Road Traffic Accidents

sua yai

My wife was coming back from work last night at about 10.30pm. Three of her work collegues were on a motorcycle in front. A crazed up youth sped out of a side street and hit the front bike broadside.

The police were there pretty quickly. The young lad was breathalysed and needless to say was well over the limit. He was carted off to the local nick.

Whilst I know the breathalyser has existed here for some time, it's about the only instance I can remember of one actually being used.

My questions are, do the police use this method of catching drunk drivers regularly and what are the penalties if caught?

BTW, there were fortunately no serious injuries, although one of the girls had to pay 4,000 Baht to have her knee stitched up. I wonder whether our boy racer will foot that bill?

Just before Songkran last year I was driving up highway 331 from Pattaya on my way to Korat, and in a village just short of the intersection with 304 east of Chanchoengsao, the Police had the highway blocked and were breathalysing all motorists (trucks, buses, cars and motorcyclists).

The police had a quiet chuckle in an aside to my teeruk about how confidently I undertook the test (absolutely positively 0%), checked my Thai driving licence, and wished me good luck on my journey.

Very professionally and politely done. :D

I didn't see any breathalyser stops during or after Songkran though... :D

Only the ususal road blocks for the Police to collect "fines" for "driving offences". :o

I've never ever seen anyone breathalised here, didn't even know they had the devices to do it. My hubby's only been pulled over for speeding once here while we were on our way to Koh Chang, he gave the officer 500 Baht for 'Cigarettes and Whisky' and we were on our way again :o:D

I've never ever seen anyone breathalised here, didn't even know they had the devices to do it. My hubby's only been pulled over for speeding once here while we were on our way to Koh Chang, he gave the officer 500 Baht for 'Cigarettes and Whisky' and we were on our way again :o  :D

Wow... that was a sure way of getting back on the road with minimum fuss! :D

I usually only keep 200 baht behind my licence to pay for thos "offenses". :D

Wow... that was a sure way of getting back on the road with minimum fuss! :D

I usually only keep 200 baht behind my licence to pay for thos "offenses". :o

Yeah I spose he thought he'd have to share it with his pal down the road as he was the one with speed gun who clocked us and radioed up. The first, last and only time I've seen police using anything other than a pair of white gloves and a whistle on the roads here :D

It would be good to see the police do something useful in the streets,like making people (especially motorbikers) obey to the traffic regulations that actually do exist,including checking motorists for driving drunk.

It would be good to see the police do something useful in the streets,like making people (especially motorbikers) obey to the traffic regulations that actually do exist,including checking motorists for driving drunk.

That would require putting an air conditioned box every twenty or thirty feet. Think of the cost. :o

cv

There is a blitz every now and then near my place, we always leave the windows up and I slink down as the wife is scared the police will think we are drug dealers :D but other than that when I tell her to put her seat belt on she tells me it is ok, the police don't stop anyone at night time :o

In an interview in a local monthly magazine discussing the high rate of collisions in our area, A policeman was asked if he gave out tickets for traffic violations. His reply was, Not usually on the first offense . He validated that with, It wouldn't be fair to give people a ticket for violating traffic regulations because most people don't realize there are any.

A policeman was asked if he gave out tickets for traffic violations.  His reply was, Not usually on the first offense .  He validated that with, It wouldn't be fair to give people a ticket for violating traffic regulations because most people don't realize there are any.

Fantastic quote, I love it.

I think it may well apply to some Thai people who never took a test of any kind, but I think Farangs should be punished to the full extent of the law for Drinking and Driving, in their own countries they face possible jail terms and huge fines and a certain ban, so I think they have no exscuses.

I see so many farang in Thailand driving Cars and Motorcycles after staggering from a bar. !