Thai Motorcycle Licence

Tyke

Hi,

I want to get a Thai MOTORCYCLE DL. I've already got a Thai car driving licence for 5 years. What I need to know is:

1. I live mainly in BKK but have a condo (hence address) in Pattaya as well - can I get a motorbike licence in any one of these places - so which place (BKK or Patts) is easiest to get a motorcycle licence?

2. What do i need to get one - do I really have to go through the written Thai test and practical?

Hi,

I want to get a Thai MOTORCYCLE DL. I've already got a Thai car driving licence for 5 years. What I need to know is:

1. I live mainly in BKK but have a condo (hence address) in Pattaya as well - can I get a motorbike licence in any one of these places - so which place (BKK or Patts) is easiest to get a motorcycle licence?

2. What do i need to get one - do I really have to go through the written Thai test and practical?

Hi Can't help you in regards wether pattaya or bkk is better.

I have done my Motorbike DL here ( but did drive bikes for a while already) it is really simple. the written test was concluding over question with 3 possible answers (a,b,c) and you select...my written test wasn't good translated but i managed to pass it anyways...i was not aware when i went to conduct the licence that my exam would be the same day so , while there, i got a book over traffic rules which i could study for 15 min prior to the exam...

driving was fun...we had a small circuit and did some stop and go indicator use and slalom and that was basically it...the driving itself was conducted on a Honda wave...after this i had to do some test over vision, color and reaction...end of this i went back to my Yamaha 750cc and went back home...legally:-)

hope that helps,

mbox

Hi,

I have done my Motorbike DL here ( but did drive bikes for a while already) it is really simple. the written test was concluding over question with 3 possible answers (a,b,c) and you select...my written test wasn't good translated but i managed to pass it anyways...i was not aware when i went to conduct the licence that my exam would be the same day so , while there, i got a book over traffic rules which i could study for 15 min prior to the exam...

driving was fun...we had a small circuit and did some stop and go indicator use and slalom and that was basically it...the driving itself was conducted on a Honda wave...after this i had to do some test over vision, color and reaction...end of this i went back to my Yamaha 750cc and went back home...legally:-)

hope that helps,

mbox

many thanks for this - but do you mean the test was translated for you - you didn't need a Thai friend to go with you?

Where did you take the test BKK or Patts?

And did they supply the traffic rules book in English or did you buy it somewhere and take it along with you?

Edited by Tyke

Hi,

hope that helps,

mbox

many thanks for this - but do you mean the test was translated for you - you didn't need a Thai friend to go with you?

Where did you take the test BKK or Patts?

And did they supply the traffic rules book in English or did you buy it somewhere and take it along with you?

They had actually 2 tests (A & B ) in english language readily available ( and this upcountry in the sticks!) i took the test in nakhonsawan . My wife went with but merely for helping administrative questions ...not the exam itself.

They had the traffic rule book in english there...but i am sure you can get it in a bookshop too...merely like a booklet...nothing difficult really.Need to add that i done my Mocyc DL 3 years ago...so things may have changed

mbox

Edited by mbox

I also have create a small list of documents needed for a Thai drivers license

A good bit of info.. I realize everywhere is a little different and so making any definitive info in Thailand is very tough, but I would say about one part.

6. Renewal Procedure

At the moment, a Thai driver's license issued to a foreigner is only valid for one year, unless he has an immigrant-visa (permanent resident status). You are supposed to renew your driver's license before it expires, but not earlier than one month before it expires. You can still renew your driver's license after it expires, and it has been a myth that officials at the Land Transport Office tell you to renew your driver's license after it expires, but it is against the law to drive a motor vehicle with an expired driver's license.

For driver's license renewal, you don't need the address certificate (unless you have changed your address) or health certificate, but you still need to be in possession of a non-immigrant visa. In some provincial Land Transport Offices, officials may ask you to produce address certificate upon driver's license renewal. I'm not sure about such a case, whether those officials have a certain discretion as to what documents are required for driver's license renewal, or they're simply ignorant of laws and regulations. Probably the latter.

Firstly, down here on Phuket they clearly tell you to wait until the license has expired. if you go before the license expires they will not give you a 5 year license only another 1 year. Secondly when you get your 5 year the license is 5 years and then up to your next birthday so careful timing can get you almost 6 years (I am delaying an address change to get that bit more right now)..

As to the legality of this, it leads to a catch 22 of course where you have to wait for the license to be expired.. Contrary to ALL legal understanding and idea the police answered a 'questions' letter in the paper saying it was perfectly ok to let it expire and then go apply for a new one.. The following week someone said "great the police advise driving on an expired license but that would mean no insurance" which got a reply from the insurance company rep saying they would fully insure people whose license had just expired. Personally I think the whole thing stinks of maybes and agree its risky but those 2 things were clarified by the local paper !!

Also here to get your 5 year after your 1 year had expired you needed a second health report, address report and everything you needed for the first one. Of course as I say each province seems to be a kingdom to itself.

I also have create a small list of documents needed for a Thai drivers license

A good bit of info.. I realize everywhere is a little different and so making any definitive info in Thailand is very tough, but I would say about one part.

6. Renewal Procedure

At the moment, a Thai driver's license issued to a foreigner is only valid for one year, unless he has an immigrant-visa (permanent resident status). You are supposed to renew your driver's license before it expires, but not earlier than one month before it expires. You can still renew your driver's license after it expires, and it has been a myth that officials at the Land Transport Office tell you to renew your driver's license after it expires, but it is against the law to drive a motor vehicle with an expired driver's license.

For driver's license renewal, you don't need the address certificate (unless you have changed your address) or health certificate, but you still need to be in possession of a non-immigrant visa. In some provincial Land Transport Offices, officials may ask you to produce address certificate upon driver's license renewal. I'm not sure about such a case, whether those officials have a certain discretion as to what documents are required for driver's license renewal, or they're simply ignorant of laws and regulations. Probably the latter.

Firstly, down here on Phuket they clearly tell you to wait until the license has expired. if you go before the license expires they will not give you a 5 year license only another 1 year. Secondly when you get your 5 year the license is 5 years and then up to your next birthday so careful timing can get you almost 6 years (I am delaying an address change to get that bit more right now)..

As to the legality of this, it leads to a catch 22 of course where you have to wait for the license to be expired.. Contrary to ALL legal understanding and idea the police answered a 'questions' letter in the paper saying it was perfectly ok to let it expire and then go apply for a new one.. The following week someone said "great the police advise driving on an expired license but that would mean no insurance" which got a reply from the insurance company rep saying they would fully insure people whose license had just expired. Personally I think the whole thing stinks of maybes and agree its risky but those 2 things were clarified by the local paper !!

Also here to get your 5 year after your 1 year had expired you needed a second health report, address report and everything you needed for the first one. Of course as I say each province seems to be a kingdom to itself.

All good info but he has a CAR 5 yr lisence and now wants a first time MOTORCYCLE 1yr lisence.

Dave

He LivinLOS,

It's extremely hard to get the actual facts in writing, I'm working on other topics for my information side, but have now called 6 people and had 6 different ways and explanation, from this 6, 3 where almost completely 360 degree the other way....

Yeah my intention wasnt to knock it.. Its as good a summary as I have read. As I said even different offices process differently..

Some dont need to do the written test if you have an IDP, some do, some may not need all the residence paper and doctors report for 1 year to 5 year change but some do.. Its one of those TiT things.

As I posted before.. When my one year ran out I went to renew and they said I needed the residence proof from immigration, so there I went and they wanted a house rental contract that I didnt have with me, so I showed them my (expired) driving license explaining that it was Thai official ID and couldnt that do ?? So they then issue me the residence paper, based on my 1 year Thai driving license to take to the DMV to prove my address for the 5 year license !! Kafka'esque..

Hello Tyke

I did my test in Pattaya a few years ago, the tests are conducted at the Registration centre on Route 36, heading towards Pattaya you take the first left after the Regents School (big red brick buildings), it is signposted. The multi choice test pass mark is 23 - 30, it's tricky but you get 3 goes at it and if you fail the first day you can go back 3 days later and try again. Usual reaction and colour test. Then out on to the circuit for a ride around, you have to obey the traffic signs, in and out of some cones without putting your foot down, ride across a plank about 9" wide and 12 feet long without putting your foot down. Complete the circuit and then ride around the centre and return to the examiner who gives you a chit to take back into the office, about 45 minutes later you get a licence valid for one year all in all a fun day out. Probably best if you take your own bike, they do have one heap there but when my wife went for her test it was unserviceable. The renewal for the 5 year is easy.

Edited by aitch52

Hello Tyke

I did my test in Pattaya a few years ago, the tests are conducted at the Registration centre on Route 36, heading towards Pattaya you take the first left after the Regents School (big red brick buildings), it is signposted. The multi choice test pass mark is 23 - 30, it's tricky but you get 3 goes at it and if you fail the first day you can go back 3 days later and try again. Usual reaction and colour test. Then out on to the circuit for a ride around, you have to obey the traffic signs, in and out of some cones without putting your foot down, ride across a plank about 9" wide and 12 feet long without putting your foot down. Complete the circuit and then ride around the centre and return to the examiner who gives you a chit to take back into the office, about 45 minutes later you get a licence valid for one year all in all a fun day out. Probably best if you take your own bike, they do have one heap there but when my wife went for her test it was unserviceable. The renewal for the 5 year is easy.

Thanks, aitch52, just what I am looking for as I've decided to apply for the motorbike licence in Pattaya - mainly because it is so easy to get a proof of address in Pattaya than in BKK and I have property in both places.

One thing I need to know, though, is if the application form, written tests, verbal instructions etc are in English. This, of course, is crucial and don't want to have to take a Thai along with me.

I will check out the centre once I've bought a bike in Pattaya.

Edited by Tyke

He LivinLOS,

It's extremely hard to get the actual facts in writing, I'm working on other topics for my information side, but have now called 6 people and had 6 different ways and explanation, from this 6, 3 where almost completely 360 degree the other way....

360 degrees the other way? Doesn't that mean going the same way? :):D :D :D

Hi Tyke

I went on my own and as I remember it the forms were bi-lingual, the staff are also very helpful. The written test is a 30 question multichoice on a computer, at the top of the stairs there was a computer set up so that you could practise the questions. I bought a photocopy of the Thai Highway Code from a Driving School for about 30 Baht, they didn't have an original copy spare. To be honest I just blagged my way through the multi choice, it's not too hard and most of the questions are common sense. Memorise the obvious Thai language signs, STOP, NO ENTRY etc and you should have no problems. There is a line of shops outside the test centre for photocopies, photos, laminating etc.

The examiner once he gets the group together walks you around the circuit, shows you where to stop, basically obey the signs, there is a Stop sign on a small hill so you have to do a hillstart, you soon get the hang of it.

Also best to get there before opening time as it does get very busy.

Good Luck

Edited by aitch52

Q. Do you need to take the practical test on a manual gearbox motorcycle? Or can it be taken on an automatic scooter?

You can bring your own bike but rentals are also available at least in Bangkok office in Sukhumvit. Can't say if it was manual or auto as there is no need to change gears during the test :) It's not really to test your ability to drive. You need to drive around a loop and do some slalom between the cones in the back corner of a parking lot.

For OP's question regarding location. Nowdays you can get licence and also extend your licence in any DLT office as they are all linked in central database. So where it is most convenient for you. Bangkok Sukhumvit office forms etc are not in english but they have english material to study for written test and also the written test (computerized) can be done in english. I did it last year on my own and there was couple of helpful ladies in the information desk that spoke some english and fill in the forms etc for me.

If you have bike licence from your home country you can convert that to thai licence without written and drive tests. Just had it translated by your embassy. International licence will do as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Immigration denied me a Certificate of residence because of my tourist visa (i Knew, but it worked for my friend in Phuket, so i tried to smile and play stupid), have you ever heard about any embassy giving certificate of residence when you are living here with a tourist visa? And can you confirm that a certificate of residence from embassy is acceptable to get a Thai driver license ?

I have a French driving license and an international driving license, can you confirm that i won't have to pass any test? Just pay and get your Thai driving license ?

Thanks a lot for your help !

Hello,

Immigration denied me a Certificate of residence because of my tourist visa (i Knew, but it worked for my friend in Phuket, so i tried to smile and play stupid), have you ever heard about any embassy giving certificate of residence when you are living here with a tourist visa? And can you confirm that a certificate of residence from embassy is acceptable to get a Thai driver license ?

I have a French driving license and an international driving license, can you confirm that i won't have to pass any test? Just pay and get your Thai driving license ?

Thanks a lot for your help !

You won't have to pass a licence for sure , but the residency certificate & visa status is another thing...i used to have a Paper certifying my residency issued from my Emabssy and have done my Thai Licence based on this but had a non o Visa ( now i have yellow Tabien Baan which is also another way to certify your Residency). Maybe check with your embassy regarding this-perhaps you can get that Paper too? It should not be of your Embassy's concern under which Visa status you reside here but that you as French Citizen registered to them in which country you are at(let this paper translate into thai-makes it easier for them to understand...)

A wild guess is that you may have it easier to get your THai DL "upcountry" ...

mbox

I'm already on my second 5 year car DL,didn't make the bike license because was not interested.

Far too dangerous for me to drive a bike in LOS. :)

Actually I bought a samlor (tuk-tuk),to drive in the village and around,with extra lights,so to be highly visible in the dark;I'm paying the Insurance too,but when I asked at the Transport Office they told me that a DL is required,a special one,only for the samlors,must make a driving test and the license is only for1 year at a time. :D

Someone can confirm it?

I'm already on my second 5 year car DL,didn't make the bike license because was not interested.

Actually I bought a samlor (tuk-tuk),to drive in the village and around,with extra lights,so to be highly visible in the dark;I'm paying the Insurance too,but when I asked at the Transport Office they told me that a DL is required,a special one,only for the samlors,must make a driving test and the license is only for1 year at a time. :D

Someone can confirm it?

Yes I read it somewhere.

Incredible that someone can drive any motorcycle with a bike driving license (even 1000cc if you are rich) but need a special license to drive a samlor!

But this is the way we love it...

;-)

Hi,

hope that helps,

mbox

mbox, was it your Honda Wave? Or theirs?

Someone can confirm it?

Where'd you get the Tuk-Tuk? How much? Got any photos? I'm interested in that possiblity too when I get another place outside Bkk. Any tips?

John

Where'd you get the Tuk-Tuk? How much? Got any photos? I'm interested in that possiblity too when I get another place outside Bkk. Any tips?

John

Hi John,

I bought my in Udon,there is a small factory and dealership:brisk trade!They have a farang version,too.

Customized,150cc motor,seats,extra lights,about 80 K.

Sorry,my scanner is dead,have to buy a new one. :)

Try to have it insured,some Companies do,and in Thailand it's a must.