Best Kow Pat In Chiang Mai

IanForbes

Khao Phad is pure junk food, loaded with fat and salt and MSG and then fried in palm oil which is about the worst cooking oil you can eat.

Well there's always lard. :) It's not THE worst.

I think that (hydrogenated ) palm oil IS the worst (trans-fats). :D

Coconut oil has more saturated fats than animal products. You dont see many use it often for cooking but, you do see it on many ingrediant labels.

Palm and coconut oils both make me feel very sick to my stomach. If I palm oil is used in cooking Thai foods for me and I don't know about it, then I will for sure know about it the next day because my face will break out like a teenager! It happens every time. That is why I avoid eating Khao Phad and all other fried foods. Also, like UG remarked, the fat and cholesterol content in those oils is as high as they get.

Palm and coconut oils both make me feel very sick to my stomach. If I palm oil is used in cooking Thai foods for me and I don't know about it, then I will for sure know about it the next day because my face will break out like a teenager! It happens every time. That is why I avoid eating Khao Phad and all other fried foods. Also, like UG remarked, the fat and cholesterol content in those oils is as high as they get.

That is one reason why I switched from eating Pad Thai to eating Khao Pad... too much fat in the noodles. In the places where I eat Khao Pad (Kow Pat) all they do is stir fry some chopped pork before adding the veggies, rice and egg. There is enough fat in the pork to grease the wok. Just about all Thai food is prepared in a wok and they need some oil or grease to keep things from sticking. Too much and things get soggy. I cook almost all my meals at home in a wok and know what works and what doesn't.

My Kai yad sai takes only a slight bit of grease to keep the eggs from sticking. Too much and the eggs won't form a thin layer around the pan. They'll just slide around in a lump.

Omelette_3_Em.sized.jpg

Palm and coconut oils both make me feel very sick to my stomach. If I palm oil is used in cooking Thai foods for me and I don't know about it, then I will for sure know about it the next day because my face will break out like a teenager! It happens every time. That is why I avoid eating Khao Phad and all other fried foods.

So what (and where) exactly do you eat, if you don't mind me asking?