Internet Service Providers In Chiang Mai

Lami

What are the current options for Internet Service Providers in Chiang Mai?

An overview of what's available and from which providers would be great, if someone is able to provide one or one can be pieced together from what individual members know.

Also, would be good to hear personal reports of which service you have, your rough location, and whether your connection is excellent/good/fair/lousy ...

Have inherited TOT adsl in Amphur Muang and it's absolutely woeful at present.

I used to use sattelite at 4150 baht a month. Speed usualy about 350 -450.Was OK but expensive,so I cant realy reccomend it.

2 months ago I bought the little USB Cat CDMA device. Just installed the driver,plugged it in....has been good.

Speeds above 850 and up to 1340. Cost for the device 8100 baht and 800 baht a month.

Apart from it going offline a few times....no troubles at all........quicker and cheaper. I can only reccomend it.

One guy on TV said that he was waiting to see if the increrased demand for it from CAD would result in slower speeds due to the greater number of subscribers,I can only say that I have not noticed any lowering of the download speed at all.

It's all there already on previous discussion threads in this forum.

Options depend on exact location. Even with the same provider there is big variability in performance depending on exact location.

I am also with TOT and they ARE woeful here too - and rarely provide their service at the promised speed

I used to use sattelite at 4150 baht a month. Speed usualy about 350 -450.Was OK but expensive,so I cant realy reccomend it.

2 months ago I bought the little USB Cat CDMA device. Just installed the driver,plugged it in....has been good.

Speeds above 850 and up to 1340. Cost for the device 8100 baht and 800 baht a month.

Apart from it going offline a few times....no troubles at all........quicker and cheaper. I can only reccomend it.

One guy on TV said that he was waiting to see if the increrased demand for it from CAD would result in slower speeds due to the greater number of subscribers,I can only say that I have not noticed any lowering of the download speed at all.

Can you please tell me where you bought this device ..? And can it support more than one user at the same time or do I have to buy one for each lap top or PC in the house...? Being USD guess I need one for each user ...rite...?

Thanks to confirm this and where you bouhgt it

Perhaps we could all use the same standard for describing our connection speeds. For example, I use KSC at the office which is located in Sansai.....

ADSL Thailand Speed Test 860 / 424 kpbs

However; if I want to check connections to foreign countries, such as Los Angeles in the US, here is my connection speed using DSL Reports Speed Test 808 / 415 kpbs.

My speeds are similar using the two different sites but I'm sure that those who use Maxnet INDY will see a considerable difference.

Edited by earlofwindermere

Howdi Larri.

First off, I launch a complaint about TV's search function - no fault of yours. They have two DIFFERENT places that give COMPLETELY DIFFERENT results for searches, so it's not obvious to you or anyone else that the top left white search box, the obvious one, is the inferior one. Instead look on the top right side of the page and find the black word 'SEARCH.' Use this one to search the CM forum specifically and then you'll have PLENTY of info on this topic as it comes up nearly every week or two.

I use Maxnet (from TTnT) and have a super fast connection and pay about 1,200B /mo for it. It's highway robbery compared to what I'd get for the same $$ back in LA, but for Thld, it's just fine.

How you sort it all out will be an adventure by the way, ala getting direct answers and things connected in LOS can be quite challenging. Again, vs where you come from, you may find getting connected takes a week or two of patient waiting. In the end though, we all manage to get hooked up.

Have fun.

Perhaps we could all use the same standard for describing our connection speeds. For example, I use KSC at the office which is located in Sansai.....

However; if I want to check connections to foreign countries, such as Los Angeles in the US, here is my connection speed using DSL Reports Speed Test 808 / 415 kpbs.

My speeds are similar using the two different sites but I'm sure that those who use Maxnet INDY will see a considerable difference.

Last Result:

Download Speed: 3379 kbps (422.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 3948 kbps (493.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

TEST TIME:: Wednesday May 06, 2009, 11:48 AM

Can you please tell me where you bought this device ..? And can it support more than one user at the same time or do I have to buy one for each lap top or PC in the house...? Being USD guess I need one for each user ...rite...?

Direct from CAT which is on the Super Highway near Carrefour.Unless you get a wireless Router connected its one for each computer.Reading from other guys set-ups and posts it seems that this is what they have. All this is too technical for me but I expect someone will advise you...or get the CAT installer to do it at an extra cost.

Since this is THAI VISA I always use their speed test,simply to get an idea of the speed and if its higher or lower. All these different ways of recording simply confuse a simple soul like myself

Direct from CAT which is on the Super Highway near Carrefour.Unless you get a wireless Router connected its one for each computer.Reading from other guys set-ups and posts it seems that this is what they have. All this is too technical for me but I expect someone will advise you...or get the CAT installer to do it at an extra cost.

Thanks a lot for the info... I have wireless and yes, that should work to get other computers linked up. This would be far more cost efficient as now I am paying 2,675 / month with TOT's satellite dish cause they don't have any telephone lines in this area and won't add any more for a long time to come !

have to say i have no complaints with TOT at all, been in a new place for a month now and had relatively no bother at all with them. they even upgraded our line from 2meg to 3meg free of charge this week.

I have TOT. There were some changings a few weeks ago. Did not have internet for about a day. After that I had the amazing 1.2 MEG! (I pay for 2 meg)

Too bad... after ten minutes I got cut down to 150 Kb. Now I am cut down to 50 Kb. Calling them has no use. The answer is: we only guarantee the speed inside Thailand!

I see several speeds with speed tests. Unfortunatly this is Not the actual speed. The actual speed is Much lower!

Thanks for the informative replies, all ... hope you wil keep them coming.

"Lami", who initiated the topic has been banned without explanation. I pm'd George about this but there has been no reply.

I surely cannot be the only person running several computers from the same ISP, with frequently changing users, can I ?

Edited by WaiWai

Thanks for the informative replies, all ... hope you will keep them coming.

"Lami", who initiated the topic has been banned without explanation. I pm'd George about this but there has been no reply.

I surely cannot be the only person running several computers from the same ISP, with frequently changing users, can I ?

...Unless you get a wireless Router connected its one for each computer.Reading from other guys set-ups and posts it seems that this is what they have. All this is too technical for me but I expect someone will advise you...or get the CAT installer to do it at an extra cost.

Just to clarify - you really only need to have one CAT "aircard" as long as all of your computers are on the same wireless (or wired) LAN. Attach the aircard to one of your computers, and assuming you're using Windows, configure that computer for "Internet Sharing". Windows will normally detect that the CAT aircard is your internet connection, and your wireless (or wired) connection will be used to share that connection with others on your network. Once you have this first computer setup and working, then just configure the rest of the computers on your network to access the internet via this first computer.

I have been with TOT ADSL Chiang Mai for 4 years.

Chang Puak area.

The occasional issue - but overall - I get what I pay for.

My original Goldcyber plan 1024/512 was 1000 baht per month - residential / consumer.

When the plans were revised and a 2048/512 speed was introduced, the Goldcyber plan became 2048/512 and the price remained the same at 1000 baht / month.

Goldcyber customers were automatically upgraded to the higher speed.

But the new TOT plans being introduced now are all cheaper than 1000 baht.

Diamondcyber - 4096/512 - 790 baht

Platinumcyber - 3072/512 - 590 baht

Goldcyber - 2048/512 - 490 baht

If you are a Goldcyber existing customer and paying 1000 baht per month for 2048/512 - you need to contact TOT and choose what you want to do. TOT Bangkok says that their local offices have to manage the changeover and contact their customers - easier said than done I would suggest. In the absence of you making any change - you go on being billed for 1000 baht at the moment - although they might again do an "auto" upgrade of your speed to 4096/512 and reduce your billing to 790 baht.

If you are happy with 2048/512 - then give them a call and get your cost down to 490 baht.

Call Centre 1100 and 9 for English - will get things started. They will hand off to Chiang Mai to complete.

Or contact the local office direct.

If you are changing plan - you will know when the change has been done - as your browser will come up with a TOT screen that tells you that your username is incorrect. Set your new username in your modem as per the plan you are on. The actual speed change lags behind the account change as that gets done at the port site.

I had to change my username within a few hours of my call - but the speed change happened the next day.

I was able to upgrade to 4096/512 within a few hours by simply calling the 1100 Call Centre. Chiang Mai TOT office then rang me to confirm my requirements. No new paperwork - no new contract - just point out that you are an existing customer - and ask for a changeover to the plan that suits you as long as the new cost is LESS than your current billing. A plan that needed a higher than existing cost - would have needed a new application / paperwork.

Both times I was dealing with competent English speaking staff - they do exist !!

New customers - contact the Chiang Mai office and go through the application process.

I have TOT. There were some changings a few weeks ago. Did not have internet for about a day. After that I had the amazing 1.2 MEG! (I pay for 2 meg)

Too bad... after ten minutes I got cut down to 150 Kb. Now I am cut down to 50 Kb. Calling them has no use. The answer is: we only guarantee the speed inside Thailand!

I see several speeds with speed tests. Unfortunatly this is Not the actual speed. The actual speed is Much lower!

What package have you got, i.e. how much do you pay per month?

If you have one of the cheaper packages the reality is you cannot expect good international speeds since you will have many more line partners (other subscribers sharing your bandwidth) - the international bandwidth is expensive to buy for your Internet provider so this is how they manage the cheap packages.

You may already know this, but in case there are those who don't, the following is also important to understand:

The line speed (the figure quoted in the name of the package, i.e. 2M/1M or 1M/768k) is not the same thing as the download speed.

They are measured in different units of measurements; the line speed is described in 'bits', and the download speed in 'bytes'). 1 byte equals 8 bits.

Hence, to derive the download speed from the line speed you need to divide it by 8.

A line speed of 2 Megabit per second equals a max download speed of 250 kiloByte per second. Realistically, even with a decent line, you will tend to get a bit less, perhaps around 210 - 230 kiloByte per second.

So within Thailand, this is the approximate speed you should get. If it is lower than that, within Thailand, you should call them again.

• 4 months later...

Hi

I went to CAT at Airport Plaza - No one speaks English very well. I wanted to describe what you did but it was hopeless.

They only are available in certain areas like close to the city.. I am in San Soi Noi and they were going to look and see if they had service here

I have heard nothing.

Would appreciate and suggestions.

Thanks

Walt :)