH Total transaction value, AND the AVERAGE Individual Transaction Value... meaning that if you only accept the card for a minimum purchase the average transaction value will be HIGHER, but a low transaction included in the mix will bring the average daily transactions DOWN and thereby... RAISE the Average Transaction Fee on all Transactions of that Day, ultimately leading to a higher fee charged to the Retailer by the Issuing card bank for that Day's sales. The fee charged by the Card company to the indivdual card holder/user is not effected by this. Therefore it is not in the Retailers interest to take any card for a small sale.... But it is Crucial to the Banks.

I now use only Thai issued Credit Cards and I can ASSURE you, that I use it for Transactions of ALL Sizes, even when under their (retailers) stated minimum... especially if that minimum is not prominantly posted on the cash AND Menu (another Consumer Protection Infraction).. and if they refuse to take it...

FIRST. stop talking to the Waiter/Salesperson and immediately demand a Manager....

Second, Let them know forcefully and with determination in your voice, but still Politely, that you WILL, absolutely, notify the Credit Card company that your card was refused because of a minimum purchase limit placed on it... Let the Manager know that you are 100% familiar with this clause in their Contract.

Third... HOLD FIRM against all their pleading, grovelling, etc... The Managers per standard Thai style under-training are not usually familiar with this contractual obligation, but when they call their Head Office they will be instructed to back off. They, of course, don't want to have to call Head Offfice about this ... and Lose 'Face'.... But You will have your card accepted in the end. (and, NO.. I have never had any subsequent charges tacked on in revenge.. I think they are too worried that I would check.)

Fourth, this is also true for smaller 'Mom & Pop' operations.

Getting ripped off by the people I do business with in this country is part of the Cost of Living here... But this is one place where I/YOU actually are in the right, and Hold the Power.

BTW.. back on Topic... 10 Years ago when I still lived in the USA, Fleet Bank used to tack on a $5.00 International ATM Fee. (only $1.50 for using an ATM from a Non-Fleet Bank in USA).. learned quickly not to use it for small withdrawals. My other bank ATM only charged $1.50 Internationaly.

Enjoy,

CS

I get 6 UDS 1,000 VISA ATM DEBIT transaction for free each month with my Credit Union ,no monthly fee, no International fee,no yearly fee......Cascade Credit Union in the STATE ofWashington

does this apply to maestro card also or it's still free of charge from the thai side?

in belgium, we all know (to be charged the less) mastercard and visa are used to make payment while maestro/cirrus cards are used to withdraw money.

Could this be because most of the banks here in the LOS are family-owned? They might not be getting enough for their own bank accounts or to make themselves look richer.

Here is what I do to cut all that crap out. You can do this if you have a Thai bank account. I have a Siam Commercial Bank account. I setup a Paypal account noting the country as Thailand during the setup. I added my Siam Commercial Bank account to it. It was listed as a bank in the drop down. I also have an American Paypal so what I do is transfer money from my Paypal American account to my Paypal Thailand account. If i do over 5000 baht there is no fee otherwise it's 50 baht. It takes about 7 days to transfer the money but I pay NOTHING. Even when I paypal myself to the Thailand Paypal, they take nothing. Then the money hits my SCB account. I know it might seem like a lot of steps but honestly it takes me 1 minute to do the transfer and I just wait. This is how I pay my rent and get my money here in Thailand because Wells Fargo in America charges a ATM fee, International Currency Fee and some other crap. So, i don't get charged all the fees. The only drawback could be the exchange rate on the baht but it's fairly decent right now.

Good for you, and that's what we all should be doing...look for a better way instead of complaining about the bad way. For the time it takes to whine about how much you have to oay in fees, you could research how to get your money with less fees. ALL WAYS try to improve !!

mario299

I used at least six different ATMS around Bangkok last week and all of them charged the 150 baht and I could only take out 10,000 baht at a time ,on 1 machine it said it could only dispense 10 bills per transaction 10 x 1000 = 10,000

It doubled my atm fees because i usualy take out 20 000 at a time

Why are some members able to take out more then 10 000 at a time? I used to be able to last year but not now

What's the maximum daily withdrawal limit set by your home bank if its an English card & its set at £200 theirs your problem as the rate of exchange as dropped by a third in the past year.

Well, Visa issued a statement, that they did not initiate anything new and that they are negotiating with Thai banks to cancel this stupid 150 THB fee. It is just another way to suck some money from those farangs. Now I have to go to a life tenner, line up with all those customers and get my Visa cash into my Thai account. You can get 20.000THB at max out of those ATMs with +150THB each, so this will lead to another +pan bath every month in LOS...

Time to move to Laos :)

Ralf

Yes- it is true that a merchant should not charge anything to the customer for using a credit card. Contract agreement between merchant and credit card terminal company says that when a merchant applies for a credit card terminal that a merchant can lose their ability to accept cards if they do. Policy and reality are two different things. I am in business and accept credit cards. I do not charge more to the customer for their using a credit card but I have encountered the same issue myself and reported it to my cardservice provider but they do nothing to stop it. If the customer agrees to it then no one knows. The bank wants merchants to accept the cards because it is good for the banks business but if they cut off the merchant it is bad for their business. They earn money from the merchant because they charge anywhere from 2% to 4% to the merchant when they settle the batch. I take $100 business in credit cards but get only $98 or $96 in my account. The bank charges their customer, the card holder, exhorbitant interest rates if they do not pay their entire bill when due. Good business for the banks.

wooohoooo - :-))))))

Is it true that some banks still don't charge now? ??

I've stopped using my regular bank, Siam Commercial Bank, for foreign account ATM withdrawals, as I refuse to pay the Baht 150 per transaction fee - ontop of my own bank's transaction fee (apprx Baht 100), especially when the ATM withdrawal is limited to a max of only Baht 20,000. Siam Commercial Bank previously had a fe of Baht 20, which for conveniences sake I could live with, but not Baht 150!!! Too much, particularly when you think that there's also a foreign exchange margin there in the transaction too!

I have already protested to the manager of my local Siam Commercial Bank, which was met with the expected response that it was head office etc etc. But I asked that at least this be reported back to their head office.

As recently as this past weekend, I can confirm that both Bangkok Bank and Bank of Ayuthaya are NOT charging any fees for foreign card ATM withdrawals, so best to use these - at least for the time being. Am not sure about other banks?

I didn't know that Thai Banks charge anything when withdrawing money with a foreign ATM card. But I know that Swiss Banks charge me when withdrawing money at a Swiss ATM with a Thai ATM card. I have never heard anybody in Switzeland yelling at the banks for this.

Guess it is just usual business, but when Thais charge, we complain, when other countries do the same we accept.

I repeat that I have used both these banks over the past few days and neither charged me any fee whatsoever. Verified by also viewing my online bank account.

All I can think of is that here up north, many ATM machines are not exactly the most modern & latest types and perhaps these old ATM machines are incapable of displaying any warning message about a Baht 150 fee (as did the Siam Commercial Bank ATM I tried - which was a modern one) and thus the bank doesn't levy a charge?

I use the Bank for ATM withdrawals everyday, I can 100% confirm that Bangkok Bank ARE charging the 150bt fee and Kassikorn are NOT, this is in the Bangkok Met area.

I repeat that I have used both these banks over the past few days and neither charged me any fee whatsoever. Verified by also viewing my online bank account.

All I can think of is that here up north, many ATM machines are not exactly the most modern & latest types and perhaps these old ATM machines are incapable of displaying any warning message about a Baht 150 fee (as did the Siam Commercial Bank ATM I tried - which was a modern one) and thus the bank doesn't levy a charge?

I use the Bank for ATM withdrawals everyday, I can 100% confirm that Bangkok Bank ARE charging the 150bt fee and Kassikorn are NOT, this is in the Bangkok Met area.

Sounds like this whole thing affects only those Intelligentlemen who want to live in Thailand without having a single Baht in a Thai Bank account. I say: charge them, no problem!

Sounds like this whole thing affects only those Intelligentlemen who want to live in Thailand without having a single Baht in a Thai Bank account. I say: charge them, no problem!

Well brainbox, when you are paid from the UK in GBP, we really don't have much choice now do we.....unless you can convince the contracting company in the UK to pay me in Thai baht straight into a Thai bank account at a decent enough exchange rate, Yep pretty sure they would go for that. :)