Best Kow Pat In Chiang Mai

IanForbes

With all the best burgers, best pizzas, best steak topics you guys post I thought I'd jerk your chain and post the best Thai food.. :):D

Kow Pat gung, Kow Pat gai, Kow Pat moo; I live on that stuff when I'm in Thailand. I haven't seen much difference between the street cafes and the restaurants when ordering Kow Pat, except I usually get more in the street cafe and it costs half as much. It's usually between 25 and 30 baht a plate, and some little cafes offer a bowl of consome soup as well. It's tastey and it's filling. The other thing I noticed is in Phuket they charge me 100 baht for what I pay 25 to 30 baht in Chiang Mai. The little street cafes don't charge me for the water either.

Kow_Pat_1.sized.jpg

Kow_Pat_2.sized.jpg

Kow_Pat_5.sized.jpg

Kow_Pat_served.sized.jpg

Crab Fried Rice at Daret's Guesthouse is very tasty. (Seriously; it's probably among the better ones in Chiang Mai) Washed down with one of their fruit shakes..

Second one.. Im Pla Phao.. Same dish, crab fried rice. The key thing there however is that their spicy-salty-soury dipping sauce that they serve with their grilled fish is just PERFECT to go with the fried rice.

The other thing I noticed is in Phuket they charge me ...

Repeat 100 times:

PHUKET IS A PROVINCE!

Just about anywhere outside of Patong and the resort beaches it's around 30 baht just the same.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Yot Aroy made some fine fried rice and many other delicious dishes but it is no longer where I have found it before just north of the Shangri-La Hotel. Doubt if they went out of business, does anyone know where they are located now?

Kow Pat Gai........Mai Sai Kai for me :)

Like you said the street is the best usually but..............

You know the bottom of airport plaza? All the stalls down there?

The one called boiled rice kitchen....mmmmmmmmm good

30 baht too but for 10 baht more I sometimes have gaproa moo pet กะเพราหมูเผ็ด

(spicey gound pork) on the side with it...Wow Man 40 baht & that is a meal !

The two girls there would just laugh when they saw me because they knew that

I would just order that......again

Edited by flying

Kow Pat Gai........Mai Sai Kai for me :D

I went to the airport plaza once. I got lost and it took me a week to find my way out. :)

Including the time you invested in taking pictures of the fish in the big tank there?

Thought he was trying to find a way to get a fishook into it.

Well at least it is a family oriented fishbowl.

Edited by harrry

Kow Pat Gai........Mai Sai Kai for me :)

The one called boiled rice kitchen....mmmmmmmmm good

30 baht too but for 10 baht more I sometimes have gaproa moo pet กะเพราหมูเผ็ด

(spicey gound pork) on the side with it...Wow Man 40 baht & that is a meal !

The two girls there would just laugh when they saw me because they knew that

I would just order that......again

Kad Luang Airport I believe is the official name for it. We have been going there often recently and there are some really great little places to eat for little money down there.

Kad Luang Airport I believe is the official name for it. We have been going there often recently and there are some really great little places to eat for little money down there.

Yup the prices are all like street vendors & lots of choices too.

Noodle shops are good too.....

Including the time you invested in taking pictures of the fish in the big tank there?

Yah got me there, Winnie. :):D:D

But with that big curved window in the tank and the reflections off the glass it is hard to take a good photo. I have better luck with my underwater camera while snorkling or fishing.

Now, back to the good, cheap food issue; I also like rotees. They make a great dessert and it's fun to watch them prepare the dough. As a regular customer the gal allowed me to try it a couple of times and I certainly made a mess of it. We all had a good laugh though.

Rotee_1.sized.jpg

Rotee_3.sized.jpg

Rotee_2.sized.jpg

cowpat.JPG

Cow Pat??

:)

Good one, Silentbob. Yah, that is what all my Canadian friends think when I mention Kow pat. We all get a laugh every time I mention it. Hey, but those "buffalo chips" used to make most of the cooking fires on the prairies when they were dried out. There is little else that would burn where there is nothing but grass.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier just to say 'fried rice'? Not exactly a dish unknown in the Western world.

True, but I've never tasted fried rice in the Western world restaurants as good as the street cafes in Thailand. And, I don't recall ever seeing it on any restaurant recipes... unless it was given some French name so they could charge more. I seldom eat Thai food in Western restaurants because it kind of bothers me to pay $10 to $14 for something I pay a dollar for in Chiang Mai.

I'm a pretty good cook myself and a Kow Pat is pretty easy to make, but because I don't have the same spices mine don't taste the same. My food is good and tastey, but just hasn't the same flavour. The same goes for my Pad Thai noodle dish, Kai Yad Sai omellets and stir fry veggies. It's good but not the same.

One thing I do much better than the Thais is cook fish. I don't like the common way the Thais just barbeque the fish whole, with just a few slices along the side to let out the steam. Most Thai fish have little or no flavour.

Now, back to the good, cheap food issue; I also like rotees. They make a great dessert and it's fun to watch them prepare the dough. As a regular customer the gal allowed me to try it a couple of times and I certainly made a mess of it. We all had a good laugh though.

Rotee_2.sized.jpg

Wow you have hit on two of my Favs

Kow Pat & Rotee...banana rotee!

But mine has never had those black lines? What is that?

Dang.... Pom Hew Mak Mak again!

Edit..OH is that chocolate on top?

Edited by flying

With all the best burgers, best pizzas, best steak topics you guys post I thought I'd jerk your chain and post the best Thai food.. :D:D

Kow Pat gung, Kow Pat gai, Kow Pat moo; I live on that stuff when I'm in Thailand. I haven't seen much difference between the street cafes and the restaurants when ordering Kow Pat, except I usually get more in the street cafe and it costs half as much. It's usually between 25 and 30 baht a plate, and some little cafes offer a bowl of consome soup as well. It's tastey and it's filling. The other thing I noticed is in Phuket they charge me 100 baht for what I pay 25 to 30 baht in Chiang Mai. The little street cafes don't charge me for the water either.

Kow_Pat_1.sized.jpg

Kow_Pat_2.sized.jpg

Kow_Pat_5.sized.jpg

Kow_Pat_served.sized.jpg

thanks for being brave and fighting the JUNK FOOD CROWD, but as you are talking about Chiang Mai, shouldn't it be rather KHAO SOY than KHAO PAD ?

:)

Two place tie for best; Daret's Guest House in Chiang Mai, and the restaurant at the Sai Nam Phung Orchid Nursery in Mae Rim. Daret's is 5 baht cheaper, but the nursery has it with Chiang Mai sausage... Fantastic!

Khao Phad is pure junk food, loaded with fat and salt and MSG and then fried in palm oil which is about the worst cooking oil you can eat. I never touch the stuff.

Quite possibly so, Electrified, but all I know is I lose about 15 pounds over the 5 months I spend in Thailand eating Thai food, and put it back on with my own cooking in Canada. And, I eat GOOD food in Canada: fresh or canned salmon (can it myself) stir fry veggies, roast chicken, great pasta casseroles and lean venison or lean ground beef. I also eat lots of fruit. Occasionally I will eat a burger, but certainly not more than one per week. I seldom eat fries or potatoes at home, but will sometimes eat them when I go out for fish and chips. It is the same with pizza. I eat them occasionally, but seldom more than once every month. I think it is the pasta that fattens me up at home... and bread. I love bread... too much.

Khao Phad is pure junk food, loaded with fat and salt and MSG and then fried in palm oil which is about the worst cooking oil you can eat. I never touch the stuff.

Many restaurants prepare it without palm oil or MSG and many others will if you simply ask. You can even get it without salt or fish sauce and cooked in healthy virgin olive oil with fresh vegetables of your choice. It is great stuff.

Many restaurants prepare it without palm oil or MSG and many others will if you simply ask. You can even get it without salt or fish sauce and cooked in healthy virgin olive oil with fresh vegetables of your choice. It is great stuff.

If I could get it prepared like that; especially cooked with virgin olive oil, I would order it.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier just to say 'fried rice'? Not exactly a dish unknown in the Western world.

True, but I've never tasted fried rice in the Western world restaurants as good as the street cafes in Thailand. And, I don't recall ever seeing it on any restaurant recipes... unless it was given some French name so they could charge more. I seldom eat Thai food in Western restaurants because it kind of bothers me to pay $10 to $14 for something I pay a dollar for in Chiang Mai.

I'm a pretty good cook myself and a Kow Pat is pretty easy to make, but because I don't have the same spices mine don't taste the same. My food is good and tastey, but just hasn't the same flavour. The same goes for my Pad Thai noodle dish, Kai Yad Sai omellets and stir fry veggies. It's good but not the same.

One thing I do much better than the Thais is cook fish. I don't like the common way the Thais just barbeque the fish whole, with just a few slices along the side to let out the steam. Most Thai fish have little or no flavour.

'Might be becausew here they use Castrol to prepare ity where in the western world they might use vegetable oil.

Khao Phad is pure junk food, loaded with fat and salt and MSG and then fried in palm oil which is about the worst cooking oil you can eat.

Well there's always lard. :) It's not THE worst.

I think that (hydrogenated ) palm oil IS the worst (trans-fats). :D