Watching Pattaya's Decline

Boater

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting some of the things the guy has to say, pattaya has been in decline for alot more reasons than red shirts, also is his business one of those in pattaya that charges farangs more than thais, if so maybe a lot of his customers are put off by duel priceing, pattaya is a dump its image everywhere is seen as not friendly, full of louts,drunks, robbers,beggers not a family resort, unfit beaches, bad planing, every where you look pattaya is in a bad way, just a place for sad men to get sex

What a breathtakingly honest assessment. If you were to believe the PR that this town generates you'd think Walking Street is luxury defined with lots of fine dining and Pattaya is an "international beach resort" with pristine beaches and crystal clear waters. I suppose it's sounds better than the REAL Pattaya being a seedy cesspit of filthy beaches and foul-smelling sewage, whose main industry is sex related and where town planing is non existent. Only Pattaya's delusional leaders, press, shonky estate agents and thier coterie of yes-men live in the PR version... the rest of us live in the REAL Pattaya and would agree with Sutham Phanthusak

pattaya is a dump its image everywhere is seen as not friendly, full of louts,drunks, robbers,beggers not a family resort, unfit beaches, bad planing, every where you look pattaya is in a bad way, just a place for sad men to get sex

Ah yes...and we wouldn't want it any other way :)

Pattaya:

The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.
It is a redlight district for cripes sakes!

That is false. PARTS of it are a red light district. The majority of it is very similar to most any Thai city of its size. Go to Tesco Lotus on Sukhumwit, that is as much the real Pattaya as the go gos.

Edited by Jingthing

If I could transport all of Pattaya, with all the nasties included, and plonk it down somewhere in North America I'd be a multi-billionare within a year by only taking in 2% of the revenue generated. Pattaya is unique and fills a need that very few other places in the world can duplicate.

""How can Pattaya attract quality tourists if it has no proper zoning for beer bars and night pubs and allows go-go dancers to perform in the middle of the streets?" he asks."

Getting sick of expressions like "quality tourists" etc.

Zoning, what's that? Build the future based on the history.

If some of these guys try to turn Pattaya by 180 degrees, they will all fail!

Pattaya is mostly damaged by greedy real estate investors, but certainly not by the Beer Bars and GoGo's.

Zoning is a good idea and Pattaya is already correctly zoned, most of the part east of 3rd road is entertainment zone, the rest is not. If only it was enforced you'd be able to buy a house without having to worry about a karaoke or noisy bar blaring music 24/7 next to your house. The only problem is as with most other laws in Thailand that they're never enforced.

Pattaya:
The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.
It is a redlight district for cripes sakes!

That is false. PARTS of it are a red light district. The majority of it is very similar to most any Thai city of its size. Go to Tesco Lotus on Sukhumwit, that is as much the real Pattaya as the go gos.

You are one of my favorite posters, but I have to differ with you on this. Pattaya is a giant whorehouse with shopping centers, book stores and restaurants to feed and entertain all of the Johns in between ejaculations.

These people whining about not being able to buy a house that is not in a noisy area and that sort of thing must have no conception of reality. You don't buy a house there. You open another beer bar or Go-Go bar!

Do one of your polls on this, "Pattaya, giant brothel or almost the same as most any Thai city of its size." I will win! :)

You are one of my favorite posters, but I have to differ with you on this. Pattaya is a giant whorehouse with shopping centers, book stores and restaurants to feed and entertain all of the Johns in between ejaculations.

These people whining about not being able to buy a house that is not in a noisy area and that sort of thing must have no conception of reality. You don't buy a house there. You open another beer bar or Go-Go bar!

Do one of your polls on this, "Pattaya, giant brothel or almost the same as most any Thai city of its size." I will win! :D

UG - you get my vote as well :)

With 100,000+ girls 'working bar' it is a giant brothel. I would not want to see that lost as it is part of Pattaya's history (I wanted to say 'charm' but I think it has moved beyond that). However, Pattaya needs to be 'zoned' far better than present. I imagine that there are too many 'interests' involved in Pattaya for it ever to have a harmonious twinning of Sex City and family Resort.

Zoning is a good idea and Pattaya is already correctly zoned, most of the part east of 3rd road is entertainment zone, the rest is not. If only it was enforced you'd be able to buy a house without having to worry about a karaoke or noisy bar blaring music 24/7 next to your house. The only problem is as with most other laws in Thailand that they're never enforced.

I meant west of 3rd road. Sorry. Sleeping ... :)

Well I think many of the posters on this topic are not even living in Pattaya and therefore slam it as much as they can. There are many expats living here not because of the bar girls but because it is a very vibrant city too, just see the amount female expats living here. I would personally get bored to death in a Thai city say like Udon Trani. I also like to go to say Buger King a couple of times pr month, he-he.

But we are all different (thanks good) so we have different tings we like to do, but I find in Pattaya that I have a lot of options, which I prefer.

The best thing that could happen in my opinion is getting the crime under control and get rid of the Thai jabba heads on Beach Road for good.

I think Pattaya is fine as it is. A perfect mix of seedy and fun for the whole family. Haha. Making it any more family friendly will only put the place further into financial ruin for many years to come. I will agree that the guns, violent crime and yabba heads (farang and thai) need to be cracked down on, and hard...Especially in these tough times, because a city with a little money will attract the derelicts from the cities that are even more troubled than Pattaya. The problem could get exponential, and quickly.

Do one of your polls on this, "Pattaya, giant brothel or almost the same as most any Thai city of its size." I will win! :D

UG - you get my vote as well :)

With 100,000+ girls 'working bar' it is a giant brothel. I would not want to see that lost as it is part of Pattaya's history (I wanted to say 'charm' but I think it has moved beyond that). However, Pattaya needs to be 'zoned' far better than present. I imagine that there are too many 'interests' involved in Pattaya for it ever to have a harmonious twinning of Sex City and family Resort.

You people really make me laugh if facts don’t fit your arguments you just make them up where did you get the figure of 100,000+ girls working? Pure fiction I have just had 2 relatives staying with me both women in there 50's and 60's who came here for a relaxing holiday, good shopping and great restaurants they found all of this and went no where near the bars not everyone is here for sex! Pattaya is changing for the better get used to it!

Edited by daveb1

Did anyone apart from doggie 6 x 8 actually take the trouble to read his statement or just jump in to either have a dig or show how well they no the *real Pattaya!*

To have a influential local businessman making public statements, that if acted upon could only have a positive outcome for Pattaya is a first for me, and I have lived here a long time.

Pattaya has gone downhill in the last 5 years for lots of reasons some of which he highlighted, if more people in his position came out and said something, there would improvements! As nobody is going to listen to the winging falang

Do one of your polls on this, "Pattaya, giant brothel or almost the same as most any Thai city of its size." I will win!

Well normally I may be in the mood to argue with you, but I got just back from shopping for some groceries and while I was squeezing the avocados a stranger Thai man surprised me from the back, started goosing me and then demanded that I buy his chicken for him ...

Do one of your polls on this, "Pattaya, giant brothel or almost the same as most any Thai city of its size." I will win!

Well normally I may be in the mood to argue with you, but I got just back from shopping for some groceries and while I was squeezing the avocados a stranger Thai man surprised me from the back, started goosing me and then demanded that I buy his chicken for him ...

It is not called "Friendship for nothing !" :)

Jingthing, can you please explain why a stranger Thai man started goosing you from the back and demanded that you buy his chicken for him?

Are you a female? or gay? btw.

Sorry, but i find your post hilarious! :):D

Oh, and what was your reaction to this incident?

I did read Sutham Phanthusak's report in the paper and it reminded me a little of the pot calling the kettle black. He built his successful business on the back of the Pattaya special "entertainment" type package. Now that he has a 5 star hotel he wants to get rid of Pattaya's seedy image and change the city into something that it isn't. Correct me if I am wrong, someone, but wasn't Pattaya once just a sleepy little fishing village before it became an R&R entertainment center for the military on leave? It reminds me of people who move next to a pig farm because the land is cheap and then complaining about the smell.

Obviously many tree huggers, do gooders, uninformed people, the argumentitive, lager louts, business people etc contributing to the post but it seems no Thai's that have actual influence on the subject, so my reply is if you don't like Pattaya bugger off to pathetic UK, war mongering USA, useless Austalia, credit crunced so called western ecomony, and before you critise Pattaya look at that bloke who locked his daughter away in Belgiam, baby P in UK, baby Climbie UK, shootings at schools in USA, look at the UK again, the amount of child molestation outweighs any where else in the world, need I go on?

Why would many people pay 5 star prices here? It is a beach resort without a nice beach. Perhaps these really high end places deserve to go under. That doesn't mean there aren't lower end places that can do well replacing them.

Also, mostly it is first time/only time tourists that go to Tiffany's shows. Repeat tourists have been there/done that. You've seen one ladyboy extravaganza, you've seen them all. BORING.

Edited by Jingthing