3 Thais Killed, 1 Swedish Woman Injured In Shootings Near Khao San Rd

Oberkommando

There's an old cliche about "lies, dam_n lies and statistics".

Personal experience. I like to walk around places I visit. In my 2 years in Bangkok, I spent 700+ hours walking around the city, frequently alone, often at ungodly hours, and sometimes in ungodly places (e.g. train track between Phetburi and Sukhumwit), but usually not both. Not once did I even feel threatened or uneasy, let along experience any sort of violence. For a big city, this is remarkable.

For comparison, I probably spent a total of ~50 hours walking in San Francisco, and got assaulted by a panhandler (managed to run away) ~9 pm near the downtown. There was also the "I should get out of here" feeling quite often. This in one of the wealthiest, best-run and safest American cities.

Of course, personal experience proves nothing, but the statistic about Thais murdering each other due to passion and unsettled business has nothing at all to do with average foreigner's safety. Note how a huge number of Farang spend a lot of time in less-then-salubrious places (lower Sukhumwit RLD at night) -- equivalent places in the west have a *much* higher crime rate.

So 1 incident in SF made you perpetually nervous there. 0 incidents in BKK made you feel perpetually safe there. I wonder what would happen if you experienced an incident in BKK? And it would only take 1 for you to start believing the stats.

Perception is everything. I have spent time in Chicago, New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco and of course Bangkok.I did not go to the bad side of town in any of these cities. Bangkok is the only city that i have been mugged in. It happened when I was coming out of a Best Western Hotel.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything better for this story in English? It will probably come sooner or later.

Another blow to tourism..........what was that song they were playing when the Titanic went down?

:)

Such tragic events happen not only in Thailand and I can not see why it is a blow for tourism.

Crime takes place everywhere in the world.

Agree wholeheartedly. Maybe it is time to start a 'USvisa.com' which can serve as a forum to discuss the openness of their immigration procedures and its crime-free status.... :D

FREDKROKET wrote "You never cease to amaze me with your comments geriatrickid. OK so this poor Swedish girl in the prime of her life got involved in a domestic and ended up with a raw deal.

I would suggest that many people from Europe visiting Thailand for the first, second or even third time are not so aware of the terrible gun culture this country has and this girl sadly and rather naively got in the middle of the fracass.

I'm sure that if the commotion had been that serious fellow Thais would have got involved, or would they? They know to stay away, but unfortunately when you read a do's and dont's section of Thai culture in a travel guide all it tells you is not to show the soles of your feet or touch anyone on the head, not don't get involved in Thai on Thai arguements. In the west this sad story would be pretty unheard of at least on the streets, but as someone said earlier Thai have no idea of consequences when that red mist starts to cover their eyes and the blood starts to pump.

At least one good thing may come from this and that now people will start to walk away when they see trouble and just let the Thais sort it out themselves, as they generally do without involving unfortunate farangs wearing rose tinted glasses who still think this is the land of smiles.

This place is becoming more dangerous all the time, one only has to look at the armed robbery in Pattaya yesterday and see on TV three guys coming into a jewelry store with M16's blazing and no regard for public safety. Where do you buy an M16 in Pattaya, 7-11?

It will get worse too as so many people are being laid off from work, they need money to survive and if that means shooting up a store or a farang for his wallet and gold they have no fear of the consequences. Travellers be warned and be vigilant."

I agree with some of what you are saying but Pattaya seems to be a haven for violent crime. The Land of Smiles is still the Land of Smiles and tosay incidents like this one are unheard of in the west is absolute rubbbish.

You ever heard of Detroit, St. Louis, Oakland/Calif., Camden/N.J. or Birmingham/Alabahma. People are killed in drive by shootings everyday many over petty arguments. They are some of the most violent cities in the world and you don't get many smiles coming your way either.

Even in the UK violence is out of cotrol and just because they don't have as many guns, knives and baseball bats killl too. Get into a fight in Glasgow with some of the nutters there and they will pull a gun out of their backside and shoot you or find something to put you in an early grave.

I was reading just a few weeks ago about gangs of youths beating up on people at random. This time it was some 70 year old guy just because he was there. There were 2 1/2 million violent crimes in England and wales in the last year and that's not counting the ones not reported or known about.

Football violence is a disgrace. When the hel_l do you get that here in any great amount..

Ok so there are many violent acts in Thailand but considering the size of the country and the fact most Thais have got SWA to their name it has an excellent record in comparison to the west.

Still the best dam_n country in the world to live in.

Edited by George4

Sometimes intervention is justified. What if it was you getting mugged or beaten on to the point that you would probably die and I was standing there? Would you be ok with me running away? it's all about using common sense.

In this particular case the poor girl was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but she did what she thought was right when she most likely saw the woman getting attacked. Doing the right thing sometimes costs. If the swedish girl was trying to do the right thing, then she was certainly a better "man" than alot of folks that would run away.

You never cease to amaze me with your comments geriatrickid. OK so this poor Swedish girl in the prime of her life got involved in a domestic and ended up with a raw deal.

I would suggest that many people from Europe visiting Thailand for the first, second or even third time are not so aware of the terrible gun culture this country has and this girl sadly and rather naively got in the middle of the fracass.

I'm sure that if the commotion had been that serious fellow Thais would have got involved, or would they? They know to stay away, but unfortunately when you read a do's and dont's section of Thai culture in a travel guide all it tells you is not to show the soles of your feet or touch anyone on the head, not don't get involved in Thai on Thai arguements. In the west this sad story would be pretty unheard of at least on the streets, but as someone said earlier Thai have no idea of consequences when that red mist starts to cover their eyes and the blood starts to pump.

At least one good thing may come from this and that now people will start to walk away when they see trouble and just let the Thais sort it out themselves, as they generally do without involving unfortunate farangs wearing rose tinted glasses who still think this is the land of smiles.

This place is becoming more dangerous all the time, one only has to look at the armed robbery in Pattaya yesterday and see on TV three guys coming into a jewelry store with M16's blazing and no regard for public safety. Where do you buy an M16 in Pattaya, 7-11?

It will get worse too as so many people are being laid off from work, they need money to survive and if that means shooting up a store or a farang for his wallet and gold they have no fear of the consequences. Travellers be warned and be vigilant.

Sad but true! Expect much more mayhem as the country sinks further. The last decade or two has given Somchai a taste for the good life and now the honeymoon is over or at least suspended for a year or two, many will have to cut-back or even give up the luxuries and go bad to subsistance living.

Make no mistake, this will hurt as Thais base most decisions (being charitable here) on their short term enjoyment meter. Coming from a hunting/gathering culture, which is still the main stay in village life, they will see nothing wrong in hunting/gathering from those who have - especially given the lack of any real effort from the constabulary to bring such perps to justice!

Its interesting how only a few posters have actually expressed any kind of regret over the loss of life of the Thai woman, shot by her husband, her brother or her 19 year old son. Cut down before his life can really begin.

Domestic violence is a major problem in this country, with both men and women behaving in a violent manner (think of all the duck stories) and a culture that seems to not only find it acceptable but a police force that absolutely will not get involved. Instead, this woman and her son pay with their lives.

And yes, I do feel bad for the Swedish girl who had no involvement whatsoever, but really, she certainly ended up luckier than the Thai woman or young man.

Completely agree.

Edited by TheLaughingMan

An incident on Sukhumvit just the other day, a farang pissed off a street vendor somehow, don't know if it was justified, but said vendor and his buddies then attacked the farang. He was set upon by about 5 people, kicked, punched and hit with stools and anything else to hand. He managed to break away from the melee...However, as he ran away, every other street vendor attacked him, more stools were smashed to pieces on his body. Somehow he didn't fall down, but kept on running.

Whilst the first vendor might have had some reason, none of the others could've known what the original quarrel was about, it happened too fast. I was there...but for over 150 metres every male street vendor found it necessary to attack the guy......just because.....

Moral...don't piss off a Thai.

Btw, gun ownership is very common here. I've seen plenty.

If you are ever fooled into thinking this is a safe place, prepare yourself for a fall.

RIP the 3 victims of this horrendous shooting incident. A terribly tragic story, those poor people. The guy is obviously a psycho. Removal from the gene pool is definitely a good option for him.

Thank you Zombie for helping me to prove my point. I stand by everything I said previously.

I don't waste my energy replying to people like winsorooi (post #113) because they seem to have an agenda all of there own that I won't play along with. I tell it as plain and straight as I see it.

Its a tragic incident and deplorably action by the man. I hope he is put away for life, where he can never harm anyone again. I also hope that someday the world takes away all the guns, from all the crazy people. Crazy talk I know. But then, I don't have a gun.

A terriable thing to happen, my condolances to the families of those gunned down and I hope a swift recovery for the Swedish girl caught up in it all,

As many have said it can happen anywhere in the world but here in TL the country is brought up seeing the hate and voilance depicted on Thai soapes every day of the week.

If I understand correctly the most popular soapes are the ones with the most screaming, raving, violance, often towards woman complete with blood, and the occasional producing of firearms. I see parts of them from time to time when the lady changes channels but she usually shakes her head in disgust when they get violent and goes to another channel.

Not so many people, stayed at the sister in laws place last week and the family from the baby to grandmother were watching intently as someone was being beaten up by 3 men while another held a gun on anyone who might try to interfere. To me sickening but to them normal, this is what Thai TV is teaching the country.

Should we be surprised if it happens in real life?

are the ones with the most screaming, raving, violance, often towards woman complete with blood, and the occasional producing of firearms. I see parts of them from time to time when the lady changes channels but she usually shakes her head in disgust when they get violent and goes to another channel.

Not to quibble, but there are plenty of US shows that your statement seems to describe. I do agree about Thai soaps, but it is certainly not only a Thai problem, its a global fetish.

A terriable thing to happen, my condolances to the families of those gunned down and I hope a swift recovery for the Swedish girl caught up in it all,

As many have said it can happen anywhere in the world but here in TL the country is brought up seeing the hate and voilance depicted on Thai soapes every day of the week.

If I understand correctly the most popular soapes are the ones with the most screaming, raving, violance, often towards woman complete with blood, and the occasional producing of firearms. I see parts of them from time to time when the lady changes channels but she usually shakes her head in disgust when they get violent and goes to another channel.

Not so many people, stayed at the sister in laws place last week and the family from the baby to grandmother were watching intently as someone was being beaten up by 3 men while another held a gun on anyone who might try to interfere. To me sickening but to them normal, this is what Thai TV is teaching the country.

Indeed, but I would go further and say that most Thais do not absorb anything I consider educational, be that TV programs, comic books or computer games.

We had the computer game Grand Theft Auto 4 banned in Thailand recently as some Thai imitated the game by hijacking a taxi and killing the driver.

It seems those evil foreign influences are quickly targeted while ignoring the Thai contribution, not least of all as you mention, the Thai soaps which are incredibly violent. I witnessed one where a man was severely beating a woman with a cane for the better part of five minutes. This is shown while cigarettes in the mouths of cartoon characters are pixellated out.

Even then, one can only wonder about the mentality of those who watch and even enjoy such shows.

The break down of the traditional Thai family system is leaving huge problems.

The violence will only get worse.

It is just the times we live in you know. The same is happening all over the Earth.

Talk to and teach your children and friends those of you who know.

We do not hurt those we love do we.

That makes no sense. Walk away.

Tomorrow is another day. (Gone With the Wind)

There is more than one fish in the sea.

Hold on loosely but don't let go.

If you hold on to tightly, you are going to lose control. ( 38 Special)

I am proud that never in my entire life have I hit a friend.

The problems between lovers are as old as man kind.

Walk away is the answer.

I read an article some time back that said Thailand has the 2nd highest hand gun murder rate in the world (not per.capita)

In a country of smiling Buddhists that good ol' daily denial can and does turn to full blown vengeance rather quickly.

Thailand is/was consider "finished" years ago. An endless stream of liars and cheaters working all levels of the tourist trade has tarnished the glossy reputation of the Thai-Smile. :)

Too bad... but it is still great to be living here at a quite ex-pat level completely dis-connected from the horrors of daily Thai-life.

what were you doing in "the ghetto"? i always wonder why anyone with common sense would go have a stroll in khao san !

this street ( now a whole block or two) is a plague and should be razed off the face of Bangkok .....

OK, now that is simply ridiculous. Khao San Road has it's share of nonsense, but it is also increasingly popular among college age Thais as a place to party on the weekends, because it has many clubs that don't charge exorbitant prices for drinks and entry (though still more expensive than many local Thai hangouts).

It is an area to which I do not often frequent, but many of the farangs that do, do so because it has a vibrancy about it that places such as sukhumvit and silom don't have. Yes, the Khao San area attracts many backpacker style tourists who can't afford to stay at high dollar resorts and hotels (nor would many of them want to).

As to the murders there, the killer's wife was working there as a shirt vendor. She was working were she can make a living, I assume. Moreover, the internal family strife going on was not a khao San issue. One may dislike like Khao San or the people that visit it, but please try to refrian from being so irrational.

We had the computer game Grand Theft Auto 4 banned in Thailand recently as some Thai imitated the game by hijacking a taxi and killing the driver.

No, the game was voluntarily not imported by the distributor after one (1) youth's case could, if you tilted your head and squinted and sung a song, be linked to the game.

Not several and no definite link in any way.

A whole big thread could be devoted to just the topic mentioned above. Indeed, a whole busy website forum could be geared to deal with 'bad influences within Thailand.' and it could have dozens of threads. Thais over 25 are beyond the pale, but can we/they at least give younger generations a break?! Let kids be kids! Video store selections alone, show sickening trends toward abject violence, cruelty and sexual deviancy. Milarepa ate nothing but stinging nettles for years, and his skin turned a green hue. If you feed your kids depictions of violence and ignorance (Thai soap operas are stupidity personified) - then can anyone be surprised if the kids grow up to be sickos!?

Are some of these posts missing the point, or am I missing the point?.

There are so many pieces to the puzzle with regard to violence in Thailand, and no one seems to have covered them all, and probably nor will I, however here are a few things to consider: --

-- saving face for a Thai is everything, and they will kill to do so.

-- life is cheap and is nowhere near as valued as we seem to value it in the West.

-- you can have someone killed in Thailand for 10,000 baht.

-- if you pay the police enough, you can buy yourself off of any charge, including murder.

-- during any fracas, or accident, the westerner will be the first to be arrested (perhaps the only one to be arrested) irrespective of the cause or the outcome.

-- corruption is endemic throughout Thai society and that includes the police, especially the police.

-- on the occasions I have seen Thais fighting, there is always a group attacking one or a minority.

-- frequent murders are committed at the highest level with gunmen managing to mow down anybody who has a price on their head, for whatever reason. For example the young Canadian developer in Phuket murdered at gunpoint; the owner of the Jintana shopping complex murdered at gunpoint; the deputy leader of the PAD being shot, and so on and so on (all over the past 2 months). I refer to the comment above regarding having someone killed for 10,000 baht -- -- perhaps the high-profile folk cost a lot more.

If the above isn't enough to get you thinking, then you are seriously not of this planet.

Congratulations. I think you've reached stage 5 of the expat paranoia syndrome.

Firstly, my condolences to those who were killed and injured in this tragedy.

Secondly, and sadly so, the above is not paranoia, because I have been involved in, had experience of/first-hand knowledge of, or witnessed all of the above.

So for someone to say it is paranoia, as I said, is from another planet.

I could reel a few of them off for you, like the farang who was stabbed through the heart because he threw his remaining few baht at the tuk tuk driver in anger over being overcharged, so the driver stabbed him to save face; a friend has been offered the opportunity to have the Australian man who owes him a large debt, killed, and the price was 10,000 baht -- -- broken legs were 2000 baht; watched a fracas the other night when a poor young American guy and his girlfriend were attacked by a group of Thai drinks touts after refusing to pay 500 baht per drink when being conned, he was hit with a stool and several other Thais waded in with their elbows and fists. The police came and spoke to the Thais and the Thais walked away, whilst the American guy, bleeding from the nose, was ushered off in the police van (of course this wouldn't have anything at all to do with the fact that the police charge these touts a fee of 8000 baht for allowing them to conduct their business harassing tourists to go into Gogo clubs, and on the back of the photograph of the Gogo club saying entrance is free, is the drinks list, which the tourist never sees, and which starts at around about 500 baht per beer); a group of four young Thais armed with wooden stakes attacked the owner of a pizza parlour because one of their girlfriends was sacked from the place, giving him severe lacerations on the arm and quite possibly a broken arm.

I could go on, but what is the point, you obviously have your rose tinted glasses on, whereas I am always on the lookout for trouble so that I can stay away from it. The problem being that sometimes it finds you.

This will not be "another blow to tourism" as some have suggested. Street crime is rampant in most urban areas here. Bangkok continues to be one of the most dangerous places in the world. Either you accept the facts or bury your head in the sand and hope you do not become a victim.

Stress brought on by the well publicized problems unique to Thailand and the current global economic crisis will cause crime to continue to rise. This is simply one of hundreds of violent crimes that occur in Thailand everyday. This one could not be covered up because a foreigner was tragically brought into the story.

I disagree with that. In fact it is still one of the safest cities in the world. Compare Bangkok with Manila, Rio de Janeiro, Phnom Phen, Los Angeles... only to mention a few

Agreed!~

Rio is so dangerous...

Bangkok feels ok to me, especially for being such a huge city. I hear the crime in the UK is pretty bad.

It is important to distinguish between 'random' violence and violence by people known to the victim.

In Thailand there is a far lower chance of becoming a victim of a mugging than in the west, but there is also a far higher chance of getting attacked by someone you know.

So, walk the streets without too much worry, but don't make a Thai lose face.

Its interesting how only a few posters have actually expressed any kind of regret over the loss of life of the Thai woman, shot by her husband, her brother or her 19 year old son. Cut down before his life can really begin.

Domestic violence is a major problem in this country, with both men and women behaving in a violent manner (think of all the duck stories) and a culture that seems to not only find it acceptable but a police force that absolutely will not get involved. Instead, this woman and her son pay with their lives.

And yes, I do feel bad for the Swedish girl who had no involvement whatsoever, but really, she certainly ended up luckier than the Thai woman or young man.

And why should we farang express such a sentiment when it is apparent to even the most naive of ingenues newly arrived in this country that the Thai response would be " why you care, not your business, why you worry ".

I have no emotional engagement with this incident save for my sympathy for the tourist who was innocently embroiled in a fit of cultural madness that is common place here simply because cognitive thought is not something the Thai in a temper can recognise.

Who can remember the Thai police sergeant on points duty in Silom in 2002 who shot at a motorist ignoring his directions only to hit a bus driver who careened into a group of pedestrians? Transpired he had just returned from a spell of suspension from duty because of another disciplinary offence which was, guess what? Yup, shooting his pistol in a public place having lost all self control. I think the story then was that he was experiencing marital difficulties.

Or indeed the traffic police officer in On Nut( Bangna ?) who went berserk at another red light jumper killing him and his passenger and then blowing his own head off when he seemingly realised that perhaps he had gone just a tad too far.

The country is barking mad but that is its charm and why many are here rather than in the humdrum western world charged with unrelenting tedium and a relatively event free existence.

Edited by Electra

I read an article some time back that said Thailand has the 2nd highest hand gun murder rate in the world (not per.capita)

In a country of smiling Buddhists that good ol' daily denial can and does turn to full blown vengeance rather quickly.

Thailand is/was consider "finished" years ago. An endless stream of liars and cheaters working all levels of the tourist trade has tarnished the glossy reputation of the Thai-Smile. :D

Too bad... but it is still great to be living here at a quite ex-pat level completely dis-connected from the horrors of daily Thai-life.

If you had read the earlier parts of this thread, you would have found a discussion about those statistics. The data that you seem to recall probably originally came from http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_...s-with-firearms and are completely wrong. E.g. the site claims that there were 20,032 murders with firearms in Thailand, while there were "only" 5,140 total murders! How there can be four times as many murders with firearms as there are total murders is not explained :)

Factoid: Something resembling a fact; unverified (often invented) information that is given credibility because it appeared in print.

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

...I could go on, but what is the point, you obviously have your rose tinted glasses on, whereas I am always on the lookout for trouble so that I can stay away from it. The problem being that sometimes it finds you.

It - "trouble" - only finds you if you do as in the examples you quoted:

- throw money at a tuk-tuk driver

- owe people a lot of money

- refuse to pay a drinks bill, or be stupid enough to not find out what the prices are

- etc.

I do none of the above.

My glasses are not rose tinted, I've been here long enough to know how to behave and avoid trouble.

And why should we farang express such a sentiment when it is apparent to even the most naive of ingenues newly arrived in this country that the Thai response would be " why you care, not your business, why you worry ".

I have no emotional engagement with this incident save for my sympathy for the tourist who was innocently embroiled in a fit of cultural madness that is common place here simply because cognitive thought is not something the Thai in a temper can recognise.

Who can remember the Thai police sergeant on points duty in Silom in 2002 who shot at a motorist ignoring his directions only to hit a bus driver who careened into a group of pedestrians? Transpired he had just returned from a spell of suspension from duty because of another disciplinary offence which was, guess what? Yup, shooting his pistol in a public place having lost all self control. I think the story then was that he was experiencing marital difficulties.

Or indeed the traffic police officer in On Nut( Bangna ?) who went berserk at another red light jumper killing him and his passenger and then blowing his own head off when he seemingly realised that perhaps he had gone just a tad too far.

The country is barking mad but that is its charm and why many are here rather than in the humdrum western world charged with unrelenting tedium and a relatively event free existence.

Great line, 55555, you should send it to TAT for their new slogan.

Firstly, my condolences to those who were killed and injured in this tragedy.

Secondly, and sadly so, the above is not paranoia, because I have been involved in, had experience of/first-hand knowledge of, or witnessed all of the above.

So for someone to say it is paranoia, as I said, is from another planet.

I could reel a few of them off for you, like the farang who was stabbed through the heart because he threw his remaining few baht at the tuk tuk driver in anger over being overcharged, so the driver stabbed him to save face; a friend has been offered the opportunity to have the Australian man who owes him a large debt, killed, and the price was 10,000 baht -- -- broken legs were 2000 baht; watched a fracas the other night when a poor young American guy and his girlfriend were attacked by a group of Thai drinks touts after refusing to pay 500 baht per drink when being conned, he was hit with a stool and several other Thais waded in with their elbows and fists. The police came and spoke to the Thais and the Thais walked away, whilst the American guy, bleeding from the nose, was ushered off in the police van (of course this wouldn't have anything at all to do with the fact that the police charge these touts a fee of 8000 baht for allowing them to conduct their business harassing tourists to go into Gogo clubs, and on the back of the photograph of the Gogo club saying entrance is free, is the drinks list, which the tourist never sees, and which starts at around about 500 baht per beer); a group of four young Thais armed with wooden stakes attacked the owner of a pizza parlour because one of their girlfriends was sacked from the place, giving him severe lacerations on the arm and quite possibly a broken arm.

I could go on, but what is the point, you obviously have your rose tinted glasses on, whereas I am always on the lookout for trouble so that I can stay away from it. The problem being that sometimes it finds you.

yes that's the answer living here. Keep away from the bad areas and the bad people ( i think everyone knows what i mean by bad and it does not apply to all thais) . but yes sometimes the trouble can find you. do what the thais do walk away.

if u get involved in a thai problem don't get involved as you would in the west. don't follow youir western principles it won't work here. do what the thais do however much it is against the grain.

Im not sure if this already came up in this topic, (apologize if this is old information) but I read in the Thai newspaper (Thai rat, I think) that the problem that caused the husband to rush down to Khao san road and shoot his wife was that he (the husband) had discovered in the wife's computer, that she'd been chatting or had correspondence from a Farang. In the paper they said ชาวต่างชาติ which is "a foreigner" but didn't specify the nationality. They mentioned his first name as i recall, but I forgot it. It was a Thai spelled foreign name though.

There are many implications and impacts -- this is kind of a sensitive issue -- but I think there also solutions many of which have been mentioned by others in terms of how to conduct oneself here to avoid trouble -- to this reality, but I'll post just this much for now. I hope I did this right, I've never posted anything, anywhere before.

I've been known to be a hot head, and it's becoming increasingly odd why I haven't had a knife stuck in me in my 10 years in Thailand.

I've snatched a full bottle of scotch from a bar and walked out without paying (I had pre-paid a bar fine, and came back awhile later and found she was gone).

I've thrown trash in a truck that repeatedly parked on my property, after several mentions over as many days not to. The truck owner had ants all over his seat when he saw what I did. He was a big fellow, a carpenter, and promptly waved a hand saw in my face and threatened to do on-the-spot plastic surgery.

I've given the finger to a cross country truck driver, who braked suddenly and blocked my route in my car. He promptly waved a hefty sword from the cab of his truck - just for my viewing pleasure.

I've berated my rural neighbors for allowing their dogs to yap all hours of the night. Once had a neighbor take a couple high kicks at my face (he missed).

I've pounded on cars (with mega-speakers revved to max) with my fists. I figure, if the Thais don't have the wherewithal to try and keep their noise pollution to merely ear-piercing levels, then it's up to a hare-brained farang like me to do the job.

So guys, if you run in to me (figuratively speaking), ask my Thai Visa avatar name. If it's brahmburgers, you had better leave me alone, as I could be a walking time bomb here in Thailand - a hothead in a land of hotheads.

I've been known to be a hot head, and it's becoming increasingly odd why I haven't had a knife stuck in me in my 10 years in Thailand.

I've snatched a full bottle of scotch from a bar and walked out without paying (I had pre-paid a bar fine, and came back awhile later and found she was gone).

I've thrown trash in a truck that repeatedly parked on my property, after several mentions over as many days not to. The truck owner had ants all over his seat when he saw what I did. He was a big fellow, a carpenter, and promptly waved a hand saw in my face and threatened to do on-the-spot plastic surgery.

I've given the finger to a cross country truck driver, who braked suddenly and blocked my route in my car. He promptly waved a hefty sword from the cab of his truck - just for my viewing pleasure.

I've berated my rural neighbors for allowing their dogs to yap all hours of the night. Once had a neighbor take a couple high kicks at my face (he missed).

I've pounded on cars (with mega-speakers revved to max) with my fists. I figure, if the Thais don't have the wherewithal to try and keep their noise pollution to merely ear-piercing levels, then it's up to a hare-brained farang like me to do the job.

So guys, if you run in to me (figuratively speaking), ask my Thai Visa avatar name. If it's brahmburgers, you had better leave me alone, as I could be a walking time bomb here in Thailand - a hothead in a land of hotheads.

Lol even a little too manly even for me.